45 RPM

Re: Jonathan Cain Hall of Fame Oct 10

Postby MotherCitay » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:23 pm

You can jump to the 1hr40 mark if you can't wait to hear Jon singing
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby MotherCitay » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:35 pm

Jon reads out the lyrics to a song he says he wrote recently. About a broken heart.

Says he wants to get in touch with Lady Gaga about it.

Then jokes maybe he should give it to Steve Perry instead.
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby MotherCitay » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:39 pm

MotherCitay wrote:.
You can jump to the 1hr40 mark if you can't wait to hear Jon singing

NO!!! STOP!!! PLEEEZ!!!
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby MotherCitay » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:56 pm

MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby MotherCitay » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:29 pm

Yes it is loooong but I really enjoyed this interview. Heard some insightful little nuggets.

Jon has nothing but praise for Steve. So I don't understand Steve's Rolling Stone comment about Jon's book!
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:04 pm

Enjoying the interview. Thanks.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby MotherCitay » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:11 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Enjoying the interview. Thanks.

:D :D :D
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:43 pm

Interesting insights...didn't know they wanted Ross and Smitty to tour for ROR. Cain makes it sound like they just auditioned the session players to finish the record.
Bad English was forced to record 15 tracks written by outside writers (not including "When I See You Smile"). Cain says they were mostly garbage. Wow.

This is the second or third interview where Cain talks highly about "Loved By You" from Arrival. He's right. Arrival is a great cd. Not so sure about Adele recording it tho.

Cain says that Journey is releasing their Budokan Escape/Frontiers show. At least some sort of release is happening.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby brywool » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:37 am

Great interview. He goes much more into the music end of things in this interview. Probably the best Cain interview that I've heard and also one of the most 'look inside Journey' interviews that I've heard. I was hoping his book would be more like this interview - talking about how the songs were created and recorded. His book is decent (I recommend the audiobook (grab it from your local library)) but if you're wanting info on Journey's music and how it was created as opposed to Jon's personal life, the book isn't 'THAT' detail oriented. Jon is also very kind regarding Perry in this interview. You can hear the respect and the love that he had for him in this interview. He seems to comment on Steve's RS comments regarding his book but claims "he'll want to read it eventually, I got it right". Regarding Bad English, I'd forgotten his aversion to Ron Nevison (though it was in the book). He did such a great job with Damn Yankees and others, but apparently, he wasn't great with Waite and Bad English. Yikes. Loved his story on 'Midnight Rendezvous'. Had no idea that he was playing guitar on that.

If you think about it, Jon had the whole incident with the school burning down that really affected his life and steered him onto the path that he went down. With Perry, he didn't have a fire, but he had the breakup of his family and the death of his mom that pushed him down the path of isolation and doing things the way he wanted. I think both these incidents left these two guys shellshocked.

It was great to hear that he and Neal are back on solid ground, but it makes your eyebrows raise at what Neal's Twitter feed seems to indicate. His Twitter posts sometimes seem pretty negative.
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby jrny84 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:21 am

Really enjoyed this interview. I agree, its one of the best John has done. The song he wants to give Lady Ga Ga sounds really good. I could picture Perry singing this. After listening to him, really makes you realize Cain is a great songwriter. Really miss the chemistry he and Perry had together. I didn't know Perry only wanted to do 40 shows on ROR and it sounds like he really lost alot of himself when his mom died. That pretty much was the only person he had.

I never realized either that Perry doesn't get the girl in the songs. Also, interesting to hear that Perry didn't want to do a full TBF album. Sounds like he didn't plan on touring really either.

It seems like Cain really speaks highly and has positive things to say about Steve. I'm really confused why Steve spoke so negatively about the book. I wonder where he's coming from?

Also, cant wait for the Budokan DVD!
jrny84
Cassette Tape

Postby Pacfanweb » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:45 pm

MotherCitay wrote:Yes it is loooong but I really enjoyed this interview. Heard some insightful little nuggets.

Jon has nothing but praise for Steve. So I don't understand Steve's Rolling Stone comment about Jon's book!

We have no idea the context of that. I wouldn't have it trouble me in the least.

