Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Go Big or Stay Back!

Postby tater1977 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:00 am

Go Big or Stay Back!
Co-Headliners Journey-Def Leppard Crisscross the States

https://www.mixonline.com/live-sound/co ... es-on-tour

Tom KennyOct 26, 2018

“Following Def Leppard is a tall order. They’re an all-out rock band, and they can wear you out over 90 minutes, then Journey comes out and it’s a different animal, with pop ballads and pop rock songs. Back in the old days, there were stacks of Marshalls on the stage, and it was rock and roll. Today, Journey has a very quiet stage, so this massive sound we have coming out front is what the mix is all about.”
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Re: Go Big or Stay Back!

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:41 pm

Thanks for posting.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Re: Go Big or Stay Back!

Postby tedpruitt » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:11 am

It's an interesting read - but my experiences with recent Journey concerts have been much less than stellar. Muddy FOH. Over-the-top effects on the vocals. I'm sure he's a good guy, but perhaps a little high-pass on those overheads would be useful in bringing down the overall muddiness of the mix. I also got the impression that he doesn't do much walking around - sound may be fine at the console, but you get a little left or a little right or too far back and --- mud.

The drums sound great - when you can hear them in the mix. Alone - during the solo, they're good.

Not to bash on the poor guy, but Journey used to be the watermark for ALL live bands. This guy appears to be a technical mixer rather than an "ear" mixer. I don't have any experience with Heart to be able to compare what he was doing with them - but he certainly needs more than a "line check" - every venue is different. Every venue has it's own challenges and just relying on your dynamic eq to pick out the feedback isn't going to give you top-notch sound.

Also interesting that Arnel chooses a 58 to sing into. Perry was always an EV guy. Not sure, if Arnel has a similar timbre to his voice, he wouldn't use a similar mic - a 58 is normally pretty flat.
tedpruitt
Ol' 78

Return to Journey