Rolling Stone - SP interview WOW!

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Rolling Stone - SP interview WOW!

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:35 am

The RS writer says that Neal seems "desperate" to reunite with Perry. That's a pretty accurate word. Probably putting it mildly actually. Writer also says a look of disgust comes over Perry's face at the mention of Cain's book.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ssion=true
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Re: Rolling Stone - SP interview WOW!

Postby yogi » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:02 am

What an AWESOME read!!

Thanks for sharing that
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Gideon » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:37 am

Damn, Perry was savage af
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:49 am

Sad, and I need not be sadder hearing "in the rain".
Great interview
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Greg » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:53 am

Dang! Savage is right!
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby shaneslatts » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:32 am

Sad but uplifting.
Here many of us were, doubting the hip replacement issue,(oh he's never had a hip issue, that was just an excuse) when in fact the man has had TWO.
One recently.
Thus explaining the later than expected release of his album.
Steve just does not "fit" into Journey any longer, working with Schon just isn't an option for him.
More and more I think "No more Cryin" is directly aimed at the band.
Just an honest interview about life and reality from someone who has been through a lot.

My preordered signed CD is at my PO Box, so, I'll be playing it tomorrow.
shaneslatts
Ol' 78

Postby SoonerThunder » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:50 am

So whenever anyone says “Durrrrrrr- Journey should get Steve Perry back”, can we answer them solely with this link?
SoonerThunder
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:52 am

shaneslatts wrote:Here many of us were, doubting the hip replacement issue,(oh he's never had a hip issue, that was just an excuse) when in fact the man has had TWO.

To be honest, this interview doesn't change anything in that regard. Could still be BS. And even if he did not have the degenerative bone issue, he was still mentally exhausted and had no interest in Journey.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Eric » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:26 am

Ugly interview.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby RedWingFan » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:38 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:The RS writer says that Neal seems "desperate" to reunite with Perry. That's a pretty accurate word. Probably putting it mildly actually. Writer also says a look of disgust comes over Perry's face at the mention of Cain's book.

He makes a good point of Schon wanting to be friends just to work with him.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Pacfanweb » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:36 am

but he’s never made any attempt to reunite with his former mates

Well right there we know that's BS.
It was just a few years ago when he was talking to Journey behind the scenes. Remember the red carpet interview when he was asked and said "I can only do so much". That's when he was talking to them
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:39 am

Pacfanweb wrote:Well right there we know that's BS.
It was just a few years ago when he was talking to Journey behind the scenes. Remember the red carpet interview when he was asked and said "I can only do so much". That's when he was talking to them

Who, specifically, was he talking to? First I've heard of this. At both the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, you could tell Perry wanted to get the hell out of there.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby KDOUBLEU » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:56 am

Wow. I think he is sick of answering questions about Journey. But he knew they were coming..
KDOUBLEU
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:00 am

Pacfanweb wrote:

Those comments were taken out of context and he clarified them a day or two later saying there was no contact.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby perryswoman » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:32 pm

Same thing I have been saying about Schon. I knew he was just trying to suck up to Perry to make money together and I never thought it was sincere and likewise neither did Perry. Glad to see him put that out there. Now Neal is gong to lose his shit!
Come back Steve Perry!!
perryswoman
Cassette Tape

Postby Pacfanweb » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:34 pm

Memorex wrote:
Pacfanweb wrote:

Those comments were taken out of context and he clarified them a day or two later saying there was no contact.

Explain his comments here, then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_gLsmJewnE

That was in 2014, and then you have Schon's comments in 2014 as well:

Speaking with the Huffington Post, Schon opened up about the state of his relationship with Perry these days, revealing that the two have been in much closer contact than many might have suspected. "I had been collaborating with Steve on a friendly basis just through email," he said when asked if the band's former vocalist still fit in. "It seemed like we were on a friendly basis. But he wasn't ready to get together and he isn't ready to get together. He's said numerous times now that there's no reunion and that he's not interested in doing anything like that."
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby Pacfanweb » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:39 pm

shaneslatts wrote:Sad but uplifting.
Here many of us were, doubting the hip replacement issue,(oh he's never had a hip issue, that was just an excuse) when in fact the man has had TWO.
One recently.
Thus explaining the later than expected release of his album.
Steve just does not "fit" into Journey any longer, working with Schon just isn't an option for him.
More and more I think "No more Cryin" is directly aimed at the band.
Just an honest interview about life and reality from someone who has been through a lot.

My preordered signed CD is at my PO Box, so, I'll be playing it tomorrow.

And who remembers a few years back when it was rumored that Perry wasn't working because "it's painful for him to sing"....literally, it supposedly hurt him. Evidently that was incorrect as well. I think even Andrew at some point said that was told to him.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby Memorex » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:12 pm

http://metaleater.com/music/video/steve ... th-journey

There was this plus I'm 99% sure Perry put out a correction as well.

http://www.noise11.com/news/steve-perry ... t-20140207

Also, Fan Asylum page with entry dated 2/24/14.

http://fanasylum.com/steveperry/
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Aaron » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:30 pm

FM if he tours I'm down and will be there. It kills me to hear he's not down with Schon. I was a Target at 8 am to buy this fkn cd, with spares. It's been on play on all day. I've been listening intently, at other times just running in the back ground getting the vibe.

Man he sounds great! His voice is killer. The songs are good and I'm looking for more rockers which he's not into. I just image how much better the songs could be with Schon writing and on guitar. It would be a Game Changer.

I hope they can burry the BS and get something going. Schon is little without Perry and Perry is little without Schon. Sad but true folks. Add Rolie and Castronovo on drums and back up vocals and dreams could be made. Could be the best music EVER!
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:31 pm

Ditto, thanks TNC

yogi wrote:What an AWESOME read!!

Thanks for sharing that
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:34 pm

Those fkrs (Schon and Perry) delivered the best music of my lifetime. I hope they can manage some shite and get some good stuff moving with Journey Through Time.

RedWingFan wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:The RS writer says that Neal seems "desperate" to reunite with Perry. That's a pretty accurate word. Probably putting it mildly actually. Writer also says a look of disgust comes over Perry's face at the mention of Cain's book.

He makes a good point of Schon wanting to be friends just to work with him.
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby shaneslatts » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:55 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
shaneslatts wrote:Here many of us were, doubting the hip replacement issue,(oh he's never had a hip issue, that was just an excuse) when in fact the man has had TWO.

To be honest, this interview doesn't change anything in that regard. Could still be BS. And even if he did not have the degenerative bone issue, he was still mentally exhausted and had no interest in Journey.

To be honest, I kind of agree with you.
It's just that some things have a ring of truth them.
I think Perry is pretty open and honest.

A few years back, I was dealing with throat cancer.
I had people DOUBT I had cancer because I refused "homeopathic treatment" in favor of radiation and chemo.
So... When I went into remission, they said " well, you didn't really have cancer"
I "think" what happened to Perry was a double-edged sword.
On the one and, he WAS burned out AND messed up his hip, adding to his issues.
That's just a guess, but to me at least, he doesn't seem like a B.S, guy
I do respect your opinion though
I dig how you speak your mind."
shaneslatts
Ol' 78

Postby Pacfanweb » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:05 am

Memorex wrote:http://metaleater.com/music/video/steve-perry-not-reuniting-with-journey

There was this plus I'm 99% sure Perry put out a correction as well.

http://www.noise11.com/news/steve-perry ... t-20140207

Also, Fan Asylum page with entry dated 2/24/14.

http://fanasylum.com/steveperry/

None of that states that they didn't talk. Not any direct quotes from Perry or the band, anyway. Only "there is no reunion". Doesn't mean they didn't talk.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby annie89509 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:04 pm

They never talked about getting back together for music. SP had a cancer (melanoma) scare few years back (had small mole on right side of his face removed). Neal said that's when he first contacted him wishing him well... they exchanged emails couple of times. That's it.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby Greg » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:53 pm

Schon, on Twitter, kind of sounded a bit pissed and discouraged about the RS interview. I think he truly does want a friendship with Perry, but I'm sure in the back of his mind, he also wants a musical relationship with Perry as well. I think Perry might still see Schon as one who wants to take an opportunity to ride the coattails (no pun intended) if Perry's venture with this album turns out to be very successful. Schon realizes that this version of Journey is over, and what better time to get with Perry than now?

Perry does need to realize that Schon's life revolves around music. That's all he's ever known, even at a very early age. Perry has allowed himself to live a, somewhat, normal life for the past 20 years and reconnecting with how life away from the limelight can be. Steve doesn't need the music business as much as Schon needs it. So, he seeks friendships in his life, now, that is actually built upon things that don't make money or fame. I think Schon wants that friendship with Perry, if only that eventually, down the road, it might lead to them collaborating musically again.

