Page 1 of 1

Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:08 am
by tater1977
SiriusXM Radio was live — with Journey and 2 others.

Attention Def Leppard & Journey Fans! Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk to answer all your questions about their bands' upcoming joint tour!

https://www.facebook.com/siriusxm/video ... 730690929/

Re: Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:45 am
by tater1977
So Augeri looses his voice on the 2006 tour and you ask JSS to step in.
He does. You finish the tour with Jeff and Neal wanted to check it out
even further and after the tour. They went into the studio and tried
writing a couple tunes and putting Jeff on it and when they listened back,
NS 'honestly, I didn't feel like it sounded remotely anything like the band' .
:roll:
I thought around this time, is when NS was wanting to rock more :?:

Re: Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:04 pm
by The_Noble_Cause
tater1977 wrote:So Augeri looses his voice on the 2006 tour and you ask JSS to step in.
He does. You finish the tour with Jeff and Neal wanted to check it out
even further and after the tour. They went into the studio and tried
writing a couple tunes and putting Jeff on it and when they listened back,
NS 'honestly, I didn't feel like it sounded remotely anything like the band' .
:roll:
I thought around this time, is when NS was wanting to rock more :?:


Makes no sense. Schon already recorded with Soto and praised his Perryisms on tracks like Coming Home, Believe in Me, etc. Schon is just lying again.

Re: Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:24 pm
by JourneyHard
The_Noble_Cause wrote:
tater1977 wrote:So Augeri looses his voice on the 2006 tour and you ask JSS to step in.
He does. You finish the tour with Jeff and Neal wanted to check it out
even further and after the tour. They went into the studio and tried
writing a couple tunes and putting Jeff on it and when they listened back,
NS 'honestly, I didn't feel like it sounded remotely anything like the band' .
:roll:
I thought around this time, is when NS was wanting to rock more :?:


Makes no sense. Schon already recorded with Soto and praised his Perryisms on tracks like Coming Home, Believe in Me, etc. Schon is just lying again.


I still believe Jon didn't like Soto, and Jon found Arnel. But Neal is the cover. Neal says he didn't like Soto and that he found Arnel. This makes Neal the hero, but Jon is happy being in the background running things.

Re: Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:33 pm
by tater1977
- Schon said there was some infighting within the band about
who wanted who.

- Loved Jeff's tweet on twitter afterward, re/ Neal's comments about him. :lol:

Re: Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:00 pm
by The_Noble_Cause
Jeff's post on FB regarding Schon's comments is a must-read -

Yes everyone...I did catch the portion on Eddie Trunk's show today where my name came up in conversation with Neal Schon & Joe Elliott, I was at the gym and tuned in to watch. You can see it on Eddie Trunk’s FB page, about 7min in.

Now to set whatever record straight, since I still have no knowledge or clue what the truth is, we did NOT go into any studio to record a couple of songs…we did ONE song together, my vocals I did at home, a song written by Jonathan for a corporate event we were booked for, a song about the early years of America called ‘Winds Of Freedom’.

It was not meant to be a Journey song for future release, it was something written specifically for this show and it certainly did NOT show me at my best both creatively or vocally. However, my voice is NOT the problem as no one in the band really liked it either, I just did my best to take the lyrics and melodies presented to me and turn it into something that worked.

God Bless ya Joe for your kind words and years of friendship…but the mystery lingers as I set yet another misconception to my dismissal from ‘Steve Perry’s old band’!

Re: Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:54 am
by Lora
The_Noble_Cause wrote:Jeff's post on FB regarding Schon's comments is a must-read -

Yes everyone...I did catch the portion on Eddie Trunk's show today where my name came up in conversation with Neal Schon & Joe Elliott, I was at the gym and tuned in to watch. You can see it on Eddie Trunk’s FB page, about 7min in.

Now to set whatever record straight, since I still have no knowledge or clue what the truth is, we did NOT go into any studio to record a couple of songs…we did ONE song together, my vocals I did at home, a song written by Jonathan for a corporate event we were booked for, a song about the early years of America called ‘Winds Of Freedom’.

It was not meant to be a Journey song for future release, it was something written specifically for this show and it certainly did NOT show me at my best both creatively or vocally. However, my voice is NOT the problem as no one in the band really liked it either, I just did my best to take the lyrics and melodies presented to me and turn it into something that worked.

God Bless ya Joe for your kind words and years of friendship…but the mystery lingers as I set yet another misconception to my dismissal from ‘Steve Perry’s old band’!


I remember this show and that song quite well as Cyndy and I were there. It was a corporate show at a polo match in Virginia. When we got to SFO, we found that we were on the same flight as the band. While waiting to board the flight, Jon & Ross said hi and then took seats in separate corners of the lounge. Neal was sitting there noodling on his guitar so we hung out with him for awhile. He was friendly, as he has always been to us. But Jeff was not there. We asked Deen, "Where's Jeff?" and he stammered out an answer about Jeff being on another flight. He was nervous and wouldn't look us in the eye. We thought that strange.

It was an outdoor gig so the sound wasn't great. Jeff was awesome, though. "Winds Of Freedom" was a terrible song and no one could have saved it (sorry, Jonathan). Even though we froze our asses off, it was a fun show. I always suspected that the band had already made the decision to replace Jeff then, but I don't think he knew at that time. Here we are with the lovely Jen Saul & Deb Setliff.

Image

Re: Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:14 am
by perryfan61
Sounds like the band was pretty well fractured even then. I am amazed that they have stayed together, but I guess money is a great motivator.

Always great to have your inside info.

Re: Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:02 pm
by tater1977
- it's on You Tube now

Def Leppard's Joe Elliott & Journey's Neal Schon LIVE on Trunk Nation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV9CSd4uSqU

Re: Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:07 pm
by JourneyHard
I think Jon is running Journey. If Neal was running Journey, they would have had a new album in 2014 and another new album in 2017. But Jon doesn't want any new music.

Re: Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:39 am
by FamilyMan
Winds of Freedom gets a bad rap. Lyrics weren't great but I thought the melody was classic Journey.

Re: Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:54 am
by tater1977
tater1977 wrote:- it's on You Tube now

Def Leppard's Joe Elliott & Journey's Neal Schon LIVE on Trunk Nation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV9CSd4uSqU


https://dve.iheart.com/content/2018-01- ... bandmates/

... The guitarist was furious over a public White House visit Cain, bassist Ross Valory and singer Arnel Pineda made last summer, and he let the world know about via his social media accounts.

Schon said the visit was an underhanded attempt by Cain at endorsing the Trump Administration in the name of Journey. He added that Journey was invited to the White House more than once during the Obama years and always declined for fear of appearing to make a political endorsement.

Schon launched several tirades against Cain via social media last summer during Journey's tour with Asia. He accused Cain of everything from trying to discredit his songwriting contributions to trying to polarize the Journey fan base ...

- yes sounds like a fun time will be had by all on this tour - :|

Re: Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:02 am
by marco17
I don't think the answers they are going to give re: JSS are ever going to satisfy anyone, most certainly including Jeff. If it hadn't been Eddie Trunk, I doubt the entire probing question about who the J singer at the time they last toured was would even have been brought up. If nothing else, it forced Neal to mention SA and JSS in conversation, and both conveniently get forgotten a lot of the time.

Re: Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:46 am
by The_Noble_Cause
marco17 wrote: If nothing else, it forced Neal to mention SA and JSS in conversation, and both conveniently get forgotten a lot of the time.


Good point.

Re: Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:46 am
by The_Noble_Cause
FamilyMan wrote:Winds of Freedom gets a bad rap. Lyrics weren't great but I thought the melody was classic Journey.



I think it's fine. Cain without a co-writer ends up heavy handed anyway.

Re: Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:39 am
by Greg
I watched a portion of the Eddie Trunk interview - the portion about JSS. I thought it was strange of what Neal said. Not only had he worked with Jeff from Soul Sirkus and put out very "Journeyish" sounding music, but the band announced Jeff as the new lead singer for awhile. If you were undecided about a singer, why would you make him an official part of the band? I remember Jeff's face being up there on the site with the rest of the band as if he was a part of the band, not just some traveling musician. A lot of half truths come out of that camp.

Re: Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:46 am
by NoMoreTails
Greg wrote:I watched a portion of the Eddie Trunk interview - the portion about JSS. I thought it was strange of what Neal said. Not only had he worked with Jeff from Soul Sirkus and put out very "Journeyish" sounding music, but the band announced Jeff as the new lead singer for awhile. If you were undecided about a singer, why would you make him an official part of the band? I remember Jeff's face being up there on the site with the rest of the band as if he was a part of the band, not just some traveling musician. A lot of half truths come out of that camp.


I always wondered if being named "permanent" was a stipulation of his agreeing to do the tour. It doesn't seem like JSS would make that demand, but why else make that official when obviously not everyone was in agreement? He could have made that demand and they agreed to it, knowing they'd let him go later.

Re: Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:15 am
by The_Noble_Cause
NoMoreTails wrote:I always wondered if being named "permanent" was a stipulation of his agreeing to do the tour. It doesn't seem like JSS would make that demand, but why else make that official when obviously not everyone was in agreement? He could have made that demand and they agreed to it, knowing they'd let him go later.


JSS is not some primadonna making outlandish demands. Not buying this theory for a second.

Re: Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:49 am
by RPM
The_Noble_Cause wrote:
NoMoreTails wrote:I always wondered if being named "permanent" was a stipulation of his agreeing to do the tour. It doesn't seem like JSS would make that demand, but why else make that official when obviously not everyone was in agreement? He could have made that demand and they agreed to it, knowing they'd let him go later.


JSS is not some primadonna making outlandish demands. Not buying this theory for a second.


Jeff is a class act. But this was about the legacy sound and for that they made the right choice to move on.
I would have loved to have heard a new album with Jeff I think it would have been great as he could
Have pushed them forward, all they want to do is look back and D.D. $$. Shame.

Re: Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:40 am
by NoMoreTails
The_Noble_Cause wrote:JSS is not some primadonna making outlandish demands. Not buying this theory for a second.


I don't think of JSS as a primadonna or demanding either, its just something that came to mind in wondering why they made him permanent. I think it would have been a shrewd negotiating chip. I assume he has never done that number of dates and certainly not singing that catalog, I wouldn't blame him if he'd wanted some sort of guarantee when we was putting his career (voice) on the line. if such a demand had been made, I wouldn't be surprised if Neal had suggested it as they were very close then and it seemed like Neal was glad to have him in Journey until the Walmart deal came along.

Re: Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:16 am
by The_Noble_Cause
NoMoreTails wrote:...and it seemed like Neal was glad to have him in Journey until the Walmart deal came along.



Walmart deal was discussed when Jeff was in band. JSS mentioned rerecording the hits on this very forum.

Re: Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:10 am
by bellairepark73
The_Noble_Cause wrote:Jeff's post on FB regarding Schon's comments is a must-read -

Yes everyone...I did catch the portion on Eddie Trunk's show today where my name came up in conversation with Neal Schon & Joe Elliott, I was at the gym and tuned in to watch. You can see it on Eddie Trunk’s FB page, about 7min in.

Now to set whatever record straight, since I still have no knowledge or clue what the truth is, we did NOT go into any studio to record a couple of songs…we did ONE song together, my vocals I did at home, a song written by Jonathan for a corporate event we were booked for, a song about the early years of America called ‘Winds Of Freedom’.

It was not meant to be a Journey song for future release, it was something written specifically for this show and it certainly did NOT show me at my best both creatively or vocally. However, my voice is NOT the problem as no one in the band really liked it either, I just did my best to take the lyrics and melodies presented to me and turn it into something that worked.

God Bless ya Joe for your kind words and years of friendship…but the mystery lingers as I set yet another misconception to my dismissal from ‘Steve Perry’s old band’!


That LAST sentence...seals it for me..."Steve Perry's old band"! Steve Perry's old band indeed. Its who they (meaning Jon mostly) look to when wanting the "Legacy" sound (vocally and lyrically) and what Neal hears (mostly his voice) when Neal plays. Yep...heart and soul...soul and heart...Jeff nailed it. Sorry Neal.

Re: Joe Elliott and Neal Schon are LIVE with Eddie Trunk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:13 am
by bellairepark73
I even remember when Deen was gushing to Jeff about his (Jeff's) vocals on Twitter...Jeff set him STRAIGHT about who they both learned it from: Steve "the VOICE" Perry. And Deen did some serious back pedaling.