Schon Cain Drama Increasing?

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Schon Cain Drama Increasing?

Postby Archetype » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:00 am

JourneyHard wrote:Make a new album with Perry, Rolie, Schon, Valory, and Smith. Then if Perry doesn't want to tour, have Arnel do the tour. Would that be too awkward?

Maybe bring Perry in as a songwriter, but not as a vocalist. Let Arnel handle that.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:41 am

Archetype wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:Make a new album with Perry, Rolie, Schon, Valory, and Smith. Then if Perry doesn't want to tour, have Arnel do the tour. Would that be too awkward?

Maybe bring Perry in as a songwriter, but not as a vocalist. Let Arnel handle that.

This was discussed back during the post TBF days. Despite Perry approving of Arnel, I really can't see it happening now either.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Memorex » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:15 pm

From Facebook.

Neal, My Love
Your Journey 72-Eternity
Blessed You are to protect The Legacy You , Gregg Rolie and Steve Perry Built!
So many formations, talented members you have had join you!
Excited for the evolution again!
I love you
Your Lady M

Sounds like maybe Jon is done at some point soon.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Gideon » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:43 pm

Yeah, Neal's FB, Twitter, and instagram are replete with egomaniacal comments from him (or from others that he's simply retweeted) about how Journey's only ever been about him or him & Steve Perry and how Jon Cain doesn't sell tickets and that the songs Cain wrote would've been irrelevant without him (or him in SP).
Love Schon's playing and I'm sure JC has contributed negatively to the situation, but Neal's really giving vent to his inner narcissist. It's a truly ugly, awkward thing to behold. And boy, oh boy is he milking the SP reunion at the Hall of Fame for all it's worth.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:56 pm

Memorex wrote:From Facebook.

Neal, My Love
Your Journey 72-Eternity
I love you
Your Lady M

I agree. Weird comment. Isn't she on the tour with him?
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Gideon » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:03 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Memorex wrote:From Facebook.

Neal, My Love
Your Journey 72-Eternity
I love you
Your Lady M

I agree. Weird comment. Isn't she on the tour with him?

What are your thoughts on this shit, TNC?
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:41 pm

Neal Schon and Jonathan Cain Are Having A Little Spat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1CrKHCjFb8
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tj » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:44 pm

Schon and Trump seem to have both graduated from the school of twitter misusage.

If I am Ross, who was kicked to the curb once already in the Journey saga, I am keeping my mouth shut, fingers crossed and staying out of it.

If I am Arnel, I get back to Manila ASAP and try to stay in Neal's good graces. Any continuation of Journey or JRNY with me in it depends on Neal.

If I am Smith, I am saying a prayer that I only signed on for 2 years. Neal and Jon allowed Perry to punt Ross and I years ago, I got hosed again in the Perry hip post-TBF drama, and I really liked doing my own thing. If this is how it's going to be, screw it, I will play jazz.

If I am Rolie, I am asking myself if I really want to be a sideman for "Neal's band", especially when he seems to be unhinged on Twitter.

Neal forgets that though it may be "his band", the songs are what people keep coming back for. Every role except him has been replaced at one time or another. No one but the people on this board care that he is there anymore. Hundreds of guys can play his licks on the money making setlist, just like every other role. If anyone wasn't replaceable, it was Perry, and for 20 years the band has been making good money without him.

If it really is Neal's band, then he can do what he wants. He should really listen to Azoff before he pulls the trigger on leaving Journey behind. He might still choose to do it, but at least won'the be surprised when most people don't even know or care what he does next.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:52 pm

tj wrote:Schon and Trump seem to have both graduated from the school of twitter misusage.

If I am Ross, who was kicked to the curb once already in the Journey saga, I am keeping my mouth shut, fingers crossed and staying out of it.

If I am Arnel, I get back to Manila ASAP and try to stay in Neal's good graces. Any continuation of Journey or JRNY with me in it depends on Neal.

