Is Neal Schon???

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby Journeynut » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:19 pm

Speaking your mind is one thing but when you are a musician or performer, and you have a product to sell, whether it be a CD or tickets to a concert, you then have a responsibilty to not alienate people because of comments that you make. If fans take it as an insult, they will dump you. Diplomacy is a good idea. Unless you don't give a @#$% which is the attitude that Neal gives at times. In that case, he has no reason to complain about anything.
Anyway, what was I saying.........
Journeynut
Ol' 78

Postby LAWoman » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:23 am

Journeynut wrote:Speaking your mind is one thing but when you are a musician or performer, and you have a product to sell, whether it be a CD or tickets to a concert, you then have a responsibilty to not alienate people because of comments that you make. If fans take it as an insult, they will dump you. Diplomacy is a good idea. Unless you don't give a @#$% which is the attitude that Neal gives at times. In that case, he has no reason to complain about anything.

Again--if that's your opinion, that's your opinion. But the other side to that is that Neal has done pretty good in his career so far speaking his mind and at the age of 50,--take it or leave it. Anybody who is "alienated" by something he has said would probably have been "alienated" even if he shut his mouth.

His guitar does the talking--you either like his playing or you don't. It's all just opinion. If I want a diplomat, I'll check elsewhere. I admire his fearlessness to just say what he thinks--if you don't, well, that's your opinion. I mean, I think Perry is an ass on a personal level, but he definately has (or had at least) the voice and the musical ability that is one in a billion. So who cares about his personality.
LAWoman
45 RPM

Postby Journeynut » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:37 am

LAWoman wrote:[quote="Journeynut" I mean, I think Perry is an ass on a personal level, but he definately has (or had at least) the voice and the musical ability that is one in a billion. So who cares about his personality.

I do not call people names, and think it is classless to do so.
No wonder you think so much of neals tactics.
Anyway, what was I saying.........
Journeynut
Ol' 78

Postby LAWoman » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:58 am

Journeynut wrote:
LAWoman wrote:[quote="Journeynut" I mean, I think Perry is an ass on a personal level, but he definately has (or had at least) the voice and the musical ability that is one in a billion. So who cares about his personality.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion.
LAWoman
45 RPM

Postby jrnyjetster » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:58 am

:lol:
If I may chime in on this conversation, I'd bet Neal bites his tongue more often than not and doesn't publicly say half the schitt he'd like to say...;)
jrnyjetster
Cassette Tape

Prove it

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:19 pm

I'd like to see some examples of where Schon insulted Perry....
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Re: Prove it

Postby Rockindeano » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:08 am

Eric wrote:I'd like to see some examples of where Schon insulted Perry....

I agree that I think Neal bites his tongue, even in Behind the Music, and really wants to say what he truly believes...I KNOW Neal is pissed about the Perry episode, in which he was hurt, the delay in which it caused, the lost momentum(Trial by Fire), and the fact that EVEN today, Neal has to "connect" with Perry via attorney...Now that's fucking ridiculous. Perry needs to grow up up and talk to his former family of bandmates. Have I said I love Perry and his music and contributions?

Oh, and about Neal "insulting" Perry? Was Steve Perry an attendee at Neals' wedding??

Dean
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby atthistime » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:01 am

Which wedding?
atthistime
Ol' 78

Postby perryfaithful » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:14 am

atthistime wrote:Which wedding?

Exactly my question also

Too funny
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Still waiting

Postby Eric » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:19 am

Still waiting for those examples
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Neal's Wedding

Postby Liz22562 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:39 am

Reply to Deano:

If you are an informed Journey fan...you 'gotta' know that Neal Schon has been married several times! (Don't really care how many times the man marries - it's his life!).

Steve Perry, in fact, sang at the wedding at Neals first marriage.

[/quote]
Liz22562
8 Track

Postby atthistime » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:39 am

I totally agree, Liz. It's his life. People should be allowed to live the life they choose.

