Cain talks about (another) new album and new Journey album

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Cain talks about (another) new album and new Journey album

Postby ScarabFan » Fri May 18, 2018 8:08 am

https://www.billboard.com/amp/articles/ ... ssion=true

As he prepares to release his own new album The Songs You Leave Behind -- a compendium of both new and older material whose title track is premiering exclusively below -- next month, Jonathan Cain is also feeling optimistic about some new Journey music in the future.

"I'd like to revisit that," Cain tells Billboard. "I'm in a good place musically, mentally, spiritually. I'd like to get with Neal (Schon) and find out what he's got on his mind, get with Arnel (Pineda) and just start gathering (material) and see what we've got." Cain is hopeful that opportunity will come during Journey's summer tour with Def Leppard and the Pretenders and lead to hitting the studio -- preferably Cain's own in Nashville, where he has the Record Plant console on which Journey made 1986's Raised On Radio -- later this year.

"After this tour we may have a window to do it," Cain says. "It could be a great record. I can almost see it in my mind. I couldn't tell you that a year ago."

Last year, of course, Journey was curiously embattled following its April induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Some social media posts by Schon and aimed primarily at Cain pointed to a band at odds. But that's apparently not the case anymore.

"Neal and I have reset," reports Cain, who claimed to be baffled by the issues last year and says he's not addressed them any further now. "We didn't even talk about it. We don't have to. It's over. It was a big misunderstanding to a large degree. We didn't have to explain it. Time heals everything. The music's bigger than those kinds of disagreements. When I walked into the room for rehearsals I could see (Schon) was ready to go again. He's excited to go out there and play together, and I think the brotherhood is restored in a good way."

With Journey back on the road May 21, Cain will bring out The Songs You Leave Behind on June 8. Inspired by his 2017 memoir Don't Stop Believin'..., the 19-track album combines songs from his pre-Journey career, some of which were companion pieces for the audio version of the book, and seven never before released tracks, including "What Else Have I Missed," which is dedicated to Cain's children, and "The Songs You Leave Behind."

"I finished (the title track) the day I spent making a video about the book," Cain recalls. "I was driving home from Nashville to Orlando and I was just, like, hit with this song. I probably wrote in in 20 minutes, just like boom boom boom. I wrote 'Faithfully' like that, a 20-minute tune, automatic and effortless. It's just me saying you'll be remembered for the songs you leave behind; As a songwriter and having the blessings and the success I've had, that's all I can hope for, y'know?"

Cain calls The Songs You Leave Behind "a very personal album" and is also happy to have a vehicle for '70s material that's gone out of print over the years. The set includes several faith-based songs, while the wrenching "The Day They Became Angels" recalls the 1958 fire at his parochial school in Chicago that killed 92 of his classmates and was written for the 50th anniversary commemoration of the tragedy.

"These songs weren't written to be hits," Cain says. "They weren't written to be commercial. They're just telling a story. You have to define yourself -- Who is Jonathan Cain? Who is the guy who wrote 'Faithfully?' I wanted to find that guy again, what's his story? If I didn't get all these songs done and recorded and out, I wouldn't have felt complete. It was something I had to do."
ScarabFan
Ol' 78

Re: Cain talks about (another) new album and new Journey alb

Postby Abitaman » Fri May 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Anyone read anything from the book yet?
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat May 19, 2018 12:34 am

ScarabFan wrote:https://www.billboard.com/amp/articles/columns/rock/8456506/jonathan-cain-the-songs-you-leave-behind-premiere?__twitter_impression=true

As he prepares to release his own new album The Songs You Leave Behind -- a compendium of both new and older material whose title track is premiering exclusively below -- next month, Jonathan Cain is also feeling optimistic about some new Journey music in the future.

"I'd like to revisit that," Cain tells Billboard. "I'm in a good place musically, mentally, spiritually. I'd like to get with Neal (Schon) and find out what he's got on his mind, get with Arnel (Pineda) and just start gathering (material) and see what we've got." Cain is hopeful that opportunity will come during Journey's summer tour with Def Leppard and the Pretenders and lead to hitting the studio -- preferably Cain's own in Nashville, where he has the Record Plant console on which Journey made 1986's Raised On Radio -- later this year.

"After this tour we may have a window to do it," Cain says. "It could be a great record. I can almost see it in my mind. I couldn't tell you that a year ago."

Last year, of course, Journey was curiously embattled following its April induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Some social media posts by Schon and aimed primarily at Cain pointed to a band at odds. But that's apparently not the case anymore.

I wonder who did guitar on this new solo tune? Neal's son maybe?

"Neal and I have reset," reports Cain, who claimed to be baffled by the issues last year and says he's not addressed them any further now. "We didn't even talk about it. We don't have to. It's over. It was a big misunderstanding to a large degree. We didn't have to explain it. Time heals everything. The music's bigger than those kinds of disagreements. When I walked into the room for rehearsals I could see (Schon) was ready to go again. He's excited to go out there and play together, and I think the brotherhood is restored in a good way."