If I am Smith, I am saying a prayer that I only signed on for 2 years. Neal and Jon allowed Perry to punt Ross and I years ago, I got hosed again in the Perry hip post-TBF drama, and I really liked doing my own thing. If this is how it's going to be, screw it, I will play jazz.

If I am Rolie, I am asking myself if I really want to be a sideman for "Neal's band", especially when he seems to be unhinged on Twitter.

Neal forgets that though it may be "his band", the songs are what people keep coming back for. Every role except him has been replaced at one time or another. No one but the people on this board care that he is there anymore. Hundreds of guys can play his licks on the money making setlist, just like every other role. If anyone wasn't replaceable, it was Perry, and for 20 years the band has been making good money without him.

If it really is Neal's band, then he can do what he wants. He should really listen to Azoff before he pulls the trigger on leaving Journey behind. He might still choose to do it, but at least won'the be surprised when most people don't even know or care what he does next.

I agree that Ross needs to try to stay on Neal's good side right now.

I doubt that Neal would be looking to replace Smith. The only way that I could see Neal deciding to replace Smith by his own choosing would be if he was bringing back Deen.

I don't really agree on the idea that Perry was harder to replace than Schon.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby slucero » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:12 pm

I think Neal finds Smith more challenging from a musical perspective... Deen is a great drummer, but Smith is on a whole other level expressively on drums.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:52 pm

Gideon wrote:What are your thoughts on this shit, TNC?

It would appear to me that Neal is lashing out at Cain on social media because he gave Management an ultimatum and they refused to listen. I have no proof of this. Just my best guess. At the height of Tapegate, Schon wanted Augeri out but he never publicly attacked the guy like this.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Gideon » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:56 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Gideon wrote:What are your thoughts on this shit, TNC?

It would appear to me that Neal is lashing out at Cain on social media because he gave Management an ultimatum and they refused to listen. I have no proof of this. Just my best guess.

Judging from recent comments by Neal on Twitter, your satirical remarks about JC wanting to release a Journey-adjacent Christian solo album might not be too off the mark lol. NS says if he has to, he'll shut it all down and go to court over the name Journey.

I'm with Schon on two fronts: I want more Journey music and I want Journey music to remain apolitical and non-religious. But he's also being a titanic ass on Twitter, insulting and retweeting posts denigrating Cain. And he's blatantly milking the affable reunion for Perry for all it's worth.

Where do you stand in the divide?
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:01 pm

Gideon wrote:
Where do you stand in the divide?

Schon should just write new Journey tunes with someone else like Jack Blades. If Cain won't record them or play them live, he should be fired.
Schon's side projects have always existed alongside Journey. However, Cain's religious music has obviously supplanted his interest and focus on Journey. He's even footing the bill for music videos (link included).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqIOI1W-r7g
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:10 pm

Sighlence wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:
There was no stone to fracture. Perry's lack of activity speaks for itself.

Yeah right - Keep telling yourself that.

Don't tell me you're one of the loons who truly believes that Perry has only done half a tour the last 31 years because of Schon somewhow?

Honest to Rock Gods. After Perry endorsed Arnel at the Rock HOF I really thought this shit would be put the rest.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:45 am

This might be a silly question, but I'm asking because I was a casual fan during their 78-83 heyday, and didn't become a hardcore fan until their Greatest Hits album came out in '88.

Was it ever implied back then that Journey was Neal's band? Would any of the casual fans, prior to the internet and social media, even think this? I always knew that the band was started with Neal, but was it ever really marketed as his band? From all of the band history that I've read and research that I've done for the 78-83 time period, it always appeared to me that they were a collective unit, regardless of who was in the band at any particular time during that phase.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby Greg » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:07 am

Art Vandelay wrote:This might be a silly question, but I'm asking because I was a casual fan during their 78-83 heyday, and didn't become a hardcore fan until their Greatest Hits album came out in '88.

Was it ever implied back then that Journey was Neal's band? Would any of the casual fans, prior to the internet and social media, even think this? I always knew that the band was started with Neal, but was it ever really marketed as his band? From all of the band history that I've read and research that I've done for the 78-83 time period, it always appeared to me that they were a collective unit, regardless of who was in the band at any particular time during that phase.

