Would You have Waited or Left this Concert ?

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Would You have Waited or Left this Concert ?

Postby tater1977 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:59 am

Journey rocks Don Haskins Center despite long delay

http://www.theprospectordaily.com/2017/ ... ong-delay/

Eddie Velazquez, Entertainment Editor
July 20, 2017

While many audience members left the Don Haskins Center disappointed because a frustrating three-and-a-half hour delay due to mechanical issues with the band’s plane in Tucson, Ariz., on Wednesday night, Journey finally arrived to a warm welcome from their fans.

The show was supposed to begin at 7:30 p.m., but British supergroup Asia took stage at 8:30 p.m. with their characteristic hard rock and power ballads set.

War anthem “Wildest Dreams” from their first album “Asia” kicked things off with its ominous and spacey synthesizer and an uptempo drum fill that was nicely coordinated with a rapidly paced set of lights.

The melodic, yet heavy “Sole Survivor,” from the same album showcased the vocal talents of the band with vocalist Billy Sherwood and keyboardist Geoff Downes displaying timely coordination between lead and backing vocals. The song also included an interlude, where the spotlight was on Downes as he played the dreamy synth solo.

Halfway through the set, drummer and founding member Carl Palmer played a freakish drum solo, even hitting the two gongs usually heard in “Time Again.”

Toward the end of the set, Asia apologized on behalf of Journey and promised fans that the San Francisco band was on its way. They also dedicated the song “The Smile Has Left Your Eyes” to original lead singer John Wetton, who passed away on Jan. 31 of this year. With Wetton’s photo projected in the backdrop, the band performed the emotional ballad as a tribute.

Perhaps the biggest surprise of their set was Downes taking a crack at MTV’s lack of music in their programming and playing a metal rendition of his song “Video Killed the Radio Star.” Downes originally produced that song when he was part of the new wave duo The Buggles.

To close their setlist, Asia performed “Only Time Will Tell” and “Heat of the Moment,” putting the spotlight on the crowd and inviting them to sing along during the chorus of the encore.

Attendees had to wait until 11 p.m. for Journey to arrive, and they did so with an ominous instrumental intro. The stage was set with a purple, blue and aqua set of lights as the band was received with a standing ovation. The keyboard melody for “Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)” sent the crowd roaring for an energized performance.

During “Be Good to Yourself,” the backdrop switched to a live video feed of the performance from different angles. This song also gave the spotlight to guitarist Neal Schon, which was a recurring theme throughout the night.

Filipino-born YouTube sensation Arnel Pineda proved why he has been touring with Journey for 10 years now. He was handpicked by Schon as former vocalist Steve Perry’s successor and his vocal likeness to Perry is uncanny. “Ask the Lonely” is one of the most demanding songs for a vocalist in Journey’s repertoire and Pineda’s performance blended seamlessly with the keyboards.

Aside from multiple apologies to the crowd, Schon told the crowd “I want to take you to my city, San Francisco,” and introduced “Lights” with different time lapses of San Francisco as the backdrop. He also encouraged the audience to use their lighters and phones to illuminate the arena.

Keyboardist Jonathan Cain followed “Lights” with a keyboard solo that gave the spotlight to him and his four Roland keyboards. Modern Drummer Hall of Fame member Steve Smith also had his own drum solo. Smith showcased his coordination by hitting the double kick pedals and the hi-hats at a quick tempo.

Cain dedicated the song “Faithfully” to the American Armed Forces in an emotional performance that focused on a soft piano melody and the crowd singing along on vocals.

“Don’t Stop Believin’” closed the show, as confetti was shot up to the ceiling along with a display of vibrant lights. “Lovin’, Touchin’, Squeezin’” was the encore that capped off the night.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: Would You have Waited or Left this Concert ?

Postby tater1977 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:03 pm

It would depend on the weather and/or if its a work night.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:19 pm

I would stay. And part of me would hope that a large percentage of the audience would leave early so that I wouldn't have to fight traffic when the show was over.

I would be pretty pissed off waiting for the show to start, though!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:24 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:I would stay. And part of me would hope that a large percentage of the audience would leave early so that I wouldn't have to fight traffic when the show was over.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I would be pretty pissed off waiting for the show to start, though!
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby AR » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:56 am

Depends on how long beer sales lasted and if I was driving or not.
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby tater1977 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:49 am

Many upset after Journey concert delayed for hours

by Kaylee Heck|Thursday, July 20th 2017

http://kfoxtv.com/news/local/many-upset ... -for-hours
- to watch video

EL PASO, Texas (KFOX14) — People waited months to see Journey in concert at the Don Haskins Center Wednesday night. It was those extra few hours of waiting, however, which concertgoers said took away from their experience.

"It was just unacceptable," Robert Angcayan said. "I'll never go to a Journey concert again."

