Journey Self Management Poll

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Do you think Neal managing the band is a good idea?

Yes
No votes
No
100%
Go back to Azoff asap.
No votes

Total votes : 10

Journey Self Management Poll

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:55 am

Lately, Neal on social media has been saying he is busy in "business management mode."

Out of curiosity, who thinks the band going the self-management route is a smart idea? QPrime seemed poised to take them to the next level and to help provide the band with the recognition deserving of their stature. A big year was planned with a new dvd etc. Now, without any supervisory counter-balance, I genuinely fear for the future of the band. Musically, Neal's impulses have always been really great. To his credit, he is the co-creative braintrust and has championed new music when others had given up. He also found Arnel, whose story has elevated the band's profile and garnered more fans than other replacement singers. However, other Neal ideas (see Resonate music video with him and LadyM canoodling on the beach) are an all time humiliating low.

Journey is already showing signs of mismanagement with all social media pages seemingly dedicated to non-Journey crap (like Neal's personal views on Live Nation corruption). Hey, I agree with his views, but none of this stuff should be bleeding over onto the Journey pages. Who does this appeal to? This further proves the need for some form of managerial oversight. To quote Herbie (RIP), "this is the mothership, quit fucking around."

The only other person who can help with the band's affairs is Cain and he's totally checked out - either playing golf or swindling the gullible. Can someone give Jason or Narada the keys?

And for fuck's sake, can't someone update the website already?!?

Please discuss.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Re: Journey Self Management Poll

Postby DK23 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:24 pm

Three words: Resonate music video. Need we say more?
DK23
Ol' 78

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:04 pm

I don't want to repeat myself, but Neal Schon is flakey. Just as Steve Perry is. And most people who are really creative.
Journey needs somebody with a business mind. Somebody who won't let their heart get them into emotional fights on the Internet. (If Jon and Arnel go to the White House, who the hell cares? Let them go.)

Management needs to keep Journey in a positive light. You need to keep it unpolitical so you can draw in as many fans as possible. Once you make a political statement, you have just written off 50% of potential fans.
Management would announce when the new album is coming out when they knew for certain it was coming out on that date. Management would put together an "Evening with Journey" tour in 2022. And then maybe tour with another act in 2023 or something. (Journey really needs to tour by themselves once so they can play all these new songs and old deep cuts and so on.)
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:51 pm

Neal says he learned everything he needed from Herbie. I doubt that's true. As stated, most times creative minds don't mesh with business and vice-versa. Agreed that Neal can post whatever he wants on his personal pages but the Journey pages need to be Journey-centric. Impulses are fine and can be quite energizing for the band and the fans, but they also need to be smart....shrewd even. And, of course, this business is also very much about relationships. I'm sure Neal knows plenty of people, but does he have active business relationships with the right people? Journey will likely be fine touring. But releasing and promoting a new album?
Last edited by jrnyman28 on Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Eric » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:49 pm

I think Journey is at its best when Schon is driving the bus and someone(s) are helping him with direction. When he’s not driving Journey isn’t engaged and/or not themselves. But if he’s not being helped with direction I’m fearful of the outcome.

I DO wonder without any touring revenue for like 3 years now if Journey can afford someone like Qprime? This is a question not a statement.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Onestepper » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:27 am

I am just of the opinion, and I have zero knowledge that it's accurate, that the break from QPrime came at a time that Neal was being very critical of Live Nation on social media. I can't imagine they'd want to be a part of that.

It's pretty clear though that Michaele's influence on him both privately and through social media is playing out in real life. It looks terrible. Like a ship that has no captain, just a bunch of deck hands that have zero idea how to steer. They will continue to be around because of the name and legacy of Journey. But that doesn't mean they are being guided appropriately, or are maximizing their potential.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby ebake02 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:49 am

Neal is a fantastic musician but the thought of him driving the Journey boat by himself is a scary thought. Neal comes across as short-sighted and impulsive and things seem to go better if there is a voice of reason there who knows when to tune him out and make the right management decisions for the good of the band.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby Gideon » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:01 am

Management and musicianship are two entirely different competencies. Some artists have both, I'm sure, but I don't believe Neal Schon is one of them.

Neal's a brilliant player and musician and should definitely be the steering wheel of Journey's artistic expression, with Jon serving as ABS and check engine light, but he has demonstrated absolutely no management savvy.

As has been said, he often uses Journey's social media profile as a conduit for his personal shenanigans and pursuits.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby jrnyman28 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:06 pm

Neal has "announced" that 80 tour dates will be posted soon.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby ebake02 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:11 am

jrnyman28 wrote:Neal has "announced" that 80 tour dates will be posted soon.

I can’t imagine where they’ll be playing, the vast majority are Live Nation venues and Neal has trashed them on social media nonstop for months now.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby jrnyman28 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:27 am

ebake02 wrote:

I can’t imagine where they’ll be playing, the vast majority are Live Nation venues and Neal has trashed them on social media nonstop for months now.

Really it's years now. The security issues the way they were treating M, I think it's also what led to the split with Azoff.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby ebake02 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:42 am

jrnyman28 wrote:
ebake02 wrote:

Really it's years now. The security issues the way they were treating M, I think it's also what led to the split with Azoff.

A lot of what he’s saying are legitimate complaints but he’s biting the hand that feeds them considering most of the venues they’ve been playing in for the last several years are owned and/or operated by Live Nation.
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:59 am

ebake02 wrote:
A lot of what he’s saying are legitimate complaints but he’s biting the hand that feeds them considering most of the venues they’ve been playing in for the last several years are owned and/or operated by Live Nation.

Starting with Vegas run coming up, they are now with AEG - not LN. LN definitely owns more venues. Not sure how they can even do 80 dates domestically with AEG.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby ebake02 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:20 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
ebake02 wrote:

Starting with Vegas run coming up, they are now with AEG - not LN. LN definitely owns more venues. Not sure how they can even do 80 dates domestically with AEG.

I know they’re now with AEG and that was my point, AEG is a big company but their footprint in the US seems to be microscopic compared to Live Nation, unless AEG is just promoting the tour and they’re playing everywhere like normal.
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby Marzdog » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:46 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Lately, Neal on social media has been saying he is busy in "business management mode."

Out of curiosity, who thinks the band going the self-management route is a smart idea? QPrime seemed poised to take them to the next level and to help provide the band with the recognition deserving of their stature. A big year was planned with a new dvd etc. Now, without any supervisory counter-balance, I genuinely fear for the future of the band. Musically, Neal's impulses have always been really great. To his credit, he is the co-creative braintrust and has championed new music when others had given up. He also found Arnel, whose story has elevated the band's profile and garnered more fans than other replacement singers. However, other Neal ideas (see Resonate music video with him and LadyM canoodling on the beach) are an all time humiliating low.

Journey is already showing signs of mismanagement with all social media pages seemingly dedicated to non-Journey crap (like Neal's personal views on Live Nation corruption). Hey, I agree with his views, but none of this stuff should be bleeding over onto the Journey pages. Who does this appeal to? This further proves the need for some form of managerial oversight. To quote Herbie (RIP), "this is the mothership, quit fucking around."

The only other person who can help with the band's affairs is Cain and he's totally checked out - either playing golf or swindling the gullible. Can someone give Jason or Narada the keys?

And for fuck's sake, can't someone update the website already?!?

Please discuss.
Maybe Neal has been asking Luke how things worked out for him and Toto, and possibly a similar type thing. Luke "manages" Toto and then has brought in staff to help run the FOH.

Toto's best salesman is Luke, so, in a way, why wouldn't Neal be Journey's, outside of the wife and LN shit show?
Marzdog
45 RPM

Postby jrnyman28 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:12 am

Deen has now also stated 80 dates starting in February.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby JourneyHard » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:11 pm

jrnyman28 wrote:Deen has now also stated 80 dates starting in February.

Why are they in a rush to get a tour started in February? Why not wait for the Summer? Unless they are going to have all the concerts in Miami and San Diego, the country could be in the middle of a blizzard in February. I see a lot of cancelled shows in Journey's future.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby jrnyman28 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:24 pm

JourneyHard wrote:
jrnyman28 wrote:Deen has now also stated 80 dates starting in February.

Why are they in a rush to get a tour started in February? Why not wait for the Summer? Unless they are going to have all the concerts in Miami and San Diego, the country could be in the middle of a blizzard in February. I see a lot of cancelled shows in Journey's future.

1) Blizzards don't usually cancel shows.
2) The road is packed with everyone trying to reschedule tours from the last 2 years.
3) it'll be nice for some indoor shows this time around.
4) ti.ing with the new album release?
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Return to Journey