Don't Stop Believin': The Man, the Band, and the Song that Inspired Generations
by Jonathan Cain (Author)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07754LCFP

Kindle
$14.99
Hardcover
$16.83

Due out May 1, 2018.

Jonathan Cain and the band Journey were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2017, but Cain’s journey to fame wasn’t always easy.

As a child, Cain survived a horrific school fire that killed nearly 100 of his classmates. His experience formed a resilience that would carry him through both tragedy and success in the years to come.

Moving from Chicago to Sunset Boulevard, Cain never let go of his musical dreams, eventually getting his big break with the iconic band Journey—and writing the songs that would become the soundtrack of a generation.

In this long-awaited memoir, Cain takes us on a spiritual odyssey from center stage with Journey when all America was listening to his life-changing faith today. Through it all, he reminds us of the melodies and lyrics that serve as milestones for our biggest dreams—as they call us to never stop believing.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: You can now Pre-order Jonathan Cain's book

Postby perryfan61 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:34 am

Unfortunately, Amazon.ca does not have it available, as of yesterday. I will keep on checking to see if it shows up.

Just checked again, it's available now, I ordered it.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Lora » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:53 am

tater1977 wrote:Don't Stop Believin': The Man, the Band, and the Song that Inspired Generations

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07754LCFP.

The title is nauseating. :roll:
Lora
8 Track

Postby EightyRock » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:12 pm

That title would suggest he is the sole creator of that hit song. Anyone that doesn't know any different is going to assume that.
EightyRock
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:49 pm

Lora wrote:
tater1977 wrote:Don't Stop Believin': The Man, the Band, and the Song that Inspired Generations

The title had me thinking of ... :lol:
I did it ALL myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXMuWi0dUBc
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Lora wrote:

He could have toned it down a bit,I agree, but I'm hoping for a peek into the inside story of the band. Hopefully it's not a story about his lifelong search for God, because I'm not a fan of his current "ministry".
Last edited by perryfan61 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby KDOUBLEU » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:46 am

Dude has gotten too weird for me. Pass.
KDOUBLEU
Cassette Tape

Postby slucero » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:01 pm

I can't find a reason to order that book..

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby tj » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:00 pm

No problem with the title for me. SP, Smith, Ross or Neal, or even Herbie could have used it and I would be fine with it. A lot of performers are associated with songs that they played on, but in many cases they had nothing to do with writing them. At least Jon had a pretty big hand in this case.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby S2M » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:10 pm

Met Jon & Arnel at a meet & greet with Travis on August 27th, 2011...in Pittsburgh.

Arnel was gracious as fuck. But Jon? Jon rolled his eyes when we asked him for a photograph.

Mighty Christian of him....don't ya think?
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby tj » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:17 pm

S2M wrote:Met Jon & Arnel at a meet & greet with Travis on August 27th, 2011...in Pittsburgh.

Arnel was gracious as fuck. But Jon? Jon rolled his eyes when we asked him for a photograph.

I don't think Jon had found his new spirituality yet at that point.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:22 pm

KDOUBLEU wrote:Dude has gotten too weird for me. Pass.

Any weirder than George Harrison's move into Indian religion? Or any other number of rock stars endorsing spirituality over the years? Harrison's religious focus doesn't bother me because it was always about the music for me. Even when he was singing about spiritual things.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby youkeepmewaiting » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:12 pm

tj wrote:

Any weirder than George Harrison's move into Indian religion? Or any other number of rock stars endorsing spirituality over the years? Harrison's religious focus doesn't bother me because it was always about the music for me. Even when he was singing about spiritual things.

It's who he's associating himself with
youkeepmewaiting
Cassette Tape

Postby youkeepmewaiting » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:13 pm

tj wrote:
S2M wrote:Met Jon & Arnel at a meet & greet with Travis on August 27th, 2011...in Pittsburgh.

I don't think Jon had found his new spirituality yet at that point.

