Eric Martin, Miles Schon, Herbie Herbert, Roger Silver & fri

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Eric Martin, Miles Schon, Herbie Herbert, Roger Silver & fri

Postby tater1977 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:05 pm

Eric Martin, Miles Schon, Herbie Herbert, Roger Silver & friends

https://www.facebook.com/142Throck/

Singer/musician Eric Martin and guitar virtuoso Miles Schon perform songs from Roger Silver's book/screenplay/musical 'Going Sane in San Francisco.' The musical evening will be hosted by Herbie Herbert and will also feature musicians Jon Close, Denise Martin, Mark Chole, and Tom Fitzgerald.

142 Throckmorton Theatre
142 Throckmorton Ave, Mill Valley, California 94941
Friday, July 14 at 8 PM - 10 PM PDT

Eric Martin is an American rock singer-songwriter and musician. Martin started his career singing for San Francisco band 415 and opening for established acts like Bill Squire, Hall & Oats, Journey, ZZ Top and Foreigner to name a few. Martin earned his most prominent success as the frontman for the hard rock band Mr. Big, a supergroup featuring Billy Sheehan, Pat Torpey, and Paul Gilbert. Mr. Big scored a big hit in the early 1990s with “To Be with You,” a song that Martin wrote during his teen years. Martin also performed as a solo artist and his first album with Sony Japan, Mr. Vocalist #1 debuted in the top of the charts and reached platinum status. Martin’s signature soulful voice and candid lyrics can still be heard regularly on tour in Europe, North and South America, Australia, India and Japan.

Miles Schon is an extraordinary songwriter and guitar virtuoso who comes from a family of talented jazz and rock musicians. Miles’ playing instantly captivates audiences; he plays with incredible feeling and soul. His own band, The Miles Schon Band performs rock and soul originals and covers around the San Francisco Bay Area.

Herbie Herbert is a legendary music-industry player turned music player. Herbert was one of rock and roll’s premier managers and entrepreneurs. He was the manager of rock band Journey, The Storm, and a vocalist for the Sy Klopps Blues Band. Before nursing Journey to monster stardom in the 1980s, Herbert was manager for the multi-platinum-selling band Santana. His production company, Nocturne, pioneered the use of huge TV screens at arena-sized concerts and stages. This included some of the world’s biggest rock extravaganzas such as Michael Jackson, Elton John, The Eagles, the Grateful Dead, Guns N’ Roses and Billy Joel.

Roger Silver writes passionate prose, poetry and lyrics, and has written songs recorded by Journey, Carlos Santana, Eric Martin (Mr. Big), Neal Schon, Gregg Rolie, and three-time Emmy Award winner Jon Close. In addition, he has written the screenplay to accompany Going Sane in San Francisco and today spends most of his time writing and learning the art of encaustic painting.

-------
Read this book last year. Starts out slow, when he's talking about his family, but picks up
when he starts writing about his close friendships with Rollie and Schon and some adventures
they had in the RnR lifestyle back in the day. He writes about his disdain for Perry and
his girlfriend, Sherrie at the time. He's included some lyrics to songs that were recorded.
What will be interesting to see is how this goes from book to screen...
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: Eric Martin, Miles Schon, Herbie Herbert, Roger Silver &

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:01 pm

tater1977 wrote:Eric Martin, Miles Schon, Herbie Herbert, Roger Silver & friends

https://www.facebook.com/142Throck/

Singer/musician Eric Martin and guitar virtuoso Miles Schon perform songs from Roger Silver's book/screenplay/musical 'Going Sane in San Francisco.' The musical evening will be hosted by Herbie Herbert and will also feature musicians Jon Close, Denise Martin, Mark Chole, and Tom Fitzgerald.

142 Throckmorton Theatre
142 Throckmorton Ave, Mill Valley, California 94941
Friday, July 14 at 8 PM - 10 PM PDT

Eric Martin is an American rock singer-songwriter and musician. Martin started his career singing for San Francisco band 415 and opening for established acts like Bill Squire, Hall & Oats, Journey, ZZ Top and Foreigner to name a few. Martin earned his most prominent success as the frontman for the hard rock band Mr. Big, a supergroup featuring Billy Sheehan, Pat Torpey, and Paul Gilbert. Mr. Big scored a big hit in the early 1990s with “To Be with You,” a song that Martin wrote during his teen years. Martin also performed as a solo artist and his first album with Sony Japan, Mr. Vocalist #1 debuted in the top of the charts and reached platinum status. Martin’s signature soulful voice and candid lyrics can still be heard regularly on tour in Europe, North and South America, Australia, India and Japan.

Miles Schon is an extraordinary songwriter and guitar virtuoso who comes from a family of talented jazz and rock musicians. Miles’ playing instantly captivates audiences; he plays with incredible feeling and soul. His own band, The Miles Schon Band performs rock and soul originals and covers around the San Francisco Bay Area.

Herbie Herbert is a legendary music-industry player turned music player. Herbert was one of rock and roll’s premier managers and entrepreneurs. He was the manager of rock band Journey, The Storm, and a vocalist for the Sy Klopps Blues Band. Before nursing Journey to monster stardom in the 1980s, Herbert was manager for the multi-platinum-selling band Santana. His production company, Nocturne, pioneered the use of huge TV screens at arena-sized concerts and stages. This included some of the world’s biggest rock extravaganzas such as Michael Jackson, Elton John, The Eagles, the Grateful Dead, Guns N’ Roses and Billy Joel.

Roger Silver writes passionate prose, poetry and lyrics, and has written songs recorded by Journey, Carlos Santana, Eric Martin (Mr. Big), Neal Schon, Gregg Rolie, and three-time Emmy Award winner Jon Close. In addition, he has written the screenplay to accompany Going Sane in San Francisco and today spends most of his time writing and learning the art of encaustic painting.

-------
Read this book last year. Starts out slow, when he's talking about his family, but picks up
when he starts writing about his close friendships with Rollie and Schon and some adventures
they had in the RnR lifestyle back in the day. He writes about his disdain for Perry and
his girlfriend, Sherrie at the time. He's included some lyrics to songs that were recorded.
What will be interesting to see is how this goes from book to screen...

Oh. That's interesting. As far as writing credits for Journey, I only saw 1 credit, when I went to look at albums. Must be post-SP? It's going from book to screen?!? Whoa...is Lee Phillips ready for this? :!:
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby annpea » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:08 pm

It appears that SP was surrounded by nothing but ungrateful people. He brought in mega money for Journey, but he was met with disdain from some players on the inside, and from this sideline player, will anyone in Journey and those connected to Journey, in some way, that refused the money earned for them, by this horrible, but talented man, please raise your hand. I would like to know how many stood their ground and said " No! I will not take that money because it was primarily brought in by a man I disdain. If he was that bad why deal with him at all? :? SMH
Dancing between the raindrops.
annpea
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:17 am

annpea wrote:It appears that SP was surrounded by nothing but ungrateful people. He brought in mega money for Journey, but he was met with disdain from some players on the inside, and from this sideline player, will anyone in Journey and those connected to Journey, in some way, that refused the money earned for them, by this horrible, but talented man, please raise your hand. I would like to know how many stood their ground and said " No! I will not take that money because it was primarily brought in by a man I disdain. If he was that bad why deal with him at all? :? SMH

The first royalty check he got from helping write 'Anytime', off the Infinity
album, he said was for $40,000.00. You know he isn't going to refuse that.
With the amount of coke, he writes that was snorted by him and others and
the amount of money he made while selling drugs, it's a wonder he can remember
anything in detail. So take it with a grain of salt, but that's just my opinion.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:13 am

annpea wrote:It appears that SP was surrounded by nothing but ungrateful people. He brought in mega money for Journey, but he was met with disdain from some players on the inside, and from this sideline player, will anyone in Journey and those connected to Journey, in some way, that refused the money earned for them, by this horrible, but talented man, please raise your hand. I would like to know how many stood their ground and said " No! I will not take that money because it was primarily brought in by a man I disdain. If he was that bad why deal with him at all? :? SMH

Is your comment in regards to Herbie Herbert?

I will say that I have to question why HH seems to resent Steve Perry so much. But then again, I wasn't there, maybe he had legitimate reasons? Maybe he didn't?

As far as the other members of the band resenting Steve Perry... Sure, the money they made after Perry joined was great. But Perry also changed the band in ways that most of the members were not happy about.

Perry, while not solely responsible for Aynsley Dunbar's firing, did seem to take the lead in that decision, despite being new to the band at the time.

Perry was taking over half of Gregg Rolie's job in the band.

Perry would later insist that both Ross Valory and Steve Smith were to be fired.

Perry changed the style of music that Journey played in a way that everyone except Jonathan Cain were not happy about.

Perry became an all out dictator around the time of Raised On Radio.

And Perry had chosen to distance himself from the rest of the band by flying or driving separately from the rest of the band.

Perry could have made a decision on how to treat his hip issue instead of just wasting valuable time sitting around doing nothing about it, like he did.

All most all of the members of Journey pre-1998 have very legitimate reasons to resent some things about Steve Perry.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:58 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:

I will say that I have to question why HH seems to resent Steve Perry so much. But then again, I wasn't there, maybe he had legitimate reasons? Maybe he didn't?

As far as the other members of the band resenting Steve Perry... Sure, the money they made after Perry joined was great. But Perry also changed the band in ways that most of the members were not happy about.

Perry, while not solely responsible for Aynsley Dunbar's firing, did seem to take the lead in that decision, despite being new to the band at the time.

Perry would later insist that both Ross Valory and Steve Smith were to be fired.

Perry changed the style of music that Journey played in a way that everyone except Jonathan Cain were not happy about.

And Perry had chosen to distance himself from the rest of the band by flying or driving separately from the rest of the band.

Perry could have made a decision on how to treat his hip issue instead of just wasting valuable time sitting around doing nothing about it, like he did.

All most all of the members of Journey pre-1998 have very legitimate reasons to resent some things about Steve Perry.

Herbie had stated that part of Aynsley's problem was the underage girls
and Aynsley has stated that the direction of the band's music was not
agreeable with him.
Ross was in/out of rehabs according to Jon and Deen.
Neal was a 'functioning alcoholic' according to him.
Only thing bad I ever heard about Smitty, was he couldn't play click trax
and that was from himself.
As Jon stated in '82 they imbibed in the RnR lifestyle.
Perry had his problems too.

But they ALL had an equal vote in band decisions .
So the blame is not on just one person.
Jon and Neal could have voted NO in getting rid of Smitty and
Ross, but they didn't. So who do you blame there ?

Gregg could have stood up and told Steve NO... I will
continue to sing lead also on a number of songs, but did he?
No, so who's to blame there?

Herbie and Perry had their problems too.
What happened to want them to get rid of Herbie
I have a few ideas but I wasn't there and only they
know. But again why didn't those who had the votes
not stand up and vote no?

Don't blame just one person, there's plenty of blame to go around.
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:55 pm

tater1977 wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:

Herbie had stated that part of Aynsley's problem was the underage girls
and Aynsley has stated that the direction of the band's music was not
agreeable with him.
Ross was in/out of rehabs according to Jon and Deen.
Neal was a 'functioning alcoholic' according to him.
Only thing bad I ever heard about Smitty, was he couldn't play click trax
and that was from himself.
As Jon stated in '82 they imbibed in the RnR lifestyle.
Perry had his problems too.

But they ALL had an equal vote in band decisions .
So the blame is not on just one person.
Jon and Neal could have voted NO in getting rid of Smitty and
Ross, but they didn't. So who do you blame there ?

Gregg could have stood up and told Steve NO... I will
continue to sing lead also on a number of songs, but did he?
No, so who's to blame there?

Herbie and Perry had their problems too.
What happened to want them to get rid of Herbie
I have a few ideas but I wasn't there and only they
know. But again why didn't those who had the votes
not stand up and vote no?

Don't blame just one person, there's plenty of blame to go around.

I agree with much of what you said.

I myself was going to point out that Journey's members could have told HH no when he insisted that Perry was going to join the band.

Schon and Cain should have refused to allow Perry to fire Valory and Smith.

It seems that practically none of the band members other than Perry had the guts at the time to stand up to anyone else in the band.

I'm not trying by any means to place all of the blame on Perry. I'm just saying that the other members certainly do have good reasons for resenting many of Perry's actions within the band.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:
I agree with much of what you said.

I myself was going to point out that Journey's members could have told HH no when he insisted that Perry was going to join the band.

Schon and Cain should have refused to allow Perry to fire Valory and Smith.

It seems that practically none of the band members other than Perry had the guts at the time to stand up to anyone else in the band.

I'm not trying by any means to place all of the blame on Perry. I'm just saying that the other members certainly do have good reasons for resenting many of Perry's actions within the band.

They were all trying to make it big and then throw in the money, fame, egos, schedules, touring and management,
to rise as quickly as they did, its no wonder they stayed together for as long as they did. Thankfully, they did
and we got a hell of a boatload of great songs.
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tj » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:12 am

The consensus has always been that Perry was the key to their success. The songs live on, but without Perry, the songs wouldn't have happened and the success would not have been at the same level. Look at the success both pre and post Perry. Nothing close to what it was with him by any measure.

Everybody in the band knew that and so, while they could have "stood up" to Perry along the way, doing so quite possibly would have caused him to leave the band. If he did, the band would be in the position they are in now, with someone who maybe sounds like Perry singing, but without all of the hits (depending on who/when they "stood up" to him and caused him to leave.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby slucero » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:25 am

Journey was formed and run as a corporation... all of the band members had an equal share and an equal say.

At the end of the day on any issue, it was how they voted that counted... not how they felt.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby tater1977 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:04 am

slucero wrote:Journey was formed and run as a corporation... all of the band members had an equal share and an equal say.

At the end of the day on any issue, it was how they voted that counted... not how they felt.

That right there, says it all.
tater1977
Stereo LP

Return to Journey