New Steve Augeri Song

Postby ScarabFan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:54 am

World of Our Own

What do you think?
ScarabFan
Ol' 78

Re: New Steve Augeri Song

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:14 am

Didn't buy it yet on ITunes. Another DeRossi co-write. He's written a few SA tunes, including Believe on Generations.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Abitaman » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:34 am

ScarabFan wrote:World of Our Own

What do you think?

Have to check it out this week.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby marco17 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:35 pm

IMO, it's almost like 2 different songs in one.... the chorus seams stronger musically, where the rest of the song seems a little weak musically and lyrically. He's had stronger songs...regardless, always nice to hear something new here and there from SA.
marco17
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:21 am

Since leaving Journey, SA has released multiple singles. Some feature large AOR hooks like Journey. Others go for something a little more intimate and artsy. All in all, SA has put out a diverse and catchy collection of music. Hopefully someday he will be put all the singles on one album.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:40 am

marco17 wrote:IMO, it's almost like 2 different songs in one.... the chorus seams stronger musically, where the rest of the song seems a little weak musically and lyrically. He's had stronger songs...regardless, always nice to hear something new here and there from SA.

The keyboard refrain is a little overbearing. But overall, I think it's a great tune. Great chorus. Very very SA. Wish he got to showcase more of this side in Journey.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby AR » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNKL-sbURDw

I like it. Only criticism is the production but I'm sure it was done on not much of a budget. Love the chorus.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby FamilyMan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:15 am

Phenomenal song! One of his best efforts in years. Sounds better than anything on Generations or Red 13 by far. Anyone know if he wrote it?
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby Eric » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:31 am

If that wasn't Augeri I would have turned that off rather quickly.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby ScarabFan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:09 am

FamilyMan wrote:Phenomenal song! One of his best efforts in years. Sounds better than anything on Generations or Red 13 by far. Anyone know if he wrote it?

Augeri and Derossi
ScarabFan
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:54 am

FamilyMan wrote:Phenomenal song! One of his best efforts in years. Sounds better than anything on Generations or Red 13 by far. Anyone know if he wrote it?

Better than faith in the Heartland or place in your heart? Or walking away from the edge? You're high.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby yulog » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:36 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Better than faith in the Heartland or place in your heart? Or walking away from the edge? You're high.

Have to agree. Wish Steve and Deen would get together and do something
yulog
Stereo LP

Postby FamilyMan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:27 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

On par at the very least. WAFTE overrated, BTW.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby SF-Dano » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:36 am

FamilyMan wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

On par at the very least. WAFTE overrated, BTW.

Wasn't WAFTE written with Geoff Tate around the time of auditioning lead singers? Maybe I have it confused with another song?
SF-Dano
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:55 am

yes,
Walking Away was co-written with Tate,
initially not credited for reasons unknown.
But the intro has Queensryche all over it.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:13 am

The Tate co-write was acknowledged in an interview with Tate. Also with Andrew's interview with Steve Augeri (excerpt below).

Andrew: Oh wow! So there's that many demos sitting out there.
Augeri: And if I may say so, there were some songs that were left off the record that I really wish had gotten onto the record. In fact, there's a song that the guys wrote with Geoff Tate.

Andrew: Oh really!?
Augeri: Yeah. That was absolutely amazing. Just amazing. The week that I went out to audition, we recorded four Journey songs and we recorded about four new songs. And one of them was a song they had written with Geoff and one other was "Signs of Life". In fact that was the very first song out of the bag as a Journey song. And it wound up making the record. So it has some staying power.

Andrew: That's one of my favorite tracks on the album.
Augeri: Yeah, I'm glad. Thank you. It didn't change much from the very first day. So it was a keeper from the beginning. And the Geoff Tate song was spectacular. Stellar. And it was just brilliant. And it didn't make the record and I swore it would. It had a great ethereal, great moody vibe to it. It was very Pink Floydish. It had that dark thing going on. And I hope perhaps a soundtrack. I think it would be definitely suited for a soundtrack or something like that. "Walking Away From the Edge" it's called.

Andrew: I would love to hear some of this stuff.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:18 am

Here is an excerpt of Schon talking about Tate. Another great Wombat interview from the MR vault.

Wombat: Tell me how many people and who you auditioned for the new singer position?
Schon: There were only really 2 that we had checked out.
We had played with Kevin Chalfant a long long time ago, and we kind of felt that since Kevin had done The Storm thing, that it wasn't the right thing to do.
We felt that The Storm was a mini Journey band.

