Schon Talks 'Journey Through Time'

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Schon Talks 'Journey Through Time'

Postby steveo777 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:21 pm

JourneyHard wrote:They could release one CD for Part One of this concert and release another CD a year later with Part Two. :D

Nope. Just release the BluRay and package it with the 2 CDs and I'm good. :D
steveo777
MP3

Postby Vocalsmanvocals » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:35 am

:D :D :D :D
Def an exciting show. Small venue. Nothing but jams all night long! 32 song set list! Def fun to watch!!
Vocalsmanvocals
45 RPM

Postby JourneyHard » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:11 pm

Vocalsmanvocals wrote::D :D :D :D
Def an exciting show. Small venue. Nothing but jams all night long! 32 song set list! Def fun to watch!!

Would you rather have 32 songs or the 14 you will get when they tour with Def Leppard?

Also, the Patiently/Trial By Fire/Stay Awhile part is the dream for Neal to tour with Steve Perry doing that sort of thing for the whole concert. I know it won't happen, but that is the dream. And it would be cool. They could do small theaters. I know it will never happen.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby JourneyHard » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Now, they have to do a new album with Deen singing songs from Revelation and Eclipse.

1. Edge of the Moment 2. Chain of Love 3. Tantra 4. Anything is Possible 5. After All These Years 6. Where Did I Lose Your Love
7. Resonate 8. Human Feel 9. Ritual 10. Never Walk Away 11. Faith in the Heartland 12. Change for the Better

This would be a rocking good album.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:01 am

JourneyHard wrote:Now, they have to do a new album with Deen singing songs from Revelation and Eclipse.

1. Edge of the Moment 2. Chain of Love 3. Tantra 4. Anything is Possible 5. After All These Years 6. Where Did I Lose Your Love
7. Resonate 8. Human Feel 9. Ritual 10. Never Walk Away 11. Faith in the Heartland 12. Change for the Better

This would be a rocking good album.

Deen's vocals should have been on Revelation and Eclipse. In fact, I think Generations should have been half Augeri and half Deen.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:02 am

Lora wrote:
slucero wrote:I listen to Deen sing Daydream... and its so badass...

Then I listen to Perry sing it at Comisky Park in 1979.. and think... "FUCK ME"..... we were SO LUCKY to have heard Perry sing this... he was just on a a completely other level.. amazing....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHiXMpe3MEw

Yep. Completely on another level. I also feel very fortunate to have seen so many Perry-fronted shows.

I really enjoyed Journey Through Time. These guys were only together for a few days to rehearse ALL those songs, so I would never critique their performance, but... I have read so many over-the-top comments about Deen's phenomenal performance. Were these people at the same show I attended? Yes, it is difficult to play drums and sing. Yes, he has overcome a lot in his life. Yes, the sound wasn't great. But let's not get carried away. The show was outstanding for what it was - old friends who came together to raise some money for charity, play some great tunes and have fun. :)

Agreed. I think that all of the over-the-top reviews of the videos, mine included, were from excitement that something different and cool was offered to the fans, and that the plans actually came to fruition. With all of the weirdness going on as of late...empty promises of deeper cuts being played on tour, lost creative opportunities in Vegas, personal conflicts being aired out on social media, and of course the pains of waiting for Steve's new material to arrive...it was easy to get caught up in the excitement of this show. I have no problems admitting that I am only a casual fan these days, since 1998 actually. The passion of the hard core fans are much stronger than mine. These videos even lit a fire for me. Hopefully, we'll see more of this incarnation here and there, even if it's just for sh*ts and giggles!
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:19 am

The people who are saying that Deen is Perry reincarnated are deaf. Deen's the man but I doubt he could last a full tour of singing this night to night.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby scarab » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:26 am

It is really sad that this band doesn't tour.
I prefer Deen's vocals much more than Arnels.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Archetype » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:58 am

Amazing performance and amazing setlist. I wish Neal would have thrown in some post-Perry material though. Higher Place and Place In Your Heart would have been nice.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:47 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:The people who are saying that Deen is Perry reincarnated are deaf. Deen's the man but I doubt he could last a full tour of singing this night to night.

