If they would listen...what's your advice!

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

If they would listen...what's your advice!

Postby journel » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:36 am

Before Journey embarks on a massive tour with DL this year.
What would be your advice to each member of the current line-up?
We believe that some members of the band are lurking around this forum.
Otherwise, we won't be blabbering here with gusto for no apparent reason.
Please keep your advice sweet and short :twisted:

NEAL: Just let this thing slide...this tour and current line-up will bring tons of dough. Be secure, Be happy, love you! :wink:
JON: Don't force any issues. No "I" in the word "BAND or TEAM". Think brotherhood. Be pure. God bless you! :)
ROSS: Just plug and play Bro. Stay the way you are! :D
STEVE: Love jazz but keep on rockin...a little more harder! 8)
ARNEL: Go all in. Love your voice and just let it soar, have no fear...you heard it STEVE PERRY loves you. Take care, Brother! :D
TRAVIS: Just enjoy the ride and stay away from harms way! :wink:

Peace :mrgreen:
journel
Ol' 78

Re: If they would listen...what's your advice!

Postby JourneyHard » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:18 pm

Neal: We love your long solos, but you gotta do more than 14 songs.
Jon: There's no "I" in Drumpf. Play Who's Cryn' Now and dump the ballad melody.
Ross: Keep those funny faces coming.
Steve: You are the best thing to happen to this current band in ten years! (Arnel's been in the band ten years.)
Arnel: You've been in the band ten years. You have a little pull. Push for at least one song from Eclipse and one from Revelations.
Travis: Beg, borrow or whatever you gotta do to sing Lay It Down!
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:59 pm

Jonathan: Shit or get off the pot. Write and record new Journey material or leave Journey. The same goes for changing up the set-list. Either play deeper cuts, or let someone else step in in your place who wants to make Journey shows fun again.

Neal: If Cain won't work on new Journey material and won't play deeper cuts in concert, then dump his ass as soon as possible.

Ross: Think about what I said to Cain, you need an attitude adjustment too.

Steve: you're doing an awesome job. Please continue to work with Neal on a regular basis!

Arnel: You're doing a great job too. Do your best to take care of your voice.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:37 am

Good morning. I know I'm late to this particular thread but since they are listening by changing the set list lately, they should definitely include 1 or 2 of Arnel's songs from his 2016 solo album like they did for Steve with Street Talk.
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:06 am

bellairepark73 wrote:Good morning. I know I'm late to this particular thread but since they are listening by changing the set list lately, they should definitely include 1 or 2 of Arnel's songs from his 2016 solo album like they did for Steve with Street Talk.

Hard pass. The band can't manage to fit Journey non-hits into the sets, why would they have time for AP solo stuff?
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Lerxst101 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:09 pm

Most important to me is bag the long solos. I've heard from many people that they just bring the show down from huge highs. Neal's talent, especially, is amazing, but these summer co-headliner tours are not the place to showcase these solos (yes, I know we want DL fans to know that Neal is simply an incredible musician). But I've experienced this same scenario summer tour after summer tour, and I just look around and see people heading to the bathroom or the exit (when they are the closing act). They have such a deep catalog they could reach into rather than just play solo after solo.

And please recognize I'm a huge Neal fan. When they were the headliner and played for hours, I loved hearing the solos, the deep cuts, etc., but these summer shows are NOT the place for that. Problem is that no one seems to care or are hesitant to approach Neal. I thought Sammy Hagar alluded it to it on his TV show, but it went right past Neal. Joe Elliot definitely gets it, and their setlist shows that understanding.
Lerxst101
Ol' 78

Postby verslibre » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:38 pm

Call it a day. :)
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby scarab » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:20 pm

bellairepark73 wrote:Good morning. I know I'm late to this particular thread but since they are listening by changing the set list lately, they should definitely include 1 or 2 of Arnel's songs from his 2016 solo album like they did for Steve with Street Talk.

Perry's Songs were 1 massive hit and 2 other medium hits.
It was great to see Strung Out, which was played on FM radio hear tons on the ROR tour.
I would much rather hear Journey deep cuts. And an Arrival song.
Outside the Philippines I pretty much think only 1% or less are there to see Arnel.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:50 am

Have Jon sing a song, Neal sing a song, and Travis guy sing a song. That would extend the set list by three songs without hurting Arnel.

For example, Jon and Travis could sing Just the Same Way. Neal could sing anything he wants. And Travis could sing Lay It Down.