Wombat: Well it was close, with Gregg Rolie and Ross Valory there…
Schon: Yeah, and it had Smith at one point and then he quit. I just felt like I wanted to start on fresh grounds. When we met Steve Augeri, he was from Brooklyn New York, I am from the East Coast, and he is Italian. So now we have three of us in the band which is real great!
He just had the right personality, he looks really good on stage, he has his own little vibe. He is not pretentious, he is not a poser type of singer. He just gets up there and does his thing and he really pulls it off.
He is a super guy. The guy definitely has his feet firmly planted in the ground.
He is a well-rounded person. A very classy individual.

Wombat: John West was also another you looked at….
Schon: John West we tried out. He sounded amazingly like Perry too. We just decided he was not the right guy. Personality wise and I didn't think he fitted as well as Steve did.

Wombat: How many other suggestions did you get?
Schon: We tried out the guy from Queensryche.

Wombat: So you did do that!
Schon: We tried Geoff Tate, yeah. He came out and we actually wrote a pretty cool song with him but he was not the right guy to cover the old material.
When we tried playing the older material it obviously was not the right guy.
But a super nice guy as well.

Wombat: And another rumor…Glenn Hughes...
Schon: Glenn I thought about for a second. And we felt instead of getting a guy that has been around and around forever, we wanted to find somebody that had a fresh face.
The main thing was, when I was in Hardline I was living in LA and we were driving around and the Tall Stories record comes on the radio when they were getting a lot of airplay.
And I felt like this guy really kicks my ass!
It sounds like a rocked out version of Journey. Which is where I wanted to go and I always just remembered that and I said that if it ever gets to putting this band back together and Perry is not involved, I want to call this guy.
This is like 6 years later, and it has come down to that.
I talked to Jonathan and it just so happens that one of my close friends also from Brooklyn NY Joe Cefalu, he had a tape of Steve Augeri with his number because we didn't know where to get hold of him.
So we called him up and he didn't believe that it was me on the phone. He though it was one of his buddies pulling his leg.
I said we really want you to come out here and audition and sing on some of these new songs we have and sing on some old material.
And he said I gotta tell you, I have pretty much retired. I stopped singing 2 years ago because of the state of the music industry.
It is very tough for people. If you don't have a tracks record like Journey, it is hard to make a living by it, very difficult to get going again.
So he was doing other work on the side and he said he hadn't been sung for 2 years, so I just said 'well you better get singing'.
So he sang for three weeks and got his pipes back in order and came out here and floored us all.
And that was that. Very simple, which was even more beautiful about the whole situation. If we had to have looked and looked and looked for a singer I would have said I think I am juts going to start something else.
Because it happened so fast and so naturally, it is meant to be.

Wombat: Did you try a guy by the name of Hugo?
Schon: No. We listened to a tape of his and even remember him being in a band a while back when I was doing the Hardline thing called Valentine.
And I remember seeing him in a video and he looked exactly the like Perry which I thought was really weird.
I said if we are going to get somebody with him looking exactly like Perry, I though that was a little too weird!
And also I just think that Steve Augeri as a singer was a lot more happening.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:38 pm

FamilyMan wrote:On par at the very least. WAFTE overrated, BTW.

With the acoustic guitar driving the verses, it starts off reminding me of Jamie from Tyketto. I would ditch the "na na na" ending, but I do think this is a very good song.

On December 29th, SA tweeted that he had enough tracks for a solo album "....I think I've accumulated a strong 10 or so songs to finally offer a compilation in CD form. Maybe just add a bonus track and we should be good to go. I was hoping with the 1st 3 months of the New Year. Thanks for your interest and Happy NY!"
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby ScarabFan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:25 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

With the acoustic guitar driving the verses, it starts off reminding me of Jamie from Tyketto. I would ditch the "na na na" ending, but I do think this is a very good song.

On December 29th, SA tweeted that he had enough tracks for a solo album "....I think I've accumulated a strong 10 or so songs to finally offer a compilation in CD form. Maybe just add a bonus track and we should be good to go. I was hoping with the 1st 3 months of the New Year. Thanks for your interest and Happy NY!"

Interesting. I'm sure some of us have already put together our own track list of his solo singles. It's silly, but I have always been interested in how album tracks are ordered.
ScarabFan
Ol' 78

Postby hgwy407 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:38 am

For those who would like to have the Augeri songs in a lossless format, Tidal has most, if not all of his solo songs. I'm an admitted FLAC snob, so I like having the option. :wink:
hgwy407
Ol' 78

Postby JourneyHard » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:43 am

ScarabFan wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Interesting. I'm sure some of us have already put together our own track list of his solo singles. It's silly, but I have always been interested in how album tracks are ordered.

