Page 2 of 3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:19 pm
by Journeynut
Speaking your mind is one thing but when you are a musician or performer, and you have a product to sell, whether it be a CD or tickets to a concert, you then have a responsibilty to not alienate people because of comments that you make. If fans take it as an insult, they will dump you. Diplomacy is a good idea. Unless you don't give a @#$% which is the attitude that Neal gives at times. In that case, he has no reason to complain about anything.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:23 am
by LAWoman
Journeynut wrote:Speaking your mind is one thing but when you are a musician or performer, and you have a product to sell, whether it be a CD or tickets to a concert, you then have a responsibilty to not alienate people because of comments that you make. If fans take it as an insult, they will dump you. Diplomacy is a good idea. Unless you don't give a @#$% which is the attitude that Neal gives at times. In that case, he has no reason to complain about anything.


Again--if that's your opinion, that's your opinion. But the other side to that is that Neal has done pretty good in his career so far speaking his mind and at the age of 50,--take it or leave it. Anybody who is "alienated" by something he has said would probably have been "alienated" even if he shut his mouth.

His guitar does the talking--you either like his playing or you don't. It's all just opinion. If I want a diplomat, I'll check elsewhere. I admire his fearlessness to just say what he thinks--if you don't, well, that's your opinion. I mean, I think Perry is an ass on a personal level, but he definately has (or had at least) the voice and the musical ability that is one in a billion. So who cares about his personality.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:37 am
by Journeynut
LAWoman wrote:[quote="Journeynut" I mean, I think Perry is an ass on a personal level, but he definately has (or had at least) the voice and the musical ability that is one in a billion. So who cares about his personality.



I do not call people names, and think it is classless to do so.
No wonder you think so much of neals tactics.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:58 am
by LAWoman
Journeynut wrote:
LAWoman wrote:[quote="Journeynut" I mean, I think Perry is an ass on a personal level, but he definately has (or had at least) the voice and the musical ability that is one in a billion. So who cares about his personality.



I do not call people names, and think it is classless to do so.
No wonder you think so much of neals tactics.


You are certainly welcome to your opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:58 am
by jrnyjetster
:lol:
If I may chime in on this conversation, I'd bet Neal bites his tongue more often than not and doesn't publicly say half the schitt he'd like to say...;)

Prove it

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:19 pm
by Eric
I'd like to see some examples of where Schon insulted Perry....

Re: Prove it

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:08 am
by Rockindeano
Eric wrote:I'd like to see some examples of where Schon insulted Perry....


I agree that I think Neal bites his tongue, even in Behind the Music, and really wants to say what he truly believes...I KNOW Neal is pissed about the Perry episode, in which he was hurt, the delay in which it caused, the lost momentum(Trial by Fire), and the fact that EVEN today, Neal has to "connect" with Perry via attorney...Now that's fucking ridiculous. Perry needs to grow up up and talk to his former family of bandmates. Have I said I love Perry and his music and contributions?

Oh, and about Neal "insulting" Perry? Was Steve Perry an attendee at Neals' wedding??

Dean

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:01 am
by atthistime
Which wedding?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:14 am
by perryfaithful
atthistime wrote:Which wedding?


Exactly my question also

Too funny

Still waiting

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:19 am
by Eric
Still waiting for those examples

Neal's Wedding

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:39 am
by Liz22562
Reply to Deano:

If you are an informed Journey fan...you 'gotta' know that Neal Schon has been married several times! (Don't really care how many times the man marries - it's his life!).

Steve Perry, in fact, sang at the wedding at Neals first marriage.


[/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:39 am
by atthistime
I totally agree, Liz. It's his life. People should be allowed to live the life they choose.

Do you know what Perry sang at the time?

Perry Wedding Song

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:13 am
by Liz22562
I will have to dig a little bit to find the article and pictures of Steve Perry singing at Neal's wedding. He actually sang inside the church and the title of the song was listed. It was a fan club site that I read the information on. Alas, this is also going back to the early, early 80's. I'll see what I can find for you!!!!!!

