Traces

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Traces

Postby ADALBL » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:14 pm

Good grief - enough with the obsession with the rhyme scheme already. Go back and listen to the verses in I’ll Be Alright Without You - not a rhyme to be found and most think that is one of Journey’s better songs. As a songwriter myself, there is a lot to love about this song. Part of what makes it so great is that in spite of the fact it contains many layers both sonically and lyrically, they are so well put together that it comes across as far more simple than it actually. I could write a long, analytical post about the song but for now, I’m just gonna say I love it. It was exactly what I hoped the first single would be which is a positive, uplifting, incredibly catchy song with great feel (not quantized to the point of being sterile - in fact there is clearly no quantizing anywhere near this song) that shows off that Steve still sings amazingly well - and with no AutoTune thank God! If this ends up being the “worst song” on the record then it will probably be the greatest record of all time! I love it more each time I hear it and I loved it the first time I heard it.
ADALBL
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:54 am
Location: Norristown, PA - USA

Re: Traces

Postby shaneslatts » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:55 pm

ADALBL wrote:Good grief - enough with the obsession with the rhyme scheme already. Go back and listen to the verses in I’ll Be Alright Without You - not a rhyme to be found and most think that is one of Journey’s better songs. As a songwriter myself, there is a lot to love about this song. Part of what makes it so great is that in spite of the fact it contains many layers both sonically and lyrically, they are so well put together that it comes across as far more simple than it actually. I could write a long, analytical post about the song but for now, I’m just gonna say I love it. It was exactly what I hoped the first single would be which is a positive, uplifting, incredibly catchy song with great feel (not quantized to the point of being sterile - in fact there is clearly no quantizing anywhere near this song) that shows off that Steve still sings amazingly well - and with no AutoTune thank God! If this ends up being the “worst song” on the record then it will probably be the greatest record of all time! I love it more each time I hear it and I loved it the first time I heard it.


I agree.
I just plain "liked it" right out of the box, the same way I liked "Lights".
The same way I liked "Oh Sherri".
I guess I'm a loon....I also like anything put together by Elton John and Bernie Taupin.Not comparing the songwriting capabilities here just sayin for whatever reason certain songwriters and arangers speak to each of us more than others.
In Perry's case, it's a combination of his voice matched with his lyrics with how he produces it matched with his final take on a song. It's only then he sends that song on its journey to us..AFTER it passes through his gate.
These songs are like his children to him, you can sense that...He's reluctant to let them go.
You just get the sense that Steve is giving you his best take on a song...Anything less to him is simply unacceptable.
I just have never gotten that life or death commitment from a Journey song post Perry.
I think they miss him in the mix more than he misses them.

Having said that,I wish Steve would do something "Journeyesque" with Mr. Schon... The guy is a musical Genius.
shaneslatts
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:02 am

Re: Traces

Postby FamilyMan » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:19 am

Best part of the song for me is the bridge. Love how its mixed sonically. No one mixes harmonies better than Steve Perry. Nothing from the Journey camp (Arrival/Revelation/Eclipse) has come close to this. SP seems to genuinely understand the engineering of a record much more than Elson or those who produced for post-Perry Journey. The most encouraging thing I've heard Steve say is that he built the studio in his home. Would he do that all just for one album? Hopefully, he plans to do more.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:11 am

Re: Traces

Postby slucero » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:09 am

shaneslatts wrote:
ADALBL wrote:Good grief - enough with the obsession with the rhyme scheme already. Go back and listen to the verses in I’ll Be Alright Without You - not a rhyme to be found and most think that is one of Journey’s better songs. As a songwriter myself, there is a lot to love about this song. Part of what makes it so great is that in spite of the fact it contains many layers both sonically and lyrically, they are so well put together that it comes across as far more simple than it actually. I could write a long, analytical post about the song but for now, I’m just gonna say I love it. It was exactly what I hoped the first single would be which is a positive, uplifting, incredibly catchy song with great feel (not quantized to the point of being sterile - in fact there is clearly no quantizing anywhere near this song) that shows off that Steve still sings amazingly well - and with no AutoTune thank God! If this ends up being the “worst song” on the record then it will probably be the greatest record of all time! I love it more each time I hear it and I loved it the first time I heard it.