Angcayan said he waited until 10:45 p.m. before leaving. The concert was scheduled to start at 7:30 p.m., but Journey did not arrive and start playing until about 11:10 p.m.

Journey's plane ran into mechanical issues in Tuscon, causing the UTEP Office of Special Events to scramble to figure out a way to get the band to El Paso.

"We had a major bump in the road that was fixed," Jorge Vazguez, executive director at UTEP's Office of Special Events, said. "It took some time for that to get done, but at the end of the day, we accomplished what we needed to accomplish."

Vazguez said his team was able to arrange for another plane to get Journey the rest of the way to El Paso in half the time they expected.

Thousands of people still stuck around, including Denisse Arce.

"A lot of people were cheering and everything, but a lot of people were there with their arms closed," she said.

KFOX 14 wanted to find out if ticket costs would be refunded for those who left early.

Vazguez said that because Journey and the opening act, Asia, both still played a full show, no refunds will be given.
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:05 am

Definitely out of anyones control.
Its cool they still played.
I would have been upset if I had to work early the next day but that is what sick days are for) :lol:
Would have been cool for Asia to play a longer set (theres is so short). But maybe the two new guys dont know the songs.

I remember back in the early 2000's a tornado cancelled a Journey concert in MN.
lucked out on that one, decided not to go (2+ hour drive) (cant remember why i did not).
But was very happy to have the ticket charge off my credit card the next day.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:22 am

As long as I got an explanation and updates as it was going on as to why the delay, then no problem. Would much rather have them delayed than go down like Lynyrd Skynyrd.

If I sat there for 3 hours with no explanation as to why the show had not started, I would have been hammering the bands' Facebook with posts complaining. Probably would have stayed, but maybe not ever gone to another one of their concerts.

I have no problem with no refunds being offered either since both played full sets.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:36 am

Sounds like this venue did give updates. Which is a plus for
a concert goer. Hate it when no explanations are given though.
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby K.C.Journey Fan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:41 pm

Halfway through the concert tonight, Journey had to stop because of down pours and 80 mph winds. Welcome to Kansas City.
K.C.Journey Fan
Stereo LP

Postby tj » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:43 pm

K.C.Journey Fan wrote:Halfway through the concert tonight, Journey had to stop because of down pours and 80 mph winds. Welcome to Kansas City.

Did they cancel the rest of the show or just on hold? If canceled, will they reschedule or refund?
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Fact Finder » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:37 am

Hell, 3 hours is nothing, I spent 10 hours in the Orlando Airport yesterday from 9:30 am until 7:45 pm, our 11 am flight was delayed till 2:30, then 4:30, then 5:30, and then the Pilot couldn't fly due to FAA rules so we waited another 2 hours for the on-call Pilot to show up. Then we flew into the massive storm near Cincy that you might have seen on the news today that flooded little Maysville, Ky. That was a light show Journey or any band would be envious of. When that Pilot walked into our gate area at 7 pm to prep the plane he got a standing O, and when we landed around 9:30 he got another. On the bright side all 150 or so passengers recieved $25 meal vouchers for the day, $10 for lunch and then $15 for dinner, and then we all got a $200 travel voucher for any flight booked before the end of October for travel anytime after or before. This was on Frontier. :lol:
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Archetype » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:38 am

Some people got a little too worked up about it. Not like Journey chose to be late, you paid to see them- they're on the way- stay and see them. If you choose to leave, then just leave and don't make a scene about it to draw attention to yourself.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:17 pm

tj wrote:
K.C.Journey Fan wrote:Halfway through the concert tonight, Journey had to stop because of down pours and 80 mph winds. Welcome to Kansas City.

Did they cancel the rest of the show or just on hold? If canceled, will they reschedule or refund?

NEAL SCHON MUSIC
@NealSchonMusic

Wow crazy weather. We were 3 songs in and were told we had to leave stage. Thunder Lightning and severe storms. Sorry friends Canceled https://twitter.com/nealschonmusic/stat ... 9958990848
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:50 am

Journey will not be rescheduled at Starlight

Posted 10:29 am, July 31, 2017

http://fox4kc.com/2017/07/31/journey-wi ... starlight/

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Here is the message put out on social media Monday morning by Starlight Theatre about the Journey concert that was disrupted and then called off due to severe weather.

“We tried – but due to scheduling conflicts, the July 22 Journey concert that was interrupted by severe weather cannot be rescheduled. We know this isn’t the news you were hoping for, but the concert is officially cancelled.

Tickets purchased with a credit card directly from Starlight Theatre via phone, http://www.kcstarlight.com or box office will be automatically refunded within the next seven business days. Tickets purchased with cash at the Starlight box office must be returned to the box office in person or by mail for a refund. Unless you have a specific question, there is no need to call Starlight. Refunds include service fees.

If you purchased tickets through a third-party source, such as a reseller or broker, you must contact that source to obtain a refund.”
tater1977
Stereo LP

Return to Journey