Dolly Parton-Open Arms ft. Steve Perry

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Dolly Parton-Open Arms ft. Steve Perry

Postby Memorex » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:05 am

Monker wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:
NoMoreTails wrote: I don't believe they'd use canned vocals without the music being canned as well.

Why not? They did it for several tours. It ultimately resulted in Augeri's firing.

I've been suspicious about this since Arnel went from mediocre performance to sounding brand new...and saying it was because of his monitor not working right. I've always felt the end of Separate Ways is mostly taped vocals that the sound engineer turns up, and turns down Arnel...it sounds the same every time. I don't have the patience or interest to examine beyond that. But, it would not surprise me if they are doing the same with Arnel as they did with Augeri...have whoever is doing the sound turn up the "background" and turn down Arnel...as that person feels it is needed.

Will my username become relevant again? :D
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby kmjrr » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:21 am

No, Arnel is not lip syncing during concerts now. He has sounded better since the referred to change in the in-ear sound mix, but you can tell from videos people post on YouTube that it isn't 2008 better. Here are my videos from the last tour and it's obviously live. The F1 performance being lip-synced is not indicative of his concert performances. I doubt they were given a choice.
Escape
https://youtu.be/nmMnrJbR7mY?feature=shared
Still They Ride
https://youtu.be/vprXtLx5qsU?feature=shared
kmjrr
Ol' 78

Postby jestor92 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:10 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
brywool wrote:TNC, what deep vocal shit? He lip synced a TV performance. That was most likely NOT at Journey's request but is what so many tv things do. Superbowl for instance. After Tapegate, I would bet Journey wouldn't step into that box unless they have to (if say, a network asked them to). I doubt Arnel is any 'deep vocal shit'. The guy knows how to take care of his voice and is constantly training/exercising it. Are you speaking of other stuff here?

Footage from his recent solo tour wasn't so hot either. The idea that Journey had no choice is total crap. The drums were live, the guitar was live etc. Lip syncing, especially with a band of this vocal pedigree, is just not cool.

Singing to tape now isn’t what it was in 2006. Just about every pop act does it, most classic rock bands do it. Live music isn’t so much live anymore than it is about the show and being there anymore. Which really is a sad state for music.
jestor92
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:04 am

kmjrr wrote:No, Arnel is not lip syncing during concerts now. He has sounded better since the referred to change in the in-ear sound mix, but you can tell from videos people post on YouTube that it isn't 2008 better. Here are my videos from the last tour and it's obviously live. The F1 performance being lip-synced is not indicative of his concert performances. I doubt they were given a choice.
Escape
https://youtu.be/nmMnrJbR7mY?feature=shared
Still They Ride
https://youtu.be/vprXtLx5qsU?feature=shared

To be clear, I simply said that the F1 mining could be an indicator of things to come. Footage of the sound check before F1 showed that Jason was handling lead - Arnel wasn't on stage. I remember being told that Augeri wasn't present for a lot of sound checks towards the end of his run. Entirely possible Arnel was still arriving from Manilla.

The only thing I know is this - that F1 performance is clearly not live.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby ebake02 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:23 pm

Everyone is blowing their F1 performance way out of proportion because appearances like this are always lip synced no matter who the artist is, whether it's F1, the Super Bowl or award shows.

As for Arnel's singing, I doubt he's hiding behind taped vocals so I'm not going to play the conspiracy theory game about it. I caught their show in Buffalo on the last leg and Arnel sounded much better than he had in the past but not so much better that it made me suspicious and he certainly didn't sound 2008 era better. The better in-ear mix probably helped but it seems like their taking better care of his voice now that Jason and Deen are singing parts of the set. I have wondered too if he had vocal cord surgery to fix something. (Didn't Steven Tyler do that at one point in the past?)
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby kmjrr » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:33 pm

Early in Arnel's career with Journey they were at the Iowa State Fair and I heard what sounded like Deen singing Separate Ways in the sound check. When I came into the venue Deen waved me and my son to come closer, lifted him up to the stage and gave him drumsticks. I asked if that was him singing Separate Ways and he said yes, how did it sound?
kmjrr
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:21 am

ebake02 wrote:Everyone is blowing their F1 performance way out of proportion because appearances like this are always lip synced no matter who the artist is, whether it's F1, the Super Bowl or award shows.

Journey played the Super Bowl XLVII pre-game show with Rascal Flatts in 2013. It was televised and was completely live. C'mon, knock it off. All of Arnel's TV appearances up until this point have been live. Saying "everybody else is doing it!" or comparing Journey to Ashlee Simpson is just completely pathetic.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby ebake02 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:50 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
ebake02 wrote:Everyone is blowing their F1 performance way out of proportion because appearances like this are always lip synced no matter who the artist is, whether it's F1, the Super Bowl or award shows.

Journey played the Super Bowl XLVII pre-game show with Rascal Flatts in 2013. It was televised and was completely live. C'mon, knock it off. All of Arnel's TV appearances up until this point have been live. Saying "everybody else is doing it!" or comparing Journey to Ashlee Simpson is just completely pathetic.

Fuck off. You can't compare a full set list concert like the Rascal Flatts deal to a five minute appearance where they sing one song. Everybody knows that those appearances are all lip synced whether it's rock, county or pop and, like several people are already said, the band probably didn't have a choice. If you think bands and singers perform 100% live for these random one off TV appearances then you're either naive or just stupid. They perform live on tour when some rock bands don't anymore and that's what counts.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:35 am

ebake02 wrote:Fuck off.

Your Oxford debating talents are clearly wasted here.
Instead of debating Arnel lip-syncing (he is), you should be in front of the UN security council brokering peace between Israel and Hamas.

ebake02 wrote: You can't compare a full set list concert like the Rascal Flatts deal to a five minute appearance where they sing one song.

Here's Journey at the 2009 Super Bowl pre-game.
Again, like the 2013 Super Bowl pre-game it is 100% COMPLETELY LIVE.

https://youtu.be/dpU2W4pRnIM?si=39Fobuu90LaFrO2N

Arnel has been on TV plenty of times and never resorted to fakery in the past.
There's nothing wrong with asking why. The # of songs is irrelevant.

ebake02 wrote:Everybody knows that those appearances are all lip synced whether it's rock, county or pop and, like several people are already said, the band probably didn't have a choice.

Now you are using slimy Fox News tactics.
Saying "everybody knows" is like Murdoch propagandists using "some people say..."
Instead of providing actual examples/facts, you are just inventing anonymous sources and fake consensus.

ebake02 wrote:If you think bands and singers perform 100% live for these random one off TV appearances then you're either naive or just stupid.

And now we are back to the Ashlee Simpson argument.....
Yes I am aware that inferior "talents" routinely fake it.
But we are talking about the MIGHTY Journey here.
Prior to F1, their most recent and high profile one-off TV gig was at Dick Clark's NYE. Unlike other artists, Journey was 100% live. Countless other examples too.

ebake02 wrote:They perform live on tour when some rock bands don't anymore and that's what counts.

Tour hasn't even started yet.
As mentioned, the F1 "performance" could be an indicator of choppy waters ahead.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby jrnyman28 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:19 am

TNC, can’t you just think of the F1 performance as the same as appearing on American Bandstand or Top Of The Pops. Lip-synched “live” performances mandated by the show? This doesn’t seem like a difficult concept. Sure, time could show you correct. But time already shows the other side likely to be correct.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:39 am

jrnyman28 wrote:TNC, can’t you just think of the F1 performance as the same as appearing on American Bandstand or Top Of The Pops. Lip-synched “live” performances mandated by the show?

I simply said it could portend trouble ahead.
It could also be absolutely nothing.
I don't know. You don't know.

In his 15 years with the band, I've never seen them resort to this.
You don't think that merits asking WHY?

jrnyman28 wrote:But time already shows the other side likely to be correct.

If this is the norm and has happened so so so often, please provide examples of the AP-lineup lipping on live TV.
Should be pretty easy.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Monker » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:40 am

jrnyman28 wrote:TNC, can’t you just think of the F1 performance as the same as appearing on American Bandstand or Top Of The Pops. Lip-synched “live” performances mandated by the show? This doesn’t seem like a difficult concept. Sure, time could show you correct. But time already shows the other side likely to be correct.

Just IMO, if you offered Freedom LLC enough money, I bet Neal and Jonathan would even have the entire band fake playing their instruments to tape. The $'s paid to the band is probably why this happened, why it was agreed to do it. I doubt they would agree to do this in their prime. And, I definitely doubt Herbie would have a even presented it to the band...and Perry would have been offended and refused to perform. After seeing the Credit Card legal stuff between Neal and Jon, I would think the band needs the cash just to pay "expenses" for future tours...and "other things".

In addition, about the "in ear monitor" fixing Arnel's issue. His voice sounded worn and torn prior. How can an in ear monitor suddenly fix a his rough sounding vocals? Makes absolutely no sense to me. I remember videos being posted here early on in the tour and people saying how good Arnel sounded and I thought he sounded BAD and posted as such. It had nothing to do with being off key, or whatever...it had to do with his voice starting to get very rough in mid-range...things you can't 'fix' by hearing the monitor.
Monker
MP3

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:40 pm

I have never known Survivor to ever lipsynch a concert of theirs. I can with 99% certainty say that they never did lipsynch a concert of theirs. But they did appear on "Solid Gold" at least 3 times, and those "performances" were always just playbacks of the studio recordings from their albums with them fake playing along to it. A lot of TV shows only broadcasts bands in that manner.

I know that in the mid 80s Survivor were asked to perform on Saturday Night Live but they turned down the offer because they said that bands always sound like shit on that show. I also watched The Cars and some other bands perform on SNL in the 80s that I think were really singing and not lipsynching. But it seems to me that almost everyone has been lipsynching on SNL for a long time now.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:30 am

The purpose of this song is for Dolly Parton to shine. Perry had to sing this way to enhance her vocals, and not outshine her.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:44 am

JourneyHard wrote:The purpose of this song is for Dolly Parton to shine. Perry had to sing this way to enhance her vocals, and not outshine her.

I like that thought. Not sure if it's true. But I could see that.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Aaron » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:08 pm

SIgh .... However, Inception ... :-)
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Stereo LP

Postby yulog » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:18 pm

Someone in that recording studio did these two a great disservice by letting this be recorded ,talk about "breaking the stone".
yulog
Stereo LP

Postby yulog » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:22 pm

Aaron wrote:SIgh .... However, Inception ... :-)

Its a winner, cant stop listening to this cd ,it's catchy as hell.
yulog
Stereo LP

Postby Aaron » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:18 am

It's all I've had on spin since it came out. It's not getting old yet, it's definitely catchy.

yulog wrote:
Aaron wrote:SIgh .... However, Inception ... :-)

Its a winner, cant stop listening to this cd ,it's catchy as hell.
Aaron
Stereo LP

Postby Aaron » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:27 am

There are 5 solid hits on this cd. It needs air play.
Aaron
Stereo LP

Previous

Return to Journey