New JSS cover of SP's What Was

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

New JSS cover of SP's What Was

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:47 am

https://youtu.be/k1IlX-vwEbs

Sounds good, but this has always been more of a dreary song. Odd choice to welcome Steve back. Again, shows what Jeff could do if given the chance in the band.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Re: New JSS cover of SP's What Was

Postby scarab » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:39 am

posted this down below and very cool for JSS to cover such a rare Perry song.
Another blow to Journey and their management that Jeff did not have that Journey "signature" sound.

Yes a somber song, but hoping JSS was thinking of this line,

"We'll never change what was"
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Rick » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:14 pm

Nailed it!
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby shaneslatts » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:01 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:https://youtu.be/k1IlX-vwEbs

Sounds good, but this has always been more of a dreary song. Odd choice to welcome Steve back. Again, shows what Jeff could do if given the chance in the band.

I'm a dreary kind of guy, so I liked it.
I love moody, dark stuff.
I also wish Journey had kept JSS...IMO they would have been a much better band, breaking new material than what they have become. I think much more interesting.
I may be wrong, but a few years ago Perry alluded to this somewhere.
shaneslatts
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:57 am

shaneslatts wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:https://youtu.be/k1IlX-vwEbs

I'm a dreary kind of guy, so I liked it.
I love moody, dark stuff.
I also wish Journey had kept JSS...IMO they would have been a much better band, breaking new material than what they have become. I think much more interesting.
I may be wrong, but a few years ago Perry alluded to this somewhere.

I think the writing would have been stronger. I re-listened to Eclipse on a long car ride yesterday. Some on Cain's lyrics are brilliant. Alot of them are crap. He is shouldering 100% of the writing duties. That said, all of the band's post-Perry releases (Arrival, Revelation etc) are stronger than SP's Traces.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby RedWingFan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:34 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
I think the writing would have been stronger. I re-listened to Eclipse on a long car ride yesterday. Some on Cain's lyrics are brilliant. Alot of them are crap. He is shouldering 100% of the writing duties. That said, all of the band's post-Perry releases (Arrival, Revelation etc) are stronger than SP's Traces.

Arrival definitely. Revelation maybe. Generations, Eclipse? :lol:
Wal-Mart has slapped $4 stickers on their Eclipse section at my store. Still a boatload of copies left. Might start swinging by the dumpster behind the store in the morning on my way to work and pick up a free copy soon.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Memorex » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:26 am

RedWingFan wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Wal-Mart has slapped $4 stickers on their Eclipse section at my store. Still a boatload of copies left. Might start swinging by the dumpster behind the store in the morning on my way to work and pick up a free copy soon.

Each of those albums got one listen from me. Just didn't grab me. I do listen to a couple things off Red 13.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:35 am

RedWingFan wrote:Arrival definitely. Revelation maybe. Generations, Eclipse? :lol:

As I said, ALL of Cain/Schon's post-Perry efforts have been stronger than Traces. Even the very spotty Generations. In some ways, Traces really magnifies Perry's weaknesses as a songwriter. Prolly should have collaborated with Randy Goodrum on more than one song. Regarding leftover inventory of Eclipse....who cares? Arrival also flopped and was panned in the press. Magazines like Entertainment Weekly hailed "DO stop believin!" Now these publications all kiss Journey's ass as some sort of pop cultural touchstone.

To me, an Eclipse song like, say, Tantra or Chain of Love, is leagues above anything on Traces. Musically and lyrically, it's an interesting album. Better production too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cguf6qtsEw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjz4bJl3hCM
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Sighlence » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:18 am

RedWingFan wrote:Wal-Mart has slapped $4 stickers on their Eclipse section at my store. Still a boatload of copies left. Might start swinging by the dumpster behind the store in the morning on my way to work and pick up a free copy soon.

Seen that yesterday. Picked it up, looked at it.....then tossed it back. I don't own anything post-TBF.
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:36 am

Sighlence wrote:Seen that yesterday. Picked it up, looked at it.....then tossed it back. I don't own anything post-TBF.

Great story. Thanks for sharing. Did you pick it up with your right hand or your left hand? How many fingers did you use?
Really captivating stuff. Thanks again. :roll:
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby jrny84 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:40 am

Memorex wrote:
RedWingFan wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Each of those albums got one listen from me. Just didn't grab me. I do listen to a couple things off Red 13.

Same here. I bought all of them and haven't listened to Eclipse since i got it. Just doesn't do it for me. Once in a blue moon I'll listen to a few from Revelation and Arrival. Both of those albums did have some good songs on them, especially Arrival.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby Sighlence » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:43 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Sighlence wrote:Seen that yesterday. Picked it up, looked at it.....then tossed it back. I don't own anything post-TBF.

Great story. Thanks for sharing. Did you pick it up with your right hand or your left hand? Really captivating stuff. Thanks again. :roll:

Picked it up with my left hand, transferred it to my right hand then flipped it over and tossed it. Yep...that's how it went down. :D
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:15 am

jrny84 wrote:Same here. I bought all of them and haven't listened to Eclipse since i got it. Just doesn't do it for me.

Eclipse has some stuff that could fit right on Arrival. This song for example. Obviously, some of the heavier stuff isn't for everybody's tastes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx04VO8N3Wg
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby jrny84 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:29 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
jrny84 wrote:Same here. I bought all of them and haven't listened to Eclipse since i got it. Just doesn't do it for me.

Eclipse has some stuff that could fit right on Arrival. This song for example. Obviously, some of the heavier stuff isn't for everybody's tastes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx04VO8N3Wg

Yup, I agree. Thanks for sending. That's a good one and can definitely see it being on Arrival.
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:57 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:I think the writing would have been stronger. I re-listened to Eclipse on a long car ride yesterday. Some on Cain's lyrics are brilliant. Alot of them are crap. He is shouldering 100% of the writing duties. That said, all of the band's post-Perry releases (Arrival, Revelation etc) are stronger than SP's Traces.

This is a great post! I love Eclipse, but the lyrics could have been better in spots. That is where Steve Perry could have helped it a lot. Or JSS. Some of the lyrics are clunky. Another solid writer would have smoothed those parts out.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Return to Journey