Schon Cain Drama Increasing?

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Schon Cain Drama Increasing?

Postby ebake02 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:58 am

I agree with Neal's beef completely but I think he should really keep his mouth shut. After all, he ran off with a married White House crasher/reality tv star then married her on pay-per-view. I don't recall seeing Jon and Paula going to town in the Resonate video either.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:07 am

ebake02 wrote:I agree with Neal's beef completely but I think he should really keep his mouth shut. After all, he ran off with a married White House crasher/reality tv star then married her on pay-per-view. I don't recall seeing Jon and Paula going to town in the Resonate video either.
Good one :D :roll: :lol:
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:33 am

Art Vandelay wrote:This might be a silly question, but I'm asking because I was a casual fan during their 78-83 heyday, and didn't become a hardcore fan until their Greatest Hits album came out in '88.

Was it ever implied back then that Journey was Neal's band? Would any of the casual fans, prior to the internet and social media, even think this? I always knew that the band was started with Neal, but was it ever really marketed as his band? From all of the band history that I've read and research that I've done for the 78-83 time period, it always appeared to me that they were a collective unit, regardless of who was in the band at any particular time during that phase.

How Journey first formed is that after Schon and Rolie left Santana in about 1972/1973, Herbie Herbert wanted to start a new band that would feature Neal Schon as the most important member of the band.

Rolie was then asked to join the band and he accepted. Herbert had also previously worked with or otherwise known Ross Valory, George Tickner and Prairie Prince, and they were brought in.

There was the original "Golden Gate Rhythm Section" idea where Journey would work as the backing band for other performers. But that idea was quickly scrapped.

Of Course, Neal is also the only band member to have performed on every Journey album.

So it was planned right from the very first day that the band was to feature Neal above all.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:36 am

Memorex wrote:It's probably like every other male flight in history. At the root is probably the two wives.

I don't mean that to be sexist, but both seem like they could dislike each other.

I was already thinking that it appears that there are 2 Yoko Ono's that are negatively affecting the band.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby jestor92 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:42 pm

Has anyone asked JSS about this situation yet
jestor92
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:34 am

Journey’s Jonathan Cain makes journey of faith and music — faithfully

By Jeff Clark
jclark@sunherald.com

http://www.sunherald.com/entertainment/ ... 49309.html

You released your first album of Christian music last year. Is that something you hope to do again?

I have a Christmas album that I just completed ...

I love Christmas and I always wanted to make a Christmas album. God has ended up being the best co-writer I’ve ever had. I get these lyrics and I just go to town with them. I was in Vegas for three weeks and I wrote two new songs.

My second album is coming out in the spring. That’s how productive I’ve been...

:roll:

Well someone was writing new songs in Las Vegas, unfortunately not for Journey.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:44 am

Almost wonder if Jon originally wrote those songs to be Journey songs and Neal said no way. It would make sense with the "preserving the brand" angle Neal has been presenting.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:05 am

tater1977 wrote:Journey’s Jonathan Cain makes journey of faith and music — faithfully

By Jeff Clark
jclark@sunherald.com

You released your first album of Christian music last year. Is that something you hope to do again?

I love Christmas and I always wanted to make a Christmas album. God has ended up being the best co-writer I’ve ever had. I get these lyrics and I just go to town with them. I was in Vegas for three weeks and I wrote two new songs.

I remember at one point he was talking about doing a country album. He is pretty much just a musical grifter. At this point, he's got to go. He is riding the journey coattails.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Hollywood » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:54 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
tater1977 wrote:Journey’s Jonathan Cain makes journey of faith and music — faithfully

By Jeff Clark
jclark@sunherald.com

I remember at one point he was talking about doing a country album. He is pretty much just a musical grifter. At this point, he's got to go. He is riding the journey coattails.

The band just needs a break. Don't make any decisions until cooler heads prevail. I don't see a scenario where any of this helps Journey in the long run. Schon has done a ton of side projects. Far more than Jon. Jon has never publicly complained when Neal pulled his PR crap or put his new GF in a video. This should have and could have all been handled in-house. I don't see any outside options to fix the band. Rolie is most likely not into touring full scale anymore and how would he incorporate the Escape, Frontiers, and RoR material. All post Perry material would disappear. Steve Smith may be moving on soon, although he seems to be having fun. This shit can't help. Ross and Arnel have to choose sides and have no good options.

