Schon Talks 'Journey Through Time'

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Schon Talks 'Journey Through Time'

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:48 pm

Q: You’re putting so much time into preparing for the benefit show. Why not do a whole tour with that lineup?

A: Well, you know, I’m not saying that it can’t eventually go there. I was down there (at the rehearsal) yesterday, and it was all coming back to me. I haven’t played any of the older material in years, and it’s like it never left. It’s embedded in the soul.

Q: You’re going all the way back to the original Journey material?

A: I gave the guys a list of songs and they about s— themselves. I gave them a list of like 55 to 60 songs. Everybody was like, “Are you kidding? This is a six-hour concert!” Having watched Phish and the Dead for years, I feel like I should be a part of that with this entity because it’s sort of what we were in the beginning. We’re kind of like that, on steroids.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/music/popqui ... 541450.php
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Re: Schon Talks 'Journey Through Time'

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:55 am

What Neal is forgetting is that the Dead and Phish fans would attend their shows fully expecting a 4+ hour jam session. That's not what the average ticket buying Journey fan is out for these days, especially if the show is made up of Pre-Perry songs that they're not even aware of.

Good concept for hard core fans, but a hard sell for the ticket buyers.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:21 am

I'm sure Neal would love to play a 4+ hour concert, but I'm also sure the front man would never make it through. Neal never seems to take that into consideration... he figures he can do it, why can't everyone else?
Last edited by perryfan61 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:01 am

But playing a few shows in small barns makes all these issues irrelevant.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:00 am

I just can't wait to hear/see Rolie/Schon play the "old stuff". And deen singing them? wow.
I would love to hear Next, with Deen and Rolie trade off vocals.
And Deen doing Sweet and Simple...
Die hard fans...Wont even give a damn that they dont do DSB. I sure wouldn't.
I should have bought tickets, but as they are playing a 1000 or less seater, that was impossible, I think they sold out in minutes.
I just hope all the songs get uploaded to youtube.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:54 pm

Journey’s Neal Schon On Reuniting With Gregg Rolie For “Neal Schon’s Journey Through Time”

https://www.thehypemagazine.com/journey ... egg-rolie/

Published on February 1st, 2018 | by Darren Paltrowitz

Neal Schon is not only the founding member of the legendary rock band Journey — over 75 million albums sold and counting — but also a guitarist with a one-of-a-kind career path. Schon kicked off his career as a teenager, joining Santana while in high school. Beyond his work with Journey and Santana, Schon has also sold millions of albums via his recordings with Bad English, Hardline and Jan Hammer. He has also recorded with the likes of The Allman Brothers Band, Beth Hart, and Sammy Hagar.

2018 is shaping up to be yet another big year for Schon. This month, he will be reuniting with Gregg Rolie — a bandmate in both Journey and Santana — for Neal Schon’s Journey Through Time. This full-band gig will be happening on February 9, 2018 at San Francisco’s The Independent, benefitting North Bay Fire Relief. This will be the first concert that Schon and Rolie have played together in years. Schon, as part of Journey, will also be embarking on a co-headlining tour with Def Leppard, gigging at arenas and stadiums throughout North America. The 58-city tour kicks off in Hartford, CT on May 21st.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Schon by phone, learning more about Neal Schon’s Journey Through Time and what else the influential guitar player has coming up in the near-future. More on Schon can be found online at http://www.schonmusic.com.

How did your reunion with Gregg come about?

Neal Schon: Gregg and I have been talking for years, but actually when we got together a couple of years ago after working on the reunited Santana. We had a blast doing that. I’d been thinking about doing this sort of a show, going back to our first three [Journey] records… There’s a huge volume of work that diehard Journey fans are aware of, but many are not.

When the fires happened up here in Marin County, there was such devastation. I drove by it and there’s nothing left. I wanted to jump on one of these shows to donate and help everybody in the community. They were already booked with different acts, so I grabbed what I could grab. It’s really tough when you don’t book so far in advance, and I managed to get The Independent, which is a great venue, very intimate. It holds 550 people.

I’ve always loved playing small places like this, so I said, “For now, this will do and we’ll raise as much as we can.” Actually, the deal we cut with the promoters was awesome, so we’ll be able to donate almost everything we get. It’s a good opportunity to get together and do what we’ve been talking about for a long time. Gregg and I have talked about it for years.

