Schon Cain Drama Increasing?

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Schon Cain Drama Increasing?

Postby Jeremey » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:07 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Neal's branding of the band as "Neal Schon's JRNY" almost makes it appear as if he is planning his own version of the group. The dynamics at play here are very juicy. Neal mentioned he still "holds the keys" to the band. With that said, I don't think he has the power to force Cain out. Maybe Neal is plotting his own exit.

Can absolutely confirm that this has been a concept going around since at least 2007. Not to force Cain out, but that the idea of "JRNY" - literally that spelling - was brought up as an "escape" clause by Neal 10 years ago, that he could produce music that didn't necessarily measure up to the commercial expectations of Journey the Brand, but still somehow remind people of that brand.

Like, "I can do a record as JRNY and make the kind of music I want, then make a record as Journey with the kind of music people expect to hear."
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby Andrew » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:44 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Im wonderin if Drew will break a story tonight about this. From way Neal is talking it sounds like Cain is already out. Who knows...

Post made :)
Andrew
Administrator

Postby BRETT5150 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:51 pm

Man I never saw this coming.....
What is understood need not be discussed
BRETT5150
Ol' 78

Postby FamilyMan » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:24 pm

Inevitable. After the commercial failure of Eclipse, you could sense the frustration of Cain building - knowing the "legacy sound" something they're stuck with, but can't really replicate without a real writing genius like Perry. Bottom line is, his marriage to Paula - the move to Nashville - the boredom of Journey' s dirty dozen... It's all carried Jon away from Journey, spiritually and creatively. Neal eventually comes to resent anyone who tries to assume any control over HIS band (including the aforementioned Perry). I also think Neal's social media bromance with Perry after HOF got to Jon. The real rift in this band is between him and Perry.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby SoonerThunder » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:14 am

I guess I need to bring some popcorn to the Tulsa show tonight!

I'll let y'all know if anything blows up during the gig.
SoonerThunder
Radio Waves

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:17 am

FamilyMan wrote:Inevitable. After the commercial failure of Eclipse, you could sense the frustration of Cain building - knowing the "legacy sound" something they're stuck with, but can't really replicate without a real writing genius like Perry. Bottom line is, his marriage to Paula - the move to Nashville - the boredom of Journey' s dirty dozen... It's all carried Jon away from Journey, spiritually and creatively. Neal eventually comes to resent anyone who tries to assume any control over HIS band (including the aforementioned Perry). I also think Neal's social media bromance with Perry after HOF got to Jon. The real rift in this band is between him and Perry.

Jon's apathy towards Journey creatively extends way before Eclipse. Long before. After Arrival, he swore off any more Journey albums. He's been a stick in the mud. Any new material has been because Neal wanted to record.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby perryfan61 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:41 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Neal's branding of the band as "Neal Schon's JRNY" almost makes it appear as if he is planning his own version of the group. The dynamics at play here are very juicy. Neal mentioned he still "holds the keys" to the band. With that said, I don't think he has the power to force Cain out. Maybe Neal is plotting his own exit.

Neal is so determined to force this issue, you have to wonder what's going on in his head. To call it "NealSchon'sJRNY" seems unnecessary to anyone but him, and will only piss off everyone else in the band. Maybe that's what he wants, hoping that JC will just leave, but he should remember the fans are fans of the band, not just him.

After reading Jeremy's post, it makes more sense. Thanks for the insight, Jeremy.
Last edited by perryfan61 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Memorex » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:48 am

This all sounds interesting and intriguing and then I stop and think - first world problems.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:20 am

Neal Schon's JRNY‏ @NealSchonMusic · 10m10 minutes ago

http://melodicrock.com/articles/news-fe ... es-project

- - - NEAL SCHON Looks Beyond Drama; Talking With JOHN WAITE For Blues Project
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:37 am

I'd love to hear the product of another John Waite/Neal Schon collaboration. I always thought something was there. Bad English sounded great. Neal mentioned bringing Deen Castronovo on board- let's hear some Bad English live
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby ebake02 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:15 am

I vote to give Jon a year off and journey does an album and tour with Gregg
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby marco17 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:41 am

The JRNY thing's been around a while like Jeremy mentioned. If anyone remembers, it was used on one of the Red 13 covers.