Perry Wedding Song

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:24 am
by Liz22562
I will have to dig a little bit to find the article and pictures of Steve Perry singing at Neal's wedding. He actually sang inside the church and the title of the song was listed. It was a fan club site that I read the information on. Alas, this is also going back to the early, early 80's. I'll see what I can find for you!!!!!!

Re: Is Neal Schon???

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:56 pm
by Fernando Ramirez
Rock'ndeano wrote:Perhaps the best at what he does?

Now I know all the Eddie VH fans will come in and shout me down, but seriously, Ed has done absolutely nothing (musicwise) in what? 15 years??

Dean


Neal is extremely talented, without a doubt. But it doesn't matter that EVH has not really innovated in several years.. EVH's position in the All Time Rock Guitarist List is safely secured. In the long run, EVH's contributions will be remembered WAY MORE than Neal's. EVH's impact on the guitar was phenomenal... it continues to this day. It is what it is, which is innovative, whereas Neal has not innovated. Neal didn't help define hard rock music the way that EVH did with his performances, and his visionary guitar techniques (tapping, tray table, guitar building, his artwork, his production, his songwriting). EVH's only electric equivalent is Jimi Hendrix.

Neal is a gifted soloist... very tasty, with the ability to come up with some really beautiful melodic passages... and the ability to skirt through different genres (jazz, rock, metal). But the same could be said of such players as Steve Lukather, Gary Moore, Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and Randy Rhoads. If you look at it honestly, and if you know anything about guitar players, you will realize Neal is not any better than any of those players melodically, technically, tone-wise or any way you can slice it.

All I'm saying is that no matter how great Neal is today, and how not so great EVH is currently, in the grand scope of things... EVH has secured his position... and he will be remembered for his contributions way more than Neal would be.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:31 am
by Rockindeano
Oh, I'm sorry...I was talking about Neals' last wedding, to Amber, about a year, year and a half ago???

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:18 am
by jrnyjetster
Rock'ndeano wrote:Oh, I'm sorry...I was talking about Neals' last wedding, to Amber, about a year, year and a half ago???


That was more like 3 years ago! Steve Augeri sang 'With Your Love' at that wedding. :wink:

Re: Is Neal Schon???

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:00 pm
by Rockindeano
[Fernando Ramirez wrote-


Neal is extremely talented, without a doubt. But it doesn't matter that EVH has not really innovated in several years.. EVH's position in the All Time Rock Guitarist List is safely secured. In the long run, EVH's contributions will be remembered WAY MORE than Neal's. EVH's impact on the guitar was phenomenal... it continues to this day. It is what it is, which is innovative, whereas Neal has not innovated. Neal didn't help define hard rock music the way that EVH did with his performances, and his visionary guitar techniques (tapping, tray table, guitar building, his artwork, his production, his songwriting). EVH's only electric equivalent is Jimi Hendrix.

[Hey listen-

Maybe Eddie is MORE popular because a band was NAMED after him!! Neal is in a BAND and it is not called Nealsjourney. Also, I don't knoe Ed personally, but I DO KNOW people in the business, and from what I can gather, Ed is a major asshole. Look, David Lee Roth butted heads with him about thousand times(but hey that's Dave)...Hell, Sammy even left once too!! The real reason Sammy came back, and I have TAPE of the Stern show to prove it, is to cash in...I bet you my left testie that Eddie and Sammt don't like each other..AND I hear Sammy was a bit pissed about the whole Soul Sirkus thing collapsing...Sammy and Neal are buddies.....Now, I am so glad Eddie beat cancer and have always thought of him as the best, but that simply isn't true anylonger......Neal may not have "the name" but he does have the adoration of his peers, which to me is much more valuable. Didn't Clapton and Carlos call Neal the BEST at what he does??? To me, that speaks volumes/

Dean

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:11 am
by Fernando Ramirez
I suppose I'm not talking about popularity. In terms of the way he'll be remembered, in the guitar history books... EVH (because of his contributions) will rank much higher than Neal in "guitar history."

Much of what I've read recently does indicate that Eddie is not easy to deal with now... that's he's changed profoundly. So what! And I agree that he hasn't done anything innovative in the last 15 years. But that doesn't change what he did innovate during his career.

