Journey's Neal Schon Talks Stadium Shows, Tour With Def Lepp

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Journey's Neal Schon Talks Stadium Shows, Tour With Def Lepp

Postby tater1977 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:07 pm

Journey's Neal Schon Talks Stadium Shows, Tour With Def Leppard & Getting Past Band's Trump Drama

https://www.billboard.com/articles/colu ... -interview

1/22/2018 by Dave Brooks

The guitarist says he wants to collaborate with Steve Perry and has moved past his feud with keyboardist Jonathan Cain over Donald Trump.

Journey is hitting the road this May for a 58-city co-headlining North American tour with Def Leppard, mixing arena dates with big stadium shows at iconic ballparks like Rogers Centre in Toronto, Wrigley Field in Chicago and Fenway Park in Boston. The two bands are coming back together after their 2006 co-headlining tours of amphitheaters, evenly dividing which band gets the shows' closing slots.

Journey is getting back to work after a tumultuous break following the huge Classic West and East dates at Dodgers Stadium in Los Angeles and Citi Field in New York that saw band feuding over a White House selfie.

“How do we get past it? We just don’t talk about it,” says Journey guitarist Neal Schon, laughing about his social media feud with keyboardist Jonathan Cain over the influence of politics and religion on the band.

“What can you say other than let the music do the talking,” he said about his feud with Cain after a picture surfaced this summer with President Donald Trump alongside singer Arnel Pineda and bassist Ross Valory. Cain’s wife Paula White is a Pentecostal televangelist and spiritual advisor to Trump and Schon said the band had agreed not to do the visit, writing on social media after the photo surfaced "Journey should never be used and exploited by anyone, especially band members for politics or any one religion.”

For most Journey fans, the hubbub was just one more disagreement in the band’s rocky 45-year history, punctuated by the exit of singer Steve Perry from the band, once in the 1980s and again in 1998. Schon and Perry were reunited in 2017 at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

Billboard caught up with Schon recently to discuss the Hall of Fame reunion and how the stadium rocker likes to sound at music’s biggest venues. These are edited excerpts from the conversation. 

After you saw Steve Perry at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony this year, you said you were interested in collaborating again. What did you have in mind?

I was very moved seeing Perry there because he was very moved by seeing me. The first thing he did on stage was give me such a great compliment and I felt the same about him. We had amazing chemistry as two musicians together. It brought me back to a lot of their early days with him where we really had a lot of fun: We were young, we were having a great time experiencing success like we've never had before and making great music. I knew that there was still chemistry there and that we cared a lot about each other and I can foresee something in the future.

How did the idea for the tour with Def Leppard come together?

I guess you can say we have a long relationship but we haven't talked to each other in that many years. It was brought about by management and I loved the idea. We toured together 12 years ago and it will be great again, if not better this time. These are huge shows, we’re both stadium bands and I think it's a great match and we know that it works.

Is it challenging to get the sound you want in baseball stadiums?

As a guitarist, you have to imagine what you think sounds good in a big place like that. Sound only carries so far before it dies unless you're at 120db or louder. If it’s not hung high enough it's going to bounce around all those seats and on stage. It can be really touchy when it's not your system and you have to walk into it. Your sound guy has to ring it out and make it sound the way he wants.

What sound are you aspiring too for these big stadium shows?

We like to sound like a giant jukebox -- that's the easiest way I can say it. A great old jukebox has all this really rich bottom end for the bass and drums. Then you got guitars in the middle slot and keys above that. And a voice is put on top of everything, but you have all these different frequencies and if you don't have them with the right sounds you're going to be missing a lot of those low mids. You don't want really shrill highs in rock n' roll. Especially with louder instruments like my guitar. I liked to come from the warmer side. You have to listen how it sounds organically on stage and then put your ears in and adjust
Were you happy with how you sounded at Classic West?

My guitar rig was made for that size venue. And especially for outside. I thought that the gig was good. We had a hard time hearing on stage, I remember that. And then from just sound bites that I heard that other people had posted, I wasn’t hearing much drums. I don't really know if it was just where the person was sitting. They could have been sitting off to the side. You can't judge from a little iPhone.

How did you feel about playing a classic rock festival?

Journey is classic rock. So is Fleetwood Mac and so are the Eagles. So I think that's a no brainer. And I liked the idea. I suggested it to Irving [Azoff] a long time ago because I wanted to play bigger places and I believe that's where the band lives.

Almost all stadium shows now utilize huge video LED boards for concerts. Do you think they enhance or distract from the concert experience?

For the most part, I prefer to have art work that moves with the music or just bright colors changing the backdrop, so the energy is still in the center of the stage and you're looking at the band, I find that when they do too many individual shots on big screens, it alienates everyone and is not necessarily portraying the band properly. I would put more money into sound and lights and not worry so much about screens. But we’re going to have all of it for this tour and I have talked to our lighting designer and told them that I feel the screens are a little bit overdone. Less is probably more for me at this point. Otherwise everybody wants equal screen time and you're all fighting about that. I think it's really stupid. I'd like to go back to the days where we didn't have them. 

You have a manager, Irving Azoff, who is phenomenon in his own right in the music business. Between you and him, who manages who?

Irving and I go back quite a ways. He's helped me in some hard times that I really appreciated. I've always looked up to him and Irving is a funny guy. I know who he is and he knows who I am. We go around sometimes but we seem to come together. But there’s not doubt that he’s very powerful in the industry. But he knows that I’m smart as hell and I’m watching everything [laughs]. I know he doesn’t like it but I'm at that age right now where I'm allowed to do that.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: Journey's Neal Schon Talks Stadium Shows, Tour With Def

Postby Rick » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:23 am

I'm priced out of this show.
Tickets start at $141.00

I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby Lora » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:06 am

Rick wrote:I'm priced out of this show.
Tickets start at $141.00

This is a ticket broker site so these prices are inflated. The public on sale date isn't until Feb 3. Has anyone seen prices posted on TM or LN yet?
Lora
8 Track

Postby Rick » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:18 am

Lora wrote:
Rick wrote:I'm priced out of this show.
Tickets start at $141.00

This is a ticket broker site so these prices are inflated. The public on sale date isn't until Feb 3. Has anyone seen prices posted on TM or LN yet?

That's good to know. Ticket Master lists the tour but says It's in the works, check back. They list it under Live Nation.
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby perryfan61 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:30 am

I would pay that price for both bands, and maybe a bit more for closer seats. There's time to start saving up.....but adding travel and hotels and meals to the cost, it would be pricey for sure. Just depends how much you want to see them, I guess.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:57 pm

neal schon - on his Instagram -

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeUGVOOhZt7/

Photo shoot and interview for Associated Press with Joe Elliot @defleppard and my lovely LadyM @nealandmichaeleschon @nealschon @journeymusicofficial Journey &Def Leppard comin to Rock your this summer! 58 gigs but believe it will be 75-80
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby steveo777 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:11 pm

tater1977 wrote:neal schon - on his Instagram -

Photo shoot and interview for Associated Press with Joe Elliot @defleppard and my lovely LadyM @nealandmichaeleschon @nealschon @journeymusicofficial Journey &Def Leppard comin to Rock your this summer! 58 gigs but believe it will be 75-80

75-80?

They're gonna kill Arnel. :shock:
steveo777
MP3

Postby Pacfanweb » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:09 am

steveo777 wrote:

75-80?

Joe Elliott says "No prob. Roll the vocal track"
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:31 pm

steveo777 wrote:

75-80?

When Arnel's voice goes, Steve Perry can finish the tour! It sucks to be the cities on the first half of those tour dates! :D
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:45 pm

JourneyHard wrote:When Arnel's voice goes, Steve Perry can finish the tour! It sucks to be the cities on the first half of those tour dates! :D

Don't forget they have Travis!
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby perryfan61 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:52 am

I see Neal still hasn't learned, or just doesn't care, that singers can't make it through a tour like this. Especially when they are not in their prime anymore.
I feel sorry for Arnel this year. :cry: :cry:
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby scarab » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:29 am

at least they gave Arnel almost a year off. Something they never did for Augeri or Perry the first 8 years.
Pretty sure they will go the Elliot way and have extensive vocal tracks taped.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby FamilyMan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:41 am

scarab wrote:at least they gave Arnel almost a year off. Something they never did for Augeri or Perry the first 8 years.
Pretty sure they will go the Elliot way and have extensive vocal tracks taped.