The difference with Jon and Neal the last few years is that I don't think Neal cares whether it sells commercially in large volumes, he just wants to create under the J banner. Cain appears to only want to do DBS 2.0 on every album and doesn't seem to understand that the old days of selling tons of units is no longer the way the business works.
Attachments
Red13original.jpg
Red13original.jpg (8.45 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
Last edited by marco17 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
marco17
8 Track

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:47 am

There is no ifs, ands, or buts about it that the biggest reasons why Revelation sold way better than Eclipse is because of the publicity that Journey/Revelation got from Oprah, Ellen, CBS's morning show, the Arnel discovered on Youtube story-line, the live DVD being packaged with Revelation and the Greatest Hits remakes disc being packaged with Revelation.

Cain is full of crap when he tries to claim that Eclipse didn't sell as well because of the somewhat harder Rock direction that Eclipse took. The problem is that Eclipse didn't have those other things to help it sell that Revelation did.

But because Cain wants to play nothing more than more piano ballads (Which there are more than enough of already) he makes false-claims about why Eclipse didn't sell as well as Revelation.

Like I've said, ideally Cain would remain in Journey.

But if he's unwilling to record a new album. If he insists on turning Journey into a Christian Rock band, or a "political band," if he insists on a new album filled with ballads, or if he insists on playing nothing but the dirty dozen live......Then he needs to be replaced!

As for Ross Valory......
Again, I'd definitely prefer that he remains the bands bass player. But if he is also holding the band back from recording new material or from making other improvements like bringing Gregg Rolie back into the band, or from bringing back new life to the live sets....Then he needs to be replaced too!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:54 am

marco17 wrote:The JRNY thing's been around a while like Jeremy mentioned. If anyone remembers, it was used on one of the Red 13 covers.

The difference with Jon and Neal the last few years is that I don't thin Neal cares whether it sells commercially in large volumes, he just wants to create J-type music. Cain appears to only want to do DBS 2.0 on every album and doesn't seem to understand that the old days of selling tons of units is no longer the way the business works.

Agreed! Cain is completely out of touch with how the music business works these days. He doesn't realize that even if they recorded another "Escape" like album it still wouldn't sell millions of copies. And if it's not going to sell millions of copies, then he isn't interested in making a new Journey album. Because Cain is all about the Benjamins these days. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:11 am

I understand that the music business is much different these days, but even if they make a new album, would they play it while on tour? Most casual fans would not know about it, and would not want to hear it, they only want the DD.
There seems to be no solution. The band only makes money by touring, and most fans only want to hear the classic play list. It must be so frustrating to be Journey these days.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:39 am

perryfan61 wrote:I understand that the music business is much different these days, but even if they make a new album, would they play it while on tour? Most casual fans would not know about it, and would not want to hear it, they only want the DD.
There seems to be no solution. The band only makes money by touring, and most fans only want to hear the classic play list. It must be so frustrating to be Journey these days.

If this JRNY concept is a real thing, it probably would be the only solution that would work for Neal's creative desires. It would give him more freedom to pick and choose from the entire catalogue for live performances, without having to stay faithful to the original arrangement or be stuck playing the dirty dozen. He could have a revolving door of musicians, depending on the type of record or live performance he has in mind (this would allow Smith to continue to be part of the project without having to commit full time). Hell, this could be an opportunity to bring Perry back for a one-off unplugged session!

