Traces

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Traces

Postby slucero » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:30 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Given his recent online behavior, I can't imagine anyone (much less Perry) wanting to work with Neal. It would be cool if it happened tho. I also think Perry's expressionism is pure. Having to collaborate with Neal's playing would probably be musically/creatively restrictive in a way.

Agree.

Neal strikes me as a real "heart on his sleeve" kinda guy, especially about his music. He's never lived a "normal-person" kind of adult life, and (IMHO because he's such a musical savant) when he discusses creating with someone like Perry... it comes out of him in an almost asberger-like fashion.

Music for Neal is like a dog with food.. he just can't stop eating, can't help himself. It's what makes him such a gifted musician, but also what offends some folks.

I think this gets lumped in with his other stuff... and a bit misconstrued.

just my .02 cents.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby steveo777 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:28 pm

slucero wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:Given his recent online behavior, I can't imagine anyone (much less Perry) wanting to work with Neal. It would be cool if it happened tho. I also think Perry's expressionism is pure. Having to collaborate with Neal's playing would probably be musically/creatively restrictive in a way.

Agree.

Neal strikes me as a real "heart on his sleeve" kinda guy, especially about his music. He's never lived a "normal-person" kind of adult life, and (IMHO because he's such a musical savant) when he discusses creating with someone like Perry... it comes out of him in an almost asberger-like fashion.

Music for Neal is like a dog with food.. he just can't stop eating, can't help himself. It's what makes him such a gifted musician, but also what offends some folks.

just my .02 cents.

Neal needs to take up a hobby for his down time, like sitting on a park bench feeding squirrels, or ducks, or perhaps, take up painting. Those things have a calming effect and put you in touch with your inner zen. :lol:

Perry seems to have found his inner peace. Why can't Neal?
steveo777
MP3

Postby Abitaman » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:12 pm

brywool wrote:Just glad he's done SOMETHING. I'm enjoying it.

The question I have is HOW will he be relevant to radio with the way that radio is so fragmented and screwed up format wise? Just like any band from that era, they can't get played on the radio. He might be an exception to that, but I'm not sure. I hope he is. But Journey had a tough time with that, Styx had a tough time with that, etc. I don't think it's because 'it's not all original members', I think it's due to a record company having the clout to do that. I dunno. Hope it does well for him.

On make it or break it or whatever they call it now...it had a 90% disapproval rating on Thursday. What I hated about it was they only played to the bridge then had everyone call in. Even the DJs were putting the song down. They were not saying it sucked or anything like that, it just wasn't very Journey like. Which, this is not Journey, it is Steve Perry.
The new song takes a few listens to take everything in. Playing part of the song is not how you introduce any new song to people.
Personally I liked it. I was smiling the first moment I heard him sing. The chorus had me hooked, too a few listens to get the rest of the songs. Still not a fan of the middle, but rest of the song is good.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:11 am

DCD wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:I wish interviewers would stop asking him about touring (solo, Journey, or whatever). Let's just enjoy what we have.

1000% agree! It makes me crazy when interviewers, reviews, anyone really, goes for the "now wouldn't it be great if" BS. It's been YEARS, enjoy it, embrace it!

Sorry, had to jump in! Long time lurker...

Welcome back!
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Gideon » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:17 am

Abitaman wrote:

The question I have is HOW will he be relevant to radio with the way that radio is so fragmented and screwed up format wise? Just like any band from that era, they can't get played on the radio. He might be an exception to that, but I'm not sure. I hope he is. But Journey had a tough time with that, Styx had a tough time with that, etc. I don't think it's because 'it's not all original members', I think it's due to a record company having the clout to do that. I dunno. Hope it does well for him.

On make it or break it or whatever they call it now...it had a 90% disapproval rating on Thursday. What I hated about it was they only played to the bridge then had everyone call in. Even the DJs were putting the song down. They were not saying it sucked or anything like that, it just wasn't very Journey like. Which, this is not Journey, it is Steve Perry.
The new song takes a few listens to take everything in. Playing part of the song is not how you introduce any new song to people.
Personally I liked it. I was smiling the first moment I heard him sing. The chorus had me hooked, too a few listens to get the rest of the songs. Still not a fan of the middle, but rest of the song is good.

I’m not a musician so the jargon is lost on me...
But I had the same issue: the chorus is great and he sounds good, but the parts leading into it were really labored after the first verse:
“I know it’s been a long time coming, since I saw your face” - good so far
“It’s been so long since we’re together...” - still good, but then he tacks on “in the backseat of your car” and it just throws the whole pacing off for me and doesn’t rhyme. The rest is plodding to me until we hit the chorus, which is strong as hell.

My buddy actually had the same reaction to that part independent of me. Anyone else trip over it?
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:52 am

The naysayers say Steve Perry wrote No Erasin' wrong. It's his song. He can write it any way you want to write it. He likes the song the way he wrote it. This is why he didn't want to come back. Everybody is seconding guessing him and playing Monday Morning quarterback. Perry did a great job and will continue to do a great job.

Also, in a radio interview Steve Perry said, "Now I'm working on the live version (of his voice.)"

I think he wants to tour. He has enough solo material now that he could do a concert with only his solo stuff. That would be cool. It would save me from hearing the dirty dozen again. Just sayin'
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby jrny84 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:09 am

I'm a HUGE Perry fan. He's hands down my favorite vocalist of all time. With that said, I do understand where Gideon is coming from. It may sound a bit awkward at first, but I think once you give the song a few chances, its a really great tune. Very catchy chorus and its got a great sentimental feel to it. I am just so thankful Steve is out there again and giving us music. At this point, he could release the phone book as a single and I would be happy lol. I missed his voice so much and never thought I would be able to hear him again. I am too young to have seen him with Journey and am very hopeful I can finally see him live in concert. I haven't been this excited in long time about buying an album and listening to new music.

I just hope people really appreciate him coming back and dipping his feet back in the music waters. The reception really seems to be mostly positive and people are so happy he's back out there again.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Re: Trac

Postby Marabelle » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:11 am

Criticism is good, makes you stronger and more determined. It’s an opinion and I have learned people usually choose to say whatever they please. It encourages creativity and inspired fantasy and I would imagine some acknowledgement that people are listening. My guess is that when you are as inspired as Mr Perry, those critical words are just nudges in helping him get to where he’s supposed to be.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby Gideon » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:17 pm

Thanks jrny84 and Marabelle.

JourneyHard wrote:The naysayers say Steve Perry wrote No Erasin' wrong. It's his song. He can write it any way you want to write it. He likes the song the way he wrote it. This is why he didn't want to come back. Everybody is seconding guessing him and playing Monday Morning quarterback. Perry did a great job and will continue to do a great job.

If you’re referring to me, I’ll direct you to my long post on the previous page where I said I played the song on a continuous loop for hours with goosebumps. I’m happy as hell that he’s making music again.

That said, I’ve never apologized for criticizing something if I think it’s flawed - be it Cain, Schon, or even Steve Perry himself. And I’m not about to start now. The song is good, with an infectiously strong chorus and good vocals, but it’s not perfect by any stretch of the imagination or his best work.
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby DCD » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:34 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
DCD wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:I wish interviewers would stop asking him about touring (solo, Journey, or whatever). Let's just enjoy what we have.

1000% agree! It makes me crazy when interviewers, reviews, anyone really, goes for the "now wouldn't it be great if" BS. It's been YEARS, enjoy it, embrace it!

Sorry, had to jump in! Long time lurker...

Welcome back!

Cheers! I couldn't help it. Perry is such an influence on my music, even way back to my White Sister days. The loon surfaced :wink:
DCD
Radio Waves

Postby slucero » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:06 pm

Gideon wrote:Thanks jrny84 and Marabelle.

JourneyHard wrote:The naysayers say Steve Perry wrote No Erasin' wrong. It's his song. He can write it any way you want to write it. He likes the song the way he wrote it. This is why he didn't want to come back. Everybody is seconding guessing him and playing Monday Morning quarterback. Perry did a great job and will continue to do a great job.

If you’re referring to me, I’ll direct you to my long post on the previous page where I said I played the song on a continuous loop for hours with goosebumps. I’m happy as hell that he’s making music again.

That said, I’ve never apologized for criticizing something if I think it’s flawed - be it Cain, Schon, or even Steve Perry himself. And I’m not about to start now. The song is good, with an infectiously strong chorus and good vocals, but it’s not perfect by any stretch of the imagination or his best work.

Hey Gid... good to see ya posting again..

Something to remember is that listeners kinda get conditioned to hear lyrics a certain way.. and that usually is with "perfect rhyme", which resolves the strongest.

That 1st verse does have an unconventional rhyme structure:

I know it's been a long time comin'
Since I saw your face
It's been so long since we're together
In the back seat of your car

It definitely resolves in the chorus, where perfect rhyme is used 3 times, then imperfect rhyme on the last line.

No erasin'
I've felt this once before
No erasin'
No runnin' anymore
My soul's burnin'
Just like it was before
No erasin'
Our love just won't let go
Oh...

Sometimes songwriters use other rhyme forms... methinks that's what Perry is doing here... or at least he's not following convention.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby steveo777 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:24 pm

I'm getting really excited to hear the rest of the tracks. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that this album goes platinum very quickly, due to the anticipation and excitement of the fans, who have waited patiently, for so long. The released video has close to 1.4 million views in just a few days. That will translate into a large number of album sales. Oh, yeah! This shit is better than if Elvis came back.
steveo777
MP3

Postby perryfan61 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:01 pm

steveo777 wrote:
slucero wrote:

Agree.

just my .02 cents.

Neal needs to take up a hobby for his down time, like sitting on a park bench feeding squirrels, or ducks, or perhaps, take up painting. Those things have a calming effect and put you in touch with your inner zen. :lol:

Perry took 20 some years away from the business, and by listening to the interviews, lots if therapy, to find his inner peace.

Neal can't take 20 days off. He is driven to write and perform, because he has no other life. That's the way he wants it, but it can't be easy to be around someone like that. Exhausting, I would imagine.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby EightyRock » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:09 pm

Neal said @ RRHOF that his wife has been on tour with him every day since the beginning (of their relationship?). How grueling would that be if you werent in the band or a paid tech/roadie?
EightyRock
8 Track

Postby perryfan61 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:14 pm

Gideon wrote:Thanks jrny84 and Marabelle.

I felt the same when I first heard the song....something seemed a bit off. Not being a musician, I wasn't sure what it was, but these comments explain it for me.

That being said, I still like the song. It definitely grows on you :D :)

I guess because we only got one song so far, and according to Lora, not the best one, we are analysing it to pieces. If we had gotten all 15, I'm pretty sure this one would be somewhere in the middle of our favourites. Can't wait to hear them all.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Abitaman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:08 am

steveo777 wrote: This shit is better than if Elvis came back.

Got that right!! I haven't felt this way in a log time about new music. I am ready to listen to it.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Pacfanweb » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:34 am

steveo777 wrote:

Neal never grew up, not truly. He's been doing this professionally, "in the bubble" since he was a teenager. He has never tasted adult life "out of the bubble" of the music industry. Ever. He basically went from prodigy right into a successful band from the start. He didn't have to do the proverbial "living out of his car/taking showers at groupies' houses/no money" thing that most bands that get big have done.

So all his life, since his formative years he's had people kissing his ass and telling him how great he is.

He's really never had to deal with "normal" issue like coworkers that are also "normal" and disagree with him....there's always been someone there to "handle" things like that, to keep the peace and keep things rolling.

So I'm not surprised at all that he kind of acts like a brat sometimes and spouts off. It's really kind of expected, IMO. That's not a knock, it's just how the dude's life has gone. And that certainly doesn't suck for him, I'm sure.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby Pacfanweb » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:37 am

perryfan61 wrote:Neal can't take 20 days off. He is driven to write and perform, because he has no other life. That's the way he wants it, but it can't be easy to be around someone like that. Exhausting, I would imagine.

I don't know. Traveling around the country in style, eating at the finest restaurants, staying at the nicest hotels, having people take care of everything for you and make sure you're okay, and all she has to do is look good and be there?

It's not like they're traveling around and renovating houses or restoring cars.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby perryfan61 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:30 am

Pacfanweb wrote:
perryfan61 wrote:Neal can't take 20 days off. He is driven to write and perform, because he has no other life. That's the way he wants it, but it can't be easy to be around someone like that. Exhausting, I would imagine.

I don't know. Traveling around the country in style, eating at the finest restaurants, staying at the nicest hotels, having people take care of everything for you and make sure you're okay, and all she has to do is look good and be there?

It takes a certain kind of person to be able to live like that....and not want a "normal" life to fall back into. Neal has given up a lot to stay in that life-style, and that's because he doesn't want a "normal" life. He doesn't know how to function if he's not on the road or in the studio.
That's why he couldn't understand why SP had to get back to a normal life. Neal can't relate to that in any way.
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Pacfanweb » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:35 pm

perryfan61 wrote:
Pacfanweb wrote:

It takes a certain kind of person to be able to live like that....and not want a "normal" life to fall back into. Neal has given up a lot to stay in that life-style, and that's because he doesn't want a "normal" life. He doesn't know how to function if he's not on the road or in the studio.
That's why he couldn't understand why SP had to get back to a normal life. Neal can't relate to that in any way.

True, but my comment you quoted was more about his wife, in response to the "can't be easy to be around someone like that" remark and an earlier comment about his wife being on tour with them all the time and it must be "grueling".
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby Greg » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:07 am

Gideon wrote:
Abitaman wrote:

I’m not a musician so the jargon is lost on me...
But I had the same issue: the chorus is great and he sounds good, but the parts leading into it were really labored after the first verse:
“I know it’s been a long time coming, since I saw your face” - good so far
“It’s been so long since we’re together...” - still good, but then he tacks on “in the backseat of your car” and it just throws the whole pacing off for me and doesn’t rhyme. The rest is plodding to me until we hit the chorus, which is strong as hell.

My buddy actually had the same reaction to that part independent of me. Anyone else trip over it?

Yes, I did at first. Seems like he could've used, "Now we're here again" or something that made the transition a bit smoother, but then again, it probably would've sounded too paint by numbers. Perry really seemed to wanna drive home the idea of getting into the backseat of a car - in which I'm thinking was probably a 4 door sedan and not a Mustang or Camaro, because after 40 years old, it's very hard climbing in and out of the backseat of something like that, LOL!
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:04 am

, but my comment you quoted was more about his wife, in response to the "can't be easy to be around someone like that" remark and an earlier comment about his wife being on tour with them all the time and it must be "grueling".

I think his wife knows the only way to keep him is to stay on the road with him. It can't be an easy life for her....but then again, she seems like the kind of gal who loves people catering to her every whim.

In that case, she probably thinks she's in heaven, not hell. :D :D :D
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Pacfanweb » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:46 am

perryfan61 wrote:, but my comment you quoted was more about his wife, in response to the "can't be easy to be around someone like that" remark and an earlier comment about his wife being on tour with them all the time and it must be "grueling".

I think his wife knows the only way to keep him is to stay on the road with him. It can't be an easy life for her....but then again, she seems like the kind of gal who loves people catering to her every whim.

In that case, she probably thinks she's in heaven, not hell. :D :D :D

Exactly. Her life suggests that she loves celebrity and chased it, and I suspect she now considers that she's attained it in some fashion.
And good for her.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby brywool » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:51 am

Greg wrote:
Yes, I did at first. Seems like he could've used, "Now we're here again" or something that made the transition a bit smoother, but then again, it probably would've sounded too paint by numbers. Perry really seemed to wanna drive home the idea of getting into the backseat of a car - in which I'm thinking was probably a 4 door sedan and not a Mustang or Camaro, because after 40 years old, it's very hard climbing in and out of the backseat of something like that, LOL!

The Caaaaaaaaar- line, when he drags it out irked me too. Not because it didn't rhyme but because it BARELY makes it into the pocket of the groove there. It only jumped out at me the first time I heard it. Then it was just part of the song.
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby STORY_TELLER » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:29 am

This is my good deed for the day guys:

Don't order the album via resellers. Go straight to Steve Perry's store on his web page. Why? Because it includes an instant download for No Erasin' -- AND -- more important -- You get two single track downloads prior to the album release.

From the Steve Perry store order confirmation email:

"You are entitled to a download of:
- *Available September 5th (CDT) at 12:00 AM* No More Cryin' INSTANT GRAT
- *Available September 21st (CDT) at 12:00 AM* We're Still Here INSTANT GRAT"

I was on vacation when I heard the news. First listen had me echoing Gideon's opinion. Second listen had me hooked, and now I have zero problems with the song. It's literally on repeat IN MY HEAD. Been going to YouTube as my radio source for repeated loops. Now I purchased the single and the deluxe extended album.

I love this song. I love Perry's vocals, his arrangements. The master of melody and emotion is back in fantastic form and I couldn't be happier.

Welcome back Steve MF Perry!
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby SusieP » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:01 am

perryfan61 wrote:

Perry took 20 some years away from the business, and by listening to the interviews, lots if therapy, to find his inner peace.

Neal can't take 20 days off. He is driven to write and perform, because he has no other life. That's the way he wants it, but it can't be easy to be around someone like that. Exhausting, I would imagine.

Neal also has several ex wives to fund.

Expensive, that.
:mrgreen:

http://www.smoothduo.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/SuzeFromSmoothDuo/ Twitter @smoothduo
Rest In Peace Deano.
SusieP
Stereo LP

Postby Greg » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:44 am

brywool wrote:
Greg wrote:

The Caaaaaaaaar- line, when he drags it out irked me too. Not because it didn't rhyme but because it BARELY makes it into the pocket of the groove there. It only jumped out at me the first time I heard it. Then it was just part of the song.

Yeah, the very first time I heard it, I was kind of like, "Steve, what are you doing?" Then after a few listens, it seemed to make sense to my ears. Looking very much forward to listening to the next couple of releases.
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby shaneslatts » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:47 am

First time I heard the song was when I got home, very late at night after work.
I really had no idea the record had dropped. I simply decided to check MR.com to see if anything was new, and BOOM there it was.

The second time I heard it, it was like being transported back in time.

Great Song, to me, the "backseat" line makes perfect sense.

Mr. Perry is telin a story... He did this kind of thing way back..
" Citay" rhyming with "Bay".

He's very unconventional.

If it doesn't rhyme, Perry will make it rhyme.

That's why he's Steve F'' enn Perry :D
shaneslatts
Ol' 78

Postby annie89509 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:10 am

Song is growing on me :D . Keep the analysis coming, guys.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby tammy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:06 pm

Agree about interviewers asking the touring question...wish they'd just let it be. He's like a cat..choosing when to get close. Never expected this much & just happy he's letting us listen to his songs.
tammy
Cassette Tape

PreviousNext

Return to Journey