I agree.
I just plain "liked it" right out of the box, the same way I liked "Lights".
The same way I liked "Oh Sherri".
I guess I'm a loon....I also like anything put together by Elton John and Bernie Taupin.Not comparing the songwriting capabilities here just sayin for whatever reason certain songwriters and arangers speak to each of us more than others.
In Perry's case, it's a combination of his voice matched with his lyrics with how he produces it matched with his final take on a song. It's only then he sends that song on its journey to us..AFTER it passes through his gate.
These songs are like his children to him, you can sense that...He's reluctant to let them go.
You just get the sense that Steve is giving you his best take on a song...Anything less to him is simply unacceptable.
I just have never gotten that life or death commitment from a Journey song post Perry.
I think they miss him in the mix more than he misses them.

Having said that,I wish Steve would do something "Journeyesque" with Mr. Schon... The guy is a musical Genius.



Perry has said that a lot of what was used on the recordings were the 1st takes... because many times the 1st pass is the best.. even if its just done when demo-ing ideas.

This means some of the vocal takes are already a couple years old.

I also agree.. its poetic licence... Perry has earned the right to use it.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.


~Albert Einstein
User avatar
slucero
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5444
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:17 pm

Re: Traces

Postby Gideon » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:19 am

slucero wrote:
Gideon wrote:Thanks jrny84 and Marabelle.

JourneyHard wrote:The naysayers say Steve Perry wrote No Erasin' wrong. It's his song. He can write it any way you want to write it. He likes the song the way he wrote it. This is why he didn't want to come back. Everybody is seconding guessing him and playing Monday Morning quarterback. Perry did a great job and will continue to do a great job.


If you’re referring to me, I’ll direct you to my long post on the previous page where I said I played the song on a continuous loop for hours with goosebumps. I’m happy as hell that he’s making music again.

That said, I’ve never apologized for criticizing something if I think it’s flawed - be it Cain, Schon, or even Steve Perry himself. And I’m not about to start now. The song is good, with an infectiously strong chorus and good vocals, but it’s not perfect by any stretch of the imagination or his best work.



Hey Gid... good to see ya posting again..

Something to remember is that listeners kinda get conditioned to hear lyrics a certain way.. and that usually is with "perfect rhyme", which resolves the strongest.

That 1st verse does have an unconventional rhyme structure:

I know it's been a long time comin'
Since I saw your face
It's been so long since we're together
In the back seat of your car



It definitely resolves in the chorus, where perfect rhyme is used 3 times, then imperfect rhyme on the last line.


No erasin'
I've felt this once before
No erasin'
No runnin' anymore
My soul's burnin'
Just like it was before
No erasin'
Our love just won't let go
Oh...



Sometimes songwriters use other rhyme forms... methinks that's what Perry is doing here... or at least he's not following convention.


Hey Sluc. Good to see you too. How's life?

I appreciate the analysis. Honestly, I'm OK with SP shirking convention. As ABALBL points out, IBAWY defers little to conventional rhyming structure and yet the lyrics and phrasing still conform to the melody of the song. But not the case for me on No Erasin'; SP sounds great and I love the hell out of that chorus, but I keep tripping over the verse and pre-chorus.

For me, this song reinforces two things: SP still has a lot to offer vocally and creatively, but that his individual efforts will never compare to the magic of what he, Schon, and Cain produced together.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
User avatar
Gideon
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:12 am
Location: Kentucky.

Re: Traces

Postby slucero » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:39 am

Gideon wrote:
Hey Sluc. Good to see you too. How's life?

I appreciate the analysis. Honestly, I'm OK with SP shirking convention. As ABALBL points out, IBAWY defers little to conventional rhyming structure and yet the lyrics and phrasing still conform to the melody of the song. But not the case for me on No Erasin'; SP sounds great and I love the hell out of that chorus, but I keep tripping over the verse and pre-chorus.

For me, this song reinforces two things: SP still has a lot to offer vocally and creatively, but that his individual efforts will never compare to the magic of what he, Schon, and Cain produced together.



Hey Gid!

Doin good.

I think Perry's just getting started. We all know there's no way he'd let this out if it wasn't' stellar. He's been recording this since May 2015. IMHO that alone tells me we're in for some really great material.

I don't think Perry, Schon and Cain can really "go back" and re-capture the magic they once had.. circumstances are different, they've all grown apart, and are in different places in their lives now.

I DO think there's a possibility of Perry collaborating with Schon (maybe even Cain).. just not right away, as Traces is rightfully his focus.. and if you include any touring at all.. anything else is an easy year out..

What I'm most curious about is how he'll arrange doing Journey songs in his shows... full band or acoustic?

I would love to see Schon just show up one nite and the 2 of them do acoustic versions in the middle of the show... sort of like what Neal and Deen did at the "Journey Through Time Show" benefit (if you haven't seen these yer in for a treat) LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnWt0UicCy8

Deen has lived through so much... you can hear it in his voice.


Somewhere Deeno (R,I.P.) is fucking grinnin his ass off at Perry returning...
Last edited by slucero on Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.


~Albert Einstein
User avatar
slucero
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5444
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:17 pm

Re: Traces

Postby ADALBL » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:44 am

Gideon wrote:Thanks jrny84 and Marabelle.

JourneyHard wrote:The naysayers say Steve Perry wrote No Erasin' wrong. It's his song. He can write it any way you want to write it. He likes the song the way he wrote it. This is why he didn't want to come back. Everybody is seconding guessing him and playing Monday Morning quarterback. Perry did a great job and will continue to do a great job.


If you’re referring to me, I’ll direct you to my long post on the previous page where I said I played the song on a continuous loop for hours with goosebumps. I’m happy as hell that he’s making music again.

That said, I’ve never apologized for criticizing something if I think it’s flawed - be it Cain, Schon, or even Steve Perry himself. And I’m not about to start now. The song is good, with an infectiously strong chorus and good vocals, but it’s not perfect by any stretch of the imagination or his best work.



Hey Gid... good to see ya posting again..

Something to remember is that listeners kinda get conditioned to hear lyrics a certain way.. and that usually is with "perfect rhyme", which resolves the strongest.

That 1st verse does have an unconventional rhyme structure:

I know it's been a long time comin'
Since I saw your face
It's been so long since we're together
In the back seat of your car



It definitely resolves in the chorus, where perfect rhyme is used 3 times, then imperfect rhyme on the last line.


No erasin'
I've felt this once before
No erasin'
No runnin' anymore
My soul's burnin'
Just like it was before
No erasin'
Our love just won't let go
Oh...



Sometimes songwriters use other rhyme forms... methinks that's what Perry is doing here... or at least he's not following convention.[/quote]

Hey Sluc. Good to see you too. How's life?

I appreciate the analysis. Honestly, I'm OK with SP shirking convention. As ABALBL points out, IBAWY defers little to conventional rhyming structure and yet the lyrics and phrasing still conform to the melody of the song. But not the case for me on No Erasin'; SP sounds great and I love the hell out of that chorus, but I keep tripping over the verse and pre-chorus.

For me, this song reinforces two things: SP still has a lot to offer vocally and creatively, but that his individual efforts will never compare to the magic of what he, Schon, and Cain produced together.[/quote]

Hey Gideon - Thanks for thoughts. We will just have to agree to disagree on the verse/pre-chorus analysis of No Erasin'. One of the ways I always assess the lyrics of the song is by how good they feel to sing (I do sing some and write songs and the every part of the process fascinates me). A very famous lyric teacher once said the key to good lyrics is to follow the natural line of the language, which basically meant sing it the way the you would speak it (e.g. don't put the accent on the wrong syllable - yes sometimes you break the rules.) Once you have sung No Erasin' a few times, it feels so good to sing. I respect your opinion while respectfully having a different one. :D
ADALBL
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:54 am
Location: Norristown, PA - USA

Re: Traces

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:48 am

Perry's vocal nuances and articulations are so unique that he makes awkward lyrics sound like pure poetry - to my ears, at least.

Anyway, Andrew has reviewed the album on his Twitter account. Says it good, but mostly slow ballads.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14561
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: Traces

Postby Pacfanweb » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:10 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Perry's vocal nuances and articulations are so unique that he makes awkward lyrics sound like pure poetry - to my ears, at least.

Anyway, Andrew has reviewed the album on his Twitter account. Says it good, but mostly slow ballads.


And honestly, what else would anyone expect from a 70 year old pop singer? Another Lay It Down?
Pacfanweb
45 RPM
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:20 am

Re: Traces

Postby JourneyHard » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:40 am

I listened to No Erasin' again, and when I closed my eyes, he sounded like Arnel! :lol:

Just kidding!
JourneyHard
8 Track
 
Posts: 854
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:41 pm

Re: Traces

Postby jrny84 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:44 am

JourneyHard wrote:I listened to No Erasin' again, and when I closed my eyes, he sounded like Arnel! :lol:

Just kidding!


:shock: :P :shock:
User avatar
jrny84
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1070
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:43 am
Location: Michigan/Florida

Re: Traces

Postby shaneslatts » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:36 pm

Pacfanweb wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:Perry's vocal nuances and articulations are so unique that he makes awkward lyrics sound like pure poetry - to my ears, at least.

Anyway, Andrew has reviewed the album on his Twitter account. Says it good, but mostly slow ballads.


And honestly, what else would anyone expect from a 70 year old pop singer? Another Lay It Down?



Exactly.
In 1977 or 78 when I first heard "Lights", I was like how flipping clever...to force "City" and "bay" to rhyme by changing "city" to"citay".

All just to tell a story.
I can't get this new song "No eracin" out of my head.
It's like Perry is bringing something that has been missing from melodic rock back that's been AWOL for 25 years.
shaneslatts
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:02 am

Re: Traces

Postby Jana » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:18 am

I had no clue he was putting out new music. I think he sounds fantastic. I've only listened to it a few times so far. The song sounds like it's from the '90s, truthfully, but it's nice. It doesn't blow me away, but his voice makes it.

I watched his radio interview on YouTube. It was a great interview. I was going to pre-order the album on Amazon, but from reading this thread, I guess Target is the way to go. Two greats releasing albums this fall. I've really gotten into Paul McCartney's singles from Egypt Station, especially "I Don't Know," and am looking forward to his album dropping. And now, out of the blue, Steve Perry is releasing an album. I'm happy for him. I hope he does at least a few performances.
Last edited by Jana on Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jana
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 8227
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:21 pm
Location: Anticipating

Re: Traces

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:14 am

A small boy asked Steve Perry, "What's the difference between a pencil and a pen?"

Steve Perry answered, "With a pencil, you can correct mistakes. With a pen, there's no erasin'." :D


(I am sorry. I am crazy.)
JourneyHard
8 Track
 
Posts: 854
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:41 pm

Re: Traces

Postby brywool » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:45 am

Jana wrote: I've really gotten into Paul McCartney's singles from Egypt Station, especially "I Don't Know," and am looking forward to his album dropping.


This is the first time that I've heard new stuff from Paul that I'm not excited about. I hope the rest of the album is better than the pre-releases. I liked "New", but I hope there's still some magic in there for Egypt Station.
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
User avatar
brywool
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 7628
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:54 am

Re: Traces

Postby Greg » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:37 pm

So, No More Cryin' is released today. Looks like they shot the video for this on the same day they did the video for No Erasin'. Same "stage" setup and everything. Fine by me. Love this bluesy little riff! I'm really wanting to hear that Neal Schon/Steve Perry blues album get made now!
User avatar
Greg
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2315
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:16 am
Location: Stealth Mode

Re: Traces

Postby Ehwmatt » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:31 pm

As of right now, after about ten listens, No More Cryin' is very underwhelming. Boring and meandering song, no melodic or instrumental hooks. Pass.
User avatar
Ehwmatt
MP3
 
Posts: 10900
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Traces

Postby Memorex » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:07 pm

Ehwmatt wrote:As of right now, after about ten listens, No More Cryin' is very underwhelming. Boring and meandering song, no melodic or instrumental hooks. Pass.


