JSS talks Journey 11/03/2017

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

JSS talks Journey 11/03/2017

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:11 pm

"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Re: JSS talks Journey 11/03/2017

Postby perryfan61 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

He will never get that closure, unfortunately. The band would like to erase that whole year from their history, I think,but at least the fans here will not forget JSS.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:43 am

perryfan61 wrote:He will never get that closure, unfortunately. The band would like to erase that whole year from their history, I think,but at least the fans here will not forget JSS.

JSS deserved better. No doubt about that.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby S2M » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:45 am

'Believe in Me' was better than ANYTHING off Eclipse, or Revelation.

Journey chose to sell their souls for a rags to riches, feel good story.
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:58 am

S2M wrote:'Believe in Me' was better than ANYTHING off Eclipse, or Revelation.

Good song.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby tj » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:04 am

I don't think that they knew that they would get the whole rags to riches story of Arnel when Jeff was let go. They wanted the "legacy sound", so finding someone who could sound more like Perry was their goal. I think anyone other than Arnel would not have given Journey the boost they were looking for. They got really lucky with his life story being what it is.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:06 pm

tj wrote:

I don't think that they knew that they would get the whole rags to riches story of Arnel when Jeff was let go. They wanted the "legacy sound", so finding someone who could sound more like Perry was their goal. I think anyone other than Arnel would not have given Journey the boost they were looking for. They got really lucky with his life story being what it is.

I totally agree with you! On everything in your post.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:39 am

I would have loved to hear a Journey album with JSS. It would have been awesome. JSS would have given the band new energy. I love Arnel, but I still wish they would have done at least one album with JSS. Journey needs to bury the hatchet and bring back Augeri and JSS and keep Arnel. Then they can do an Evening with Journey. With two bands, you only get the dirty dozen. Fans want more.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby Abitaman » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:02 am

I too wanted a JSS lead Journey. Saw him concert with them. It was good, but had mixed feelings about some of the songs vocally. Even after saying that, and seeing them in concert, I wanted a JSS Journey. I think that would have put everything in place for the band.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby annie89509 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:30 pm

It’s a cutthroat business – hurt feelings be damned. That’s just the reality. Jeff is never going to get an explanation -- I think he knows that.

Say what you will about personality conflict and such – that was hinted to by band members themselves – but we all know the real reason for his firing, and probably not Neal’s or Jon’s decision, either.

No, JSS didn’t do anything wrong. Like others above said, he didn’t have the legacy sound (code for sounding like Perry). Remember, they just signed a deal with Walmart to do a double album (Revelation) – 1 side being a remake of their greatest hits. Can you imagine how that was going to go down? JSS’s voice to the dirty dozen?

Jeff came in for SA to finish the tour. People liked his energy, and he gave the band a renewed spark after the dreadful tapegate scandal. His singing those songs, though, had mixed reviews. Live performances are exciting to attend – easy to get caught up in the euphoria of motion and sound. Sitting at home listening to a record is whole ‘nother matter. That remake of Journey’s old hits better sound like the original songs—if they expect the mass public to buy it. I think management made a business decision to let JSS go.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:37 am

annie89509 wrote:Say what you will about personality conflict and such – that was hinted to by band members themselves – but we all know the real reason for his firing, and probably not Neal’s or Jon’s decision, either.

No, JSS didn’t do anything wrong. Like others above said, he didn’t have the legacy sound (code for sounding like Perry).

JSS is a nice agreeable guy. Personality conflict is bullshit. And when he joined, the band received raves for his performance. Many of the Perry die-hards on this forum actually became fans again because of his performance.

annie89509 wrote:Remember, they just signed a deal with Walmart to do a double album (Revelation) – 1 side being a remake of their greatest hits. Can you imagine how that was going to go down? JSS’s voice to the dirty dozen?

Sure. Ever hear Coming Home from Sirkus cd? Or If I Fall from WET? More soulful than anything the band has put out under Arnel. Better question - have you heard the Arnel re-recorded hits? Kevin Shirley didn't have time to remove AP's diction issues like he did on the new material disc. Aside from some extended Neal solos, they are frankly dire.

annie89509 wrote:Jeff came in for SA to finish the tour. People liked his energy, and he gave the band a renewed spark after the dreadful tapegate scandal.