Do you know what Perry sang at the time?
atthistime
Ol' 78

Perry Wedding Song

Postby Liz22562 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:13 am

I will have to dig a little bit to find the article and pictures of Steve Perry singing at Neal's wedding. He actually sang inside the church and the title of the song was listed. It was a fan club site that I read the information on. Alas, this is also going back to the early, early 80's. I'll see what I can find for you!!!!!!
Liz22562
8 Track

Perry Wedding Song

Postby Liz22562 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:24 am

I will have to dig a little bit to find the article and pictures of Steve Perry singing at Neal's wedding. He actually sang inside the church and the title of the song was listed. It was a fan club site that I read the information on. Alas, this is also going back to the early, early 80's. I'll see what I can find for you!!!!!!
Liz22562
8 Track

Re: Is Neal Schon???

Postby Fernando Ramirez » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:56 pm

Rock'ndeano wrote:Perhaps the best at what he does?

Now I know all the Eddie VH fans will come in and shout me down, but seriously, Ed has done absolutely nothing (musicwise) in what? 15 years??

Dean

Neal is extremely talented, without a doubt. But it doesn't matter that EVH has not really innovated in several years.. EVH's position in the All Time Rock Guitarist List is safely secured. In the long run, EVH's contributions will be remembered WAY MORE than Neal's. EVH's impact on the guitar was phenomenal... it continues to this day. It is what it is, which is innovative, whereas Neal has not innovated. Neal didn't help define hard rock music the way that EVH did with his performances, and his visionary guitar techniques (tapping, tray table, guitar building, his artwork, his production, his songwriting). EVH's only electric equivalent is Jimi Hendrix.

Neal is a gifted soloist... very tasty, with the ability to come up with some really beautiful melodic passages... and the ability to skirt through different genres (jazz, rock, metal). But the same could be said of such players as Steve Lukather, Gary Moore, Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and Randy Rhoads. If you look at it honestly, and if you know anything about guitar players, you will realize Neal is not any better than any of those players melodically, technically, tone-wise or any way you can slice it.

All I'm saying is that no matter how great Neal is today, and how not so great EVH is currently, in the grand scope of things... EVH has secured his position... and he will be remembered for his contributions way more than Neal would be.
Fernando Ramirez
45 RPM

Postby Rockindeano » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:31 am

Oh, I'm sorry...I was talking about Neals' last wedding, to Amber, about a year, year and a half ago???
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby jrnyjetster » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:18 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:Oh, I'm sorry...I was talking about Neals' last wedding, to Amber, about a year, year and a half ago???

That was more like 3 years ago! Steve Augeri sang 'With Your Love' at that wedding. :wink:
jrnyjetster
Cassette Tape

Re: Is Neal Schon???

Postby Rockindeano » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:00 pm

[Fernando Ramirez wrote-

Neal is extremely talented, without a doubt. But it doesn't matter that EVH has not really innovated in several years.. EVH's position in the All Time Rock Guitarist List is safely secured. In the long run, EVH's contributions will be remembered WAY MORE than Neal's. EVH's impact on the guitar was phenomenal... it continues to this day. It is what it is, which is innovative, whereas Neal has not innovated. Neal didn't help define hard rock music the way that EVH did with his performances, and his visionary guitar techniques (tapping, tray table, guitar building, his artwork, his production, his songwriting). EVH's only electric equivalent is Jimi Hendrix.

[Hey listen-

Maybe Eddie is MORE popular because a band was NAMED after him!! Neal is in a BAND and it is not called Nealsjourney. Also, I don't knoe Ed personally, but I DO KNOW people in the business, and from what I can gather, Ed is a major asshole. Look, David Lee Roth butted heads with him about thousand times(but hey that's Dave)...Hell, Sammy even left once too!! The real reason Sammy came back, and I have TAPE of the Stern show to prove it, is to cash in...I bet you my left testie that Eddie and Sammt don't like each other..AND I hear Sammy was a bit pissed about the whole Soul Sirkus thing collapsing...Sammy and Neal are buddies.....Now, I am so glad Eddie beat cancer and have always thought of him as the best, but that simply isn't true anylonger......Neal may not have "the name" but he does have the adoration of his peers, which to me is much more valuable. Didn't Clapton and Carlos call Neal the BEST at what he does??? To me, that speaks volumes/

Dean
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Fernando Ramirez » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:11 am

I suppose I'm not talking about popularity. In terms of the way he'll be remembered, in the guitar history books... EVH (because of his contributions) will rank much higher than Neal in "guitar history."

Much of what I've read recently does indicate that Eddie is not easy to deal with now... that's he's changed profoundly. So what! And I agree that he hasn't done anything innovative in the last 15 years. But that doesn't change what he did innovate during his career.

Does what EVH has or hasn't done (or his personality now) change the facts and make Neal the best at what he does? I don't believe so. If Neal is the best at what he does, then in my opinion, he would have had to "innovate" something on the level of EVH and Hendrix. Then he would be the best at what he does. But saying that you ignore other players that are also melodically, and technically better than him (Lukather, Satriani, Vai, Gary Moore, Brian May).

I don't mean to denigrate Neal's contributions. He's not the best out there, but he is very very good. Very melodic, tasty.. capable of some really beautiful, haunting melodic patches. He sometimes tends to noodle somewhat (like Yngwie does)... but his melodic turns are fantastic.
Fernando Ramirez
45 RPM

Yip

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:26 pm

Fernando:

Great post. You are right that EVH will be remembered more fondly than Schon. We Schon fans tend to overrate him because he is underrated by the mass....I'm sure you can appreciate that.

Eric
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby atthistime » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:29 am

In my opinion, I feel that Schon defined himself most with Classic Journey and feel that this is where he will have left his mark on the music scene, and be appreciated for the most part.
atthistime
Ol' 78

cept

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:43 am

atthistime:

You're right....but also, he will be ridiculed the most for that era too.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby atthistime » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:54 am

Only because of his expressing his right to free speech. Silence IS golden.
atthistime
Ol' 78

Postby OldJourney » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:09 am

Journeynut wrote:

Journeynut, I'd say you rest your case. Those are truly words to live by.
There's No Time Like The Present
OldJourney
Radio Waves

Re: Perry Wedding Song

Postby OldJourney » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:12 am

Liz22562 wrote:I will have to dig a little bit to find the article and pictures of Steve Perry singing at Neal's wedding. He actually sang inside the church and the title of the song was listed. It was a fan club site that I read the information on. Alas, this is also going back to the early, early 80's. I'll see what I can find for you!!!!!!

It was actually 1987, I believe, August or September, and Steve Perry sang "Let It Be Me." Neal married Beth Buckley, a lovely blonde, that time. The union produced two children...Miles and Elizabeth. Miles was a little looker; he resembled his mom.
There's No Time Like The Present
OldJourney
Radio Waves

Postby perryfaithful » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:17 am

OldJourney wrote:
Liz22562 wrote:I will have to dig a little bit to find the article and pictures of Steve Perry singing at Neal's wedding. He actually sang inside the church and the title of the song was listed. It was a fan club site that I read the information on. Alas, this is also going back to the early, early 80's. I'll see what I can find for you!!!!!!

It was actually 1987, I believe, August or September, and Steve Perry sang "Let It Be Me." Neal married Beth Buckley, a lovely blonde, that time. The union produced two children...Miles and Elizabeth. Miles was a little looker; he resembled his mom.

OJ.....you little historian you!!
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby Bamamutt » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:52 pm

perryfaithful wrote:
OldJourney wrote:

OJ.....you little historian you!!

LOL..Oh man, all this talk about the 80s and the fan club news letter, I just had to go and look through some of my old boxes and I came across a pile of the "Journey Force" newsletters.. :D

Oh Man!..I found an order form for the "Schon Guitar"!!..LMAO..Man this is a flash back!!!... :P
Bamamutt
Ol' 78

Postby Liz22562 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:37 am

Thank you perryfaithful!!!!!!!

I remember the article and the pictures so well........
Liz22562
8 Track

Postby perryfaithful » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:31 am

Liz22562 wrote:Thank you perryfaithful!!!!!!!

I remember the article and the pictures so well........

Oh not me Liz......that was OldJourney!! Wish I had a copy too. What do you say OJ??
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby Liz22562 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:08 pm

Oops, sorry perryfaithful, and thank you oldjourney!
Liz22562
8 Track

PreviousNext

Return to Journey