Jon is right that from a business standpoint the time, money and effort to record a new record makes no business sense for Journey. Jon has all the business people and managers on his side.

Neal is right when he says that creating new music is vital to a bands growth and vitality. Even if you take chances and launch a dud. (I loved Eclipse, many didn't) Neal has the fans on his side.
"We Were Born To Be Loved'"
Hollywood
LP

Postby George_g888 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:47 am

Hollywood wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

By Jeff Clark
jclark@sunherald.com

The band just needs a break. Don't make any decisions until cooler heads prevail. I don't see a scenario where any of this helps Journey in the long run. Schon has done a ton of side projects. Far more than Jon. Jon has never publicly complained when Neal pulled his PR crap or put his new GF in a video. This should have and could have all been handled in-house. I don't see any outside options to fix the band. Rolie is most likely not into touring full scale anymore and how would he incorporate the Escape, Frontiers, and RoR material. All post Perry material would disappear. Steve Smith may be moving on soon, although he seems to be having fun. This shit can't help. Ross and Arnel have to choose sides and have no good options.

Jon is right that from a business standpoint the time, money and effort to record a new record makes no business sense for Journey. Jon has all the business people and managers on his side.

Neal is right when he says that creating new music is vital to a bands growth and vitality. Even if you take chances and launch a dud. (I loved Eclipse, many didn't) Neal has the fans on his side.

This. Well said, I agree with these points you make.
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby tater1977 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:27 am

Will Neal Schon Shut JOURNEY Down?

posted by Bodhi

http://wbig.iheart.com/onair/bodhi-5511 ... -15897518/

Journey guitarist Neal Schon is threatening to pull the plug on the band if he and keyboardist Jonathan Cain can't get on the same page.

Schon, who objects to Cain sharing his religious and political opinions in concert, tweets, "If we can't agree I'll shut it down and go to court over our name. As I said before I'll protect it forever..."

Schon's tweet barrage also includes:
•"Jonathan apparently is telling people that we are not getting along because of creative differences. Not so. We haven't been creative."
•"Jonathan likes to say [our last album] Eclipse was not successful because it was not Journey friendly. It's my fault. Yes I wanted to rock but Jonathan wrote more than I did."
•"I've worked my ass off. I attribute our current success to great decisions on my part and great songs we wrote."
•"It's supposed to be an uplifting non-controlling atmosphere where people can feel one with the music. Not a scam... There's no way you win... everyone has different beliefs. It's not right. They come to be entertained, not brain washed."
•"I do not want Journey used in any way to promote evangelical beliefs. 'We are One Nation under God.' I believe this not only for Journey but ALL concerts. Music is the ONLY universal language that brings us together - eliminating hate - Pure."
•"Leave Journey music sacred. I don't care who wrote what. Its all Journey music."
•"I don't believe in holding onto crap... brush it off and move on. Life is precious and short."
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby George_g888 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:03 am

tater1977 wrote:Will Neal Schon Shut JOURNEY Down?

posted by Bodhi

Journey guitarist Neal Schon is threatening to pull the plug on the band if he and keyboardist Jonathan Cain can't get on the same page.

Schon, who objects to Cain sharing his religious and political opinions in concert, tweets, "If we can't agree I'll shut it down and go to court over our name. As I said before I'll protect it forever..."

•"Jonathan apparently is telling people that we are not getting along because of creative differences. Not so. We haven't been creative."
•"Jonathan likes to say [our last album] Eclipse was not successful because it was not Journey friendly. It's my fault. Yes I wanted to rock but Jonathan wrote more than I did."
•"I've worked my ass off. I attribute our current success to great decisions on my part and great songs we wrote."
•"It's supposed to be an uplifting non-controlling atmosphere where people can feel one with the music. Not a scam... There's no way you win... everyone has different beliefs. It's not right. They come to be entertained, not brain washed."
•"I do not want Journey used in any way to promote evangelical beliefs. 'We are One Nation under God.' I believe this not only for Journey but ALL concerts. Music is the ONLY universal language that brings us together - eliminating hate - Pure."
•"Leave Journey music sacred. I don't care who wrote what. Its all Journey music."
•"I don't believe in holding onto crap... brush it off and move on. Life is precious and short."

