Steve Perry and Diamond Dave

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Steve Perry and Diamond Dave

Postby ebake02 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:05 am

This is an interesting little story if it's true: :lol: :lol:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/david-le ... alen-book/

Roth, for example, was allegedly captured in “several hours” of X-rated footage while fooling around with groupies, sparked a food fight that left Journey singer Steve Perry crying and covered in guacamole and at one point needed to be buckled into a straitjacket so he’d “settle down.”
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Re: Steve Perry and Diamond Dave

Postby tater1977 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:43 am

LoL don't know if it's true or not, but they need to publish the excerpt from the book of the
whole story, re/ the guacamole incident.
It's not that long, if you want to read it I could post it.
I've read most of the book, but have not yet read about the 'straight-jacket' .
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Marabelle » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:24 pm

Well it would have caused a lot of fluttering hearts to see the man wrapped up and immobile!
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:05 pm

ebake02 wrote:This is an interesting little story if it's true: :lol: :lol:

Roth, for example, was allegedly captured in “several hours” of X-rated footage while fooling around with groupies, sparked a food fight that left Journey singer Steve Perry crying and covered in guacamole and at one point needed to be buckled into a straitjacket so he’d “settle down.”

UCR made it sound like they had to put SP in the straighjacket... when in fact it was David Lee Roth.

'Again, to me, this did not seem an unreasonable response. I’d have reacted the same way. I tried to imagine if word of this incident got out: the lead singer of one of the biggest bands in the world, confined to a straitjacket by his own security team less than one week into a new tour. This was one story that would test the old axiom that any publicity is good publicity. I figured that as angry as David was at that moment, he’d be even angrier the next day. I envisioned the entire tour blowing up and Van Halen fracturing almost overnight.'

“David, tell me what happened,” I said. His eyes widened as he leaned forward. His lips trembled. I thought he might start crying, but instead he merely unleashed a torrent of anger. “Those motherfuckers!” he said. “They put me in a fucking straitjacket. Like I’m crazy or something.” He paused. “I should have killed them. I should have killed every one of them. I could have, you know. They deserved it!”

Monk, Noel. Runnin' with the Devil: A Backstage Pass to the Wild Times, Loud Rock, and the Down and Dirty Truth Behind the Making of Van Halen (Kindle Locations 3009-3010). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:13 pm

ebake02 wrote:This is an interesting little story if it's true: :lol: :lol:

Excerpt from Running with the devil , ref/ the guacamole bowl hitting SP .

The whole band was there, along with some of the guys from Journey and other various hangers-on. Ordinarily, the place would have been rockin’. This time, in stark contrast, it felt almost funereal. I thought briefly about backing out of the room and claiming plausible deniability, before I finally asked, “What’s going on, guys?” I was met with complete silence, and my heart sank. I looked around the room. My gaze came to rest on a large and well-lit full-length mirror, the type artists would normally use to check themselves out before going onstage. For some reason, there was a broad green streak running diagonally down the length of it, as if someone had splashed paint on it.

In the middle of this swath was a large, man-shaped gap—as if someone had been standing in front of said mirror when the shit went down. I moved in to get a better look. Around me, no one said a word. I reached out to touch the evidence, and on closer examination, the “paint” revealed its true nature: it was guacamole, thick and viscous and already starting to turn brown. Oh, shit. I turned to face the band. David and Edward were slumped in their chairs, trying not to make eye contact with me. I didn’t blame them.

“All right, boys,” I said, mustering up all of my courage, and preparing for the very
real possibility of our being kicked off the tour. “Out with it. What the hell happened?” If that makes me sound like a parent dealing with children, well, that’s pretty much the way I felt.

After a few moments of tense silence, Edward spoke up. “David started it,” he said, pointing an accusatory finger. “He threw a bowl of peanuts at me.” There was a pause, and I noticed David trying to stifle a laugh. Are you fucking kidding me? I thought. “Fuck you, Dave,” Edward said and looked back at me. “See, I had to retaliate. He deserved it.” This was excellent logic—for a six-year-old. (And, I suppose, for a rock star.)

