Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Neal, Steve, Blah Blah Blah....

Postby Memorex » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:34 pm

Memorex
Stereo LP

Re: Neal, Steve, Blah Blah Blah....

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:56 pm

On one hand, no, Perry should not be receiving any payments from Journey's current touring and such.

On the other hand, Schon and Cain were stupid enough to sign a contract allowing Perry to still collect current touring revenue from the band.

Bottom line of this article?..... Journey are currently trying to sell tickets for a stadium tour, and this is mainly just publicity.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby ebake02 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:42 pm

This is a poorly written article full of old comments Neal and Steve have made at various times in the past so it's not really breaking any new ground. That being said, Journey's current set list is full of songs that Steve co-wrote so I don't see any reason why he shouldn't get a small cut of the touring revenue considering those songs are the only reason people still show up to those concerts.

Those songs are really the only reason this band is still selling out 20,000 seat arenas instead of playing county fairs and small clubs.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:16 pm

ebake02 wrote:This is a poorly written article full of old comments Neal and Steve have made at various times in the past so it's not really breaking any new ground. That being said, Journey's current set list is full of songs that Steve co-wrote so I don't see any reason why he shouldn't get a small cut of the touring revenue considering those songs are the only reason people still show up to those concerts.

Those songs are really the only reason this band is still selling out 20,000 seat arenas instead of playing county fairs and small clubs.

Well, yes, Perry would of course collect song writing royalties when they perform the songs. But I don't see any reason why (Other than the fact that Schon and Cain were stupid enough to agree to it) Perry should be collecting checks from touring revenue when he's not in the band?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:54 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:
ebake02 wrote:This is a poorly written article full of old comments Neal and Steve have made at various times in the past so it's not really breaking any new ground. That being said, Journey's current set list is full of songs that Steve co-wrote so I don't see any reason why he shouldn't get a small cut of the touring revenue considering those songs are the only reason people still show up to those concerts.

Well, yes, Perry would of course collect song writing royalties when they perform the songs. But I don't see any reason why (Other than the fact that Schon and Cain were stupid enough to agree to it) Perry should be collecting checks from touring revenue when he's not in the band?

It's not just touring revenue, but ALL revenue, including merchandise sales and album sales...it seems the exit agreement even mentioned "misc. revenue", whatever that could be. It seems Perry's lawyers were pretty thorough in securing a lifetime of revenue from Journey.

The band does not directly pay Perry for the songs they play. I think the venue pays ASCAP who then pays Perry. It's a totally separate issue.
Monker
MP3

Postby Arkansas » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:20 am

Monker wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:

It's not just touring revenue, but ALL revenue, including merchandise sales and album sales...it seems the exit agreement even mentioned "misc. revenue", whatever that could be. It seems Perry's lawyers were pretty thorough in securing a lifetime of revenue from Journey.

The band does not directly pay Perry for the songs they play. I think the venue pays ASCAP who then pays Perry. It's a totally separate issue.

Directly from the source.
https://www.ascap.com/help/ascap-licens ... sic-venues

For example -
How do you pay your members for live performances?
ASCAP collects set lists from both headliners and opening acts of the top tours and concerts each year, and pays the ASCAP writers of every song that was performed – even if it's a cover song. In addition to that, ASCAP members at any stage of their career can submit set lists from live performances through our ASCAP OnStage program. No matter how big or small the venue or where in the country it's located, if we license it, then our members can get paid by ASCAP when they perform there. We also conduct a separate sample survey of live performances at concert halls and educational institutions. You can find more information about live performance payments on our website.

later~
Arkansas
Stereo LP

Return to Journey