IDK what he says to his bandmates about religion or politcs offstage/behind closed doors. But one thing is forsure, JC has never used Journey concerts to promote religion or politics.
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby nylady » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:28 am

This whole thing should never have been aired out on social media. Talk it out (or yell it out) in private. It's not like they don't see each other. The band is on tour, there must be rehearsals and sound checks. It has to be making things uncomfortable for the rest of the band and the road crew. And having fans chime in on what should be private band business is just poor taste and horrible public relations.

Next they will be seating fans like they are at a wedding, Schon fans on this side, Cain fans on that side.
nylady
Radio Waves

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:39 pm

nylady wrote:This whole thing should never have been aired out on social media. Talk it out (or yell it out) in private. It's not like they don't see each other. The band is on tour, there must be rehearsals and sound checks. It has to be making things uncomfortable for the rest of the band and the road crew. And having fans chime in on what should be private band business is just poor taste and horrible public relations.

Next they will be seating fans like they are at a wedding, Schon fans on this side, Cain fans on that side.

I agree with you in theory.

However, Journey desperately need to release a new album, and they desperately need to shake up the live concert sets by cutting down on the dirty dozen and playing more deep cuts.

It appears that either Cain is unwilling to record a new album, or that he's trying to turn Journey into a Christian Rock band? The overwhelming majority of us fans do not want Journey turned into a Christian Rock band, even those of us who are Christians.
Schon is correct on insisting that Journey not involve its-self too much in religion or politics.

If Cain is insisting on incorporating religion or politics into the band, then he needs to leave the band.

However, if Cain is unwilling to leave the band for the simple fact that he makes tons of money from being in the band, then Schon kind of has no choice but to call Cain out on his agenda publicly.

One band member (In this case Cain) has no right to hold the rest of the band (And its fans) hostage. He either needs to record a new non-religious and non-political Journey album, or he needs to leave the band.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:43 pm

Best comment on twitter today... :P

Fast PRO Photos‏ @fastprophotos · 40m40 minutes ago

Can't look away from the @TheJonathanCain @NealSchonMusic feud. Like watching seniors fight over the remote at the retirement home.
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Moonglow » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:44 pm

I can’t express how sad all of this makes me feel as a Journey fan, seeing my favorite band starting to fracture. I almost feel like I’m starting to go through a grieving process. I’ve also been a huge Jonathan fan over the years, but get the sense that his “core” has substantially shifted, and wonder how much remains that genuinely aligns with contributing to the growth of Journey. As many have noted, his stoic performances are a shell of what they used to be, devoid of all energy and enthusiasm. In contrast, "Deeper than Deep" seems to have that some of that early magic…fresh, alive, vibrant. I recently read an article where Jonathan said his “creative fire” that was “missing for a long time since the 80’s” returned with his new album, the making of which he characterized as “effortless” and “one of the easiest things” he has done since Escape. I found these statements to be very telling of where his heart and creative passion reside.
Moonglow
Radio Waves

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:23 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:Next they will be seating fans like they are at a wedding, Schon fans on this side, Cain fans on that side.

The Schon side will be packed and the Cain side will be empty. :lol: Just kidding!
JourneyHard
LP

Postby FamilyMan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:25 am

George_g888 wrote:

posted by Bodhi

IDK what he says to his bandmates about religion or politcs offstage/behind closed doors. But one thing is forsure, JC has never used Journey concerts to promote religion or politics.

Do we know this to be fact? I haven't seen them live since last spring, where Cain had no dialogue with the audience. Has something changed lately? Is he espousing religion or politics on stage?
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby Onestepper » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:36 am

I'm sorry but I still fail to see where Cain has brought his religious beliefs or politics into their shows. Unless I'm missing something that he has done or said on stage recently, I think that accusation isn't credible.

Also, Neal keeps retweeting the same 5 tweets over and over (most of the one's already posted in this thread). He does it at all hours of the day and night. So maybe someone is running his social media and scheduling posts to run at 3am, or the guy is just obsessed about getting his side of the story out. It's becoming quite sad.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby brywool » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:38 am

Is it possible that Jon is lobbying the band to do a religious album and that's where the issue is? Or maybe he's saying "I will only do a Journey album if it glorifies God"...? I haven't heard that, but I've seen similar situations. If the guys' religious/political views are not interjected into what Journey produces, then there really shouldn't be an issue. Jon can support who he wants politically on his on Twitter page/FB page, etc. But when it comes to what Journey does as a band, it should be apolitical, just keep it out of the band. Why is that a problem?

THEY NEED TO TAKE SOME TIME OFF BEFORE THEY DO SOMETHING THEY WILL REGRET.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby George_g888 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:47 am

FamilyMan wrote:
George_g888 wrote:

posted by Bodhi

Do we know this to be fact? I haven't seen them live since last spring, where Cain had no dialogue with the audience. Has something changed lately? Is he espousing religion or politics on stage?

Yes. I saw them this March, and last august. The only time Cain always speaks to the crowd is before Faithfully, telling the same story on how he wrote it on a bus ride in 1982 to new york and after he dedicates the song to the armed forces. No politics or religion involved. Im confident that any one who went to a show after the most recent one I attended will say the same thing.
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:53 am

George_g888 wrote:Yes. I saw them this March, and last august. The only time Cain always speaks to the crowd is before Faithfully, telling the same story on how he wrote it on a bus ride in 1982 to new york and after he dedicates the song to the armed forces. No politics or religion involved. Im confident that any one who went to a show after the most recent one I attended will say the same thing.

It's the same canned speech night after night. That's about the level of creativity Cain is bringing to the stage these days.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby tater1977 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:47 am

Neal Schon's JRNY‏ @NealSchonMusic · 11 hours ago

Funny how some are manufacturing that I'm Ending the band... Did anyone out there hear me say this ? I said Protect the Brand we built
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:29 am

Really wouldn't surprise me if Neal starts telling Management to no longer allow Cain to give interviews. To a degree, he would be right. The goal is to promote Journey and instead the first words out of Cain's mouth are: "If I can help win over some souls to the Kingdom, then it’s a real blessing."

Can you imagine how obnoxious this pious pete must be on tour? All I can say is, I hope the pussy was worth it. Sounds like in return for being with Paula White, Cain traded in his brain and identity.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby 4everkop » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:33 am

4everkop
45 RPM

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:18 am

Man, they're reaching Beach Boys level of FUBAR. It's a shame to see this all go down so soon after their celebrated night at the hall of fame.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:56 am

Is Neal fighting with management too :?:
This was in ref to a Tupelo review.

Neal Schon's JRNY‏ @NealSchonMusic · 13h13 hours ago

Isn't that funny for some reason Managment doesn't care for REAL reviews. Only prewritten of whom they want to feature. Was it good ?
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:17 am

4everkop wrote:Well theres this

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVIJW20hJPD/

Neal & Michaele Schon

'Jon Cain is trying in press to
removing my name from songs I
wrote
Don't Stop Believin with Perry and
Cain
Well
I am removing him from my life
No dark funk energy and using
Journey to sell his personal gain
and take from poor
people

Journey remains
With Love & Light
Our souls are free in that'

-NS now madder at JC because JC didn't give him credit for helping write DSB
in the Sunherald interview - So that's why the above new instagram from NS.

Neal Schon's JRNY‏ @NealSchonMusic · 16h16 hours ago
Last time I checked I wrote 1/3 of DSB shouldn't it say JC on writing the lyrics to DSB with SP ? Convenient amnesia

- This from JC'S Sunherald interview -

'We were both struggling. We were the “singer in the smoky room” in that song. We just wanted to roll the dice one more time — and we won with that one.'
Jonathan Cain on writing “Don’t Stop Believin’” with Steve Perry
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Gideon » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:50 am

Christ Almighty. Nowhere does Cain say the song was written by just him and Perry, all he said is that he and Perry were coming from the same place and had the same inspiration when the song was written.

Way to read into things Neal.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby brandonx76 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:15 am

Damn...that doesn't bode well..how are they going to finish the tour now??

And honestly another blues album? Who cares...
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

PreviousNext

Return to Journey