Def Leppard Journey 2018 tour?

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Def Leppard Journey 2018 tour?

Postby George_g888 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:24 am

I guess the question is which version of Journey will show up.....

DEF LEPPARD is in talks to play some U.S. shows with JOURNEY in 2018.

The news was confirmed by DEF LEPPARD guitarist Vivian Campbell in an interview with the "Do You Know Jack?" radio show.

Asked if there is any truth to rumors that DEF LEPPARD and JOURNEY are considering hitting the road together again next year, Campbell said (hear audio below): "I know that nothing is set in stone, but negotiations are going on, and one of the acts we're talking about touring with next year could possibly be JOURNEY. But it's not the only thing that's in the works. But I know we are trying to put together a big tour for next year, yeah."

JOURNEY bassist Ross Valory recently hinted to The Advocate newspaper that the band's package trek with DEF LEPPARD would launch in either May or June of 2018.

DEF LEPPARD and JOURNEY previously toured together in 2006. The trek was reportedly one of LEPPARD's most successful U.S. runs since the 1992-1993 "Adrenalize" tour.

At the time, DEF LEPPARD was supporting its covers album called "Yeah!"

DEF LEPPARD and JOURNEY's last tour launched in June 2006 and consisted of three legs, taking the two bands up to November of that year.

DEF LEPPARD guitarist Phil Collen has said in past interviews that he would love to tour with JOURNEY again.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/def-le ... b7Z0i7Q.99
George_g888
Ol' 78

Re: Def Leppard Journey 2018 tour?

Postby bellairepark73 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:16 am

With their (JRNY) current problems, I so seriously doubt it.
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby scarab » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:31 am

Sounds like another GH concert if this is true.
Been there done that. Journey is becoming like Styx, always touring with REO
Also I find it odd that Jon is contractually obligated to tour through next year.
Wonder why they do this? Do they get up front money?
And how did Perry get around this?
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:34 am

It was disgraceful that Journey were not the headliner at every show on that last tour with Def Leppard.

The year before that tour, Def Leppard were playing a 1,000 seat park venue in Cleveland, while Journey pretty much sold out a 20,000 seat concert venue in Cleveland.

Journey need to be the clear headliners with Def Leppard next year!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby George_g888 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:31 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:It was disgraceful that Journey were not the headliner at every show on that last tour with Def Leppard.

The year before that tour, Def Leppard were playing a 1,000 seat park venue in Cleveland, while Journey pretty much sold out a 20,000 seat concert venue in Cleveland.

I agree. Will be interesting to see what happens, for sure.
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby ScarabFan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:52 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:It was disgraceful that Journey were not the headliner at every show on that last tour with Def Leppard.

*Technically* they were co-headliners, playing the same amount of time each night, but Leppard always went last since they had the more elaborate stage setup.
ScarabFan
Radio Waves

Postby JourneyHard » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:24 pm

scarab wrote:Sounds like another GH concert if this is true.
Also I find it odd that Jon is contractually obligated to tour through next year.

Are you suggesting Perry never hurt his hip, and used this as an excuse to get out of his commitment to tour?
JourneyHard
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:55 am

During the height of Tapegate hysteria, Neal Schon called Deano and left him a voicemail justifying their use of tapes saying that Def uses tapes on high notes. I heard the voicemail myself. Since that time, Joe Elliott has had many ups and downs. Just google it. I'm not sure if Journey should tour with a lipper.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby marco17 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:18 am

John and Neal are going to have to do a lot of kissing and making up... assuming all the current stuff isn't just fabricated for PR purposes... before I can envision another long, summer tour. Granted, since it's what fills their bank accounts for the year, staying on different sides of the stage with minimal interaction....it might work out just fine.
marco17
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:11 am

marco17 wrote:John and Neal are going to have to do a lot of kissing and making up... assuming all the current stuff isn't just fabricated for PR purposes... before I can envision another long, summer tour. Granted, since it's what fills their bank accounts for the year, staying on different sides of the stage with minimal interaction....it might work out just fine.

Jon isn't taking the bait - at least not online. He may not really care. He's prolly unphased by Neal's tantrums.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby marco17 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:19 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
marco17 wrote:John and Neal are going to have to do a lot of kissing and making up... assuming all the current stuff isn't just fabricated for PR purposes... before I can envision another long, summer tour. Granted, since it's what fills their bank accounts for the year, staying on different sides of the stage with minimal interaction....it might work out just fine.

Jon isn't taking the bait - at least not online. He may not really care. He's prolly unphased by Neal's tantrums.

That's true... Jon hasn't said a word.
marco17
8 Track

Postby ScarabGator » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:35 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:During the height of Tapegate hysteria, Neal Schon called Deano and left him a voicemail justifying their use of tapes saying that Def uses tapes on high notes. I heard the voicemail myself. Since that time, Joe Elliott has had many ups and downs. Just google it. I'm not sure if Journey should tour with a lipper.

I love remembering Deano's comments...everytime I had a private message from him on here I always thought "oh shit...here we go again..."
ScarabGator
Stereo LP

Postby ScarabGator » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:38 am

By the way TNC, you are keeping this board more alive and avtive than its been since Deano's passing. Andrew should give you free tickets to something!!!!
ScarabGator
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:54 am

ScarabGator wrote:By the way TNC, you are keeping this board more alive and avtive than its been since Deano's passing. Andrew should give you free tickets to something!!!!

Thanks Scarab. I remember being here in 2002. Was just me and a bunch of staunchly anti-Augeri pro-Perry fans. Then Deano showed up. We battled them all. Red 13 and NealIsGod too. Good times.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby ScarabGator » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:59 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
ScarabGator wrote:By the way TNC, you are keeping this board more alive and avtive than its been since Deano's passing. Andrew should give you free tickets to something!!!!

Thanks Scarab. I remember being here in 2002. Was just me and a bunch of staunchly anti-Augeri pro-Perry fans. Then Deano showed up. We battled them all. Red 13 and NealIsGod too. Good times.

I was accused of hitting on all the ladies on here during that time.... :D or during my time..Andrew used to get so pissed at me!!!
ScarabGator
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:06 am

Journey should really tour alone. They have more than enough material to do it. I know Arnel cannot do a three-hour show by himself. So, give him some help, and let's have some fun. Journey could do their dirty dozen that everybody wants to hear, but they will also have plenty of time to do their fusion rock roots, and deep cuts, and new material from after Perry, and so on.

We don't need to see two acts half-ass it out there. We need to see Journey going strong alone. :D
JourneyHard
LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:30 am

JourneyHard wrote:
scarab wrote:Sounds like another GH concert if this is true.

Are you suggesting Perry never hurt his hip, and used this as an excuse to get out of his commitment to tour?

I myself have suggested that that may have been the case?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:37 am

never thought Perry used fake injury to bail.
but I still dont get it, whats with contracts to tour?
Why is Jon obligated to tour through next year?
Why was Smith given a two year tour obligation?

Maybe Perry was smart enough to not sign anything and if he did, had the proof to not to tour.

Really it is sad all around, maybe its been this way for a long time. If you wanna write music and tour behind it why must lawyers hold you to it?
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby jrnyman28 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:15 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Ahem!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby bellairepark73 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:06 am

bellairepark73 wrote:With their (JRNY) current problems, I so seriously doubt it.

As per Neal's Twiutter, JRNY is already signed on for next year.

On a side note, I tell ya this is becoming really personal for Neal. Blocking random people from his Twitter account. Man.
Last edited by bellairepark73 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby epresley » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:34 am

ScarabGator wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

I was accused of hitting on all the ladies on here during that time.... :D or during my time..Andrew used to get so pissed at me!!!

Good to see you Gator! Your posts used to crack me up!!
It's not a lie, if you believe it..........
epresley
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:24 am

scarab wrote:never thought Perry used fake injury to bail.
but I still dont get it, whats with contracts to tour?
Why is Jon obligated to tour through next year?
Why was Smith given a two year tour obligation?

Maybe Perry was smart enough to not sign anything and if he did, had the proof to not to tour.

Really it is sad all around, maybe its been this way for a long time. If you wanna write music and tour behind it why must lawyers hold you to it?

Contracts hold the date to ensure that Journey has a place/date to play. Venues are constantly recruiting acts to play, so holding the date for Journey ensures both sides that no one else will get it. One off events are not as big a deal, but with a tour, a band typically wants to work around certain days (x days on, x days off), regional areas, etc. Booking months or years in advance ensures that they are able to do it.

I doubt that Perry would have gone into anything without a contract. In most cases, penalties apply on one side or the other for canceling a date unless "act of God", physically unable to perform, etc. type of situation comes up. Even then, insurance would most likely cover a small portion of the lost revenue. The higher the incidence and/or probability of cancelation, the higher the penalty and insurance premium.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby ScarabGator » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:55 pm

Good to see you Gator! Your posts used to crack me up!![/quote]

Thank you my friend!!!! Those old glory days.... :lol:
ScarabGator
Stereo LP

Postby AR » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:49 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

I still see "NealisGod" at times. Lives only a few miles from me.
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:39 am

jrnyman28 wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Ahem!

Yes, you too jrnyman28!
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:40 am

AR wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

I still see "NealisGod" at times. Lives only a few miles from me.

Tell him to log back on.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby RumTumJM » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:55 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:During the height of Tapegate hysteria, Neal Schon called Deano and left him a voicemail justifying their use of tapes saying that Def uses tapes on high notes. I heard the voicemail myself. Since that time, Joe Elliott has had many ups and downs. Just google it. I'm not sure if Journey should tour with a lipper.

Perhaps he was just having vocal issues at the time? I know he was doing it, heavily, in 2016. (While upsetting, it makes sense. His vocal problems were greatly reported.) However, it seems like he stopped doing it this year. As someone who has seen them so many times in the past decade, I could tell the taped vocals from the live ones. The taped ones seems too clean, youthful and somewhat flat. Also, his on stage demeanor was different in 2016 than past years/2017.
RumTumJM
45 RPM

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:14 pm

So...

An 80 minute Journey set of GH for a $150 mediocre seat.

PASS.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:50 am

Instead of touring with Def Leppard, Journey should tour with JRNY. :D
JourneyHard
LP

Postby jrny84 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:15 am

Not really interested. Have heard Joe Elliot live and he doesn't sound very good. Not much of a fan of them either.
jrny84
8 Track

Next

Return to Journey