Page 1 of 1

RR HOF without TBF or past 20 years of touring

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:12 am
by tj
Wondering whether Journey would have been inducted in the Rock and Roll HOF this year if they had not made TBF or been touring the past 20 years. Would they have fallen into the list of great bands who were great in their era, but never really considered great outside of their era?

Re: RR HOF without TBF or past 20 years of touring

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:17 am
by JourneyHard
Hmmmm. It makes me wonder. What if they had waited five to ten years for Perry to ready to tour or make another album. And then that's 2008 and Perry is still in the band, but they aren't really touring that much or at all, and then they never had any reason to find Arnel. Then everything from Arrival on never existed.

So that is the question: Which would you rather have?

A) Perry always in the band, but no albums from Arrival through Eclipse. BUT Perry performs with them at Hall of Fame.

OR

B) What actually happened. Arrival through Eclipse and Arnel performed at Hall of Fame.

Re: RR HOF without TBF or past 20 years of touring

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:34 pm
by Journey/Survivor
JourneyHard wrote:Hmmmm. It makes me wonder. What if they had waited five to ten years for Perry to ready to tour or make another album. And then that's 2008 and Perry is still in the band, but they aren't really touring that much or at all, and then they never had any reason to find Arnel. Then everything from Arrival on never existed.

So that is the question: Which would you rather have?

A) Perry always in the band, but no albums from Arrival through Eclipse. BUT Perry performs with them at Hall of Fame.

OR

B) What actually happened. Arrival through Eclipse and Arnel performed at Hall of Fame.


Out of only those 2 options, definitely B, with ease!

Re: RR HOF without TBF or past 20 years of touring

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:38 pm
by Eric
I don't think they get in had they just gone away permanently in '96. Sure, the majority of the music they play each night is from 77-83, but they have kept the music alive and the name in the spotlight and the fans engaged. The fans wouldn't have been as engaged had they just gone away..,. and the fans were a big part of them getting inducted.

As far as "waiting for Perry". Hasn't it been thoroughly proven by now that they made the right decision to move on? They'd still be waiting.

Re: RR HOF without TBF or past 20 years of touring

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:40 pm
by The_Noble_Cause
Eric wrote:As far as "waiting for Perry". Hasn't it been thoroughly proven by now that they made the right decision to move on? They'd still be waiting.


No brainer.

Re: RR HOF without TBF or past 20 years of touring

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:35 am
by tj
Eric wrote:I don't think they get in had they just gone away permanently in '96. Sure, the majority of the music they play each night is from 77-83, but they have kept the music alive and the name in the spotlight and the fans engaged. The fans wouldn't have been as engaged had they just gone away..,. and the fans were a big part of them getting inducted.

As far as "waiting for Perry". Hasn't it been thoroughly proven by now that they made the right decision to move on? They'd still be waiting.


I don't doubt that they would still be waiting for Perry. I also think that if they had, they would still be waiting for an HOF induction - perhaps forever.

Re: RR HOF without TBF or past 20 years of touring

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:09 pm
by JourneyHard
tj wrote:I don't doubt that they would still be waiting for Perry. I also think that if they had, they would still be waiting for an HOF induction - perhaps forever.


This is probably true, but I would like to think if they didn't get Augeri that Perry would have came back for one tour when they were really riding the tide of popularity in 2008. Maybe Perry wouldn't have come back. I guess we will have a clue if Perry's new album comes out in October and if he does any kind of tour.

Re: RR HOF without TBF or past 20 years of touring

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:47 am
by livin2do
TBF gave them nothing to add to their legacy. One song that barely ever gets heard. It was getting back out on the road that made people realize what had been missing - the band is best live, and their setlist is an assault of nostalgia that pleases crowds like no other band. Period. It was the resurgence of Don't Stop Believin' that put the band in the hall. There was a whole new generation that didn't care what critics in the '70's and '80's thought. The songs sound as good today as when they were first released, and timelessness, more than anything, is what gets enshrined in the hall of fame.

Re: RR HOF without TBF or past 20 years of touring

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:50 pm
by Pacfanweb
Eric wrote:I don't think they get in had they just gone away permanently in '96. Sure, the majority of the music they play each night is from 77-83, but they have kept the music alive and the name in the spotlight and the fans engaged. The fans wouldn't have been as engaged had they just gone away..,. and the fans were a big part of them getting inducted.

As far as "waiting for Perry". Hasn't it been thoroughly proven by now that they made the right decision to move on? They'd still be waiting.

Can't be proven.

No way to know if Perry would have reconvened with Journey after his surgery. He's said he would have. The whole "divorce" soured him and he then had no motivation to do anything. That might not have been the case had they waited...or just gone out as "The J Boys" with another singer.

I totally understand where he was coming from about not wanting to rush the hip replacement. Dude was only like 47. That's awfully young to be getting a replacement. It's not something you rush. The band was wanting him to just go ahead and do it so he could get better and they could tour. There wasn't an internet as we know it now in 1996 to help you research such a thing. It takes awhile, and you need to be certain with such an operation. Totally get his hesitation. Not like he was dragging his feet on getting a new crown on a molar because he had a fear of the dentist.