Chalfant's 'Fly2Fr33dom'

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Chalfant's 'Fly2Fr33dom'

Postby S2M » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:32 am

I made a comment in another thread implying that it was, for lack of better phrasing - a lackluster effort.

I've since revisited the album, and have a more detailed assessment. Please don't expect an Andrew-like review - that dude just slays his reviews...lol

First, the music at times is very good, but overall doesn't have that 'punch'.

Secondly, and most important, for those who clamor for a Chalfant-fronted Journey...he is almost perfect with hitting Perry's TONE, but his voice isn't FULL enough. He's certainly better than Hugo in the power aspect, but it's too tinny/trebley(is that a word? lol) at times. Of course he's lost the Storm voice, and I'm sure he's even lost the F2F voice, which as I've stated...wasn't there to begin with, totally.

Another problem I have with Chalfant is he extends final words/notes in an almost unnatural way. And he tends to be too 'breathy'. Doesn't have Arnel's diction issues, but it's ALMOST as bad. Well...to THIS Journey purist's ears. But I'm going deaf, so take that with a grain of salt. I hope Susie from Nottinghamshire will see this, and comment...I always enjoyed her singing/vocal takes on things.

As I'm writing this I'm listening to Feeling That Way...love the music, but the rendition is fucking godawful. And now Anytime. Both songs sound like they were record on the wrong speed.

As always, your mileage may vary....and I welcome your thoughts, comments...and in the case of TNC, the insults. :lol: :lol:
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Re: Chalfant's 'Fly2Fr33dom'

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:37 am

Chalfant has been doing Journey songs on the road. IMO, he's pulling them off better than Arnel or Augeri or SP at this point. By the time of F2F, his time may have passed. But he was still picked by Herbie to replace Perry and that's good enough for me. His work with The Storm and Two Fires speaks for itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTT-0SKPdWM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-0U22QkWzc
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby S2M » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:48 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Chalfant has been doing Journey songs on the road. IMO, he's pulling them off better than Arnel or Augeri or SP at this point. By the time of F2F, his time may have passed. But he was still picked by Herbie to replace Perry and that's good enough for me. His work with The Storm and Two Fires speaks for itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTT-0SKPdWM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-0U22QkWzc

I agree, wholeheartedly. Kevin is lightyears ahead of AP, SA, or SA. And he should have been SP's replacement. Well, he or Kelty.

Where were You is probably his best song from F2F. I love the fucking song anyway. a top 10 SP tune for me.

But like I said...his voice is often light and empty. But as you said, he was probably 'toast' by F2F. The first time I heard 'I've got a lot to learn about love' - I honestly thought it was SP...so there you go.
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:17 am

S2M wrote:But like I said...his voice is often light and empty. But as you said, he was probably 'toast' by F2F. The first time I heard 'I've got a lot to learn about love' - I honestly thought it was SP...so there you go.

I wouldn't say toast. Still great but getting older. The time for KC was after Frontiers.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Abitaman » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:37 am

Would still love to a Kevin led Journey. My issue with F2F was the production, it wasn't the best. But I have always like the way Kevin sings, and wish he had replaced Perry. Nothing against JSS, AP or Augeri, Kevin is the best person for the band, can do the classics and right and sing in the classic mode.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:06 am

Abitaman wrote:Would still love to a Kevin led Journey. My issue with F2F was the production, it wasn't the best. But I have always like the way Kevin sings, and wish he had replaced Perry. Nothing against JSS, AP or Augeri, Kevin is the best person for the band, can do the classics and right and sing in the classic mode.

As with many things...the band should have listened to Herbie.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Return to Journey