I never thought it was important, but recently I have changed my mind completely. The order of the songs is very important. I wrote some Journey-inspired songs and they were all great songs, but the order didn't work. I thought about it and changed the order, and suddenly it works out great.

(Sidebar: If Neal Schon, Steve Perry, and Gregg Rolie form a new Journey band, they need to record my songs. I might have to win Super Mega Lottery and pay them one million dollars each, or five million dollars each to record this album. Even if it is never released, I want a copy.)
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby lparn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:26 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Here is an excerpt of Schon talking about Tate. Another great Wombat interview from the MR vault.

Wombat: Tell me how many people and who you auditioned for the new singer position?
Schon: There were only really 2 that we had checked out.
We had played with Kevin Chalfant a long long time ago, and we kind of felt that since Kevin had done The Storm thing, that it wasn't the right thing to do.
We felt that The Storm was a mini Journey band.

Wombat: Well it was close, with Gregg Rolie and Ross Valory there…
Schon: Yeah, and it had Smith at one point and then he quit. I just felt like I wanted to start on fresh grounds. When we met Steve Augeri, he was from Brooklyn New York, I am from the East Coast, and he is Italian. So now we have three of us in the band which is real great!
He just had the right personality, he looks really good on stage, he has his own little vibe. He is not pretentious, he is not a poser type of singer. He just gets up there and does his thing and he really pulls it off.
He is a super guy. The guy definitely has his feet firmly planted in the ground.
He is a well-rounded person. A very classy individual.

Wombat: John West was also another you looked at….
Schon: John West we tried out. He sounded amazingly like Perry too. We just decided he was not the right guy. Personality wise and I didn't think he fitted as well as Steve did.

Wombat: How many other suggestions did you get?
Schon: We tried out the guy from Queensryche.

Wombat: So you did do that!
Schon: We tried Geoff Tate, yeah. He came out and we actually wrote a pretty cool song with him but he was not the right guy to cover the old material.
When we tried playing the older material it obviously was not the right guy.
But a super nice guy as well.

Wombat: And another rumor…Glenn Hughes...
Schon: Glenn I thought about for a second. And we felt instead of getting a guy that has been around and around forever, we wanted to find somebody that had a fresh face.
The main thing was, when I was in Hardline I was living in LA and we were driving around and the Tall Stories record comes on the radio when they were getting a lot of airplay.
And I felt like this guy really kicks my ass!
It sounds like a rocked out version of Journey. Which is where I wanted to go and I always just remembered that and I said that if it ever gets to putting this band back together and Perry is not involved, I want to call this guy.
This is like 6 years later, and it has come down to that.
I talked to Jonathan and it just so happens that one of my close friends also from Brooklyn NY Joe Cefalu, he had a tape of Steve Augeri with his number because we didn't know where to get hold of him.
So we called him up and he didn't believe that it was me on the phone. He though it was one of his buddies pulling his leg.
I said we really want you to come out here and audition and sing on some of these new songs we have and sing on some old material.
And he said I gotta tell you, I have pretty much retired. I stopped singing 2 years ago because of the state of the music industry.
It is very tough for people. If you don't have a tracks record like Journey, it is hard to make a living by it, very difficult to get going again.
So he was doing other work on the side and he said he hadn't been sung for 2 years, so I just said 'well you better get singing'.
So he sang for three weeks and got his pipes back in order and came out here and floored us all.
And that was that. Very simple, which was even more beautiful about the whole situation. If we had to have looked and looked and looked for a singer I would have said I think I am juts going to start something else.
Because it happened so fast and so naturally, it is meant to be.

Wombat: Did you try a guy by the name of Hugo?
Schon: No. We listened to a tape of his and even remember him being in a band a while back when I was doing the Hardline thing called Valentine.
And I remember seeing him in a video and he looked exactly the like Perry which I thought was really weird.
I said if we are going to get somebody with him looking exactly like Perry, I though that was a little too weird!
And also I just think that Steve Augeri as a singer was a lot more happening.

I recall Reading years ago on the old journey digest mailing list I think that they considered Kelly Hansen as well
Anyone know if that is true
lparn
45 RPM

Postby Arkansas » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:10 am

Eric wrote:If that wasn't Augeri I would have turned that off rather quickly.

+1
Seems like about half a dozen diff songs all pieced together.

later~
Arkansas
Stereo LP

Postby Greg » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:25 am

I have quite enjoyed the other Augeri songs, but this one wasn't quite up to par with the others. But, it may be one of those songs that you just have to listen to a few times to really get it.
Greg
Cassette Tape

Return to Journey