With Journey back on the road May 21, Cain will bring out The Songs You Leave Behind on June 8. Inspired by his 2017 memoir Don't Stop Believin'..., the 19-track album combines songs from his pre-Journey career, some of which were companion pieces for the audio version of the book, and seven never before released tracks, including "What Else Have I Missed," which is dedicated to Cain's children, and "The Songs You Leave Behind."

"I finished (the title track) the day I spent making a video about the book," Cain recalls. "I was driving home from Nashville to Orlando and I was just, like, hit with this song. I probably wrote in in 20 minutes, just like boom boom boom. I wrote 'Faithfully' like that, a 20-minute tune, automatic and effortless. It's just me saying you'll be remembered for the songs you leave behind; As a songwriter and having the blessings and the success I've had, that's all I can hope for, y'know?"

Cain calls The Songs You Leave Behind "a very personal album" and is also happy to have a vehicle for '70s material that's gone out of print over the years. The set includes several faith-based songs, while the wrenching "The Day They Became Angels" recalls the 1958 fire at his parochial school in Chicago that killed 92 of his classmates and was written for the 50th anniversary commemoration of the tragedy.

"These songs weren't written to be hits," Cain says. "They weren't written to be commercial. They're just telling a story. You have to define yourself -- Who is Jonathan Cain? Who is the guy who wrote 'Faithfully?' I wanted to find that guy again, what's his story? If I didn't get all these songs done and recorded and out, I wouldn't have felt complete. It was something I had to do."

Thanks for posting. I like Cain's new attitude about new music. Hope it isn't just lip service. New Cain solo album with mostly non-religious tunes sounds good too.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby JourneyHard » Sat May 19, 2018 7:08 am

This sounds great. Idea for title of new Journey Album: Redemption.

It should start with a rocker and end with a rocker and have three rockers in the middle somewhere, and the rest of it can be anything Jon wants. Maybe there could even be a song called Redemption, too.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby journel » Sat May 19, 2018 12:50 pm

Neal will disagree with REDEMPTION...
He'll suggest PERDITION instead :twisted:
journel
Ol' 78

Postby lparn » Sat May 19, 2018 4:46 pm

Thanks for posting. I like Cain's new attitude about new music. Hope it isn't just lip service. New Cain solo album with mostly non-religious tunes sounds good too.[/quote]

Am looking forward to hearing this,cd and new journey
lparn
45 RPM

Postby ebake02 » Sun May 20, 2018 12:54 pm

I’ll believe it when I see that new journey album on store shelves.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun May 20, 2018 11:21 pm

ebake02 wrote:I’ll believe it when I see that new journey album on store shelves.

Go to any Walmart and you can find dozens of unsold Eclipse copies gathering dust. And I say that as a huge Eclipse fan.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby ebake02 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:20 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
ebake02 wrote:I’ll believe it when I see that new journey album on store shelves.

Go to any Walmart and you can find dozens of unsold Eclipse copies gathering dust. And I say that as a huge Eclipse fan.

I can only see a new album selling well if it sounds like the dirty dozen. The casual bandwagon Journey fans that make up 99% of the crowd these days only want to hear that kind of Journey music. I love Eclipse too myself but unfortunately we are vastly outnumbered but the ones that still bitch and moan that it’s not Journey without Steve perry.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon May 21, 2018 12:25 am

ebake02 wrote:
I can only see a new album selling well if it sounds like the dirty dozen.

Plenty of stuff on Arrival sounded like Dirty Dozen-lite. Still didn't fly off the shelves. There are alot of variables when it comes to a hit record. Revelation was a hit. But it was accompanied by the biggest Journey publicity push in recent history. It even got reviewed in the Wall Street Journal.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby ebake02 » Mon May 21, 2018 1:03 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
ebake02 wrote:
I can only see a new album selling well if it sounds like the dirty dozen.

Plenty of stuff on Arrival sounded like Dirty Dozen-lite. Still didn't fly off the shelves. There are alot of variables when it comes to a hit record. Revelation was a hit. But it was accompanied by the biggest Journey publicity push in recent history. It even got reviewed in the Wall Street Journal.

And unfortunately there’s no feel good story to push behind like there was back then with Arnel. All we have now are Neal’s tantrums on Twitter and the bad PR about the supposed tension between him and Jon.
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby BRETT5150 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:26 pm

New album please
What is understood need not be discussed
BRETT5150
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue May 22, 2018 12:19 pm

Just read that it's Miles Schon on the new Cain single. Figured as much. That's gotta drive Neal mad.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Gideon » Tue May 22, 2018 12:40 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Just read that it's Miles Schon on the new Cain single. Figured as much. That's gotta drive Neal mad.

Apparently Neal and Miles were at each other's throats a while back?
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Return to Journey