Is Neal Schon???

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Is Neal Schon???

Postby Rockindeano » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:07 am

Perhaps the best at what he does?

Now, I know I'm treading dangerously here, but here me out. We all know Neal has been a fantastic player forever, but in the last 7 years or so, I can really see a huge improvement, like if that was possible! Anyway, After hearing Carlos and Clapton pointedly say, Neal is the best out there," I would have to take that as one Hell of an authoritative statement.
Now I know all the Eddie VH fans will come in and shout me down, but seriously, Ed has done absolutely nothing (musicwise) in what? 15 years?? BTW, I am glad as all Hell he beat back cancer(no easy job there). Back to the topic at hand, Neal can play so many different ways now, it's scary.

What do all think??

Dean
User avatar
Rockindeano
Forever Deano
 
Posts: 25864
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:52 am
Location: At Peace

Re: Is Neal Schon???

Postby perryfaithful » Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:04 am

BTW, I am glad as all Hell he beat back cancer(no easy job there).
Dean[/quote]


Yet smokes during his shows! What a J@#$%^&@
User avatar
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:29 am

Postby LAWoman » Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:34 am

Of course Neal is the best at what he does. There are a handful of legendary guitarists and Neal is one of them.
LAWoman
45 RPM
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:07 pm

Postby Bamamutt » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:12 pm

Neal is a great guitar player..No argument there...It's his attitude that makes him look bad...But hey, that's just me...
Bamamutt
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:26 pm

Postby LAWoman » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:06 am

Bamamutt wrote:Neal is a great guitar player..No argument there...It's his attitude that makes him look bad...But hey, that's just me...


It's all in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. Neal says what he thinks. I admire honesty and passion and that's reflected in his work and everything he does--just my opinion, of course. To each his own.
LAWoman
45 RPM
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:07 pm

Postby aragelfstone » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:38 am

He's a good guitar player, but he doesn't seem to be able to carry Journey with it. He should be doing something that wouldn't be compared with the success Journey had with Steve Perry.
aragelfstone
Radio Waves
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:18 am

Postby atthistime » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:34 am

For me, Neals claim to fame is only with Classic Journey. He was a part of what made Classic Journey great, imo, although I did find a few of his solo's annoying then and feel that it's what makes Journey concerts now a drag. When is more, too much?
atthistime
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:55 am

Postby LAWoman » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:09 am

atthistime wrote:For me, Neals claim to fame is only with Classic Journey. He was a part of what made Classic Journey great, imo, although I did find a few of his solo's annoying then and feel that it's what makes Journey concerts now a drag. When is more, too much?


Well, again, to each his/her own. Without Neal, I wouldn't have been a Journey for all these years. It's his playing that make the concerts memorable.
LAWoman
45 RPM
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:07 pm

Postby perryfaithful » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:32 am

Well, again, to each his/her own. Without Neal, I wouldn't have been a Journey for all these years. It's his playing that make the concerts memorable.[/quote]

Then you indeed understand why the Journey stopped for many fans after steve Perry left.
User avatar
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:29 am

Postby Bamamutt » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:15 am

perryfaithful wrote:Well, again, to each his/her own. Without Neal, I wouldn't have been a Journey for all these years. It's his playing that make the concerts memorable.


Then you indeed understand why the Journey stopped for many fans after steve Perry left.[/quote]

Exactly...
Bamamutt
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:26 pm

Postby LAWoman » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:19 pm

perryfaithful wrote:
Then you indeed understand why the Journey stopped for many fans after steve Perry left.


Yes, I can understand. I've always understood that if your main reason for liking Journey's music was Perry, then you might not be a fan of Journey without Perry. What I absolutely don't understand is why some people who are no longer fans of Journey because they only liked Journey with Perry, persist on keeping up with the band for no other apparent reason than criticizing, complaining and generally rehashing the past. If you don't like Journey without Perry, why not walk away? If Neal left Journey, I'd give the band a listen without him and if I didn't care for it, then I'd stop listening. If I still liked them and their new addition, I'd continute to be a fan. Anything else would be a waste of time and energy, wouldn't it?
LAWoman
45 RPM
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:07 pm

Postby perryfaithful » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:29 pm

LAWoman wrote:
perryfaithful wrote:
Then you indeed understand why the Journey stopped for many fans after steve Perry left.


Yes, I can understand. I've always understood that if your main reason for liking Journey's music was Perry, then you might not be a fan of Journey without Perry. What I absolutely don't understand is why some people who are no longer fans of Journey because they only liked Journey with Perry, persist on keeping up with the band for no other apparent reason than criticizing, complaining and generally rehashing the past. If you don't like Journey without Perry, why not walk away? If Neal left Journey, I'd give the band a listen without him and if I didn't care for it, then I'd stop listening. If I still liked them and their new addition, I'd continute to be a fan. Anything else would be a waste of time and energy, wouldn't it?


Ah.......but the classic years are not forgotten. Listened to and Celebrated everyday! In fact, they seem more important than ever!
User avatar
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:29 am

Postby atthistime » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:46 am

I find this to be true, PF. The classic rock stations are adding more of "The Steve Perry Years" to their lineups then ever before. Maybe using "Don't Stop Believin" for the "Monster" movie brought added attention to Mr. Perry's fantastic, irreplaceable vocals. You can always recognize an ROR song instantly as the sound is so Perry influenced, imo.
atthistime
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:55 am

Postby Bamamutt » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:47 am

atthistime wrote:I find this to be true, PF. The classic rock stations are adding more of "The Steve Perry Years" to their lineups then ever before. Maybe using "Don't Stop Believin" for the "Monster" movie brought added attention to Mr. Perry's fantastic, irreplaceable vocals. You can always recognize an ROR song instantly as the sound is so Perry influenced, imo.


I agree....I mean locally when Journey plays on the radio, and not just the classic rock stations either, all stations, it is Journey with Steve Perry on vocals...Again, Neal Schon, great guitarist, one of the best in the business but when you talk to people about Journey, they are always talking about Perry's great vocals...
Bamamutt
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:26 pm

Postby LAWoman » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:55 am

Bamamutt wrote:
atthistime wrote:I find this to be true, PF. The classic rock stations are adding more of "The Steve Perry Years" to their lineups then ever before. Maybe using "Don't Stop Believin" for the "Monster" movie brought added attention to Mr. Perry's fantastic, irreplaceable vocals. You can always recognize an ROR song instantly as the sound is so Perry influenced, imo.


I agree....I mean locally when Journey plays on the radio, and not just the classic rock stations either, all stations, it is Journey with Steve Perry on vocals...Again, Neal Schon, great guitarist, one of the best in the business but when you talk to people about Journey, they are always talking about Perry's great vocals...


You actually hear Journey played on non-classic rock stations? What is the format of the stations where you hear them? I rarely hear even classic Journey on the classic rock stations in this area.
LAWoman
45 RPM
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:07 pm

Postby perryfaithful » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:28 am

LAWoman wrote: I rarely hear even classic Journey on the classic rock stations in this area.


In LA?? Barb......Aren't you in Uncle Joes territory??
User avatar
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:29 am

Postby Bamamutt » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:35 pm

LAWoman wrote:
You actually hear Journey played on non-classic rock stations? What is the format of the stations where you hear them? I rarely hear even classic Journey on the classic rock stations in this area.


The 3 main stations that I was referring too are..
wzyp 104.3.fm..Plays 80s through the hits of today...
star99 wahr 99.1 fm...Plays music of the 70s through today
wtak 106.1 fm...Classic Rock

They play Journey daily and it is the classic era that they play..Only once did one play Journey with Augeri singing and that was almost 2 years ago...
Bamamutt
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:26 pm

Postby Journeynut » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:56 pm

journey is on here too.
106.9 the fox (classic rock station)
101.3 2wD(hits of the 80's to today)
107.7 lite fm

A flip of the dial and I hear the classic songs.
Anyway, what was I saying.........
User avatar
Journeynut
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:53 am

Postby jrnyjetster » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:48 am

atthistime wrote:For me, Neals claim to fame is only with Classic Journey. He was a part of what made Classic Journey great, imo, although I did find a few of his solo's annoying then and feel that it's what makes Journey concerts now a drag. When is more, too much?


:roll: Oh for cripe sakes...go listen to some Barry fuckin' Manilow then....geesh...unfrigginbelieveable! :lol:
User avatar
jrnyjetster
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:17 am
Location: Florida, USA

Postby atthistime » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:36 am

8)
atthistime
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:55 am

Postby LAWoman » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:13 pm

perryfaithful wrote:
LAWoman wrote: I rarely hear even classic Journey on the classic rock stations in this area.


In LA?? Barb......Aren't you in Uncle Joes territory??


Yes, but Uncle Joe used to be the morning man and then they moved him to pm drive so I never hear him anymore, in fact I stopped listening to Arrow because the morning guy who replaced Uncle Joe sucked so much. Uncle Joe played classic Journey very rarely, at least when I was listening. They were played if they had a show coming up or in that rare event when Perry was coming around. It's more of a Led Zep station.
LAWoman
45 RPM
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:07 pm

Postby arden » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:31 pm

Arrow93 plays Classic Journey several times a day. I hear them at least two or three times no matter what time of day I tune in...every time I tune in.


LAWoman wrote:
perryfaithful wrote:
LAWoman wrote: I rarely hear even classic Journey on the classic rock stations in this area.


In LA?? Barb......Aren't you in Uncle Joes territory??


Yes, but Uncle Joe used to be the morning man and then they moved him to pm drive so I never hear him anymore, in fact I stopped listening to Arrow because the morning guy who replaced Uncle Joe sucked so much. Uncle Joe played classic Journey very rarely, at least when I was listening. They were played if they had a show coming up or in that rare event when Perry was coming around. It's more of a Led Zep station.
arden
Radio Waves
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:03 am

Postby LAWoman » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:23 pm

arden wrote:Arrow93 plays Classic Journey several times a day. I hear them at least two or three times no matter what time of day I tune in...every time I tune in.