“What did you do, Edward?” I asked. By now they were all laughing. The tension began to clear from the room—no doubt being absorbed straight into my shoulders and chest instead. “I threw a bowl of guacamole at David’s head,” Edward explained, shrugging and smiling that goofy grin of his. “But I hit Steve instead.” Oh, boy. “Steve? As in . . . Steve Perry?” I braced myself for an answer I knew I wouldn’t like, and Edward nodded sheepishly. Someone giggled. Well, I thought, that’s the end of that. We’ve had a good run. Time to pull the soil over the freshly dug graves that Edward Fucking Van Halen had dug for us and call it a night. “Shit,” I said, rubbing at my mustache and trying not to lose my cool.

Something funny happens to you in the middle of a disaster—sometimes you’re able to hold it together just long enough to try to fix the shit show. “Where is he?” I asked. David nodded toward the bathroom. “In there, I think.” The next thing I knew, I had gone against every single instinct I had and walked into the bathroom, where I found Steve standing in front of the sink.

From the top of his luxurious mane of silky black hair to the middle of his shimmering new sateen Journey jacket, he was completely covered in guacamole. “Hey, Steve.” I tried to keep my tone gentle, and the sheer terror out of my voice. “You okay?” Steve slowly turned around so that I could get a full frontal view of the onslaught. “I was going to wear this onstage tonight,” he told me, tapping the chest of his jacket, his lower lip quivering. “Look at it now—it’s fucking ruined.” Words failed him, and for a moment I thought he was about to erupt—to start screaming, to demand that we pay for damages and leave the tour immediately, have our heads mounted on spikes and set outside the front doors of our next gig, but instead he simply began crying, a soft, sad little whimper, and I felt bad for him.

Here he was, an emerging rock star fronting a ridiculously popular tour, and he had been reduced to tears by a pack of incorrigible, food-fighting kids. I can only imagine that Steve must have felt like he was back in middle school, crammed into a cafeteria with a bunch of heartless, mean children. If it had been me, I would have thrown that bowl of guacamole right back at Edward. Or punched him in the face. Maybe both. Alas, for better or for worse, not everyone is built this way. Steve had a titanic voice, but it came from a small and gentle man. He was an artist, not a fighter or a guacamole thrower.

“It’s okay, Steve,” I said. I won’t lie, I was a little relieved—but I did my best to conceal that fact. “We’ll get you cleaned up, and we’ll find another jacket.” “There’s not enough time.” “Sure there is.” I offered him a smile and armed myself with paper towels. For the next half hour, I stood in that bathroom and helped wipe guacamole from Steve Perry’s hair, face, and clothes, all the while talking to him, trying to cheer him up—and keep our asses from getting canned. Eventually, through much hard work and determination, we reached a point of respectability, if not outright cleanliness. He still smelled faintly of avocado and onion, sure, but you had to be awfully close to notice.

It certainly could’ve been worse. “How do I look?” he asked. “You look great, Steve. Go get ’em.” As we walked out of the bathroom, Edward was the first to speak. “You okay, Steve?” He sounded apologetic. Steve, ever the trouper, nodded at him. “I’m fine. Don’t sweat it.” They didn’t. No sooner had Steve exited the dressing room than the party resumed, albeit with a noticeable absence of guacamole. I breathed a sigh of relief. Later that night, I was approached by Journey’s capable but understandably exasperated road manager, Pat “Bubba” Morrow.

Bubba was in the unfortunate position of having to act as an intermediary between the bands; as tour manager of the headliner, he also took most of the heat when our boys acted out, which they did quite frequently. “Noel, this can’t continue,” he said. “Your guys have got to start behaving better or we’re going to ask you to leave the tour.”

Monk, Noel. Runnin' with the Devil: A Backstage Pass to the Wild Times, Loud Rock, and the Down and Dirty Truth Behind the Making of Van Halen (Kindle Location 3010). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:17 am

Wow. This response I would have never expected from Steve. I guess looks are very deceiving. Very insightful view into his true nature. I assume that this must have been when VH just came out and Journey was starting to take off, around 78 (Steve joined in Oct. 77). Worlds apart from his later (show?) strength on Frontiers tour when he lowered the F-bomb and boom on the undisclosed fan that dared to throw that bottle at Neal. So...ever the trooper, eh? I doubt Herbie past vitrol-filled interviews EVERY DAY. More and more evidence from 3rd parties of a kind and tender heart and spirit, that even after all the years of struggle and relentless ambition couldn't quell his true spirit. I doubt that same incident would be repeated on a Frontiers, ROR, and all later years. Steve is a completely different man now. But, wow. He responded not in kind, which would have displayed a weak mind and character (as evidenced by VH members), he responded with considerable self-control, which takes great strength of character.

