Question for keyboard players & tech saavy

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Question for keyboard players & tech saavy

Postby PianoMan1986 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:45 pm

Came across this youtube channel that had a recent John Waite concert and noticed he had a Journey show from the recent tour and checked it out for the hell of it. Something I thought was cool was seeing Jon incorporate some different things into his solo along with the medley we've come to expect on recent tours. My question for anyone in the know, is he playing to a recorded program/performance (i.e., he recorded the other parts in a DAW and is just running with it in time, or an in-ear click track), or is it something he's triggering as he's playing the themes? In the end it doesn't really matter, just nice to see a nod to his solo styling from the Frontiers era. The non-Journey themes seemed like they could be fleshed out into larger ideas and the orchestral portion sounded reminiscent to "Into Your Arms". Enough rambling for now haha, let me know your thoughts.

https://youtu.be/st9Q3K9QBds

Also, kills it for me to hear someone talking about going pee towards the end of the video :roll:
PianoMan1986
LP

Re: Question for keyboard players & tech saavy

Postby tedpruitt » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:06 am

Hard to tell from that video - looks like he has some triggers set up on the low end of the keyboard tied to some midi sequences. So he plays the "melody" up top while triggering the string underpinning to his solo with his left hand.

Pretty easy to set up in Ableton - likely what he's doing.
tedpruitt
Ol' 78

Re: Question for keyboard players & tech saavy

Postby PianoMan1986 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:50 am

Thank you very much for the info. I know of Ableton, just haven't ever used it. Again, thanks for reading and for the info.
PianoMan1986
LP

Return to Journey