Page 1 of 1

Dont Stop Believeland! (Cleveland Indians- cover of Journey'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:54 pm
by tater1977
( Someone set me straight, I didn't think you could pen new lyrics unless
you got permission from the copyright owner/s ? )


Dont Stop Believeland! (Cleveland Indians- cover of Journey's 'Don't Stop Believing')

https://youtu.be/n6VVOfuN7ZI

Re: Dont Stop Believeland! (Cleveland Indians- cover of Jour

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:59 am
by perryfan61
I'd be interested to find out what the rules are too. Seems like it shouldn't be allowed, but maybe I'm wrong.

Re: Dont Stop Believeland! (Cleveland Indians- cover of Jour

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:05 am
by scarab
my guess because it is a (real bad) parody and or not for financial gain.

Re: Dont Stop Believeland! (Cleveland Indians- cover of Jour

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:45 am
by Journey/Survivor
tater1977 wrote:( Someone set me straight, I didn't think you could pen new lyrics unless
you got permission from the copyright owner/s ? )


Dont Stop Believeland! (Cleveland Indians- cover of Journey's 'Don't Stop Believing')

https://youtu.be/n6VVOfuN7ZI


Back in 1986 when the Cleveland Browns were in the AFC Championship game, there were a lot of covers of songs like "Louie Louie" and "Return To Sender" that were changed to "Bernie Bernie" and "Return To Denver."

From what I've heard Weird Al Yankovic has said that he does not need permission to change lyrics for his songs. He only asks the original artist as a good will gesture.

Re: Dont Stop Believeland! (Cleveland Indians- cover of Jour

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:47 am
by Journey/Survivor
scarab wrote:my guess because it is a (real bad) parody and or not for financial gain.


I haven't heard it yet, but I think that you're probably right? It's probably just intended to be local here in Cleveland, and only for fans to root for the Indians?

Re: Dont Stop Believeland! (Cleveland Indians- cover of Jour

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:55 pm
by bellairepark73
Journey/Survivor wrote:
scarab wrote:my guess because it is a (real bad) parody and or not for financial gain.


I haven't heard it yet, but I think that you're probably right? It's probably just intended to be local here in Cleveland, and only for fans to root for the Indians?


I seem to remember that there was this guy who also did that with DSB and Steve said he should have gotten permission.

Re: Dont Stop Believeland! (Cleveland Indians- cover of Jour

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:01 pm
by bellairepark73
Any one know if there is any truth to Steve not renewing his subscription seats to SF games and SF Giants no longer using Lights or DSB? Anything to that? Something to wonder about or 'that's nothing'?

Re: Dont Stop Believeland! (Cleveland Indians- cover of Jour

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:09 am
by SF-Dano
bellairepark73 wrote:Any one know if there is any truth to Steve not renewing his subscription seats to SF games and SF Giants no longer using Lights or DSB? Anything to that? Something to wonder about or 'that's nothing'?

Don't know about the seats, but have been to a few Giants games this season and I believe they still play both. Definitely heard Lights every game (5) I was at this season.

Re: Dont Stop Believeland! (Cleveland Indians- cover of Jour

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:58 am
by bellairepark73
SF-Dano wrote:
bellairepark73 wrote:Any one know if there is any truth to Steve not renewing his subscription seats to SF games and SF Giants no longer using Lights or DSB? Anything to that? Something to wonder about or 'that's nothing'?

Don't know about the seats, but have been to a few Giants games this season and I believe they still play both. Definitely heard Lights every game (5) I was at this season.
Thanks Dano. I read several articles online that since July they stopped playing it and replaced it with something else.

Re: Dont Stop Believeland! (Cleveland Indians- cover of Jour

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:36 pm
by annie89509
oh boy :roll: ... another ball club hijacking the song for championship run. If the Indians make it to the WS, might SP get an invitation to be their personal (good luck) mascot, like other teams have done?

Re: Dont Stop Believeland! (Cleveland Indians- cover of Jour

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:16 pm
by Journey/Survivor
annie89509 wrote:oh boy :roll: ... another ball club hijacking the song for championship run. If the Indians make it to the WS, might SP get an invitation to be their personal (good luck) mascot, like other teams have done?


A few years ago, for some reason, the Indians would play "Wheel In The Sky" after every win. I always wondered why they played WITS instead of DSB?