Why do people always forget to add "In my opinion..." to these types of statements? Because in my opinion, I whole-heartedly disagree.
User avatar
Memorex
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3378
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:30 pm

Re: Traces

Postby Marabelle » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:28 am

IMO it’s always one of these hooks that gets me...the musicology, rhythmic beat, timing, how it makes me feel emotionally and the freakin flow. As I said in my last post, I was humming along dancing when I noticed the side eye and the jaunty way he put it all out there and then seemed to dare me to stay with him in that space. It was a dare I was happy to take although I was surprised he side eyed me because I got it. He didn’t need to tempt or taunt me because with that first beat, he had me with my head thrown back, hips moving, eyes closed and fingers snapping. Great song.
User avatar
Marabelle
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1697
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:29 pm

Re: Traces

Postby nylady » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:24 am

I know nothing about hooks, bridges or other parts of a song, I'm just a listener with no musical talents at all beyond hearing a song and deciding if I like it or not. Music tastes vary according to each individual. Some folks like classical, some are country fans, others love rap, hip-hop, pop, rock, etc. All I know is that this individual listener is loving what I'm hearing from Perry on these 2 songs and looking forward to the full album release.
nylady
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:27 am

Re: Traces

Postby SusieP » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:55 am

I love the intro to 'No More Crying' - and I like the bluesy feel of it - but I wanted to hear some dirty Blues Harp somewhere in there.
The song is crying ot for it ['scuse the pun.]
..................................


http://www.smoothduo.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/SuzeFromSmoothDuo/ Twitter @smoothduo
..................................
Rest In Peace Deano.
User avatar
SusieP
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2922
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:13 am
Location: up to no good in rainy Nottinghamshire, England

Re: Traces

Postby Greg » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:44 am

I like the song. The only thing I don't like about it is the type of organ played in the intro. I can picture Gregg Rolie playing a Hammond B-3 at the beginning instead of what was played. Of course, I think Neal would've laid down some nasty, bluesy guitar riffs. But, the song itself is right up Perry's alley. I think he sounds fantastic on this track.
User avatar
Greg
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2315
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:16 am
Location: Stealth Mode

Re: Traces

Postby Marabelle » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:49 am

To me the song puts me in a juke joint down somewhere in a city called Nawlins or Atlanta where there are peanuts piled high across the floor (believe they don't allow that anymore), I'm dancing barefoot, sweltering heat and people are twisting and turning all across the floor. You have sweat pouring off of you down your back, clothes plastered on your body, hair matted to your face and the music stirring the air just enough for you to move your body and saddle up to the man whose arms you are dancing in. I think he had a bit of this when he started off singing the song and maybe I took it another place but that is where I landed. And the side eye just sealed the deal. Good vibes. Good music. Great thoughts. Maybe that was where he intended for me to be; maybe not but that's my fantasy.
User avatar
Marabelle
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1697
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:29 pm

Re: Traces

Postby JourneyHard » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:33 am

Most of the time I don't like new songs the first time I hear them, but I like No More Cryin' from the first listen. Steve Perry is doing something special here. He is having fun, and that is what matters most.
JourneyHard
8 Track
 
Posts: 854
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:41 pm

Re: Traces

Postby slucero » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:44 am

Greg wrote:I like the song. The only thing I don't like about it is the type of organ played in the intro. I can picture Gregg Rolie playing a Hammond B-3 at the beginning instead of what was played. Of course, I think Neal would've laid down some nasty, bluesy guitar riffs. But, the song itself is right up Perry's alley. I think he sounds fantastic on this track.


That is a B3.... Dallas Kruse is the player on the song.. and he's also a B3 afficionado... his primary instrument is the B3

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.


~Albert Einstein
User avatar
slucero
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5444
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:17 pm

Re: Traces

Postby Greg » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:53 am

slucero wrote:
Greg wrote:I like the song. The only thing I don't like about it is the type of organ played in the intro. I can picture Gregg Rolie playing a Hammond B-3 at the beginning instead of what was played. Of course, I think Neal would've laid down some nasty, bluesy guitar riffs. But, the song itself is right up Perry's alley. I think he sounds fantastic on this track.


That is a B3.... Dallas Kruse is the player on the song.. and he's also a B3 afficionado... his primary instrument is the B3


Ah, Ok. I guess it's more of the "style" he played then. I guess I was thinking more "rock organ" type of sound, which I should get myself out of that train of thought. It's still a fantastic song to me and I'm glad to be hearing from Perry again.
User avatar
Greg
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2315
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:16 am
Location: Stealth Mode

Re: Traces

Postby Jana » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:41 am

I listened to the first single a few times and never went back. It felt dated. This second single is a home run, though. I love it and his singing on it, which is amazing. It's a standout.
Jana
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 8227
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:21 pm
Location: Anticipating

Re: Traces

Postby Ehwmatt » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:53 am

Memorex wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:As of right now, after about ten listens, No More Cryin' is very underwhelming. Boring and meandering song, no melodic or instrumental hooks. Pass.


Why do people always forget to add "In my opinion..." to these types of statements? Because in my opinion, I whole-heartedly disagree.


The first five seconds sounded very promising. Then the song goes nowhere fast. I like No Erasin' -- I like it a lot, actually. But this one just isn't growing on me. I was talking to Saint John via text and he put it well: there appears to be zero apparent chemistry between Perry and his studio band. I'm sure these guys are good players, but whether because Perry wanted them restrained or for whatever other reason, as Saint John pointed out, they are not elevating the songs at all. I'm not just talking about the lack of huge guitar solos or catchy piano riffs, either. There's just very little in the way of interesting instrumentation. We don't need a modern day Neal wankfest over every song, by any means, but there's just nothing ear-catching at all in these arrangements to my ears other than a couple nice vocal layers.
User avatar
Ehwmatt
MP3
 
Posts: 10900
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Traces

Postby slucero » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:10 pm

Greg wrote:
slucero wrote:
Greg wrote:I like the song. The only thing I don't like about it is the type of organ played in the intro. I can picture Gregg Rolie playing a Hammond B-3 at the beginning instead of what was played. Of course, I think Neal would've laid down some nasty, bluesy guitar riffs. But, the song itself is right up Perry's alley. I think he sounds fantastic on this track.


That is a B3.... Dallas Kruse is the player on the song.. and he's also a B3 afficionado... his primary instrument is the B3


Ah, Ok. I guess it's more of the "style" he played then. I guess I was thinking more "rock organ" type of sound, which I should get myself out of that train of thought. It's still a fantastic song to me and I'm glad to be hearing from Perry again.



B3's are capable of literally endless types of organ sounds... they use what are called "drawbars". According to Hammond:

The Hammond Organ has two sets of nine Drawbars, one for each manual. Each Drawbar consists of sine waves of different pitches (which means tone depth). Drawbars, often called Tonebars, are the heart and the basis of the renowned Hammond Sound and have been used since the first Hammond Organ Model A introduced in 1935.

Pulling a Drawbar out (towards you) will increase the volume in incremental steps from 0 (no sound) to 8 (maximum volume). Pushing the Drawbar in (away from you) decreases the volume of that Drawbar.

Image

Each Drawbar is marked with a number followed by a footage mark. For example, the first white drawbar is marked "8'". This is pipe organ terminology indicating that the pipe used to produce the lowest note on the keyboard on a pipe organ is actually eight feet long. The numbers from "1" to "8" on each Drawbar represent degrees of loudness - number 1 being the softest, and number 8 being the loudest.
Image

There are approximately 253,000,000 possible sound combinations that can be produced by these Drawbars.


Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.


~Albert Einstein
User avatar
slucero
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5444
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:17 pm

Re: Traces

Postby annie89509 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:51 pm

I so much want to love every song he does, especially now, which is really for us, because he has nothing to prove. But this new song, No More Cryin', doesn't do anything for me. No Erasin' has lots of hooks, this song doesn't. I agree with Ehmatt ... it's slow, meandering ... sorry.
User avatar
annie89509
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2830
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:55 am
Location: the big 5-8

PreviousNext

Return to Journey

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron