Freedom hits number one

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Freedom hits number one

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:58 am

I was delighted to find out Journey's new album Freedom hit number one recently according to the Professor of Rock. This is good news. Journey is back on top.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Re: Freedom hits number one

Postby Andrew » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:54 pm

Where?
Andrew
Administrator

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:34 pm

On the Billboard Top 200, Freedom didn't even crack the top 50. The band had a limited window after Revelation to continue with successful album sales and it appears that window has now closed again.

Also the choice of singles for Freedom were really poor.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Memorex » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:34 pm

Andrew wrote:Where?

They nudged in between Taylor and Miley. :)
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:51 am

Exactly...I watch "Professor of Rock" and I never saw this. I looked through the list of past videos and didn't see anything that looked like it could show this...if it is there, it is months and months old. I'd like a link to it so I can see the context.
Last edited by Monker on Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:51 am

Memorex wrote:

They nudged in between Taylor and Miley. :)

I'm sure Neal would love to be sitting there.
Monker
MP3

Postby jestor92 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:22 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:On the Billboard Top 200, Freedom didn't even crack the top 50. The band had a limited window after Revelation to continue with successful album sales and it appears that window has now closed again.

Also the choice of singles for Freedom were really poor.

I think it reached #83 on the top 200 which is terrible for a band of their history.
jestor92
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:51 am

jestor92 wrote:I think it reached #83 on the top 200 which is terrible for a band of their history.

In other words, they are right back to the musical purgatory of the Augeri years.

As much as I love new Journey music - Auger or Arnel - I'm just not convinced that there is a big public appetite for it.
Revelation did well because it was packaged with the hits.

Also, remember when Neal included Generations with concert tickets (similar to many other artists) and then Billboard changed the rules? Generations could have ended up a hit.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby jestor92 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:32 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
jestor92 wrote:I think it reached #83 on the top 200 which is terrible for a band of their history.

In other words, they are right back to the musical purgatory of the Augeri years.

As much as I love new Journey music - Auger or Arnel - I'm just not convinced that there is a big public appetite for it.
Revelation did well because it was packaged with the hits.

Also, remember when Neal included Generations with concert tickets (similar to many other artists) and then Billboard changed the rules? Generations could have ended up a hit.

I think this might be worse than the Augeri years. When Perry left they essentially had to rebuild the brand to show they were still a good band. They finally hit it when they had Arnel’s Hollywood like exposure and the hits recorded for Revelations. Unfortunately the album left a bit to be desired, they have (had) terrible management and PR work done. I’ll be honest if I was just a casual fan of Journey I’d have no idea they released Freedom. They played one song live. If I didn’t know the inner fighting going on I’d be wondering why they were asleep at the wheel for the release.
jestor92
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:19 pm

jestor92 wrote: Unfortunately the album left a bit to be desired, they have (had) terrible management and PR work done.

You discussing Revelation or Freedom?

If Freedom will be remembered at all (and it won't), it's because of the Randy Jackson novelty factor and some sub garage band-level production by Narada.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby jestor92 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:01 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
jestor92 wrote: Unfortunately the album left a bit to be desired, they have (had) terrible management and PR work done.

You discussing Revelation or Freedom?

If Freedom will be remembered at all (and it won't), it's because of the Randy Jackson novelty factor and some sub garage band-level production by Narada.

Revelation
jestor92
8 Track

Postby George_g888 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:34 am

I like the Freedom album more than most, but there is no denying that it was an enormous flop.
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby Pelata » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:12 am

It was #1 on Billboard Mainstream Rock chart.

I have not listened to this album until today, actually. I heard the first single back when it came out. I liked it OK, but the Arnel years have by and large not really done anything for me.

After listening to it today, I can say that, in my opinion, it's too long. But, that said, I think it's the richest Arnel has ever sounded and I liked a few of the songs very much.
Pelata
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:11 am

Pelata wrote:It was #1 on Billboard Mainstream Rock chart.

Which, as discussed elsewhere, doesn't mean shit.

Post-SP Billboard 200 Debuts

Arrival - 56
Red 13 - Didn't chart
Generations - 170
Revelation - 5
Eclipse - 13
Freedom - 88
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby jestor92 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:07 pm

Interestingly Ace Frehley’s recent release, 10000 Volts, charted at #72 on the charts and moved about 13000 units.
jestor92
8 Track

Postby Aaron » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:14 pm

It only hit the crapper here
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am

Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron