Journey Guitarist Neal Schon Plots Benefit Concert Amid Band

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Journey Guitarist Neal Schon Plots Benefit Concert Amid Band

Postby tater1977 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:52 am

Journey Guitarist Neal Schon Plots Benefit Concert Amid Band Tension

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees look ahead to 2018 shows despite social media spats

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/feat ... rt-w514280

It's been a year of extreme ups and downs for Journey. Last April, the group was triumphantly inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, featuring their first onstage appearance with Steve Perry in over a quarter century. Journey also headlined a successful arena tour and performed at Classic East and Classic West alongside Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles.

But behind the scenes, the group was melting down. Tension between guitarist Neal Schon and keyboardist Jonathan Cain aired on social media last summer. The trouble appeared to stem from Cain publicizing his Born Again Christian beliefs and members of Journey visiting the White House in July, where they were photographed with President Drumpf. (Cain's wife, Paula White, delivered the invocation at Drumpf's presidential inauguration.)

Schon, a founding member of Journey, was notably absent. "I was not informed by anyone about the White House visit," Schon tells Rolling Stone in a brief interview. "They have said many times that I wasn't invited. That being said, I wouldn't have wanted to be. We've up to that point never been involved with anything political or anything evangelical or any one religion. Being the founding member ... I felt I should have been informed as they went as Journey, not individually."

Schon was also upset that Cain is uninterested in recording new Journey music. "Jonathan apparently is telling people that we are not getting along because of creative differences," Schon tweeted on June 7th. "Not so. We haven't been creative." Later, he alleged that the band might somehow go on the road without him. "How would you feel if u found out that the rest of the band wanted to tour without me?" he wrote. But Schon also seemed to be ready to end the Journey tour. "Only 2 more shows D.C. And NYC," he tweeted on July 27th. "Then I will fix this all."

But Schon's conflicted reports masked a major medical condition he was quietly facing on the road. "I was diagnosed with a serious case of double pneumonia in Washington, D.C., in the middle of the tour," he told Rolling Stone. "I continued touring against doctors' advice for everyone's sake including the other bands that were touring with us at the time."

After a small reprieve, Schon will return to the stage on February 9th, for a special show with original Journey singer/keyboardist Gregg Rolie and former Journey drummer Deen Castronovo. The concert will benefit North Bay Fire Relief. Schon says the show will spotlight three songs from Journey's first three albums along with selections from their latter work. He also just released a four-track EP that features instrumental rendition of "Ava Maria" and "Can't Help Falling in Love" along with the Journey hits "Faithfully" and "Open Arms."

What will the rest of 2018 hold for Journey? Schon wants to get back on the road. There are already strong indications that a co-headlining tour with Def Leppard will be announced.

"I'm ready," Schon says. "I'm just waiting to hear the word from management." The turmoil of this year coupled with his decision to play the North Bay Fire Relief show without any members of the current Journey might suggest that changes to the band are imminent. But Schon says the lineup won't change.

Schon was more evasive when asked who controlled the band name and whether he had the legal authority to dump Cain and continue on as Journey. "I am not worried about it," he said. "I think my fans know who I am." :P
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: Journey Guitarist Neal Schon Plots Benefit Concert Amid

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:18 am

There's already a thread ("Schon Rolling Stone Interview") posted about this. Not much to the interview.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby steveo777 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:53 am

We still don't know whether or not there is a Journey in its present form for 2018. I guess we'll find out if and when tour dates start being posted.
steveo777
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:45 pm

steveo777 wrote:We still don't know whether or not there is a Journey in its present form for 2018. I guess we'll find out if and when tour dates start being posted.

Steve Toomey, Journey drum tech, tweeted: "No, I’ll be out with Steve Smith on the Journey tour this year."

As others have said, too much money on the table. I assume the current Arnel lineup will go out on the road and continue to play the dozen on autopilot. Hardcore fans can only hope that Neal records with the Journey Through Time spinoff. Jon's bible-thumping insanity has left Neal no choice but to fracture the stone.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby scarab » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:32 am

did journey always open in 2006? even though i assume they played the same length.
If so i wonder with their increased popularity they will alternate.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:04 am

scarab wrote:did journey always open in 2006? even though i assume they played the same length.

From what I remember, yes.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby fightingilliniJRNY » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:35 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
scarab wrote:did journey always open in 2006? even though i assume they played the same length.

From what I remember, yes.