Do you know what you will be performing live with Gregg? Will it be any Santana? A mix of songs from throughout your career?

Neal Schon: No, it’s not Santana, we’re playing Journey stuff. This is about Journey.

I’m surprised that there will be no Santana songs, since you two are also synonymous with your work with Santana.

Neal Schon: Eventually that could happen further down the line. I plan on playing more shows than just this one, but I’m already committed for the whole year with Journey and Def Leppard. That’s going to be a monstrous tour, we’re going to have a lot of fun with that. But I’m going to love digging back into the streets, getting back to San Francisco, where this whole band started, playing at Winterland [Ballroom], and diving back into that material.

Setting up the other day — we’re rehearsing before the 9th and going through all the material — I gave all the guys a list of, I think, 55 songs. They’re album-deep and stuff that we never play, and everybody’s like, “Are you crazy? That’s a seven-hour show.” (laughs) They’re just songs, and let’s just check it out, and when we get together, we’ll do whatever works for us. We definitely are going to play stuff off of the first, second, third, Infinity, Evolution, and Departure records.

Journey seems to be as big now as it ever was, having turned things around within the last decade. When did you first start to realize that you were no longer just a “classic rock” sort of band?

Neal Schon: I think it’s come with time. I don’t think anyone imagined at this point that we’d still be around. I really never thought about it, but if I had thought about it back then, I’d never have thought we’d still be around. We have a lot of brand new fans every year, and when I look out in the audience, I see definitely three generations, sometimes four generations. The audience is getting younger and they’re getting more aware and digging into the records and finding out about it.

Finally, Neal, any last words for the kids?

Neal Schon: It’s a rough business out there, but we’re doing everything we can do to get the laws right for streaming and all that, so all the young musicians out there can actually pursue the career that they want and love. It’s very difficult these days for younger kids that are playing. It’s astounding how fast kids are learning, they have all the tools on the Internet to learn from. It’s just mind-boggling to me. I had a record player and I could slow it down half-speed, you know?

Keep pursuing what’s in your heart, follow your heart, and stay hopeful. Don’t listen to anybody, because someone tells you you’re never going to make it, like a lot of people told me when I was in high school. I loved driving up with my first car — a Maserati — and grabbing all of the teachers that told me I was going to be a bum and going nowhere. (laughs) Follow your heart, and there’s many musicians like myself that are working to change the laws to get the music industry in a better place where it should be in the digital world.
Last edited by tater1977 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:48 pm

nealschon

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bews5vnhRO1/

Just rehearsed all day with Journey Through Time with Gregg Rolie Deen Castronovo Marco Mendoza and John Varn .
Herbie Herbert came by to see the Future .Then did a cool interview with great long time buddy SammyHagar for axstv .things are looking up nealschon nealandmichaeleschon journeythroughtime schön hagar pic by my lovely wife LadyM
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:58 am

Wonder what he meant by Herbie seeing "the future"? Sounds ominous :?:
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby steveo777 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:12 am

perryfan61 wrote:Wonder what he meant by Herbie seeing "the future"? Sounds ominous :?:

Not ominous, but obvious. Neal may very well be testing a lineup that may become Journey. I really think that's what's up his sleeve. Future? Sure sounds like it to me. Cain is replaceable, Ross too. They've got Rolie and Castronovo and plenty of talent in the other guys. How it will go over with the fans is yet to be seen, but we should see some videos of the Journey Through Time tour and come to a judgement as to whether or not it works.
steveo777
MP3

Postby scarab » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:55 am

as much as i would love to see this be the new Journey,
the band now will be touring til 2019.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:53 pm

scarab wrote:as much as i would love to see this be the new Journey,

"Journey Through Time" is a Journey-related Neal side project. It won't supplant the main cash cow.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby scarab » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:41 am

the sad thing is, even with just Neal and if he could call it Journey, 99% wouldn't care akin to Foreigner.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Tomulator » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:48 am

To me, this is a golden opportunity for NS to "piggyback" off of Journey with a new lineup...I suggest the following.

- NS, Rollie, Smitty, and either Randy Jackson or Ross should pitch a new band idea to SP. This band would be the next "phase" of Journey...too bad "Arrival" as a band name is already been taken...the band would have a new name/identity.

- The idea behind this new band would be to write and perform ENTIRELY new material...written explicitly around SP's vocal abilities...as they are TODAY. There would be allowed NO falling back to old Journey material...this band would operate as it's own entity, almost like a sequal to a movie. An entirely new thing.

- Touring could likewise be tailored to the desires/abilities of the collective members...tour material would be EXCLUSIVELY the newly penned material...NO "dirty dozen" to be played...and be up front about it!

I think, if pitched to Perry in this way, he may bite on it. Think about it, it solves what I believe is (and has been) the main reason SP left the stage...diminished vocal range. New material would allow that issue to be addressed.

Finally, I believe that a NS/SP colloboration (i.e., a "new" Journey for a new age) would still carry enough weight to be successful. The vast majority of Journey fans want to see a lineup with SP again...this idea would allow that to happen and for SP to "save face" given his reduced vocal abilities these days.

A man can dream can't he? 8)
"I was merely probing the patient for muscle tone and skeletal girth. We mock what we don't understand."
Tomulator
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:52 am

Tomulator wrote:To me, this is a golden opportunity for NS to "piggyback" off of Journey with a new lineup...I suggest the following.

- NS, Rollie, Smitty, and either Randy Jackson or Ross should pitch a new band idea to SP. This band would be the next "phase" of Journey...too bad "Arrival" as a band name is already been taken...the band would have a new name/identity.

- The idea behind this new band would be to write and perform ENTIRELY new material...written explicitly around SP's vocal abilities...as they are TODAY. There would be allowed NO falling back to old Journey material...this band would operate as it's own entity, almost like a sequal to a movie. An entirely new thing.

- Touring could likewise be tailored to the desires/abilities of the collective members...tour material would be EXCLUSIVELY the newly penned material...NO "dirty dozen" to be played...and be up front about it!

I think, if pitched to Perry in this way, he may bite on it. Think about it, it solves what I believe is (and has been) the main reason SP left the stage...diminished vocal range. New material would allow that issue to be addressed.

Finally, I believe that a NS/SP colloboration (i.e., a "new" Journey for a new age) would still carry enough weight to be successful. The vast majority of Journey fans want to see a lineup with SP again...this idea would allow that to happen and for SP to "save face" given his reduced vocal abilities these days.

Neal has wanted an outlet to dig deep and play the pre-Perry jam band stuff for awhile. Creating new material with SP is soo far removed from what this is even about. I understand you're being facetious, but fans should be celebrating Rolie's return. Let's hope for new Schon/Rolie tunes.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Tomulator » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:28 am

The lineup I'm suggesting isn't what NS is doing now...plus, I'd bet Neal would MUCH RATHER do something new, creative, and lucrative with Perry at the helm than play obscure instrumentals from a bygone age to smaller crowds...just sayin'

I like my idea very much. 8)
"I was merely probing the patient for muscle tone and skeletal girth. We mock what we don't understand."
Tomulator
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:31 am

Art Vandelay wrote:What Neal is forgetting is that the Dead and Phish fans would attend their shows fully expecting a 4+ hour jam session. That's not what the average ticket buying Journey fan is out for these days, especially if the show is made up of Pre-Perry songs that they're not even aware of.

Good concept for hard core fans, but a hard sell for the ticket buyers.

I don't understand. Most of the fans that bought these tickets KNOW about the Pre-Perry and the 3 Pre-Cain albums. That's why those tickets sold out in 5 minutes. Heck, I came into Journey (with Steve Perry) fandom late and even Iknow about and actually bought all 3 of them. Do I like them more than Infinity, Departure and Evolution? No. But are they good? Yeah, very good.
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:34 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
scarab wrote:as much as i would love to see this be the new Journey,

"Journey Through Time" is a Journey-related Neal side project. It won't supplant the main cash cow.

I truly believe he IS thinking about making this "side project" the main cash cow. Remember what he said last summer about "fixing it all". Herbie saw it...what Neal wants and most likely will get.
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby scarab » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:39 am

it sounds like most of the songs they will do is Infinity-Departure.
But I hope they do some Pre Perry stuff and maybe some Dream after Dream.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:43 am

Tomulator wrote:To me, this is a golden opportunity for NS to "piggyback" off of Journey with a new lineup...I suggest the following.

I think you might have something there. Stevie just might bite......If not for one thing.....his health. Or have we all forgotten that he is now 69 and by his own words: "shitting anti-inflammatories". They have now become his best friend. And don't forget what he also said: "The arthritis has spread to other places". And this near-direct quote: "Uncle Steve isn't a young spring chicken anymore." So, hate to break this to ya'll, if the anti-inflammatories don't get ya (via liver damage and God only knows what else), the stress of the touring will. Steve realized VERY early on that he needs to take care of himself. While his body might be rebelling against him, he is keeping active and fit.
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby tater1977 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:44 am

scarab wrote:it sounds like most of the songs they will do is Infinity-Departure.
But I hope they do some Pre Perry stuff and maybe some Dream after Dream.

Neal - ' We definitely are going to play stuff off of the first, second, third, Infinity, Evolution, and Departure records.'
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:47 am

Tomulator wrote:The lineup I'm suggesting isn't what NS is doing now...plus, I'd bet Neal would MUCH RATHER do something new, creative, and lucrative with Perry at the helm than play obscure instrumentals from a bygone age to smaller crowds...just sayin'

Very odd post. Sorry. Of all the things to get excited about, having SP join ranks pretty low on the list.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Tomulator » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:50 am

bellairepark73 wrote:

I think you might have something there. Stevie just might bite......If not for one thing.....his health. Or have we all forgotten that he is now 69 and by his own words: "shitting anti-inflammatories". They have now become his best friend. And don't forget what he also said: "The arthritis has spread to other places". And this near-direct quote: "Uncle Steve isn't a young spring chicken anymore." So, hate to break this to ya'll, if the anti-inflammatories don't get ya (via liver damage and God only knows what else), the stress of the touring will. Steve realized VERY early on that he needs to take care of himself. While his body might be rebelling against him, he is keeping active and fit.

Hence my comment about "tailoring touring to only as much as the band wants or can do..."

He ain't dead yet fellas...
Tomulator
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:51 am

bellairepark73 wrote: Herbie saw it...what Neal wants and most likely will get.

If Neal actually had power over "his band", he wouldn't have to resort to bitching on social media about things.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Tomulator » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:57 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Tomulator wrote:The lineup I'm suggesting isn't what NS is doing now...plus, I'd bet Neal would MUCH RATHER do something new, creative, and lucrative with Perry at the helm than play obscure instrumentals from a bygone age to smaller crowds...just sayin'

Very odd post. Sorry. Of all the things to get excited about, having SP join ranks pretty low on the list.

Says YOU.

Very "odd" response to a pretty good idea...

Sorry, but 99.9% of the Journey fan base would get excited about a lineup with Perry...maybe even higher. What percentage are truly "excited" about this latest Journey Through Time? Does a new project with Rolie even move the needle in terms of getting people excited from a commercial standpoint? Not significantly.

Now...a project with NS, GR, and SP...that WOULD.
Tomulator
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:27 am

Tomulator wrote:Says YOU.
Very "odd" response to a pretty good idea...

Yes, I speak for me. Neal bringing back Rolie/Deen and making the band actually creative again is the exciting news. This is potentially the biggest news since reforming in 1998 (or at least hiring JSS). And what are you talking about? The same stale tired SP fantasy. :roll:

Tomulator wrote:Sorry, but 99.9% of the Journey fan base would get excited about a lineup with Perry...maybe even higher.

Ah, whereas I speak only for myself, you claim to speak for 99.9% of all fans. Got it.
Listen, most hardcore fans are aware that SP hasn't sung on stage with the guys since 1991.
The rest are delusional or just casual listeners.

Tomulator wrote:What percentage are truly "excited" about this latest Journey Through Time?

The Augeri-era was successful, in part, because of interest from the die-hard fan base. I think this new spin-off band would have plenty of similar appeal.

Tomulator wrote:Does a new project with Rolie even move the needle in terms of getting people excited from a commercial standpoint? Not significantly.

Why are you even discussing "commercial success" in regards to a charity show for fire victims? Disgusting. Have some fucking class.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Tomulator » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:40 am

Who died and left you to decide what makes sense and what doesn't? News flash...you don't have all the answers.

A suggestion for ya...stop being an ass with a combative and mostly bad attitude. I've been around these boards long enough to have formulated an opinion that's every bit as valid as yours...so just back off.