I'm not sure that finding Christianity means you don't act like a dick anymore
youkeepmewaiting
Cassette Tape

Postby brywool » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:16 am

tj wrote:

Well, George didn't open every sentence with "Krishna says this, Krishna says that" (usually unless you were asking about Krishna or meditation). Patty and Olivia also weren't the heads of questionable MegaChurches, and neither was George. Also, George never lost his sense of humour. He could seem quite bitter about The Beatles, for sure. But he was always ready to laugh and he didn't take things (ESPECIALLY HIMSELF) so seriously. Some of his more religious tunes were also great pieces of music. I dunno, as a Beatle geek, I cut him slack on it.

With Jon... man, Jon just seems so unhappy (from an outsider's point of view). He's got time to 'devote' to writing his solo album, but no time or desire to write new songs for Journey? I think that (unfortunately) Jon needs to take some time off from Journey. When I saw him singing DSB on the Jim Bakker show, I lost so much respect for him. I get it that he's born again. But even so... JIM BAKKER? Jon, what are you thinking? A man's gotta do whatta man's gotta do I guess.

I also agree that Arnel IS TOTALLY gracious. Super Super nice guy. Swapping subjects for a bit, it annoys me that Neal is not including Arnel in his "Journey Through Time" (or whatever it's called). Arnel's been a workhorse throughout his time with Journey. Just seems like he's getting a bum deal from Neal here (I could be completely wrong, I obviously have no idea).

Okay, on the title of the book, you could read it that he was "responsible for the song that inspired "Generations" (One of Journey's most unpopular albums) ;)
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby steveo777 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:26 pm

brywool wrote:
tj wrote:

Well, George didn't open every sentence with "Krishna says this, Krishna says that" (usually unless you were asking about Krishna or meditation). Patty and Olivia also weren't the heads of questionable MegaChurches, and neither was George. Also, George never lost his sense of humour. He could seem quite bitter about The Beatles, for sure. But he was always ready to laugh and he didn't take things (ESPECIALLY HIMSELF) so seriously. Some of his more religious tunes were also great pieces of music. I dunno, as a Beatle geek, I cut him slack on it.

With Jon... man, Jon just seems so unhappy (from an outsider's point of view). He's got time to 'devote' to writing his solo album, but no time or desire to write new songs for Journey? I think that (unfortunately) Jon needs to take some time off from Journey. When I saw him singing DSB on the Jim Bakker show, I lost so much respect for him. I get it that he's born again. But even so... JIM BAKKER? Jon, what are you thinking? A man's gotta do whatta man's gotta do I guess.

I also agree that Arnel IS TOTALLY gracious. Super Super nice guy. Swapping subjects for a bit, it annoys me that Neal is not including Arnel in his "Journey Through Time" (or whatever it's called). Arnel's been a workhorse throughout his time with Journey. Just seems like he's getting a bum deal from Neal here (I could be completely wrong, I obviously have no idea).

Okay, on the title of the book, you could read it that he was "responsible for the song that inspired "Generations" (One of Journey's most unpopular albums) ;)

This puzzles me too, Bryan. It makes me wonder what Arnel's status is, at this point. I know Journey has a song called "Never Walk Away", BUT, maybe it's time for Jon to walk away and Rolie to step back in, or another qualified keyboardist. He's gone too far out there for me. I know a guy, named David Castagna that could fill that role nicely, but I've asked him and he said there's no way he'd consider leaving his current lifestyle and family to tour with the band.
steveo777
MP3

Postby Andrew » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:00 am

Lora wrote:

Yeah, what a blowhard.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Lora » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:41 am

brywool wrote:
tj wrote:

100% agree. George Harrison never tried to scam poor people out of their savings through some sketchy Mega Church. He was sincere and his spirituality came through in his beautiful music. He seemed like a man at peace with himself. Don't get that vibe off the Cains.
Lora
8 Track

Postby tj » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:59 am

Lora wrote:

100% agree. George Harrison never tried to scam poor people out of their savings through some sketchy Mega Church. He was sincere and his spirituality came through in his beautiful music. He seemed like a man at peace with himself. Don't get that vibe off the Cains.

Listen to My Sweet Lord, one of his biggest,if not the biggest hit. They title alone is completely religious. I lost track of how many Hari Krishnas are sung on that one. Agree about the wives and mega church.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:08 pm

Journey Band Member On the Blessings of Christmas
THE FOUNDATION

http://www1.cbn.com/video/SUE568_Jonath ... -christmas
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby brywool » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:26 am

tj wrote:
Lora wrote:

Listen to My Sweet Lord, one of his biggest,if not the biggest hit. They title alone is completely religious. I lost track of how many Hari Krishnas are sung on that one. Agree about the wives and mega church.

Who said it wasn't religious?
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Lora » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:38 am

Thank you, Lewis Black. I needed this today. A classic rant from 2008: https://youtu.be/nbEINXqNrkY
Lora
8 Track

Postby lparn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:45 pm

I recall meeting Jon a few times over the years
To me he was always very 2 sided and you never knew if he would be nice
Or rude
I respect anyone's choice of religion I just don't want it forced on me or in
Things like music
He seems like he doesn't care about journey anymore
Will buy the book if I have a coupon from Google play or amazon
lparn
45 RPM

Postby tater1977 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:00 pm

JOURNEY Keyboardist JONATHAN CAIN To Release 'Don't Stop Believin'' Memoir In May

January 31, 2018

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/journe ... ir-in-may/

JOURNEY keyboardist Jonathan Cain will release his memoir, "Don't Stop Believin'", on May 1 via Zondervan.

In the first book by a member of the band, Cain shares his personal story and path to faith as well as behind-the-scenes stories of his 36-year career with one of America's favorite, multi-hit rock bands, including his inspiration for co-writing "Don't Stop Believin'". The memoir was co-written with Travis Thrasher. Cain is represented by Darrell D. Miller of Fox Rothschild, and world rights were acquired by Zondervan acquisitions editor John Sloan.

"Jonathan Cain is a legendary musician, but more importantly, he is passionate about sharing his story in a way that inspires, entertains and uplifts his readers just like the music of JOURNEY," says David Morris, vice president and publisher, Zondervan Trade.

Cain is co-writer of the number one digital catalog song in history, "Don't Stop Believin'", as well as writer of "Faithfully" and co-writer of "Who's Crying Now", "Open Arms" and many more international hit songs.

In the memoir, Cain shares stories from his childhood growing up in Chicago and the lasting impact surviving a horrific school fire had on his life. Cain's love for music and his perseverance brought him to Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles where he discovered a wild rock scene before getting his big break.

The memoir includes revelations about JOURNEY's history, including Steve Perry's decision to leave the band, chronicles the massive success along with some surprising failures and discusses the legacy Cain wants to leave through his music. Cain also shares about his marriage to pastor Paula White and what prompted him to release his first solo Christian album.

In 1976, Cain released his first solo record, "Windy City Breakdown". In 1979 he joined the band THE BABYS, and in 1980 joined JOURNEY, rounding out the songwriting genius behind the defining album "Escape".

Cain's signature piano, synth playing and songwriting contributions with JOURNEY, THE BABYS and BAD ENGLISH have earned him many Billboard hits, multiple gold, platinum and diamond-selling records, a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame, and the best-selling catalog rock song in iTunes' history ("Don't Stop Believin'"). JOURNEY was named as the fifth best band in rock history in a 2005 USA Today opinion poll, was inducted to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in 2017 and continues today, selling out arenas worldwide.

Cain and JOURNEY guitarist Neal Schon feuded publicly on social media last summer after Cain and some of his other bandmates visited the White House in July, where they were photographed with President Donald Trump. (Cain's wife, Paula White, delivered the invocation at Trump's presidential inauguration.)

"Y'know, we just tolerate it," Cain told Billboard. "He just did an interview and aired his laundry again, so I'm like, 'Okay, whatever, dude...' The music is bigger than us, bigger than all this stuff and the fans are more important than all that stuff. So I'm not going there. I haven't even thought about it, to tell you the truth. I really haven't. I'm just out there for the fans. I'm out there for the legacy. We just got the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, so you want to live up to that and I think that's the spirit you go out with, not anything else. I'm just looking forward to making music again, music I love and I loved to help create."
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:45 pm

tater1977 wrote:"Y'know, we just tolerate it," Cain told Billboard. "He just did an interview and aired his laundry again, so I'm like, 'Okay, whatever, dude...' The music is bigger than us, bigger than all this stuff and the fans are more important than all that stuff. So I'm not going there. I haven't even thought about it, to tell you the truth. I really haven't. I'm just out there for the fans. I'm out there for the legacy. We just got the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, so you want to live up to that and I think that's the spirit you go out with, not anything else. I'm just looking forward to making music again, music I love and I loved to help create."

Funny that Cain says he is "looking forward to making music again." Guess that only applies to playing the same boring old songs.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:11 am

For those keeping count, both Arnel's documentary and now Jon's book have the title of "Don't Stop Believin." Very creative. :roll:
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:06 am

Maybe Steve will title his Escape. :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby perryswoman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:43 am

I could not stand reading that even if I was paid. He has turned into a wack job
Come back Steve Perry!!
perryswoman
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:09 pm

Journey keyboardist Jonathan Cain has announced the publication of his memoir, Don’t Stop Believin’.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jonathan ... -believin/

Martin Kielty

The book is due May 1 and his publishers described it as in keeping with Cain's “passionate” attitude to “sharing his story in a way that inspires, entertains and uplifts his readers, just like the music of Journey.”

Cain joined the band in 1980 after stints as both a solo artist and as a member of the Babys, replacing Gregg Rolie, who cofounded Journey with Neal Schon. He arrived in time to co-write 1981’s Escape album with Schon and singer Steve Perry, including the hits “Don’t Stop Believin’,” “Who’s Crying Now” and “Open Arms.”

The book charts those events, as well as the tensions surrounding Perry’s departure in 1987 and a range of “massive successes along with some surprising failures.” It also deals with the “horrific” fire at his school that had a “lasting impact” on his life, his marriage, his Christian beliefs and the “perseverance” that led him to his big break. There’s also discussion about “the legacy Cain wants to leave through his music.”

“It was kind of divine intervention that the Lord would bring me to this guy that could just sing like that, and how many things we had in common and how much we loved just writing great songs," Cain told Billboard in a new interview, speaking of his relationship with Perry. "It was just magical. I wanted to show the reader that I got lifted up and swept into this vortex of greatness and was in the studio making Escape with a band I hadn't played a note with. I can't make that up. It happened. I want the reader to know just how supernatural that felt, and how after the years of rejection and failed attempts at trying to be a solo artist and trying to take my music down the road that I'm part of something this cool."

Journey recently confirmed a U.S. tour with Def Leppard, following a period in which the band’s future appeared to be uncertain. Cain and Schon became involved in a public battle after the keyboardist and some of his bandmates visited President Donald Trump at the White House – a move that led Schon to believe they were negatively affecting the band’s reputation. They've since settled their differences. “[W]e just tolerate it,” Cain told Billboard. “The music is bigger than us, bigger than all this stuff and the fans are more important than all that stuff. ... I’m just out there for the fans. I’m out there for the legacy.”

The group was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame last year. “Don’t Stop Believin’” remains the most-downloaded digital catalog song of all time. The book, which was co-written with Travis Thrasher, is available for pre-order now.
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:12 pm

Jon if your so pumped up about being in the band, how about pumping
out a new tune or two :?
tater1977
Stereo LP

Next

Return to Journey