Yes, Journey always opened, but they played the same length. However... this was the tour Journey used what seemed to be Windows 95 screensavers on the videoboard behind the band, and Neal and Jonathan began the concert by walking out, waving to the crowd (yes, just walking out and waving), and starting the SSB. Def Leppard had a structure behind the drums they could climb up, pyro, etc. So... it wasn't much of a co-headlining tour from that standpoint.
fightingilliniJRNY
Cassette Tape

Postby lparn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:26 am

I think def leppard would be much better off touring with Poison or someone like that again
That would have much more interest than the same set list :roll: on autopilot
Would love to see def Leppard again
lparn
45 RPM

Postby JourneyHard » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:26 am

Casual fans want to hear dirty dozen. Real fans want to hear deep cuts. The only solution is Journey touring without any other band. Are they afraid nobody would show up if it was only Journey?
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:36 am

JourneyHard wrote:Casual fans want to hear dirty dozen. Real fans want to hear deep cuts. The only solution is Journey touring without any other band. Are they afraid nobody would show up if it was only Journey?

They used to do "Evening With" shows. Every SA show I saw was w/out anyone else on the bill. SA also had double and triple bill shows. But they do it more in the AP era.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby scarab » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:46 am

The first concert I saw in 1998? was no opener. small arena maybe 2500. Played a lot of TBF material.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:53 am

scarab wrote:The first concert I saw in 1998? was no opener. small arena maybe 2500. Played a lot of TBF material.

Yes. That was cool. It was exciting because you never knew what song they would do next. This is exactly what I am talking about.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby perryfan61 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:41 am

JourneyHard wrote:Casual fans want to hear dirty dozen. Real fans want to hear deep cuts. The only solution is Journey touring without any other band. Are they afraid nobody would show up if it was only Journey?

The tour in Canada a couple of years ago was with no other band...if you don't count Vortex. They sold out quite a few shows, and the rest were almost there. I'm sure people would rather have a mix of DD and deep cuts, even if some used the deep cuts for a beer run..lol.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby lparn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:27 am

I loved the set list from live in Manila
Wish they would play a show like that again
They sold out at the arena here with just them when Steve augeri was in the band
Not sure if they would now
Maybe of they capitalize on the rnrhof and do a longer more diverse set
lparn
45 RPM

Postby tater1977 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:05 am

Interview: Dead Daisies bassist, Marco Mendoza discusses his new solo album, ‘Viva La Rock’

By: James Wood AXS Contributor Jan 4, 2018

https://www.axs.com/interview-dead-dais ... -al-126935

It’s been nearly eight years since The Dead Daisies bassist, Marco Mendoza released a solo album, but with the pending release of his monstrous ‘Viva La Rock’ [produced by Soren Anderson], Mendoza’s proves that the wait was worth it.

For Mendoza, whose resume also includes stints with such legendary bands as Thin Lizzy and Whitesnake as well as work with artists like Ted Nugent and Neal Schon, ‘Viva La Rock’ is a groove-fueled celebration of life and love as well as a tip of the hat to his musical past.

Songs like the album’s title track, a catchphrase Mendoza’s used for years, are rollercoaster rides of musical emotion, while songs like the power-ballad, “Leah” speak to the love he has for his wife and soul mate. Mendoza even includes his spin on a few cover songs, notably the Thin Lizzy classic, “Chinatown”, which features guest vocals from Mike Tramp [White Lion, Freak of Nature] and guitarist Richard Fortus [Guns N’ Roses].

AXS recently spoke with Marco Mendoza about ‘Viva La Rock’ [which will be released on March 2], The Dead Daisies and more in this exclusive new interview.

AXS: It’s been eight years since your last solo release. How did this new album, ‘Viva La Rock’ come about?

Marco Mendoza: My whole journey and career have been busy, but these last ten years have really been over the top, and I love it. But I’m always writing and there’s always a drawer full of ideas. I had just finished up with The Dead Daisies and found a window of about fourteen days. So, I flew to Denmark and got into the studio with my good friend, Soren Anderson. The time and energy was right. It was fast and a lot of fun.

AXS: How does this album compare to some of your previous work?

MM: I think this album is a little more focused. We really dug deep with the ideas and songs. It’s classic rock and roll. Catchy songs with good hooks and melodies and relevant lyrical content.

AXS: Let’s discuss a few songs from ‘Viva La Rock’ beginning with the title track. What can you tell me about it?

MM: The creative process is to follow the vibe, and “Viva La Rock” was the first song that we wrote. It’s a catchphrase that I’ve been using for years that’s become part of my vocabulary. I remember going in and grabbing the guitar. Soren followed along and within the hour we had the song. The lyrics also came quickly. When you do something for so long it's all instinct. You just open the flood doors and it starts happening.

AXS: “Chinatown” (featuring Mike Tramp and Richard Fortus).

MM: I've known Mike and Rich for quite a while. Mike actually lives in Denmark. Everyone in Scandinavia are huge Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzy fans and everyone in the business was either influenced or inspired by them. “Chinatown”, along with a few other songs, have been part of my set list for a long time. They’re also part of my history. I decided to do “Chinatown” because it’s a little obscure and could shed light for the new generation on what Thin Lizzy was all about. If they like it hopefully they’ll dig a little deeper, because it only touches the surface. It's my way of saying thank you to Thin Lizzy and celebrating the legendary status of one of the greatest bands.

AXS: “Leah”.

MM: I'm a softie at heart and love ballads. I have a wonderful and amazing wife and the two of us recently celebrated sixteen years of marriage. My lifestyle is hard because of all of my traveling and I was really missing her. It’s about showing love and respect to someone you care about, and what better way to do that than through a song? This was my way of saying from the heart the love I have for my wife.

AXS: Can you give me an update on The Dead Daisies?

MM: We have a new album that’s coming out in April. It's an amazing album that I think is really going to turn some heads. We brought Deen Castronovo into the fold on drums and it’s fantastic. He's an amazing singer and drummer. Then we have Doug Aldrich [guitar], who I worked with in Whitesnake and have done a lot of session work with. David Lowry [guitar] is the founder and mastermind of the band and we have John Corabi, who’s a great singer/songwriter as frontman. It's been a blast for me.

AXS: What can you tell me about your upcoming benefit show with Neal Schon (Journey) on February 9th?

MM: I've worked with Neal a lot. We have a great friendship and musical connection. We talk often and he always keeps me in the loop. He told me he had some time off and asked if I’d be interested in doing a benefit to help the folks who were victims of the recent fires here in California and to bring some focus into what's going on. I immediately said yes. So, we'll be getting together with Deen and Gregg Rolie. They put the tickets out for sale and they sold out quickly. There’s even talk about adding another show. I’m excited and looking forward to it.

AXS: As an artist, what satisfies you the most?

MM: The ultimate test is to get out there with the songs. There’s nothing greater than seeing fans going bananas over your songs and singing the lyrics. I can't put it into words. That high and the feeling that you get in return is the gratification and reward. When you're up on stage, you're not thinking about anything else. You're in the moment. It's the gasoline that keeps you going.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:16 am

Still no tour dates put up. Still no word from management so says Neal and Jon. Lack of enthusiasm from management and/promoters regarding tour? Aren't contracts signed way in advance?
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby WalrusOct9 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:31 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:They used to do "Evening With" shows. Every SA show I saw was w/out anyone else on the bill. SA also had double and triple bill shows. But they do it more in the AP era.

It's not just Journey, though. The industry seems addicted to these package tours, and it's kind of a bummer. Like, Cheap Trick hasn't played Nashville on their own headlining gig in...9 years? It's a bummer, and I usually just stay home.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby chynablue » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:48 pm

bellairepark73 wrote:Still no tour dates put up. Still no word from management so says Neal and Jon. Lack of enthusiasm from management and/promoters regarding tour? Aren't contracts signed way in advance?

" In an interview with the Rock Titan web site conducted this past week, DEF LEPPARD drummer Rick Allen shot down speculation about a 2018 tour with JOURNEY, saying (see video below): "I don't think that tour is gonna happen. It's something that's been talked about, but I'm not sure anything has ever really been finalized. But I hope that, you know, we'll get to hear something in the not-too-distant future."

https://youtu.be/v-lx1oePfvE?t=294
chynablue
45 RPM

Postby scarab » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:24 am

chynablue wrote:
bellairepark73 wrote:Still no tour dates put up. Still no word from management so says Neal and Jon. Lack of enthusiasm from management and/promoters regarding tour? Aren't contracts signed way in advance?

" In an interview with the Rock Titan web site conducted this past week, DEF LEPPARD drummer Rick Allen shot down speculation about a 2018 tour with JOURNEY, saying (see video below): "I don't think that tour is gonna happen. It's something that's been talked about, but I'm not sure anything has ever really been finalized. But I hope that, you know, we'll get to hear something in the not-too-distant future."

https://youtu.be/v-lx1oePfvE?t=294

Odd, first he says the tour probably wont happen then he says it has not been finalized?
Then he says we will hear soon?
But maybe he is the "mushroom" in the band, kept in the dark. :lol:
Steve Smith said it's gonna start in May? Neal says they are working out the details...
Either way Leppard will sell out arenas with or without Journey and they will make much more $.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:56 am

scarab wrote:Either way Leppard will sell out arenas with or without Journey and they will make much more $.

The year before that last Def Leppard/Journey tour, Journey were selling out a twenty thousand seat venue in Cleveland while Def Leppard were only playing a two thousand seat venue in Cleveland.

I would much prefer that the Def Leppard/Journey tour not happen this summer. I'm sick of these package shows where Journey only play hour and a half shows or less.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Return to Journey