Spotify is now facing legal pressure from some of the larges

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Spotify is now facing legal pressure from some of the larges

Postby tater1977 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:13 am

musicnewsfeed (EN)‏ @musicnewsfeed_e · 7m7 minutes ago

Spotify Faces Stepped-Up Legal Pressure from Stevie Nicks, Neil Young, Steve Perry, The Doors, Stevie Ray Vaughan… http://ift.tt/2wvHGDf
----------------------------------

Spotify is now facing legal pressure from some of the largest musicians and songwriters in the world.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/0 ... ung-doors/

Earlier this week, Spotify was served with multiple lawsuits demanding hundreds of millions in unpaid royalties. But the list of prominent musicians and songwriters is far deeper than we imagined.

According to documents shared with Digital Music News, Spotify is now facing legal demands from high-profile stars like Stevie Nicks, Neil Young, Donald Fagen, Michael McDonald, and even members of Journey. Those artists were listed in a bombshell ‘Exhibit A’ that accompanied a formal protest against Spotify.

Others in the Exhibit include members of the Eagles, Cheap Trick, Jimmie Ray Vaughan, and the estate of Stevie Ray Vaughan. Even the Doors were listed in the complaint, specifically through the ‘Doors Music Company LLC’.

Earlier, we reported participation from Tom Petty, Rage Against the Machine, The Black Keys, Kenny Rogers, and the heirs of Sonny Bono.

These artists are all part of a massive legal pushback from Wixen Music Publishing. The publishing giant has recently moved to reject a proposed $43 million settlement. That settlement would absolve Spotify for failing to pay for ‘mechanical’ reproductive licenses, though it now appears unlikely to stand.

Even Bruce Willis is on the list. And he’s not the only actor: Anthony Hopkins has also been sidelining as a songwriter, apparently.

Separately, Spotify’s legal tussle with 9 different publishers also continued this week.

As part of its mounting mess surrounding the mechanical license, Spotify’s counter-offensive is growing ugly. Just last month, Spotify’s legal team engineered a complete reversal on the matter by arguing that the license did not apply to streaming services. That could stand in court, though it runs completely contrary to earlier declarations by the company.

We’ll have the complete Exhibit A, complete with 500+ names.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Re: Spotify is now facing legal pressure from some of the la

Postby bellairepark73 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:34 pm

I read the list and i didn't see Steve's name there or Steve Smith's on it either. Cannot be a complete list.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby Greg » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:40 pm

Always felt streaming services can be a slippery slope. Love Spotify because I can listen free and I can listen to just about anything I want on there in decent quality (mostly listen at work through headphones, sometimes, just one headphone), so I always wondered if Spotify is really making enough money from ads and premium accounts to rightfully pay the royalties.
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:47 pm

I like these types of services just so I don't have to upload my CD's. I own most of the songs I stream but its just easier. At one time around 2000-2001 I uploaded all of my songs but I didn't do a good job of backing up and I'm not interested in doing it again.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:57 pm

Here is a response from the author of this article regarding Steve and the list of names:
..." I’m not sure why the list got truncated. I’ll fix this. Actually, I realized the ‘Stephen Perry’ in this document is actually another illustrious musician, author of ‘Zoot Suit Riot’ among other great songs. But I realized he’s easily confused with ‘Steve Perry’ of Journey fame. So just to clarify I removed that name from the top title.

Thanks again for picking this up."

So it is unknown if Steve is actually included in this lawsuit. There was a follow-up question because of the other names of Journey. Hopefully a reply is pending. There was also another comment that was very interesting and begs to be answered.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Return to Journey