Where do you get off attacking people for their ideas anyway? I don't give a crap what you think about my idea...you old douchebag with Harry Caray glasses. :lol:

Oh...and bite me.
Tomulator
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:49 am

Tomulator wrote:Who died and left you to decide what makes sense and what doesn't? News flash...you don't have all the answers.

This is a thread about Neal's new Journey side-project featuring Gregg Rolie. Go jerk off to the tuxedoed ghost of SP elsewhere.

Tomulator wrote:A suggestion for ya...stop being an ass with a combative and mostly bad attitude. I've been around these boards long enough to have formulated an opinion that's every bit as valid as yours...so just back off.

There is nothing valid about arguing for SP's return. It's off-topic and borderline trolling.

Tomulator wrote:Where do you get off attacking people for their ideas anyway? I don't give a crap what you think about my idea...you old douchebag with Harry Caray glasses. :lol:

Oh...and bite me.

When I said your post was "odd", I was really just being polite. It was actually quite fucking stupid. JTT is to enable Neal to play Pre-Perry and early Rolie stuff. Arguing to create some new Perry-centric lineup defeats the entire point.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Tomulator » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:02 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Tomulator wrote:Who died and left you to decide what makes sense and what doesn't? News flash...you don't have all the answers.

This is a thread about Neal's new Journey side-project featuring Gregg Rolie. Go jerk off to the tuxedoed ghost of SP elsewhere.

Tomulator wrote:A suggestion for ya...stop being an ass with a combative and mostly bad attitude. I've been around these boards long enough to have formulated an opinion that's every bit as valid as yours...so just back off.

There is nothing valid about arguing for SP's return. It's off-topic and borderline trolling.

Tomulator wrote:Where do you get off attacking people for their ideas anyway? I don't give a crap what you think about my idea...you old douchebag with Harry Caray glasses. :lol:

Oh...and bite me.

When I said your post was "odd", I was really just being polite. It was actually quite fucking stupid. JTT is to enable Neal to play Pre-Perry and early Rolie stuff. Arguing to create some new Perry-centric lineup defeats the entire point.

What an "elitist snob" you are...

I simply had an IDEA for a LONG-TERM project where SP could conceivably return...NOT an idea about this fundraiser. It is a much BIGGER idea...and all your garbage ranting and raving doesn't change the fact that it's a decent one.

So...step away from the computer screen and go upstairs now. Mommy probably has dinner ready for you... :roll:
Tomulator
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:21 am

Tomulator wrote:What an "elitist snob" you are...

Too funny.

You just thumbed your nose at fans saying: "...I'd bet Neal would MUCH RATHER do something new, creative, and lucrative with Perry at the helm than play obscure instrumentals from a bygone age to smaller crowds..."

Your elitism and contempt for people practically radiates off the screen....

Tell me, is there something wrong with "small crowds"?
Instead of intimate venues, you'd rather have SP back and price out the average blue-collar fan?
I think the early stuff holds up and is not from "a bygone age" at all.
Everything except the dozen can be dismissively called "obscure."

Look at your language. The only pinky-raising elitist asshole in this thread is YOU.

Tomulator wrote:I simply had an IDEA for a LONG-TERM project where SP could conceivably return...NOT an idea about this fundraiser. It is a much BIGGER idea...and all your garbage ranting and raving doesn't change the fact that it's a decent one.

Your idea is 180 degrees off-topic and has nothing to do with reality. Like I said, go flagellate your ballbag to Perry's mullet elsewhere.

Tomulator wrote:So...step away from the computer screen and go upstairs now. Mommy probably has dinner ready for you... :roll:

Perryheads always seem to have Oedipal Mommy complexes. Not sure why that is. Maybe not breast-fed enough. Or too much.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Tomulator » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:35 am

A few points...

1) I'll post whatever and wherever I feel like it. Deal with it.

2) NS has intimated that he's open to a broader scope with this JTT lineup...that is where my idea came from. It is relevant, appropriate to bring up, and makes total sense. No wonder it doesn't resonate with you...

3) Do you have a job or something else you're supposed to do all day? You seem to be constantly on these pages, acting like some "authority" (which you clearly are NOT), and frequently attacking other posters trying to minimize their input. Kind of creepy...

:shock:
Tomulator
Cassette Tape

Next

Return to Journey