Yes, but at the end of the tour they released a press release announcing JSS as their official new singer.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby scarab » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:28 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwFvx49OU2o

best version of this song live, ever.

The legacy sound, yep! This sure sounds like a Journey song to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWoaB95dtx4
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:25 am

I have no proof on this whatsoever and I am probably just talking out of my ass, but JSS seemed to be Neal's guy. I am guessing they would have rocked more, but still able to do the ballads when needed. I think Jon wanted more ballads and forced JSS to be removed. I still think it was Jon would found Arnel on Youtube and then told Neal to say that he (Neal) found Arnel. This way it covered up that Neal wanted JSS.

Again, I am probably completely wrong, but this all seems logical to me.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby yulog » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:06 pm

The one song they did with Jeff was hideous and if I remember correctly it was along the lines of a ballad more than a rocker.
yulog
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:24 am

yulog wrote:The one song they did with Jeff was hideous and if I remember correctly it was along the lines of a ballad more than a rocker.

Winds of Freedom was written while Jeff was out of the country. Nice song. Lyrics are typical Cain schlock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr_8fxKjSIg
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby scarab » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:11 am

yeah, song was terrible but written for a special event, not meant to be a Journey song. Even Perry couldnt have saved that song
Typical Cain crap from the same era:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6nVNVOwZO8
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:35 pm

The original WET was one of my favorite albums to date when it came out. I wore out that CD and tossed Journey's stuff to the back when WET released. I always claimed JSS wasn't right for the classic Journey sound, but he sure as hell could have been their Sammy Hagar and THEN some if they wanted to switch gears. He still did the dirtydozen justice and was/is a great frontman. Jeff won me over as time went on years after he was ousted. Looking back and listening to more of that tour where he filled in for Steve A, JSS was the real deal.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:42 pm

Goddamn, that's nuthairs away from being flawless. That was an incredible live rendition of IBAWY. The nuances to Perry and how he crafted himself on stage are certainly present.

Man, that brings back memories of what, 2008 or so? Damn. I wore that shit OUT. WET is one of the RARE albums where I listened to its entirety from song 1 to the last, straight through. There wasn't one song wasted on that album. Each brought their own SNAP, CRACKLE and POP. "One Day At A Time" still gets me. Great flow and emotion throughout.

One Day At A Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV1Ms3j8mDg

Great stuff.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Deb » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:51 pm

This is the one that gets me too. You listen to this one and it is no surprise as to why he pulled a lot of die hard Perry fans back around to Journey. Me included. You can sure hear that Perry was one of his major influences. Love the delivery on this one!
Image Now Playing: Big Love - Live. https://youtu.be/WDwr63QVzJA
Deb
MP3

Postby JourneyHard » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:39 am

Deb wrote:

This is the one that gets me too. You listen to this one and it is no surprise as to why he pulled a lot of die hard Perry fans back around to Journey. Me included. You can sure hear that Perry was one of his major influences. Love the delivery on this one!

The plot thickens. Perhaps it was Steve Perry who nixed Jeff Scott Soto. I don't know if Perry has this power when he signed off on them going on with Journey without him. If he does, he might have seen Jeff Scott Soto as being too good and jealously got the best of Perry and he nixed him. Now this makes sense. And Neal and Jon aren't allowed to talk about it because of the silence clause they signed to keep the band going after Perry. Sorry, Jeff. You aren't going to get your answer. They are forbidden to tell you anything.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby Arkansas » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:00 am

Just heard the WET Stockholm live set for the first time.
Wow! Don't know how it can get much better than that. Really.

later~
Arkansas
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:28 am

JourneyHard wrote:
The plot thickens. Perhaps it was Steve Perry who nixed Jeff Scott Soto. I don't know if Perry has this power when he signed off on them going on with Journey without him. If he does, he might have seen Jeff Scott Soto as being too good and jealously got the best of Perry and he nixed him. Now this makes sense.

Ridiculous. Perry praised Jeff. And if SP had that veto power - which I highly doubt - then how did JSS tour with the band and get to be named their official lead singer?
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:19 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:
The plot thickens. Perhaps it was Steve Perry who nixed Jeff Scott Soto. I don't know if Perry has this power when he signed off on them going on with Journey without him. If he does, he might have seen Jeff Scott Soto as being too good and jealously got the best of Perry and he nixed him. Now this makes sense.

Ridiculous. Perry praised Jeff. And if SP had that veto power - which I highly doubt - then how did JSS tour with the band and get to be named their official lead singer?

TNC is absolutely right. Perry praised JEFF and said that he was the one to take JRNY to next level...all WITHOUT hearing Soto. All on rep only. Completely Neal and Jon's call. And they dumped him, completely without warning and call. Management allowed it. Can we please stop blaming the former lead singer? :cry:
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby jestor92 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:14 pm

As a fan of Journey it was the worst mistake they've made since the split with Perry (even worse then the Augeri lip sync). It was the worst because Soto when given strong guys to co-write with can write some fantastic melodic rock songs. He's shown that. If he was given the chance to write with Schon and Cain I think the results would've been fantastic. It also could've given the band a chance to step out of Perry's shadow a bit because he isn't a Perry sound-alike. Instead they went with Arnie had a hit album and have hit a big slide of shit that they still haven't climbed out yet.

As a fan of JSS I think it was the best for him. I personally don't think his voice would've held up long term as the vocalist for Journey because in a lot of the video's/boots I've heard with him in the band he sounded like he was straining the vocs to hit the notes. I think he would've wore something out had he stayed in that band for the long haul. We also have been able to get a ton of great new music from Jeff while Cain, I mean Journey is content to tour off the old stuff and doesn't seem interested in writing new music.
jestor92
8 Track

Postby jrnyman28 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:13 am

tj wrote:

by "they" I think you mean Jon wanted the "legacy sound"....
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:10 am

They want the "Legacy Sound" without sounding like anything Journey did before. This is impossible and is like banging your head against a wall.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby lparn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:42 am

I only saw one show with jeff Scott Soto singing. Did hear a few songs off the soul Sirkus cd
I think he's an awesome singer
Not sure if he was the correct singer for journey
I personally was concerned they would go in the direction of soul sirkus for the band which
I wasn't a huge fan of
I do agree it sucks how they handled things naming him as singer then firing him
And saying Steve augeri was returning to the tour when he wasn't
Sucks all around how they handle problems :roll:
lparn
45 RPM

Postby lparn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:50 am

JourneyHard wrote:I would have loved to hear a Journey album with JSS. It would have been awesome. JSS would have given the band new energy. I love Arnel, but I still wish they would have done at least one album with JSS. Journey needs to bury the hatchet and bring back Augeri and JSS and keep Arnel. Then they can do an Evening with Journey. With two bands, you only get the dirty dozen. Fans want more.

As much as I would love to see Steve augeri back in journey I don't know if he would want to return
His voice and health were really damaged from the constant touring
Saw him twice in 2017 he has come a long way back
I think generationsshould have been an ep
Still think about if they had given him a rest
lparn
45 RPM

Postby Shadowsong » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:32 pm

I liked Soul Sirkus & Jeff was invited to the 2005 HWOF. He had ties with Neal. Who knows but for some reason from what I read I thought I heard or maybe read between the lines that Jeff got strange sometimes...I'll probably get shot down for it as I really can't quote the source & 10 years later its my "impression" so take it with a grain of salt. I have not followed Journey or JSS for that matter for quite a while & I am dealing with life & death health issues which make one have a different perspective on life.
Music has taken a back seat!!!!
~Shadow~

There is a seed within called hope
Waiting for the chance to grow
There's forever flowing from your soul
Waiting for the spirit to be flown
Shadowsong
Cassette Tape

Postby DracIsBack » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:43 am

scarab wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwFvx49OU2o