Except - Arnel chose not to take the time off. He did solo dates. Worried about that boy...
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby Monker » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:50 am

perryfan61 wrote:I would pay that price for both bands, and maybe a bit more for closer seats. There's time to start saving up.....but adding travel and hotels and meals to the cost, it would be pricey for sure. Just depends how much you want to see them, I guess.

I looked up on Ticketmaster for Wells Fargo Arena here in Des Moines. The price is $180 for the first tier of the stadium. The floor looks to be reserved.

That is way, way, way too much for an OK seat. No way will I pay that much.

But, I'm sure they will sell out, or very close to it.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby tater1977 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:05 pm

See http://www.journeymusic.com/pages/tour for Journey/Def Lep 2018 tour dates -

Tickets for 2018 tour with Def Leppard go on Public sale beginning Saturday, February 3rd.
Some pre sales start Monday, January 29th.

PRESALE PASSWORD INFO

- Journey presales: JDL2018
- Ticketmaster presales: SUMMER2018
- Live Nation presales: ANTHEM
- VIP Nation presales: JDL2018
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:50 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:When Arnel's voice goes, Steve Perry can finish the tour! It sucks to be the cities on the first half of those tour dates! :D

I forgot about Travis! In that case......
Here is a set list:
1. Separate Ways <---Arnel
2. Only The Young <----Arnel
3. Chain Reaction <-----Travis
4. Lights <------Arnel
5. Open Arms <----Arnel
6. Change For The Better <----Arnel
7. Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' <-----Arnel
8. Escape <----Travis
9. Wheel In The Sky <----Arnel
10. Edge Of The Moment <----Arnel
11. Who's Cryin' Now <-----Arnel
12. Feeling That Way <-----Jon/Travis
13. Anytime <-----Jon/Travis
14. Faithfully <----Arnel
15. One More <-----Travis
16. Stone In Love' <----Arnel
17. Edge Of The Blade <----Travis
18. Lay It Down <------Travis
19. After All These Years <------Arnel
20. Don't Stop Believin' <----Arnel
21. Any Way You Want It <-----Arnel
(Arnel sings on fourteen songs. Everybody is happy.)
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:02 am

During the Styx/REO/Journey Main Event tour, the band played State of Grace and Dixie Highway. What is there to look forward to on this tour? This band is at an all time creative low.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby lparn » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:24 am

Im seeing a ton of complaining and angry fans on facebook
They're saying that they paid for dl rockbrigade and can't access tickets
Some are saying non vip tickets are over $300
Dl vip is $1000
Unless they're going to do a live in manila show set
Not worth it
Just greed
lparn
45 RPM

Postby lparn » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:37 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:During the Styx/REO/Journey Main Event tour, the band played State of Grace and Dixie Highway. What is there to look forward to on this tour?

I think they played precious time also
Would love to hear songs from revelations too
lparn
45 RPM

Postby RedWingFan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:04 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

And if they're really in a pinch they can go with Maxell again.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby scarab » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:35 am

actually its memorex :D an after 1000 plays they will still shatter glass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEf6dNXZ3uI

Is that Dave Bickler? :shock: :lol:
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:27 pm

scarab wrote:actually its memorex :D an after 1000 plays they will still shatter glass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEf6dNXZ3uI

Is that Dave Bickler? :shock: :lol:

I have no part in this.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby ebake02 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:50 am

I looked at the Live Nation presale for the show in Buffalo and they want $100.00 for the 300 level nosebleed seats. I hope that was just Live Nation price gouging for the presale because if that's how the price structure is for this tour then they can kiss my ass. $100.00 for a seat up in the rafters is fucking ridiculous. :evil:
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby lparn » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:52 am

ebake02 wrote:I looked at the Live Nation presale for the show in Buffalo and they want $100.00 for the 300 level nosebleed seats. I hope that was just Live Nation price gouging for the presale because if that's how the price structure is for this tour then they can kiss my ass. $100.00 for a seat up in the rafters is fucking ridiculous. :evil:

The prices are the same here in ct
$505 for jrny vip
And the upper level is over $100
People are complaining that the dl rockbrigade passwords arent working also
No way in hell I'm spending $505 with no meet and greet for the phoned in set list its just greed
Terrific for people who can afford that
Tired of seeing comments on facebook
Of people saying "its not1980! It costs money to tour quit stealing music quit bitching"
Its just greed :evil:
lparn
45 RPM

Postby ebake02 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:51 am

lparn wrote:
ebake02 wrote:I looked at the Live Nation presale for the show in Buffalo and they want $100.00 for the 300 level nosebleed seats. I hope that was just Live Nation price gouging for the presale because if that's how the price structure is for this tour then they can kiss my ass. $100.00 for a seat up in the rafters is fucking ridiculous. :evil:

The prices are the same here in ct
$505 for jrny vip
And the upper level is over $100
People are complaining that the dl rockbrigade passwords arent working also
No way in hell I'm spending $505 with no meet and greet for the phoned in set list its just greed
Terrific for people who can afford that
Tired of seeing comments on facebook
Of people saying "its not1980! It costs money to tour quit stealing music quit bitching"
Its just greed :evil:

Personally, I'm fine paying $100.00 for a ticket but I want a hell of a lot better than a seat up near the roof or in the back of the arena, it's basically sanctioned scalping. I think I'll be passing this time unless I can find something more reasonable on Stubhub closer to concert day.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby lparn » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:42 pm

ebake02 wrote:
lparn wrote:
ebake02 wrote:I looked at the Live Nation presale for the show in Buffalo and they want $100.00 for the 300 level nosebleed seats. I

Personally, I'm fine paying $100.00 for a ticket but I want a hell of a lot better than a seat up near the roof or in the back of the arena, it's basically sanctioned scalping. I think I'll be passing this time unless I can find something more reasonable on Stubhub closer to concert day.

I feel tne same way
I havent been to that venue in a few years
Haven't seen jrnythere since 1986
Due to my financial situation i cant afford to spend $500+ or even over $100 espfor upper level
Really sucks how esp since rnrhof its more about money than fans who put them there
Am doing another VIP with foreigner
For $200 less WITH meet and greet
lparn
45 RPM

Postby ScarabGator » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:50 am

Did u guys see they added Foreigner as an opener in SF and The Pretenders in Atlanta?
ScarabGator
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:58 am

I am going to see in Tampa FL.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Memorex » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:14 am

ScarabGator wrote:Did u guys see they added Foreigner as an opener in SF and The Pretenders in Atlanta?

Cheap Trick in MN. Still not going.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:59 am

ScarabGator wrote:Did u guys see they added Foreigner as an opener in SF and The Pretenders in Atlanta?

If they add a third band, it means they are going to play the same tired 14-song set list. Good Lord! This can't be good for anybody. Not for fans. Not for the band. Not for anybody.

They should be touring alone; not adding a third band.

They need to freshen up their set list. If there is only 14 songs, then they will have to be smart about it.
1 Wheel In The Sky: Why not open the show with Wheel In The Sky for a fresh change?
2 Only The Young: This is Jon's baby and it has an emotional place in his heart. So, they will do this song.
3 Keep On Runnin: They haven't done this in a long time.
4 Lights/ Stay Awhile (Adding this to Lights is cool because most casual fans won''t know what is going on, and you just snuck in another rare song without them knowing.)
5 Lay It Down (Travis is dying to sing. Let the man sing!)
6 Lovin, Touchin, Squeezin (Why not jam in the middle of the concert? Mix it up!)
7 Who's Cryin' Now? (Casual fans want to heart this song and NOT Jon's lame medley.)
8 Trial By Fire (Steve Perry might attend a show if Journey did this song,)
9 Open Arms (Too many ballads, but they have to do them.)
10 Faithfully (Too many ballads, but they have to do them.)
11 Stone In Love (Save Stone In Love for the final rock push.)
12 Any Way You Want It (Rock out at end of show.)
13 Don't Stop Believin' (Give the casual fans what they want.)
14 Separate Ways (Finish with your usual opener. That makes it fresh.)
JourneyHard
8 Track

Next

Return to Journey