Journey on PBS

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Journey on PBS

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:05 am

Check your local listings. Next Saturday, the Journey Escape 1981 Concert is being shown on PBS. It might be shown at a different time and different day in your area. If you don't already own it, check it out.

Maybe this can bring a little peace to the band. Perry, Cain, Schon, Valory, and Smith rocking it out. They played eight songs off the Escape album.

I wish they would play eight songs off Eclipse.
JourneyHard
LP

Re: Journey on PBS

Postby JourneyHard » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:21 pm

I watched Journey on PBS tonight and they cut out Where Were You and Mother, Father; so, they could blab about people donating money to the station. I think they also cut out Steve Smith's drum solo, Jon's piano solo and Neal's solo.

I think the set list rocked. Maybe Journey needs to play these songs from now on.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:33 am

I am glad that Journey is on PBS. Education, people and more exposure to the greatness of CLASSIC Journey, Steve Perry era.
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby JourneyHard » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:21 am

Guy on local PBS mentioned that Journey used to play soft ball games against local radio stations here in Detroit (except Steve Perry never showed up for these, but that is not the point.) If Journey filmed everything, I bet they filmed these games, too. It would be a hoot to watch Cain chasing down fly balls or whatever happened.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby JourneyHard » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:22 am

If you notice for the Escape Tour, all the members of Journey are wearing Nike shoes. I bet they got paid more from Nike than they made from all their albums and all their touring. But the Nike Deal came after they got a number one album.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby tater1977 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:58 am

JourneyHard wrote:Guy on local PBS mentioned that Journey used to play soft ball games against local radio stations here in Detroit (except Steve Perry never showed up for these, but that is not the point.) If Journey filmed everything, I bet they filmed these games, too. It would be a hoot to watch Cain chasing down fly balls or whatever happened.

Was going to load a photo of Journey at a ballgame in Detroit with Perry there, in I believe 1981 or 1982.
If you see the DJ, you will know where it was played.

Can't load the photo, all I get is -

'Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached'.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby MysteryMountain » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:21 am

There is footage, I believe on the Frontiers thing, of them playing softball. Don't remember who is shown, or what not, but I know there was a film crew & it wound up on something. I think it was the Frontiers doc.
MysteryMountain
Ol' 78

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:53 am

The softball game footage was on the 1980 Blue Jean Network special. Perry is off to the side on a mic (broadcasting or being interviewed, maybe?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLUmvmlrlQQ
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby brywool » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:56 am

saw it and recorded it off of Showtime. Have the video on BETA in a closet somewhere...
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby tater1977 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:37 am

Here's the link to the photo I was trying to load.

https://twitter.com/calvertwcsx/with_replies

Ken Calvert? @calvertwcsx · 2 May 2015

Well, this hour @wcsx we continue our Top 10 Countdown. Where were you in 1980?
Me, I was playing softball w/Journey.

- scroll down and go back to 2 May 2015 -
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby MysteryMountain » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:46 am

Art Vandelay wrote:The softball game footage was on the 1980 Blue Jean Network special. Perry is off to the side on a mic (broadcasting or being interviewed, maybe?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLUmvmlrlQQ

Ahh, yes, there you go. Thank you sir.
MysteryMountain
Ol' 78

Postby JourneyHard » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:32 am

When was this Blue Jean Special recorded? Despite Walks Like A Lady, this must have been before Departure. Otherwise, Any Way You Want It would have been featured.

What was the song they were singing before the concert with Gregg on keys and everybody else just singing? Put that on the new Journey album!

You heard in this special that critics thought Journey's music was wimpy. Now, you know why Neal wants to rock, and probably why Departure rocked harder than the previous two albums with Perry. Well, Where Were You, Line of Fire and Any Way You Want It rocked. And why ESCAPE and FRONTIERS had hard rocking songs, too. The critics are full of crap! Journey rocks!
JourneyHard
LP

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:30 am

JourneyHard wrote:When was this Blue Jean Special recorded? Despite Walks Like A Lady, this must have been before Departure. Otherwise, Any Way You Want It would have been featured.

What was the song they were singing before the concert with Gregg on keys and everybody else just singing? Put that on the new Journey album!

You heard in this special that critics thought Journey's music was wimpy. Now, you know why Neal wants to rock, and probably why Departure rocked harder than the previous two albums with Perry. Well, Where Were You, Line of Fire and Any Way You Want It rocked. And why ESCAPE and FRONTIERS had hard rocking songs, too. The critics are full of crap! Journey rocks!

It was definitely recorded during the Departure tour. Neal was still sporting his Fu Manchu mustache before Departure, but he's clean shaven here.

Yeah, I don't know what that song is that they are singing together, but I'd love to have a recording of it!
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:13 pm

On YouTube, I watched Journey in the PBS Back Stage Special from 1978. They played some Infinity songs and then had Blues superstars on stage with them for a blues jam! Then they played some Fusion Rock early day stuff with Perry adding his own vocals to the songs. Here is another option for future Journey concerts!
JourneyHard
LP

Return to Journey