Steve Perry On American Idol Tonight

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Steve Perry On American Idol Tonight

Postby JourneyHard » Mon May 21, 2018 12:04 pm

I know nobody will believe me because of my April Fools joke, but Steve Perry was on American Idol tonight. I wonder if people on West Coast can catch it. Anyway, I was flipping through channels and I don't even watch the show, but I heard somebody say Steve Perry and I had to go back and watch and it was Steve Perry and he told one of the singers who sang Don't Stop Believin' that she did a great job. That's all. He didn't sing or anything. He just surprised the singer.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Re: Steve Perry On American Idol Tonight

Postby Gideon » Mon May 21, 2018 12:15 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K1RDJsSUb4

Yep, cool moment. But her performance was meh.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby lparn » Mon May 21, 2018 12:31 pm

Was just going to post the link
Awesome seeing him
lparn
45 RPM

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue May 22, 2018 4:51 am

SP looks good and was throwing around nothing but mouth service because that performance was butchered and lacked any sign of emotion...

...and I'm from Pittsburgh. Meh.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Tue May 22, 2018 6:12 am

Even if he thought it was just okay (which I thought) he seemed gracious. But to call it best version ever? No :D

There has to be some reason he showed. Had to know she was going to sing it (of course).
Either to sell another million copies to the bro country crowd or to promote something. Hope its the latter.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby slucero » Tue May 22, 2018 8:55 am

man the kid mangled that song..

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue May 22, 2018 12:15 pm

I thought she was pretty great. Strong pipes.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:21 pm

JourneyHard wrote:I know nobody will believe me because of my April Fools joke, but Steve Perry was on American Idol tonight. I wonder if people on West Coast can catch it. Anyway, I was flipping through channels and I don't even watch the show, but I heard somebody say Steve Perry and I had to go back and watch and it was Steve Perry and he told one of the singers who sang Don't Stop Believin' that she did a great job. That's all. He didn't sing or anything. He just surprised the singer.

Well...that's what you get. JUST KIDDING!
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby lparn » Tue May 22, 2018 4:37 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:I thought she was pretty great. Strong pipes.

I agree
lparn
45 RPM

Postby JourneyLFN » Tue May 22, 2018 10:59 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:I thought she was pretty great. Strong pipes.

I agree too
JourneyLFN
Radio Waves

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue May 22, 2018 11:57 pm

Strong pipes. Good singer. Bland rendition of DSB. Bland at best and I was looking forward to it since she belted out some good tunes throughout the show.

SP phoned-in his own critique but it was still great to see him attend. Rare. I hope he enjoys more mega millions from DSB after this spike on the show.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Aaron » Wed May 23, 2018 12:31 am

Didn't get her rendition, loved seeing Steve. Why is he in the public eye now? He's been in hiding for a long time.
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Wed May 23, 2018 5:59 am

I turned on the American Idol Finale on Monday Night just for kicks. I just watched the very beginning and Ryan Seacrest said, "Next, we will have a performance by Journey!" I almost had a heart attack. Then I learned some girl has the name Jurnee.

Let me see. I can get this girl to tour with me and then I can tour as Jurnee and get a lot of people to come see my band, and Neal and boys cannot stop me because that is her legal name! :D

Joe Sixpack will say, "Def Leppard spells their name weird. Maybe Journey is being cool now and changed their name to Jurnee. I am getting tickets for all my family and friends!'

I am going to be so rich. :D
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby marco17 » Thu May 24, 2018 5:56 am

Perry always seems to surface around the time Journey goes on tour for some reason. My guess is that someone big at ABC knows Perry or has a good enough contact to coerce him to make an appearance.
marco17
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu May 24, 2018 7:30 am

marco17 wrote:Perry always seems to surface around the time Journey goes on tour for some reason. My guess is that someone big at ABC knows Perry or has a good enough contact to coerce him to make an appearance.

Remember, allegedly SP gets paid as if he is on the stage. Is it unreasonable to think that he gets a higher percentage if they sell out every night? Food for thought.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby ebake02 » Fri May 25, 2018 2:14 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
marco17 wrote:Perry always seems to surface around the time Journey goes on tour for some reason. My guess is that someone big at ABC knows Perry or has a good enough contact to coerce him to make an appearance.

Remember, allegedly SP gets paid as if he is on the stage. Is it unreasonable to think that he gets a higher percentage if they sell out every night? Food for thought.

Not unreasonable at all. One of his very rare public appearances happens to be at the same time Journey kicks off a major cash cow tour? Seems awfully convenient to me.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Fri May 25, 2018 2:29 pm

Herbie Herbert said all five members of Journey always got paid the same. So, that is 20% each. Then Perry kicks Ross and Smith out of the band, and suddenly he is getting 33% along with Jon and Neal. Then he forces them to cut him in for a payday for all future tours when he is sitting at home. That is even better. If this is all true, Perry might be the smartest one of them all.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby scarab » Fri May 25, 2018 10:36 pm

JourneyHard wrote:Herbie Herbert said all five members of Journey always got paid the same. So, that is 20% each. Then Perry kicks Ross and Smith out of the band, and suddenly he is getting 33% along with Jon and Neal. Then he forces them to cut him in for a payday for all future tours when he is sitting at home. That is even better. If this is all true, Perry might be the smartest one of them all.

And if you go to NetWorth he is also the richest. Not to bad for a guy who hasnt "worked" since 1995. :D
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Pacfanweb » Sat May 26, 2018 12:50 am

ebake02 wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Yep, it's in his best interest that Journey tours sell well.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat May 26, 2018 2:56 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Interesting theory, TNC! However there is no mention during this segment of the Journey tour, and I doubt if anyone (even in Idol world) would expect to see Steve or the Idol contestant make a special appearance on the tour. So I don't see the tour benefitting that much from this.

My hunch would be that he appeared to get his name and face back into the public eye for some reason, especially for those who watch Idol and purchase today's music, but may not be familiar with him personally.

I guess we shall see...
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby Shadowsong » Sat May 26, 2018 7:58 pm

Well that was interesting! Steve is looking great but he was using his "I'm here & I'm trying to be nice voice" :lol:

I don't follow AI but I was not impressed. She sounds like a chipmunk with decent vibrato but she's off key & nothing special...OMG!!!

:shock:
~Shadow~

There is a seed within called hope
Waiting for the chance to grow
There's forever flowing from your soul
Waiting for the spirit to be flown
Shadowsong
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:17 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
Interesting theory, TNC! However there is no mention during this segment of the Journey tour, and I doubt if anyone (even in Idol world) would expect to see Steve or the Idol contestant make a special appearance on the tour. So I don't see the tour benefitting that much from this.

My hunch would be that he appeared to get his name and face back into the public eye for some reason, especially for those who watch Idol and purchase today's music, but may not be familiar with him personally.

I guess we shall see...

Exactly right Art. This was Steve's management getting Steve back out at a pace that is agreeable with him. Remember, him and Katy Perry now since February share the same management company AND Lionel and Steve go WAY back. Way more likely is that Lionel worked with Steve's management and worked with Steve personally to seal the deal. There is a picture of a AI staff member telling Steve what is going to happen after she sings the song. He was a complete surprise to her but not to Lionel as he pointed him out before ANYONE. The audience showed him A LOT of love.

Way way more more to this than hello world I'm not dead. This helps him to reach a wider audience EASILY; as you quite astutely pointed out, a new audience that might not know him personally...work smarter, NOT harder.

P.S....Even though Gabby, along with many others that stood up out of their seats to turn around to stare, are part of that new audience and new generation that DO know him. I used to teach dance and as soon as I said DSB they knew who I was talking about...and those kids were under 15. Cha ching for Steve.
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby annie89509 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:03 am

Just having loud pipes don't make you a great singer. Guess the bar rightfully is set lower for amateurs. Had to cringe when SP made that statement about it being the best he had ever heard. C'mon ... that's ridiculous.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby Marabelle » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:46 am

Well his management company is doing a great job! He’s getting a lot of publicity, emphasizing that he can smile and hug and not be struck by lightning while he did it and have a reunion with an old friend! :lol:
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby Shadowsong » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:41 am

Marabelle wrote:Well his management company is doing a great job! He’s getting a lot of publicity, emphasizing that he can smile and hug and not be struck by lightning while he did it and have a reunion with an old friend! :lol:

Don;t forget he can tell little white lies of complimentary insincere courtesy & his nose won;t grow!
:mrgreen:
~Shadow~

There is a seed within called hope
Waiting for the chance to grow
There's forever flowing from your soul
Waiting for the spirit to be flown
Shadowsong
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:32 am

Michael Bolton was on Beat Shazam last night. They just talk to him for a minute or two. If Steve Perry shows up on an upcoming episode, it might be a sign he will drop his new album soon.

How does Shazam work? Do they have to program songs into it? I am thinking it cannot know new songs unless they are programmed in.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:13 am

JourneyHard wrote:Michael Bolton was on Beat Shazam last night. They just talk to him for a minute or two. If Steve Perry shows up on an upcoming episode, it might be a sign he will drop his new album soon.

How does Shazam work? Do they have to program songs into it? I am thinking it cannot know new songs unless they are programmed in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxQ-Ltfs9ds
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:16 am

tater1977 wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:Michael Bolton was on Beat Shazam last night. They just talk to him for a minute or two. If Steve Perry shows up on an upcoming episode, it might be a sign he will drop his new album soon.

lol
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:37 am

JourneyHard wrote:
tater1977 wrote:

lol

:mrgreen: :lol:
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Return to Journey