Jonathan Cain interview

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Jonathan Cain interview

Postby leftovertu » Wed May 08, 2019 10:55 pm

Great interview with Jonathan Cain.

https://michaelcavacini.com/2019/05/06/ ... ike-jesus/

It’s cool how how he dodges the mud slinging and tries to keep it positive.

Love this answer regarding JTT...

Neal has his Journey Through Time concerts that have been wildly successful, featuring Gregg Rolie and Deen Castronovo, among other stellar musicians. What are your thoughts on these shows?

I think it’s great. That’s music that we don’t get to play due to time. I think it’s really awesome that that music is getting represented and is being put forth again. It worked in the 1970s and it’s still relevant now. It’s part of who we are.
leftovertu
Radio Waves

Re: Jonathan Cain interview

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu May 09, 2019 2:20 am

Thanks for posting. Jon has always been pretty polished. This excerpt seems to be in reference to Perry's comments in the RS article. SP was pretty dismissive of Cain in that article.

Interviewer: Have you tried reaching out to Steve since the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony?

JC: No. He already said, in so many words, that he’s not interested in a relationship with me or Neal. It came up when he was on the book tour. He was saying standoffish things. Interviewers even asked him about my book and he shut it down.

Interviewer: I noticed that too. I thought it was very bizarre and disappointing.

JC: Yeah, especially when I had only had great things to say about him, which, that’s his loss – whatever. I don’t live like that. Your decisions and your relationships are what you make them. If he chooses not to have one with myself or Neal, that’s not my wish. But I’m understanding of his space, and I’ll leave it at that. To me, Journey just sold a million tickets on this last tour – our most successful one ever with Arnel – and I choose to be grateful for that. We have Arnel and that voice.

Interviewer: That’s a great attitude to have. I wonder if Steve doesn’t want to reconnect because he’s afraid of something happening.

JC: I can’t even go there. You’d have to ask him. I remember when we decided to move on without him. Steve pretty much said, in so many words, “Lose my number.” I don’t have Steve’s number and I don’t talk to him. If he needs something, the publisher reaches out to us. And he’s been very cooperative when it comes to publishing, licenses, approving and disapproving the way our music is used. And I’m usually in complete agreement with anything he says. We’re still working together in a publishing way and I’m grateful for that. But, again, he has his life and we have our band and we move on. I can’t really control that situation. It’s what we make of it and that’s where we’re at.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu May 09, 2019 2:22 am

Cain says they decided to open the Escape/Frontiers Japan show with DSB. As opposed to what? Doesn't he realize that DSB is the first track on Escape? :shock:

Interviewer: Journey has a new live Blu-ray and CD set, Escape & Frontiers Live in Japan. What can you tell fans about this new release?

JC: It’s pretty great stuff. It’s us looking back at this music and making a musical statement with two of the biggest albums of our career. It was fun to go back and redo that. It was fun to put together a set that included those songs. Neal, Ross, Steve, and I worked hard at getting a good set to flow. It was fun. When we looked at the order of things, we decided to open with “Don’t Stop Believin'” because otherwise everybody would probably leave in the middle of the show (laughs). We reorganized the order and tried to make a rock and roll set of the two albums that flowed nicely. Every song is represented except for one. We only had one night with “Troubled Child” in the set and Arnel got lost on it. We had practiced it and rehearsed it. But that night we did it, he couldn’t hear something right so we couldn’t use it. We tried to salvage the tune but Arnel got lost on it (laughs) so that’s the only track that didn’t make it in from those albums. The crowd was terrific. My daughter and Neal’s son opened for us. They performed together and did a terrific job. The two of them did an acoustic set and it was a great time. It was one of those things where we saw some video of it and our manager said, “This is really good. Do you have all the audio?” I said, “Yeah” and we went to town on it. I’m glad we did because it was a great show.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby scarab » Thu May 09, 2019 9:37 am

Troubled Child wanst terrible, a buzz kill yeah cause it was the first live performance
and yeah Arnel seemed off on it,
but if you are going to put out an Escape/Frontiers DVD, it should be included.

Here's hoping that if Kansas puts out a DVD of POKR concert and Platt isnt perfect on the seldom on never played "Nobody's Home"
it'll be included.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat May 11, 2019 9:14 am

scarab wrote:Troubled Child wanst terrible, a buzz kill yeah cause it was the first live performance
and yeah Arnel seemed off on it,
but if you are going to put out an Escape/Frontiers DVD, it should be included.

Here's hoping that if Kansas puts out a DVD of POKR concert and Platt isnt perfect on the seldom on never played "Nobody's Home"
it'll be included.

For other recorded shows, they have done multiple takes of songs. They could have tried it again.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Return to Journey