It's kind of like when you break up with a girlfriend, and you've missed her and want her back, but she's fine without you. You're so desperate to be around her again, that you convince yourself that you can just be "friends" with her, you don't have to get back together with her, but you just need her around in your life. And, there's always something in the back of your mind saying if she's still in your life in that capacity, eventually things will get serious again.

I can picture Schon being like, "Hey dude, want to go shoot hoops or something? Maybe go check out the titty bar? We can do whatever, doesn't have to be anything about music. Hey, would you mind listening to this riff I worked on today? Just for a second. Won't take long!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby Gideon » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:20 am

For most of my time on MR, I’ve been an unapologetic critic of SP where I think he deserves it.
That said, I also agree that Neal is coming off pretty shameless. I’m sure it’s not entirely without genuine emotion, but it seems obvious to me that he’s hit a wall with Journey as it exists and is looking to exploit an opportunity with SP and give JC the finger.

Neal is a fantastic player and I love listening to and watching him play, but he’s also an egomaniacal dipshit who’s pissed off at his current wife (JC) and trying to flirt with an ex (SP) in revenge.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby slucero » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:43 am

In Perry's GMG interview he was asked if he'd ever consider reuniting with Journey. His answer:

"I can only answer that question with the truth -- that I love going forward," he says. "I love going to the edge of what's next."

In his Rollingstone interview, he's even more direct.
Perry claims to feel no bitterness toward anyone in the band, even though he’s seen the members only twice, and briefly at that, in the past 20 years, and has rebuffed attempts to reconnect on a social level. Guitarist Neal Schon seems desperate for some sort of reconciliation and often tells interviewers he wants to create new music with Perry — not even necessarily for Journey. Schon has heard that Perry frequents his favorite coffee shop, and the guitarist hopes to run into the singer there. Pressed on this,

Perry says he can’t imagine working with Schon in any capacity or even re-establishing the friendship.

“I’m not sure that’s possible without stirring up hopes of a reunion,” he says. “Please listen to me. I left the band 31 fucking years ago, my friend. You can still love someone, but not want to work with them. And if they only love you because they want to work with you, that doesn’t feel good to me.”

That's pretty cut & dry there. No wiggle,"never-say-never" room.

For Perry...Schon is THE PAST. That means Journey is the past. He's done with both.

Fans are confusing something else too. They need to LISTEN to what Perry SAYS.

Traces is for Perry and Kellie... not the fans. Traces is Perry keeping a promise he made to Kellie. It's the CENTER of his reason for putting Traces out. Just listen to the interviews. People need to wrap their fucking skulls around this and stop deluding themselves that Perry's return is about them. Traces is NOT him finally hearing and conceding to his fans imploring him to return. If that were the case.. he would have put out something, anything...looooong ago...

Because of this - there is a good likelihood Traces is a "one and done" deal for Perry.

People need to get OK with that.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby brywool » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:12 pm

Personally, I'd rather see Steve stay solo. He's doing what he wants and it's good. It's not 'Journey' but it's loaded with FEEL. He's producing the kind of music that he wants rather than "we need a hit, we need a hit". He sidesteps all of that pressure (either from the record company or from the band). Also... if you watch the Neal/Jon show lately... man, I wouldn't wish that on anybody. Neal's Twitter and FB posts have been so disappointing for the past year. Journey's all about him I guess. I remember when Journey was a freaking BAND. I feel for AP. He's such a postive guy with all that going on around him. Steve's been pretty diplomatic, but it's clear that he doesn't want to get wrapped up in all that is a Journey. At this time, I can't blame him.
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:11 pm

Perry is teasing that he might tour for his solo album and that he will play Journey songs. I wish he would perform only his solo stuff. I don't know if I can listen to the Dirty Dozen again even if Perry is singing those songs.

Please consider doing only solo material, or solo material and a few Journey songs. Perhaps start the concert with Separate Ways and end with Faithfully and Don't Stop Believin'. The only exception is if Perry wants to do rare cuts from Trial By Fire or something. Then that would be cool.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:17 am

Pacfanweb wrote:
And who remembers a few years back when it was rumored that Perry wasn't working because "it's painful for him to sing"....literally, it supposedly hurt him. Evidently that was incorrect as well. I think even Andrew at some point said that was told to him.

I always took that to mean emotionally?
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Next

Return to Journey