Jonathan Cain's New Memoir: 10 Things We Learned

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Jonathan Cain's New Memoir: 10 Things We Learned

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu May 03, 2018 1:13 am

Just noticed that every chapter is a song title including "After All These Years" and "To Be Alive Again."
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Thu May 03, 2018 2:47 am

Wasn't this stuff covered in a single episode of Behind The Music on VH1? :lol:

tater1977 wrote:"Guys, we're done," Cain remembers Perry saying. "We can't get any bigger. If we keep going, we're going to end up some classic rock nostalgia band. We'll end up just being a memory – a shadow of what we used to be."

Nostraperrus! :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri May 04, 2018 2:16 am

So I'm checking out the "LOOK INSIDE" preview pages on Amazon.
Page 18 (second page of chapter one), fifteen lines down:
"Neil Schon and his soaring guitar…"
N-E-I-L ?!?!?! The proofreader dropped the ball just two pages into chapter one. :shock: :lol:
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby Arkansas » Fri May 04, 2018 2:50 am

FamilyMan wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:I'm curious to see if Cain mentions Chalfant or Augeri at all in the book.

Cain speaks lovingly about Augeri in the book.

Anything on Soto?

later~
Arkansas
Cassette Tape

Postby Gideon » Fri May 04, 2018 10:26 am

Blitzed through most of this book today.

First things first: if anyone doubts that there's a world of difference between a songwriter/lyricist and a book writer, read this fucking thing. JC is JC, but none of that musical genius translates to book-writing prowess.

That said, it was extremely interesting to read his insights/memories/interpretations of things. His graciousness towards Neal and especially Perry is effuse. He also speaks of Arnel and Augeri extremely positively. The personal developments that led to him meeting Paula are also interesting.

Nothing Pulitzer worthy, but I'm glad I flipped through it.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri May 04, 2018 11:15 pm

Gideon wrote:Blitzed through most of this book today.

First things first: if anyone doubts that there's a world of difference between a songwriter/lyricist and a book writer, read this fucking thing. JC is JC, but none of that musical genius translates to book-writing prowess.

That said, it was extremely interesting to read his insights/memories/interpretations of things. His graciousness towards Neal and especially Perry is effuse. He also speaks of Arnel and Augeri extremely positively. The personal developments that led to him meeting Paula are also interesting.

Nothing Pulitzer worthy, but I'm glad I flipped through it.

Cool. Still on the fence whether to buy or not.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sat May 05, 2018 3:05 am

Gideon wrote:First things first: if anyone doubts that there's a world of difference between a songwriter/lyricist and a book writer, read this fucking thing. JC is JC, but none of that musical genius translates to book-writing prowess.

Not everyone can be Neil Peart.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby perryfan61 » Tue May 08, 2018 7:36 am

Just got my book today, I'm halfway through. Maybe being picky, but a few photos would have been nice.

Noticed a few time discrepancies, but nothing major. Just getting to his time with Journey, he and Herbie's recollections don't match....lol.

I would be interested in hearing his song "Stick to Your Guns". Anybody here ever heard it?
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:06 am

perryfan61 wrote:Just got my book today, I'm halfway through. Maybe being picky, but a few photos would have been nice.

Noticed a few time discrepancies, but nothing major. Just getting to his time with Journey, he and Herbie's recollections don't match....lol.

I would be interested in hearing his song "Stick to Your Guns". Anybody here ever heard it?

It's on a Baby's Bootleg -
Live at the Agora 1979

- give me a few, will upload it
Last edited by tater1977 on Tue May 08, 2018 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:15 am

tater1977 wrote:
perryfan61 wrote:Just got my book today, I'm halfway through. Maybe being picky, but a few photos would have been nice.

Live at the Agora 1979

Once again, many thanks Tater. Is there anything you don't know about this band :shock: :o :D
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:21 am

perryfan61 wrote:
tater1977 wrote:

Live at the Agora 1979

Once again, many thanks Tater. Is there anything you don't know about this band :shock: :o :D

Lots of stuff. LoL its best not to know everything, ya know. Jon sings this one.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:31 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
bellairepark73 wrote:No I am NOT late to the party sir. I KNOW that. That was the first time. It has NOTHING to do what I was talking about!!! I was obviously talking about his hip and its surgery sir. Please read my comment before commenting like I do yours! THANK YOU.

What proof do you have that SP would have toured with Journey after his surgery? Aside from FTLOSM solo tour, which SP also quit, Perry's track record speaks for itself.

What track record? Steve didn't quit the FTLOSM tour. It was cancelled due to his severe bouts of bronchitis. You made it sound as if he just threw up his hands and said forget it. Did I say I had proof?!? I said IF, sir. Again, please show the same courtesy showed you by reading my comments. Thanks.
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby tater1977 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:44 am

There you go -

The Babys Stick To Your Guns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag-EeOw1Iaw
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby RPM » Tue May 08, 2018 8:57 am

verslibre wrote:Wasn't this stuff covered in a single episode of Behind The Music on VH1? :lol:

tater1977 wrote:"Guys, we're done," Cain remembers Perry saying. "We can't get any bigger. If we keep going, we're going to end up some classic rock nostalgia band. We'll end up just being a memory – a shadow of what we used to be."

Nostraperrus! :lol:

The only person in the band over time who was going to be "a shadow of what they used to be".....was Perry.
He made the right call, he was absolutely the finest vocalist not only of a generation but all time.
"Remember Suzanne, those summer nights, those summer nights with me"
RPM
8 Track

Postby perryfan61 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:34 am

tater1977 wrote:

There you go -

The Babys Stick To Your Guns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag-EeOw1Iaw

"Powerful, dark, and moody" just as JC said.
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue May 08, 2018 9:39 am

bellairepark73 wrote:What track record?

ROR tour - quit
FTLOSM tour - quit
TBF tour plans - quit

bellairpark73 wrote:Steve didn't quit the FTLOSM tour. It was cancelled due to his severe bouts of bronchitis. You made it sound as if he just threw up his hands and said forget it.

If he didn't quit, the FTLOSM tour should have been rescheduled or resumed upon recovery. It's one thing to call out sick from your job. It's another thing to never show up to work ever again.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Lora » Tue May 08, 2018 10:38 am

I finished the book. My favorite part? Nero the Studio Dog. That brought back such great memories. He was such a sweet dog and everyone loved him. :)
Lora
8 Track

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue May 08, 2018 9:57 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
bellairepark73 wrote:What track record?

ROR tour - quit
FTLOSM tour - quit
TBF tour plans - quit

bellairpark73 wrote:Steve didn't quit the FTLOSM tour. It was cancelled due to his severe bouts of bronchitis. You made it sound as if he just threw up his hands and said forget it.

If he didn't quit, the FTLOSM tour should have been rescheduled or resumed upon recovery. It's one thing to call out sick from your job. It's another thing to never show up to work ever again.

Resuming/restarting the Strange Medicine tour would have been in early to mid '95. Wasn't Journey reunion talk already happening at this point?

Ok, I just went back to Steven Lake's Journey Tribute Page timeline. Looks like the Strange Medicine tour started to cancel dates in April. The official announcement was made of the reunion in October. My guess…and this is just a guess…is that a lot of that time in the previous months was spent hashing out the deal for the Journey reunion. I know there was a lot of negotiating involved (who would be involved in the reunion, etc.), and that alone would have taken up some time. Sony/Columbia would have been more interested in investing in the reunion rather than a continued Perry solo tour. Hell, it may have even been suggested that Perry stay off the road to preserve his voice for the new album. Again, just a guess but not inconceivable.

https://www.worldgenealogy.net/journey- ... union.html
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Wed May 09, 2018 3:48 am

Makes total sense to me. If a reunion was in the cards, continuing his solo tour would have been counter-productive for sure.
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby scarab » Wed May 09, 2018 5:38 am

Perry didnt quit the ROR tour, he just didnt want to do a second leg. No dates were cancelled after anchorage. And at this point of time ROR was done singles wise.
If he quit the FTLOSM tour it was due to medical issues. Although I am not aware of scheduled dates past the Puerto Rico date.
And since no tour dates were scheduled for TBF how did he quit them? Even if he "faked" his hip injury.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Wed May 09, 2018 5:51 am

Perry didnt quit the ROR tour, he just didnt want to do a second leg.

JC said himself in his book the tour was supposed to be 40 shows. When Herbie booked 15 more, that's when SP pulled out.
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed May 09, 2018 5:53 am

perryfan61 wrote:Makes total sense to me. If a reunion was in the cards, continuing his solo tour would have been counter-productive for sure.