I didn't become a hardcore fan until about '86, so I don't know how the band was marketed. Seems like by the 80's, it was Perry, Schon, and Cain's band. Before Cain, I imagine it was marketed more as Schon and Rolie's band, although I would have been too young back then to know.
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby marco17 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:47 am

Greg wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:This might be a silly question, but I'm asking because I was a casual fan during their 78-83 heyday, and didn't become a hardcore fan until their Greatest Hits album came out in '88.

I didn't become a hardcore fan until about '86, so I don't know how the band was marketed. Seems like by the 80's, it was Perry, Schon, and Cain's band. Before Cain, I imagine it was marketed more as Schon and Rolie's band, although I would have been too young back then to know.

I think it has been implied because he started it with Rollie. However, as we all know, their ascend to the top basically happened once it was the Schon, Perry, & Cain show.
marco17
8 Track

Postby marco17 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:06 am

All harping aside... does the average Journey fan even know the guys names? Think Foreigner here...with only Mick Jones... I mean, if they can move on from Perry and do well with Augeri and Arnel over the last 20 years, would anyone really notice if Cain wasn't there if they played the songs? No doubt Neal could find someone who can play them. At this point the legacy songs have been written, Cain is not essential if they are going to go play the greatest hits and some new Schon-style Journey material.
marco17
8 Track

Postby slucero » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:20 am

marco17 wrote:All harping aside... does the average Journey fan even know the guys names? Think Foreigner here...with only Mick Jones... I mean, if they can move on from Perry and do well with Augeri and Arnel over the last 20 years, would anyone really notice if Cain wasn't there if they played the songs? No doubt Neal could find someone who can play them. At this point the legacy songs have been written, Cain is not essential if they are going to go play the greatest hits and some new Schon-style Journey material.

Truth.

Of all the members they can lose.. Cain would be the easiest... any competent keyboard player could play those parts and sing backup.

If Schon can successfully dump Cain he's got another reunion tour in the bag... it would be another payday for Rolie too..

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby tater1977 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:03 am

They are playing with 2 keyboardists on stage now, every night.
Plus Travis sings background and a solo once in a while.
But he being Jon's friend, would he walk out with Jon if
Jon left :?:
If Jon walks, then they still have a keyboardist left to finish the tour.
And if Schon wants to replace him after the tour, there ya go.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:27 am

Neal Schon's JRNY‏ @NealSchonMusic · 2h2 hours ago
I've worked my ass off. I attribute our current success to great decisions on my part and great songs we wrote.

Neal Schon's JRNY‏ @NealSchonMusic · 2h2 hours ago
No but I'm going to ask for it back

macmcc1961‏ @macmcc1961
@NealSchonMusic Hi Neal, do you still have the Peavy double-neck you played on "Precious Time"? One of my favorite songs. Thanks!

Neal Schon's JRNY‏ @NealSchonMusic

Jonathan apparently is telling people that we are not getting along because of creative differences. Not so. We haven't been creative.

Neal Schon's JRNY‏Verified account @NealSchonMusic · 2h2 hours ago

He likes to say Eclipse was not successful because it was not JRNY friendly it's my fault. Yes I wanted 2rock but JC wrote more than I did
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:44 am

Let Cain go do his thing. Bring in Gregg Rolie problem solved.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Majestic » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:11 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
FamilyMan wrote:Inevitable. After the commercial failure of Eclipse, you could sense the frustration of Cain building - knowing the "legacy sound" something they're stuck with, but can't really replicate without a real writing genius like Perry. Bottom line is, his marriage to Paula - the move to Nashville - the boredom of Journey' s dirty dozen... It's all carried Jon away from Journey, spiritually and creatively. Neal eventually comes to resent anyone who tries to assume any control over HIS band (including the aforementioned Perry). I also think Neal's social media bromance with Perry after HOF got to Jon. The real rift in this band is between him and Perry.

Jon's apathy towards Journey creatively extends way before Eclipse. Long before. After Arrival, he swore off any more Journey albums. He's been a stick in the mud. Any new material has been because Neal wanted to record.