Ironically, months ago I was saying that I would love to see Neal put together a lineup of......
Neal: guitar
Rolie: Keyboards, lead Vocals
Castronovo: drums, lead vocals
Marco Mendoza: bass
And someone like Augeri on lead vocals, he could also supply a small amount of additional rhythm guitar.

Augeri (or Pineda instead) and Castronovo could handle all of the Perry vocals, and Rolie could obviously sing the stuff that he originated. If you had two guys like Augeri and Castronovo sharing the Perry lead vocals, with Rolie also singing, they shouldn't have any trouble holding up over the course of an entire tour.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:52 am

Archetype wrote:Amazing performance and amazing setlist. I wish Neal would have thrown in some post-Perry material though. Higher Place and Place In Your Heart would have been nice.

Agreed.

I would have preferred something like "Higher Place" "The Place In Your Heart" "Faith In The Heartland" "World Gone Wild" or "Edge Of The Moment" over DSB.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby annie89509 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:47 pm

Always loved Gregg's soft and sensual voice .... amazing he still sounds this good. Of course, we're sad the Special One is not there performing with ("his") band. But just to watch this group of guys singing and playing some of our old favorite songs is momentous.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:37 pm

annie89509 wrote:Of course, we're sad the Special One is not there performing with ("his") band.

I guess Andy Avery was busy with other things that night? :wink:
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:14 pm

Umm...no offense but Gregg did not sound good...at all. Deen sounded impressive.
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby FamilyMan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:56 pm

bellairepark73 wrote:Umm...no offense but Gregg did not sound good...at all. Deen sounded impressive.

Finally - a voice of reason with me about Gregg, :shock:
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:34 pm

FamilyMan wrote:
bellairepark73 wrote:Umm...no offense but Gregg did not sound good...at all. Deen sounded impressive.

On some of these songs, Gregg's voice has barely aged. Maybe you guys just don't like Gregg's voice.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby steveo777 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:20 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
FamilyMan wrote:

On some of these songs, Gregg's voice has barely aged. Maybe you guys just don't like Gregg's voice.

I like Gregg's voice, but some people, who don't know the history of the band might not like his voice. Forgive them father, for they don't know... :mrgreen:
steveo777
MP3

Postby MysteryMountain » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:23 am

Last edited by MysteryMountain on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
MysteryMountain
Ol' 78

Postby MysteryMountain » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:34 am

Lora wrote:What I remember, in no particular order. I know I left some out: Look Into The Future, I'm Gonna Leave You, Kohoutek, Of A Lifetime, People, Mystery Mountain, Lights, Wheel In The Sky, LTS, Anyway You Want It, Lady Luck, Walks Like A Lady, Opened The Door, La Do Da, DSB, Just The Same Way, Feeling That Way / Anytime, Separate Ways, Line Of Fire, Mother Father. Deen & Neal came out after the break and did an acoustic medley of Patiently/Still They Ride/Trial By Fire. They ended the show with a bad-ass version of Black Magic Woman and then Oye Como Va.

In the immortal words of Mike Damone, ... I think I came ....
MysteryMountain
Ol' 78

Postby annie89509 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:20 pm

FamilyMan wrote:

I dunno ... Gregg still sounds good to me. Now, Deen seems really raspy. Poor youtube sound, probably, and he just got back to singing these songs...voice not fined tuned yet.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:21 am

annie89509 wrote:
FamilyMan wrote:

I dunno ... Gregg still sounds good to me. Now, Deen seems really raspy. Poor youtube sound, probably, and he just got back to singing these songs...voice not fined tuned yet.

Now people want Gregg to sound like Steve Perry? Gregg's voice is awesome. It doesn't like Perry and it was never intended to sound like Perry.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby JourneyHard » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:22 am

steveo777 wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:They could release one CD for Part One of this concert and release another CD a year later with Part Two. :D

Nope. Just release the BluRay and package it with the 2 CDs and I'm good. :D

The concert was three and half hours long? They might have to release Part One, Part Two, and Part Three! :D
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby annie89509 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:29 pm

JourneyHard wrote:]
FamilyMan wrote:

Now people want Gregg to sound like Steve Perry? Gregg's voice is awesome. It doesn't like Perry and it was never intended to sound like Perry.[/quote]
Whaaat? :? Who says Gregg should sound like SP? Nobody says/ thinks those 2 ever sounded alike. Each had his own tone.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:54 am

Thanks for all the clips. It was awesome to see Gregg enjoying himself so much, and Neal too.

I'm really hoping they put out a DVD.... I'm sure the sound quality would be much better... but these clips really give you the feeling of the crowd, how much they enjoyed hearing the older cuts. Sure would love to have been there. :D :) :!:
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:48 pm

annie89509 wrote:I dunno ... Gregg still sounds good to me. Now, Deen seems really raspy. Poor youtube sound, probably, and he just got back to singing these songs...voice not fined tuned yet.

By his own admission, Dean doesn't warm up. He just sings until his voice opens up. He should probably invest in some lessons. A noticeable slight rasp has been creeping in. However, he does smoke (or did).
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Greg » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:26 am

I like the rasp in Deen's voice. But yeah, if he's going to become more of a lead singer, he should probably try to take care of his voice better than he has in the past.
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby brywool » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:06 am

Greg wrote:I like the rasp in Deen's voice. But yeah, if he's going to become more of a lead singer, he should probably try to take care of his voice better than he has in the past.

Have you heard Deen SPEAK? His speaking voice is always VERY raspy. The fact that he can sing the way he does with that speaking voice boggles my mind. He does a great job. Not sure how he would do if he had to do an entire tour, maybe ok, maybe not.
Personally, I'm hoping that the band keeps it together with Arnel. Obviously a fan of his, but more importantly, he's been nothing but a workhorse for Journey since he's been in. Also been the picture of goodwill for them. It'd suck to see him get rewarded with being tossed out of the band. No slight to Deen meant here.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby brywool » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:14 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
By his own admission, Dean doesn't warm up. He just sings until his voice opens up. He should probably invest in some lessons. A noticeable slight rasp has been creeping in. However, he does smoke (or did).

That IS warming up for MANY singers. A lot of singers don't warm up. Some of them warm up too much and it screws with their performances. It's funny there are as many regimens, superstitions, hurdles that singers go through before a show and then others that just walk on and do it. So weird how it works easily for some and not for others. Some people have damage on their cords that help their voice be the way it is. Mariah Carey actually has nodules and that's how she can hit those nuttyass whistle register things that she does (and yeah, her voice isn't what it once was, but hey). With Deen, he should probably just leave well enough alone unless he's having issues, which I don't hear in his singing.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby FamilyMan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:41 am

brywool wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

That IS warming up for MANY singers. A lot of singers don't warm up. Some of them warm up too much and it screws with their performances. It's funny there are as many regimens, superstitions, hurdles that singers go through before a show and then others that just walk on and do it. So weird how it works easily for some and not for others. Some people have damage on their cords that help their voice be the way it is. Mariah Carey actually has nodules and that's how she can hit those nuttyass whistle register things that she does (and yeah, her voice isn't what it once was, but hey). With Deen, he should probably just leave well enough alone unless he's having issues, which I don't hear in his singing.

Perry would torture himself singing scales before every show. As a stagehand at the NJ Meadowlands back in '87, I have this vivid memory of him pacing back and forth backstage before going on - the sound of his soaring voice echoing on and off the arena's steel and cinder-block underbelly. No one worked harder to be perfect.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby brywool » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:00 am

FamilyMan wrote:Perry would torture himself singing scales before every show. As a stagehand at the NJ Meadowlands back in '87, I have this vivid memory of him pacing back and forth backstage before going on - the sound of his soaring voice echoing on and off the arena's steel and cinder-block underbelly. No one worked harder to be perfect.

For sure and by 87, he probably needed to warm up more than in previous years because by that time, his voice had started to get beat up. I think he always warmed up too.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

PreviousNext

Return to Journey