Sure. Why cancel one tour when you can cancel two instead? Very productive indeed. :roll:
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed May 09, 2018 5:58 am

perryfan61 wrote:Perry didnt quit the ROR tour, he just didnt want to do a second leg.

JC said himself in his book the tour was supposed to be 40 shows. When Herbie booked 15 more, that's when SP pulled out.

Ah, so SP "pulled out" but did not quit. Got it. :roll:
The attempts at semantic jujitsu here is quite amusing. As a big Perry fan, there is no shame in being objective about what happened. Not only did SP quit ROR, he quit the band.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby marco17 » Wed May 09, 2018 6:19 am

Art Vandelay wrote:So I'm checking out the "LOOK INSIDE" preview pages on Amazon.
Page 18 (second page of chapter one), fifteen lines down:
"Neil Schon and his soaring guitar…"
N-E-I-L ?!?!?! The proofreader dropped the ball just two pages into chapter one. :shock: :lol:

Oh Jesus... Neal will blow up his Twitter feed when he hears about this... and then say he was hacked! :D
marco17
8 Track

Postby perryfan61 » Wed May 09, 2018 6:55 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
perryfan61 wrote:Makes total sense to me. If a reunion was in the cards, continuing his solo tour would have been counter-productive for sure.

Sure. Why cancel one tour when you can cancel two instead? Very productive indeed. :roll:

Ah, so you are saying SP could see into the future, and know that he would need hip surgery, and thus have to take some unexpected time off.

If it wasn't productive, it also wasn't his fault. And after all, we did get a new album out of the deal.
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby perryfan61 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:00 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
perryfan61 wrote:Perry didnt quit the ROR tour, he just didnt want to do a second leg.

Ah, so SP "pulled out" but did not quit. Got it. :roll:
The attempts at semantic jujitsu here is quite amusing. As a big Perry fan, there is no shame in being objective about what happened. Not only did SP quit ROR, he quit the band.

I consider myself to be very objective about what happened. The only difference is I accept what happened, and don't hold it against the man. Only he knows what he was going through, and I don't presume to judge him about that.

Am I sorry that he quit the band? Of course I am. But I don't take every opportunity to ridicule him for his decision.
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed May 09, 2018 8:42 am

perryfan61 wrote:Ah, so you are saying SP could see into the future, and know that he would need hip surgery, and thus have to take some unexpected time off.

By the time of TBF, Perry had left Journey hanging since 1986.

perryfan61 wrote:If it wasn't productive, it also wasn't his fault. And after all, we did get a new album out of the deal.

Journey was already re-forming with Gregg and Kevin when Perry came back. Perry's return was a waste of time.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby perryfan61 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:45 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
perryfan61 wrote:Ah, so you are saying SP could see into the future, and know that he would need hip surgery, and thus have to take some unexpected time off.

By the time of TBF, Perry had left Journey hanging since 1986.

perryfan61 wrote:If it wasn't productive, it also wasn't his fault. And after all, we did get a new album out of the deal.

Journey was already re-forming with Gregg and Kevin when Perry came back. Perry's return was a waste of time.

I'm sorry, but an album with Gregg and Kevin would not have been near as good as the one we got with Perry, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way. With him out of the writing mix, it would have been OK, but that's it.

I don't consider that album to be "a waste of time", by any means.
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed May 09, 2018 2:53 pm

perryfan61 wrote:I'm sorry, but an album with Gregg and Kevin would not have been near as good as the one we got with Perry, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way. With him out of the writing mix, it would have been OK, but that's it.

It was a comeback album. The plan was to tour. Not to go back into hibernation.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu May 10, 2018 12:34 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
perryfan61 wrote:I'm sorry, but an album with Gregg and Kevin would not have been near as good as the one we got with Perry, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way. With him out of the writing mix, it would have been OK, but that's it.

It was a comeback album. The plan was to tour. Not to go back into hibernation.

The plan was to write and record new material during their Vegas stint last year, but that apparently didn't happen either.
It's easy for all of us to criticize events after the fact…but the outcome of the 'cancelled' tours were probably not as predetermined as history makes it sound.
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

PreviousNext

Return to Journey