My Depressing Realization

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

My Depressing Realization

Postby Aaron » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:44 pm

Man, I've been noodling on music hard since the Christmas holiday. I've been looking at my old favorite bands as well as recent new comers. I'm come to a few high level conclusions:

1. I like what I like, high tenor singers in talented rock bands
2. I can't get into legacy acts if they suck (i.e. no new talented music, detuned, etc.)
3. I can't get into the best singers on the planet if their new material is weak/adult contemporary. The point is I'm old but I don't like music for old people. I love Perry, he's the best singer of rock music ever! His latest offering is a grandpa record, and as a grandpa I reject it. He sounds great, the music is not what I'm after.
4. Old bands without their soul are not the same. I love Boston, they aren't what they could be. Gary Phil is a great player and was AWESOME with Hagar. He still can't cover Barry Goudreau's parts right on the good stuff. Same for Hansen singing Lou's parts a half step down. Tommy DeCarlo is acceptable with Brad's passing.
5. I still love old, real bands doing their deal like Night Ranger. They sound right and have great material. They're a mature band with great new material playing 4 covers in a set. I'm not feeling it and seeing the same show every year. Yawn.
6. I'm going with new bands that have the fire, aren't scared, and can deliver. The two bands relevant today in my mind is Blackberry Smoke and Greta Van Fleet. I've seen Blackberry Smoke live and they're every bit as good as they are on the record (same as Goodbye Thrill). I've not seen Greta Van Fleet but I can't wait. That kid can fuckin whale and I worry he can't do it forever. However, I really want to see him while he can. When you listen to Safari Song and they do two bars and all you can do smile while listening, that is what I'm after. Rock Talent.

With all that being said, the following are my conclusions:
1. Journey in their prime is the best band ever
2. Boston is #2
3. Foreigner is #3
4. Night Ranger is the best current playing band from the day
5. Charlie Star and Blackberry Smoke are a great current band touring and playing new music.
6. Greta Van Fleet may be my current favorite band. I'm pretty sure I'm watching them being what my prior favorite bands we're before money, egos and assholes took over. I can't wait to see them live, having fun, doing their thing. They are still an equal band, with equal input, pulling equal pay. It can't last long. :(

What do you all think?
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Re: My Depressing Realization

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:14 am

Hey, whatever bakes your potato! As long as you enjoy it, there is no explanation needed.

My new years resolution is to not have to defend or explain what I like to anybody. I don't go out of my way to criticize anyone's opinion any longer, and I'm a happier person anticipating the same in return. That can only start with me not putting what I like out there in the social media world for criticism.

Rock on, brother.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby SoonerThunder » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:05 am

Aaron wrote:Man, I've been noodling on music hard since the Christmas holiday. I've been looking at my old favorite bands as well as recent new comers. I'm come to a few high level conclusions:

2. I can't get into legacy acts if they suck (i.e. no new talented music, detuned, etc.)
3. I can't get into the best singers on the planet if their new material is weak/adult contemporary. The point is I'm old but I don't like music for old people. I love Perry, he's the best singer of rock music ever! His latest offering is a grandpa record, and as a grandpa I reject it. He sounds great, the music is not what I'm after.
4. Old bands without their soul are not the same. I love Boston, they aren't what they could be. Gary Phil is a great player and was AWESOME with Hagar. He still can't cover Barry Goudreau's parts right on the good stuff. Same for Hansen singing Lou's parts a half step down. Tommy DeCarlo is acceptable with Brad's passing.
5. I still love old, real bands doing their deal like Night Ranger. They sound right and have great material. They're a mature band with great new material playing 4 covers in a set. I'm not feeling it and seeing the same show every year. Yawn.
6. I'm going with new bands that have the fire, aren't scared, and can deliver. The two bands relevant today in my mind is Blackberry Smoke and Greta Van Fleet. I've seen Blackberry Smoke live and they're every bit as good as they are on the record (same as Goodbye Thrill). I've not seen Greta Van Fleet but I can't wait. That kid can fuckin whale and I worry he can't do it forever. However, I really want to see him while he can. When you listen to Safari Song and they do two bars and all you can do smile while listening, that is what I'm after. Rock Talent.

2. Boston is #2
3. Foreigner is #3
5. Charlie Star and Blackberry Smoke are a great current band touring and playing new music.
6. Greta Van Fleet may be my current favorite band. I'm pretty sure I'm watching them being what my prior favorite bands we're before money, egos and assholes took over. I can't wait to see them live, having fun, doing their thing. They are still an equal band, with equal input, pulling equal pay. It can't last long. :(

What do you all think?

Agreed on BBS and GVF 100%

Got tix to see Smoke next month- hoping Greta comes thru OKC this time around
SoonerThunder
Ol' 78

Postby Arkansas » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:44 am

Saw Metallica Sunday night. They still bring it!

later~
Arkansas
Cassette Tape

Postby FamilyMan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:11 am

I largely agree with all your assessments and rankings, though I would like to add two honorable mentions:
Def Leppard and U2. These are two legendary bands whose heydays are long since gone, but their abilities to stay together with the original lineups (save the late Steve Clark) is truly remarkable. Both bands are still delivering new music and doing stellar live shows on extended tours. While their contemporaries have either died, broken up or marched on with replacement singers/members, DL and U2 are the genuine articles still competing at a high level.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby AR » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:24 pm

Aaron wrote: Tommy DeCarlo is acceptable with Brad's passing.

Singer basically wearing a Halloween costume to look like deceased original singer is unacceptable.
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Aaron » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:55 am

I hadn't thought about that but you're right, the same hair and beard thing is really weird. DeCarlo based on his voice is ok in my view.

AR wrote:
Aaron wrote: Tommy DeCarlo is acceptable with Brad's passing.

Singer basically wearing a Halloween costume to look like deceased original singer is unacceptable.
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby kgdjpubs » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:38 pm

Something along the lines of JTT vs. Journey is playing out with the UK-based Magnum. Hit their peak in the late 80s, and then broke up in 1995. Reformed in 2002, and they have released 9 studio albums since that point. Their live set is about 65% post-reformation material plus a few obligatory hits, and they will usually do 3-5 songs off the latest album. Needless to say, there are vast parts of the band's catalog that haven't been played live in 30+ years. Considering singer Bob Catley is into his 70s and has lost a good bit of his higher range, not surprisingly, large parts of the catalog have been tuned down for him.

Just to make things complicated though, now you have a splinter band comprised of about 50% members that were part of or played live with Magnum over the years who have formed with a new singer to play the pre-reformation material that Magnum refuses to play live.

Needless to say, the fanbase is somewhat divided by the way this all shook out.
kgdjpubs
Cassette Tape

Postby efrasjourney » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:38 am

Aaron wrote:Man, I've been noodling on music hard since the Christmas holiday. I've been looking at my old favorite bands as well as recent new comers. I'm come to a few high level conclusions:

2. Boston is #2
3. Foreigner is #3

What do you all think?

Ohh WOW, man, I agree in everything you just said. Especially about Night Ranger, top notch.

About GVF, I like those kids. Looking forward to see how they progress, develop. I would like to add that I really like the band H.E.A.T. that I discovered thanks to this site.

BTW, I will check Blackberry Smoke.
efrasjourney
Radio Waves

Postby Aaron » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:22 am

I will check out H.E.A.T. sir. Thank you for the heads up.

Black Berry Smoke has a good Black Crowes vibe. They are all related or buddies. Charlie Star is their lead singer and lead guitarist at the same time. And is not an asshole. I think you'll like them.

efrasjourney wrote:

2. Boston is #2
3. Foreigner is #3

What do you all think?

Ohh WOW, man, I agree in everything you just said. Especially about Night Ranger, top notch.

About GVF, I like those kids. Looking forward to see how they progress, develop. I would like to add that I really like the band H.E.A.T. that I discovered thanks to this site.

BTW, I will check Blackberry Smoke.
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:31 am

Thanks for the post. I'll check them out.

In general, I'm good for detuning for the original singer, not for a replacement. I would also say that original singers with help on the high parts in the original key is cool as well. I saw Delp with Fran's help back in the late 80's. Brad called it out before they rolled give Fran kudos for helping on the high parts. It sounded GREAT and I've always had appreciation for Delp, his capability and his approach. The dude was the real deal.

kgdjpubs wrote:Something along the lines of JTT vs. Journey is playing out with the UK-based Magnum. Hit their peak in the late 80s, and then broke up in 1995. Reformed in 2002, and they have released 9 studio albums since that point. Their live set is about 65% post-reformation material plus a few obligatory hits, and they will usually do 3-5 songs off the latest album. Needless to say, there are vast parts of the band's catalog that haven't been played live in 30+ years. Considering singer Bob Catley is into his 70s and has lost a good bit of his higher range, not surprisingly, large parts of the catalog have been tuned down for him.

Just to make things complicated though, now you have a splinter band comprised of about 50% members that were part of or played live with Magnum over the years who have formed with a new singer to play the pre-reformation material that Magnum refuses to play live.

Needless to say, the fanbase is somewhat divided by the way this all shook out.
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:39 am

Right on. If you think you can change someone's opinion its a pretty tough deal. Agree with you 100%.
Art Vandelay wrote:Hey, whatever bakes your potato! As long as you enjoy it, there is no explanation needed.

My new years resolution is to not have to defend or explain what I like to anybody. I don't go out of my way to criticize anyone's opinion any longer, and I'm a happier person anticipating the same in return. That can only start with me not putting what I like out there in the social media world for criticism.

Rock on, brother.
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Return to Journey