If it's time to put Journey to rest, this is a cool way to keep the legacy alive and fresh.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:42 am

Journey's Neal Schon and Jonathan Cain Are At-Odds Over Politics, Religion, Band Direction

posted by Andrew Magnotta

http://971doubleq.iheart.com/onair/rock ... -15886925/
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Sighlence » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:45 am

Schon is so full of himself - It's always someone else's fault. Visions of 'Behind The Music' dancing in my head. Just retire the name Journey already and be done with it..
Sighlence
Radio Waves

Postby perryfan61 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:49 am

tater1977 wrote:Journey's Neal Schon and Jonathan Cain Are At-Odds Over Politics, Religion, Band Direction

posted by Andrew Magnotta

http://971doubleq.iheart.com/onair/rock ... -15886925/

Wow!! Jonathan sounds like he's had enough. Wonder if there is any way back for these two? Touring must be a real blast for them these days :( :x
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:49 am

Journey’s Neal Schon and Jonathan Cain Appear to Be Feuding

By Nick DeRiso June 5, 2017

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/journey- ... ter_mobile

Journey is in the midst of a public rift, just months after their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Co-founding member Neal Schon has taken aim at long-time keyboardist Jonathan Cain on social media, even as the band continues a previously announced tour with Asia. They memorably disagreed about the direction of Journey’s last album, and on whether they should record a follow up, but these comments point to new fractures within the band.

“I want to be elevated by whom I play with, not feel like I’ve got cement shoes,” Schon said yesterday via Instagram. “If anyone is unhappy they are not running my band, then they should leave.”

Schon did not offer an official comment when contacted by Ultimate Classic Rock for this story; Journey’s band representative hasn’t yet responded. We will update this story when new information arrives.

Schon started the band with Gregg Rolie after they left Santana in the early ’70s; Cain joined in 1980, when Rolie left to focus on his family. Already platinum-level artists, Journey then reached arena-rock megastardom on the strength of songs written by Steve Perry, Schon and Cain like “Don’t Stop Believin’,” “Faithfully” and “Be Good to Yourself.” Perry’s late-’90s exit eventually led to Arnel Pineda‘s current tenure as frontman.

More recently, Cain has established a tandem career in solo faith music after marrying Paula White-Cain, a minister who delivered the invocation at Donald Trump’s presidential inauguration. Schon indicates that this has become a point of contention.

“I’ve stated how I felt about mixing religion and politics and how our music is not of one religion – Democratic or Republican,” Schon said in the same Instagram update. “This is and has been an issue with myself Mr. Cain and his now wife, since he married. I’ve had to fight this whole time to protect the brand I built with Steve Perry, way before Gregg and I picked Cain to replace himself when he wanted to retire from the road back then. Well frankly, I’m tired of having to defend all by my self. [Fellow co-founding Journey member] Ross [Valory] is no help.”

Cain appeared to address the issue last night. Pineda also offered an inspirational message this morning, though the latter could be directed toward those who’ve suffered a weekend terror attack in the U.K.

By then, Schon had already asserted his own foundational role by changing his Twitter handle to “Neal Schon’s JRNY.” “As Jon Cain said to me when we started to rebuild: You have keys and you are the main member,” Schon said yesterday. “Convenient amnesia; I still have the keys.” He also retweeted a series of fan messages underlining his own arguments. “I’m not the problem,” Schon added, in another tweet.

Journey’s most recent studio effort was 2011’s Eclipse, a more guitar-oriented effort that debuted at No. 13 but failed to replicate their million-selling success of 2008’s Revelation, also with Pineda. Cain made it clear that he felt the musical shift was a mistake in 2013 – calling Eclipse “a departure. It was Neal’s ‘I wanna do one this way once’ — and so we did. We did a heavy, rock n’ roll record. And it kinda wasn’t received very well here in the states.”

Cain later said was unsure whether they should ever record another full-length album, sparking a memorable retort from Schon in 2015: “It’s like pulling teeth,” he said. Schon has since shifted his focus, working with both present and past members of Journey on solo albums and a reunion with the early-’70s lineup of Santana.

How all of this ultimately impacts the future of the band remains unclear. Already announced concert dates – including tonight’s show at Tulsa, Okla., where it’s been proclaimed Neal Schon Day in honor of the state’s native son – are continuing. But Schon is hinting at changes down the road, including a possible reunion with former Bad English bandmate John Waite.

“I continue to grow and be completely creative and want to take the band Neal Schon’s JRNY on an exciting new trip musically,” he said, via the earlier Instagram post. “Yes, we will always have all hits to play, but there must be musical growth also. I also need to surround myself with people that care as I do.”
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:55 am

Looks like Journey might be finished, and JRNY might be Neal's new direction. I guess the stone will not only be broken, but be completely shattered.

I guess they can't go on stuck in a rut any longer, so maybe it's time to move on.
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Archetype » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:55 am

"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:02 am

Wonder who came up with Radio Station JRNY back in the promo for ROR.
If its Stevie, better get a lawyer Schon. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzKP56Wt2gU

Seriously Cain makes me sick, how he dumped his long standing wife for a charlatan mega church "pastor" who used to f*ck
Benny Hinn, a faith healer, who heals no one.

Good Riddance Jon. See you in Hell.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:19 am

tulsafmac
Woody Guthrie Center

https://www.instagram.com/p/BU-LwI-giJH ... =tulsafmac

tulsafmac It's #NealSchon Day in the @cityoftulsa!

We were honored to read the proclamation with Jeff Moore of @okpopmuseum. Thank you Mayor @gtbynum for honoring the #Journey Founder and Oklahoman! @nealschon @carolmatza @woodyguthriecenter #Music #Legend #Tulsa
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby brywool » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:24 am

I think this is COMPLETELY stupid. Neal's great. Jon's great. But "Neal Schon's JRNY"?? C'mon Neal, you can't be serious.
It's great that Neal shares with fans via twitter, fb, etc., but stuff that can damage the relationship probably shouldn't be aired publicly. It'll make it much harder to fix things and kind of pinpointing Ross too... I dunno, I don't think those are smart moves.
Online accounts are like that. You get pissed, you gotta vent, boom! Facebook post.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Abitaman » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:45 am

Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:00 am

Sighlence wrote:Schon is so full of himself - It's always someone else's fault. Visions of 'Behind The Music' dancing in my head. Just retire the name Journey already and be done with it..

In all honesty. It usually has been someone else's fault. Perry being a dictator with the Raised On Radio album and tour, even though it was/is first and foremost Neal's band. And now Cain trying to turn Journey into his own personal band to promote his/his-wife's agenda, and by insisting on keeping the band stuck in neutral, just collecting paychecks.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:01 am

Archetype wrote:Steve Augeri just chimed in on it.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1821109632

What did Augeri say?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:13 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:
Archetype wrote:Steve Augeri just chimed in on it.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1821109632

What did Augeri say?

"It's common to see two strong willed persons at odds, as long as it doesn't jeopardize the Yin and Yang of creativity. Don't Stop..#Journey"
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby fsutall » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:14 am

Hard for me not to side with Schon on this issue based on my interactions with JC over the past couple of years here in Nashville. I've hesitated to post about this here, but I've had reason to interact with him at least a half dozen times, and without fail he has been standoffish at best, and blatantly rude more often than not.

He usually responds to a polite "hello" or "good morning" with no response at all, but more than once has sighed extremely loudly, rolled his eyes or muttered under his breath in response to a simple greeting. And no, I have never pestered him with Journey-related questions, never asked for autographs, photos, etc. He has no reason to know I'm a fan. I know we all have bad days sometimes, but for him to be so consistently rude IMO reflects on his true nature. I will say that Paula is always very nice and friendly, and in fact mildly scolded him once in front of me for his behavior.
fsutall
Ol' 78

PreviousNext

Return to Journey