Since Journey needs to include Open Arms and Faithfully in every show, they must include hard rock songs such as Lay It Down. Just my two cents.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:46 am

Lerxst101 wrote:Most important to me is bag the long solos. I've heard from many people that they just bring the show down from huge highs. Neal's talent, especially, is amazing, but these summer co-headliner tours are not the place to showcase these solos (yes, I know we want DL fans to know that Neal is simply an incredible musician). But I've experienced this same scenario summer tour after summer tour, and I just look around and see people heading to the bathroom or the exit (when they are the closing act). They have such a deep catalog they could reach into rather than just play solo after solo.

And please recognize I'm a huge Neal fan. When they were the headliner and played for hours, I loved hearing the solos, the deep cuts, etc., but these summer shows are NOT the place for that. Problem is that no one seems to care or are hesitant to approach Neal. I thought Sammy Hagar alluded it to it on his TV show, but it went right past Neal. Joe Elliot definitely gets it, and their setlist shows that understanding.

Sadly I must agree. In the past 5 years or so, I have seen solos from Neal that make me go "WTF was that." He is just experimenting up there. Slapping the guitar and slowly finger picking. Doesn't even sound good and stops the show dead in its tracks.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby ebake02 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:10 pm

Neal: Stick to one solo a night, 3-4 on every set list turns the crowd off and they all leave for a beer run. You may not realize it but you’re basically playing to an empty arena. Replace the solos with actual songs (Who's Crying Now etc...) and you'll keep people in their seats. Grow up and stay off social media too.
John: Quit dragging your feet and do a new Journey album while Smitty is still in the band. If you're so convinced that it won't sell well then at least do one to prove your point, and put out 100% too, don't just go through the motions.
Ross: Keep doing your thing, just keep your mouth shut and play.
Steve: Same as Ross, don't change a thing.
Arnel: Lay off all the solo shows when you're between tours, your voice is your career so you need to maintain it as long as possible if you want to keep your day job that pays the bills. Take advantage of the down time and rest your voice.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:17 pm

ebake02 wrote:Neal: Stick to one solo a night, 3-4 on every set list turns the crowd off and they all leave for a beer run. You may not realize it but you’re basically playing to an empty arena. Replace the solos with actual songs (Who's Crying Now etc...) and you'll keep people in their seats. Grow up and stay off social media too.
John: Quit dragging your feet and do a new Journey album while Smitty is still in the band. If you're so convinced that it won't sell well then at least do one to prove your point, and put out 100% too, don't just go through the motions.
Arnel: Lay off all the solo shows when you're between tours, your voice is your career so you need to maintain it as long as possible if you want to keep your day job that pays the bills. Take advantage of the down time and rest your voice.

I agree 100% with you. Great post!
People want to hear Who's Cryn' Now, and not just be teased with a little bit in a medley. Instead, of all the guitar solos, they should do Edge of the Blade, Lay It Down and so on. Neal can jam DURING those songs, and not extra solos.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby ebake02 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:58 pm

JourneyHard wrote:
ebake02 wrote:Neal: Stick to one solo a night, 3-4 on every set list turns the crowd off and they all leave for a beer run. You may not realize it but you’re basically playing to an empty arena. Replace the solos with actual songs (Who's Crying Now etc...) and you'll keep people in their seats. Grow up and stay off social media too.

People want to hear Who's Cryn' Now, and not just be teased with a little bit in a medley. Instead, of all the guitar solos, they should do Edge of the Blade, Lay It Down and so on. Neal can jam DURING those songs, and not extra solos.

I was at the Buffalo NY show and they would have the crowd pumped up then Neal would go into one of his 5 minute nonsense solos and you could feel all that energy in the room die.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby majik » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:28 am

verslibre wrote:Call it a day. :)

+1
majik
LP

Postby Archetype » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:54 pm

ebake02 wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:

I was at the Buffalo NY show and they would have the crowd pumped up then Neal would go into one of his 5 minute nonsense solos and you could feel all that energy in the room die.

Agreed. I love a good guitar solo, but 1-2 minutes is plenty. So annoying when you have to sit through a solo so long that they could have played another song.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby ebake02 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:10 am

If he’s insisting on longer solos then they should at least put Fillmore Boogie back in the set list and make a jam out of it.
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:44 am

ebake02 wrote:If he’s insisting on longer solos then they should at least put Fillmore Boogie back in the set list and make a jam out of it.

Or they could play Kohoutek or Cookie Duster.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Return to Journey