I always think about Cain in the behind the music documentary lamenting about the corporate rock label. Well, corporations are about making money and if money is the only thing that helps him find his muse, then, sadly, Cain seems to be the corporate rocker after all. I think that's sad. Nothing wrong with a hit or commercial success, but there is something about the love of music and the art itself.
Majestic
8 Track

Postby Onestepper » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:03 am

As much as I've loved what Cain has brought to the band, I've always had an uneasy feeling that his efforts weren't always what was best for the band, but what's best for Cain. Obviously that has to happen with any artist to some degree. But all of this is just down right silly. And I'm sure the last thing Schon wants is a legal battle, but it's probably better to just move on from Cain and find someone that really wants to be in and part of the band and the music.

It also would be nice if they stopped airing all of this on social media. Be adults, sit down and work it out. But stop the drama.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:06 am

tater1977 wrote:Neal Schon's JRNY‏ @NealSchonMusic · 2h2 hours ago
I've worked my ass off. I attribute our current success to great decisions on my part and great songs we wrote.

Neal Schon's JRNY‏ @NealSchonMusic · 2h2 hours ago
No but I'm going to ask for it back

macmcc1961‏ @macmcc1961
@NealSchonMusic Hi Neal, do you still have the Peavy double-neck you played on "Precious Time"? One of my favorite songs. Thanks!

Neal Schon's JRNY‏ @NealSchonMusic

Jonathan apparently is telling people that we are not getting along because of creative differences. Not so. We haven't been creative.

Neal Schon's JRNY‏Verified account @NealSchonMusic · 2h2 hours ago

He likes to say Eclipse was not successful because it was not JRNY friendly it's my fault. Yes I wanted 2rock but JC wrote more than I did

Neal is worse than Trump. He's like a teenage girl who can't stop showing what a twit he is. pun intended.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:02 am

According to Steve Perry, he never felt part of the band. So, I guess Journey was always Neal's band. :D

Jokes aside. I just want a new album with Steve Smith. Don't blow this chance, guys!
JourneyHard
LP

Postby perryfan61 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:19 am

Neal is not making any Journey fans happy by dragging this whole fight through social media. I for one am sick of the whole thing. It looks like he is laying the groundwork for moving on without JC. Fine by me, if he's holding the band back from making new music, but do it in private, please! But getting JC out if he doesn't want to go might be harder than he thinks.

He's making it sound like JC is preaching and talking politics during their shows, which I'm sure is not the case. We all know JC has become very religious, but I've never heard him talk about that and Journey at the same time. I'm not sure what Neal is so upset about, but he's gone WAY over the line, and anyone who dares disagree with him gets told off.

Grow up Neal, the bands real fans are laughing at you.
Last edited by perryfan61 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Memorex » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:25 am

It's probably like every other male flight in history. At the root is probably the two wives.

I don't mean that to be sexist, but both seem like they could dislike each other.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby George_g888 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:50 am

perryfan61 wrote:Neal is not making any Journey fans happy by dragging this whole fight through social media. I for one am sick of the whole thing. It looks like he is laying the groundwork for moving on without JC. Fine by me, if he's holding the band back from making new music, but do it in private, please! But getting JC out if he doesn't want to go might be harder than he thinks.

He's making it sound like JC is preaching and talking politics during their shows, which I'm sure is not the case. We all know JC has become very religious, but I've never heard him talk about that and Journey at the same time. I'm not sure what Neal is so upset about, but he's gone WAY over the line, and anyone who dares disagree with him gets told off.

Grow up Neal, the bands real fans are laughing at you.

Well said. Agree completely
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby George_g888 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:57 am

According to Neal, Ross has been “no help.” This is the intriguing to me. Has Ross been no help because he simply doesn’t want to get involved with any of this and not get fired? Or has he been no help because he has been defending Jonathan to Neal? It’s hard to tell , NS never followed up on that comment.
George_g888
Ol' 78

PreviousNext

Return to Journey