Reading someone else's take about it and seeing it happen for yourself are two entirely different things.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:39 pm

brywool wrote:It was great to hear that he and Neal are back on solid ground, but it makes your eyebrows raise at what Neal's Twitter feed seems to indicate. His Twitter posts sometimes seem pretty negative.

Cain keeps saying that him and Neal have moved past all the drama. But when you look at Neal's social media he's re-tweeting attacks on Cain by the Real Music Observer or writing not-so-subtle digs at Cain himself.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby AJ » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:20 pm

[quote="The_Noble_Cause"][quote="brywool"]It was great to hear that he and Neal are back on solid ground, but it makes your eyebrows raise at what Neal's Twitter feed seems to indicate. His Twitter posts sometimes seem pretty negative.[/quote]

Cain keeps saying that him and Neal have moved past all the drama. But when you look at Neal's social media he's re-tweeting attacks on Cain by the Real Music Observer or writing not-so-subtle digs at Cain himself.[/quote]

I've seen those digs, and I'm wondering if they're really aimed at JC or more towards Azoff and management...or maybe a little of all of the above?
AJ
Ol' 78

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:21 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Interesting insights...didn't know they wanted Ross and Smitty to tour for ROR. Cain makes it sound like they just auditioned the session players to finish the record.
Bad English was forced to record 15 tracks written by outside writers (not including "When I See You Smile"). Cain says they were mostly garbage. Wow.

This is the second or third interview where Cain talks highly about "Loved By You" from Arrival. He's right. Arrival is a great cd. Not so sure about Adele recording it tho.

Cain says that Journey is releasing their Budokan Escape/Frontiers show. At least some sort of release is happening.

Good interview, but I don't know if I'm buying into the Ross and Smitty touring with ROR thing. I know that this interview is 'from the horse's mouth', but Cain had a few facts wrong other than this. Touring for Frontiers in '84 and Perry reaching out to do TBF in '98. When he mentioned that they auditioned drummers for 40 days, I'm almost positive that this was for touring purposes, not for recording like he said. The studio musicians used for the album were mostly from the Street Talk sessions. Why would they take 40 days to audition when they only ended up using the people who Perry had in his back pocket all along? Herbie even addressed this in his interview years back, saying that they wasted a lot of time and money and passed up on some of the best drummers out there for a sub-par Michael Baird (who was their touring drummer...and IMO is a solid drummer, maybe just not cut out for that particular gig). There have also been interviews with other drummers who mentioned about auditioning for the tour (Omar Hakim, Rod Morgenstein). Maybe Ross and Smitty were part of the early studio rehearsals that didn't work out (although Smitty stayed on for a few tracks), but I really have trouble believing that they were ever part of touring plans.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby brywool » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:41 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
brywool wrote:It was great to hear that he and Neal are back on solid ground, but it makes your eyebrows raise at what Neal's Twitter feed seems to indicate. His Twitter posts sometimes seem pretty negative.

Cain keeps saying that him and Neal have moved past all the drama. But when you look at Neal's social media he's re-tweeting attacks on Cain by the Real Music Observer or writing not-so-subtle digs at Cain himself.

you mean Neal actually listens to 'real music observer' - holy smokes, it's worse than I thought!
;)

Regarding the retweets, yeah, that's what I meant by "but it makes your eyebrows raise at what Neal's Twitter feed seems to indicate. His Twitter posts sometimes seem pretty negative."

Neal, or whoever is handling his page seems to be intent on keeping some 'end of the band' or 'everything's not rosy in Journeyland' speculation as a running theme. Cut to the 'has neal relapsed?' threads. Hope not, but he sure seems like an angry guy the past few years.
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby scarab » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:12 am

Atma Anur was announced in their Rockline interview in May (ish) 1986 as the new drummer. Dont know why this fell apart but it would go against Smith/Valory would be playing live for the tour which didnt start until late August.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Gideon » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:14 am

Great interview. Jon seemed more genuine here than he has in a long time.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:43 am

brywool wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

you mean Neal actually listens to 'real music observer' - holy smokes, it's worse than I thought!
;)

Regarding the retweets, yeah, that's what I meant by "but it makes your eyebrows raise at what Neal's Twitter feed seems to indicate. His Twitter posts sometimes seem pretty negative."

