TBF PROMO

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

TBF PROMO

Postby tj » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:13 pm

I stumbled across this again tonight for the first time in a long time. A couple of things stood out
1) Perry talks about the tour possibility and so it seems that the hip issue wasn't a problem yet. The timing of this, though, seems to be after the WYLAW video was done. Perry years later said that he was in severe pain during the video filming. I didn't see any signs of that here.
2) Smith talks at about the 2:40 mark or so about Jon being the guy who takes the music and molds it into a final vision. That tracks with much of what Jon has said himself in interviews lately.

Regardless, it's hard to believe that it has been more than 20 years since this was recorded.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XKoZWepFHY4
tj
Cassette Tape

Re: TBF PROMO

Postby Tomulator » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:42 am

As much as I love Perry’s vocals, I think it’s pretty clear that it wasn’t a “hip issue” at all that kept him from touring to support TBF...it was the limitations of his vocal range. He knew that he couldn’t sing the “hits” anymore.

Sad.
"I was merely probing the patient for muscle tone and skeletal girth. We mock what we don't understand."
Tomulator
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:55 am

Tomulator wrote:As much as I love Perry’s vocals, I think it’s pretty clear that it wasn’t a “hip issue” at all that kept him from touring to support TBF...it was the limitations of his vocal range. He knew that he couldn’t sing the “hits” anymore.

Sad.

Yeah. I'm not saying this to rip on Perry in anyway, but I've never believed the "hip issue" claim. I even have some doubts about Perry's anger about the band moving on without him. I would not be surprised if the band and Perry agreed to have a fake dispute over the touring/surgery and eventually a new singer (Steve Augeri) being hired.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby FamilyMan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:06 am

It's always fascinated me how this reunion - orchestrated by Azoff - seemingly never had cemented a tour component as a prerequisite. Journey then, just as it is now, was a touring band first and foremost. So SP's comment, "We've been talking about touring" is so interesting. It wasn't a basic part of the deal? From a management standpoint, who would have taken on Journey without a commitment for a massive World Tour? They couldn't have expected a studio record - 10 years removed from their breakup - to sell as well as it ultimately did....especially as the record labels were on the brink of collapse.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby RPM » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:57 am

Tomulator wrote:As much as I love Perry’s vocals, I think it’s pretty clear that it wasn’t a “hip issue” at all that kept him from touring to support TBF...it was the limitations of his vocal range. He knew that he couldn’t sing the “hits” anymore.

Sad.

Bingo. That’s exactly what it was and always has been since.
"Remember Suzanne, those summer nights, those summer nights with me"
RPM
8 Track

Postby carleysdad » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:48 am

Perry "There's a good possibility that we will be touring to support this album."

Yeah Steve, just like there's a good possibility that you (after 20 years of promises) will put out a new solo album.

Whatever.
carleysdad
Ol' 78

Postby slucero » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:01 pm

hmm.. not sure that's a valid argument.

TBF was certified platinum (1 Million) on December 20, 1996... so it isn't like it didn't sell.

Back then the Journey was already paying their for their own tours, and taking all the merch sales... so the label likely didn't care, they were already getting paid via album sales.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Return to Journey