UNFORTUNATELY, it also shows that since there some of the guys from Journey (uncertain if band members or road crew), they wouldn't support him, while he would do it for them in a heartbeat.

Steve continues to impress...titanic voice and titanic spirit.
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby Marabelle » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:43 am

Agreed sometimes I think he tries to temper that fire because maybe it could be mighty, I always say come from behind the curtain. A life worth living is embracing everything and letting it shine just with some consideration of the heat.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:45 am

I tell you...this incident rings true on so many levels. While Steve is no "shrinking violet"...this might be a moment where he was trying to "fit in" and was caught in the process. Noel's tenderness, care and concern was so clear and evident, without any pretense. And his care and concern translated to whomever was there was they made sure to clean up every residue of that terrible event. Also...think back to the We Are The World...how Steve went out of his way to compliment Cyndi and those harmonizing with her and tried to be humble and stay focused as he was helping others. He was part of the group...not the individual and understood the great goal and need. Perhaps...just perhaps that may have been why he was asked to donate another song...or perhaps that was his idea. Also...remember what Lionel Richie said what Steve said the next day. Lionel said that Steve called him and he sounded upset. Lionel asked him what was wrong. He said that Steve said he just had to call someone and tell them. He wanted to talk. He ordered room service and his breakfast came on a silver platter. Steve lifted the top off and set it aside and as he looked at it, started to cry. His real spirit. You see...as some fans may know or may not know...Steve struggled, like Neal, REAL hard. He worked 2, 3 jobs while in college and suffered hunger many times and was on government assistance. That's a terrible pain. I can just imagine that it came back to him and the song they sung wasn't just a song...but a life he lived. This moment described above made me so very quiet and I was moved...almost to tears...and I don't cry easy. I don't like to show my emotions like that...even in private. So this moment took time for me to digest...and once I got over myself...I believed this from Van Halen's former manager and accepted it.
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby Archetype » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:02 am

I saw a video years back in which a member of the crowd threw a bottle at Neal on stage. Steve Perry lost his shit about it. You can tell that there's little bit of a temper in there. Not that it's an entirely bad thing.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:42 am

Archetype wrote:I saw a video years back in which a member of the crowd threw a bottle at Neal on stage. Steve Perry lost his shit about it. You can tell that there's little bit of a temper in there. Not that it's an entirely bad thing.

Here's the video you are referring to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s61JnXGswRI

Yep, no shrinking violet, but still a kind, and gentle soul. A true artist, not a fighter, but an ambitious person who is loyal to his friends.
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby perryfan61 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:38 am

As was mentioned, SP was quite new to the band, probably still nervous and trying hard to fit in and " belong" among those "rock stars", even though not feeling he deserved it yet. Instead of reacting in anger, he chose to be alone.....something I can relate to.

It shows his dedication to his craft that he managed to put the fans first, and continue on with the show. He learned to toughen up, of course, but he still remains a gentle man, easily hurt, especially when his talent is criticised. Can't say I blame him for that.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:17 pm

Why Japanese concert goers remained in their seats... :?:

'Every city, it seemed, brought a new and memorable experience. In Tokyo, for example, we were struck by the way the fans remained seated throughout the show. Apparently, some years earlier, there had been an unfortunate incident during a concert—a barrier falling and kids rushing the stage—that had resulted in serious injury to several concertgoers. As a result, an ordinance had been put in place dictating that fans remain seated throughout subsequent shows. I’m not sure how long this lasted, but it was definitely in effect when Van Halen played in 1979. It was an amazing sight—the band playing its guts out and fans screaming uncontrollably, while mostly remaining tethered to their seats. And it wasn’t like a throng of baton-wielding security officers was required to maintain this environment. The kids knew what was expected and adhered to the policy without the need for strong-arm tactics.'

Monk, Noel. Runnin' with the Devil: A Backstage Pass to the Wild Times, Loud Rock, and the Down and Dirty Truth Behind the Making of Van Halen (Kindle Locations 2370-2374). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Pacfanweb » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:37 pm

And even after that, when asked a few years back "Sammy Hagar or David Lee Roth?", Perry responded with "David Lee Roth".
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Return to Journey