Neal, or whoever is handling his page seems to be intent on keeping some 'end of the band' or 'everything's not rosy in Journeyland' speculation as a running theme. Cut to the 'has neal relapsed?' threads. Hope not, but he sure seems like an angry guy the past few years.

Neal became a huge social media whore when he married reality TV wannabe Michaele. Either she he's behind it OR Neal has just been inspired by our president's over zealous use of Twitter. But Neal seems less coherent than Trump. Neal is constantly complaining of being "hacked." He sounds like an old fart trying to use the new TV remote. And yea, he re-tweets the Real Music Observer. The Observer had some stupid video attacking Cain for playing too much rhythm guitar and Neal re-tweeted it. He re-tweets all sorts of stupid bullshit.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Gideon » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:31 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Neal became a huge social media whore when he married reality TV wannabe Michaele. Either she he's behind it OR Neal has just been inspired by our president's over zealous use of Twitter. But Neal seems less coherent than Drumpf. Neal is constantly complaining of being "hacked." He sounds like an old fart trying to use the new TV remote. And yea, he re-tweets the Real Music Observer. The Observer had some stupid video attacking Cain for playing too much rhythm guitar and Neal re-tweeted it. He re-tweets all sorts of stupid bullshit.

Two things to note here:

Neal's new love affair with the Real Music Observer is hilarious because it wasn't that long ago that he was shitting on RMO on Twitter for videos that criticized Neal. RMO, recognizing the attention he got from Neal, switched gears and decided to appeal to ego by posting videos more flattering of Neal. One whore recognizes another.

Another thing: I saw that video from RMO about Cain's rhythm guitar that Neal re-tweeted. At the next show, Jon went back to playing keys on Any Way You Want It instead of rhythm guitar. :lol:

I know Jon's wife is into some shady prosperity gospel bullshit and I really want Journey to put out new material, but Neal makes it really hard to back him up when he acts like such a fucking douchecanoe.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:27 am

Gideon wrote:Two things to note here:

Neal's new love affair with the Real Music Observer is hilarious because it wasn't that long ago that he was shitting on RMO on Twitter for videos that criticized Neal. RMO, recognizing the attention he got from Neal, switched gears and decided to appeal to ego by posting videos more flattering of Neal. One whore recognizes another.

Yup. Here's the deal....I remember hearing voicemails from Neal on Deano's phone. So when RMO says he has inside contacts, it's not completely unlikely that Neal has reached out in some way. Still, the whole thing is pretty pathetic.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby PianoMan1986 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:16 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Interesting insights...didn't know they wanted Ross and Smitty to tour for ROR. Cain makes it sound like they just auditioned the session players to finish the record.

Always enjoy your input TNC on your posts/replies. My impression is because of how Jon explains how that album (ROR) came together with him and Steve, and eventually Neal with the material as opposed to collectively writing and rehearsing as on prior albums is part of why it didn't gel with Ross and Smitty.

I wasn't aware of that either with Bad English -- they only released the 2 official albums, right? Aside from a possible 3rd of unreleased stuff, which wouldn't be the 15 tracks he talked about.

I just thought it was great to hear him play and reference Loved By You whether you like Jon's voice or not. The band should still draw tunes from the Arrival album.

On a tangent, I don't know if he was grimacing or amused in hearing his early solo track played -- sad that the album was bootlegged meaning I assume he doesn't get anything for any sales of it. Overall glad with the lengthy interview and insight and that it did focus more on the music, than his personal beliefs.
PianoMan1986
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:14 am

PianoMan1986 wrote:Overall glad with the lengthy interview and insight and that it did focus more on the music, than his personal beliefs.

He seemed genuine and down-to-earth until he started talking about his religious beliefs. You can see the snake oil huckster come out of him when he starts down that path. Appreciate ur insights too, PianoMan! Arrival, more or less, should be the blueprint for every album they do.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:10 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Arrival, more or less, should be the blueprint for every album they do.

I agree that Arrival was awesome, but they need to cap it at ten songs. With Arrival and Trial By Fire and now Traces, if they only put ten songs on these albums, they would be halfway finished with another album.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Return to Journey