Does what EVH has or hasn't done (or his personality now) change the facts and make Neal the best at what he does? I don't believe so. If Neal is the best at what he does, then in my opinion, he would have had to "innovate" something on the level of EVH and Hendrix. Then he would be the best at what he does. But saying that you ignore other players that are also melodically, and technically better than him (Lukather, Satriani, Vai, Gary Moore, Brian May).

I don't mean to denigrate Neal's contributions. He's not the best out there, but he is very very good. Very melodic, tasty.. capable of some really beautiful, haunting melodic patches. He sometimes tends to noodle somewhat (like Yngwie does)... but his melodic turns are fantastic.

Yip

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:26 pm
by Eric
Fernando:

Great post. You are right that EVH will be remembered more fondly than Schon. We Schon fans tend to overrate him because he is underrated by the mass....I'm sure you can appreciate that.

Eric

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:29 am
by atthistime
In my opinion, I feel that Schon defined himself most with Classic Journey and feel that this is where he will have left his mark on the music scene, and be appreciated for the most part.

cept

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:43 am
by Eric
atthistime:

You're right....but also, he will be ridiculed the most for that era too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:54 am
by atthistime
Only because of his expressing his right to free speech. Silence IS golden.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:09 am
by OldJourney
Journeynut wrote:
LAWoman wrote:[quote="Journeynut" I mean, I think Perry is an ass on a personal level, but he definately has (or had at least) the voice and the musical ability that is one in a billion. So who cares about his personality.



I do not call people names, and think it is classless to do so.
No wonder you think so much of neals tactics.




Journeynut, I'd say you rest your case. Those are truly words to live by.

Re: Perry Wedding Song

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:12 am
by OldJourney
Liz22562 wrote:I will have to dig a little bit to find the article and pictures of Steve Perry singing at Neal's wedding. He actually sang inside the church and the title of the song was listed. It was a fan club site that I read the information on. Alas, this is also going back to the early, early 80's. I'll see what I can find for you!!!!!!




It was actually 1987, I believe, August or September, and Steve Perry sang "Let It Be Me." Neal married Beth Buckley, a lovely blonde, that time. The union produced two children...Miles and Elizabeth. Miles was a little looker; he resembled his mom.

Re: Perry Wedding Song

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:17 am
by perryfaithful
OldJourney wrote:
Liz22562 wrote:I will have to dig a little bit to find the article and pictures of Steve Perry singing at Neal's wedding. He actually sang inside the church and the title of the song was listed. It was a fan club site that I read the information on. Alas, this is also going back to the early, early 80's. I'll see what I can find for you!!!!!!




It was actually 1987, I believe, August or September, and Steve Perry sang "Let It Be Me." Neal married Beth Buckley, a lovely blonde, that time. The union produced two children...Miles and Elizabeth. Miles was a little looker; he resembled his mom.


OJ.....you little historian you!!

Re: Perry Wedding Song

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:52 pm
by Bamamutt
perryfaithful wrote:
OldJourney wrote:
Liz22562 wrote:I will have to dig a little bit to find the article and pictures of Steve Perry singing at Neal's wedding. He actually sang inside the church and the title of the song was listed. It was a fan club site that I read the information on. Alas, this is also going back to the early, early 80's. I'll see what I can find for you!!!!!!




It was actually 1987, I believe, August or September, and Steve Perry sang "Let It Be Me." Neal married Beth Buckley, a lovely blonde, that time. The union produced two children...Miles and Elizabeth. Miles was a little looker; he resembled his mom.


OJ.....you little historian you!!


LOL..Oh man, all this talk about the 80s and the fan club news letter, I just had to go and look through some of my old boxes and I came across a pile of the "Journey Force" newsletters.. :D

Oh Man!..I found an order form for the "Schon Guitar"!!..LMAO..Man this is a flash back!!!... :P

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:37 am
by Liz22562
Thank you perryfaithful!!!!!!!

I remember the article and the pictures so well........

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:31 am
by perryfaithful
Liz22562 wrote:Thank you perryfaithful!!!!!!!

I remember the article and the pictures so well........


Oh not me Liz......that was OldJourney!! Wish I had a copy too. What do you say OJ??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:08 pm
by Liz22562
Oops, sorry perryfaithful, and thank you oldjourney!