LAWoman wrote:
perryfaithful wrote:
LAWoman wrote: I rarely hear even classic Journey on the classic rock stations in this area.


In LA?? Barb......Aren't you in Uncle Joes territory??


Yes, but Uncle Joe used to be the morning man and then they moved him to pm drive so I never hear him anymore, in fact I stopped listening to Arrow because the morning guy who replaced Uncle Joe sucked so much. Uncle Joe played classic Journey very rarely, at least when I was listening. They were played if they had a show coming up or in that rare event when Perry was coming around. It's more of a Led Zep station.


They sure must be playing them some other time than morning drive because I never hear them.
LAWoman
45 RPM
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:07 pm

Postby arden » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:37 pm

I believe their average is about once every two hours.

I've had them on for a half an hour and they have played DSB and Are You Feeling That Way. I've heard Uncle Joe play them several times.

The frequency of their Classic Journey is one reason I've been listening to Arrow 93 for several years.



LAWoman wrote:
arden wrote:Arrow93 plays Classic Journey several times a day. I hear them at least two or three times no matter what time of day I tune in...every time I tune in.


LAWoman wrote:
perryfaithful wrote:
LAWoman wrote: I rarely hear even classic Journey on the classic rock stations in this area.


In LA?? Barb......Aren't you in Uncle Joes territory??


Yes, but Uncle Joe used to be the morning man and then they moved him to pm drive so I never hear him anymore, in fact I stopped listening to Arrow because the morning guy who replaced Uncle Joe sucked so much. Uncle Joe played classic Journey very rarely, at least when I was listening. They were played if they had a show coming up or in that rare event when Perry was coming around. It's more of a Led Zep station.


They sure must be playing them some other time than morning drive because I never hear them.[/qute]
arden
Radio Waves
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:03 am

Postby LAWoman » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:43 pm

arden wrote:I believe their average is about once every two hours.

I've had them on for a half an hour and they have played DSB and Are You Feeling That Way. I've heard Uncle Joe play them several times.

The frequency of their Classic Journey is one reason I've been listening to Arrow 93 for several years.



Funny how two people can have such a different experience of the same thing. If I'd been hearing some Journey I may not have dumped them a couple months back for a progressive rock station on my morning drive.
LAWoman
45 RPM
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:07 pm

Postby atthistime » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:05 am

Excuse the pun, but when you're an ardent Perry fan you get kudos... :wink:
atthistime
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:55 am

Postby arden » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:59 am

Yes, I was thinking the same thing.


[/quote]

Funny how two people can have such a different experience of the same thing. If I'd been hearing some Journey I may not have dumped them a couple months back for a progressive rock station on my morning drive.[/quote]
arden
Radio Waves
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:03 am

Postby ClassicJrnyPlease » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:54 am

LAWoman wrote:
Bamamutt wrote:Neal is a great guitar player..No argument there...It's his attitude that makes him look bad...But hey, that's just me...


It's all in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. Neal says what he thinks. I admire honesty and passion and that's reflected in his work and everything he does--just my opinion, of course. To each his own.


Barb, sometimes it's better to use a little diplomacy. I wouldn't categorize Neal as "saying what he thinks." There is a way to do that. Neal comes off quite caustic, much of the time.
User avatar
ClassicJrnyPlease
Radio Waves
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:27 am

Postby LAWoman » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:09 pm

ClassicJrnyPlease wrote:
LAWoman wrote:
Bamamutt wrote:Neal is a great guitar player..No argument there...It's his attitude that makes him look bad...But hey, that's just me...


It's all in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. Neal says what he thinks. I admire honesty and passion and that's reflected in his work and everything he does--just my opinion, of course. To each his own.


Barb, sometimes it's better to use a little diplomacy. I wouldn't categorize Neal as "saying what he thinks." There is a way to do that. Neal comes off quite caustic, much of the time.


Again--to each his own. I don't find Neal "caustic". He is not cruel or insulting, just straightforward. I find his reactions and comments refreshing. It's not like he is a politician or something, he's a rock musician, afterall.
LAWoman
45 RPM
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:07 pm

Postby Bamamutt » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:53 pm

LAWoman wrote:
ClassicJrnyPlease wrote:
LAWoman wrote:
Bamamutt wrote:Neal is a great guitar player..No argument there...It's his attitude that makes him look bad...But hey, that's just me...


It's all in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. Neal says what he thinks. I admire honesty and passion and that's reflected in his work and everything he does--just my opinion, of course. To each his own.


Barb, sometimes it's better to use a little diplomacy. I wouldn't categorize Neal as "saying what he thinks." There is a way to do that. Neal comes off quite caustic, much of the time.


Again--to each his own. I don't find Neal "caustic". He is not cruel or insulting, just straightforward. I find his reactions and comments refreshing. It's not like he is a politician or something, he's a rock musician, afterall.



I have to agree with what classicjrnyPlease wrote..."Sometimes it is better to use alittle diplomacy...One speaking their mind is find but it really shouldn't insult other if one has a true point to get across... :wink:
Bamamutt
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:26 pm

Next

Return to Journey

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests