Another Missed Year for Journey!

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Another Missed Year for Journey!

Postby perryfaithful » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:35 pm

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees Announced
by Devorah Klein | 09.13.2004

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has just announced the nominees for induction in 2005 and they include such diverse groups as the Sex Pistols, U2, and Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five. The Sex Pistols were denied nominations last year when contemporaries the Ramones and the Clash were nominated. This year, the Sex Pistols are joined by Patti Smith and the Stooges to round out the punk-era noms. The surprise nomination of hip-hop pioneers Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five signals a new era for the Hall of Fame. In order for an artist to be eligible for enshrinement, their initial release must be 25 years old. In 1979 and early 1980 Flash & the Five released two singles, ?Superappin? and ?Freedom.? The group's recognition could signal the start of a wave of hip-hop inductions into the Hall.

Other 2005 nominees include Lynyrd Skynyrd, Gram Parsons, Randy Newman, country legend Conway Twitty, and R&B acts the O'Jays, Percy Sledge, and Wanda Jackson. Voters received ballots in the mail last week and the inductees will be announced sometime in November. The Hall?s 20th enshrinement ceremony is scheduled to take place in New York in March.

Is there some controversy over the 10,000 petition for Journey? That it perhaps was never submitted??
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby jrnyjetster » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:40 am

:? With the exception of U2 and Skynyrd, that list is a fucking joke! :x
jrnyjetster
Cassette Tape

Re: Another Missed Year for Journey!

Postby OldJourney » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:47 am

perryfaithful wrote:
Is there some controversy over the 10,000 petition for Journey? That it perhaps was never submitted??

Good question! Anybody have the answer, sans the smartass remarks? :roll:
There's No Time Like The Present
OldJourney
Radio Waves

Postby perryfaithful » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:26 am

OldJourney wrote: Anybody have the answer, sans the smartass remarks?[/b][/color] :roll:

Wasn't the petition over 10,000 signatures at the end? I signed it....way back

What the hell happened?
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby aragelfstone » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:03 am

perryfaithful wrote:

Wasn't the petition over 10,000 signatures at the end? I signed it....way back

What the hell happened?

I didn't sign it. As much fuss as was being made over it I don't see why it wouldn't have been sent. That is, unless there weren't really enough signatures.
aragelfstone
Radio Waves

Postby Monker » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:28 pm

OldJourney wrote:
perryfaithful wrote:

Good question! Anybody have the answer, sans the smartass remarks? :roll:

Actualy, it's a rather asinine remark. WHY would there be any 'controversy' over a petition? What a silly question.
Monker
MP3

Postby perryfaithful » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:57 pm

Monker wrote: WHY would there be any 'controversy' over a petition? What a silly question.

ahh......if it never was submitted??
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby Journeynut » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:52 am

I thought there was a hall of fame committe who had petitons and had been lobbying for this.
Anyway, what was I saying.........
Journeynut
Ol' 78

Postby Monker » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:56 am

Journeynut wrote:I thought there was a hall of fame committe who had petitons and had been lobbying for this.

So? Why would you think it would be successful? I never did.

Journey was nominated once - and I doubt they will ever be again.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:00 am

perryfaithful wrote:
Monker wrote: WHY would there be any 'controversy' over a petition? What a silly question.

ahh......if it never was submitted??

Before you go off into fantasy land and dream up all of these conspiracies, perhaps you should actualy have a reason to say such things, instead of inventing them.

Give me one shred of evidence that the petition was not 'submitted' or that there was ANY 'controversy' surrounding it. If you can't do that, then the expressions of paranioa surrounding this are unfounded.
Monker
MP3

Postby perryfaithful » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:56 am

[quote="Monker"], perhaps you should actualy have a reason to say such things, instead of inventing them.

Invent things?? Read it on another site...

Calm down old man!
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby Paul_UK » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:30 am

jrnyjetster wrote::? With the exception of U2 and Skynyrd, that list is a fucking joke! :x

Couldn't have said it better myself JJ. It gets more rediculous every year.
Paul_UK
45 RPM

Postby perryfaithful » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:06 am

What year was Journey nominated?

.....and YES to U2 and skynard
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby Bamamutt » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:12 am

Anyone know just what are the qualifications that the Rock-n-roll HOF committee look for in nominating bands before actually choosing who gets in and who doesn't?
Bamamutt
Ol' 78

Postby mnmsjrny » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:23 am

Bamamutt wrote:Anyone know just what are the qualifications that the Rock-n-roll HOF committee look for in nominating bands before actually choosing who gets in and who doesn't?

You can find it on the RRHOF website here: http://www.rockhall.com/hof/process.asp

And yeah, Monker, when was Journey nominated?? They've been eligible for the last 4 years and I don't remember seeing their names ever on the ballot. A list of elibible folks, yes, but not the ballot.
mnmsjrny
45 RPM

Postby perryfaithful » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:26 am

In a nutshell.............

"Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria considered includes the influence and significance of the artist's contribution to the development and perpetuation of producers, disc jockeys, record company executives, journalists and other industry professionals. The Foundation's nominating committee, composed of rock and roll historians, selects 5-7 nominees each year in the artist or performing category. Ballots are sent to an international voting body of about 1,000 rock experts. Those performers who receive the highest number and more than 50% of votes are inducted."
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfaithful » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:26 am

mnmsjrny wrote:[
And yeah, Monker, when was Journey nominated?? They've been eligible for the last 4 years and I don't remember seeing their names ever on the ballot. A list of elibible folks, yes, but not the ballot.

That is what I was thinking also M
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:35 am

How do you pick a band for the Hall of Fame anyway. Music is so subjective anyway. I think the whole petition thing is as ridiculous as the fans who make such a big deal of such a trivial "honor."

Postby OldJourney » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:09 am

Journeynut wrote:I thought there was a hall of fame committe who had petitons and had been lobbying for this.

I thought that's how this is done...And it would make perfect sense that there weren't enough signatures on the petition; therefore it didn't happen. Not many would have been willing to talk about that. :roll:

Also, isn't there a certain sum of money that has to be put up by the fans and/or the parties involved? I've read in the past about other groups who looked to their fans to pony up the money necessary to make this a reality, particularly on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. It usually takes quite a long time to raise the money this way, and sometimes it just doesn't materialize.
OldJourney
Radio Waves

Postby arden » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:16 am

The petition appears to still be posted. I believe the author of the petition would be solely responsible for the verification of the signatures as well as submitting the petition to the proper authorities.

I believe she would be the only one able to answer questions regarding the petition.

http://www.petitiononline.com/jrnyhof1/petition.html

The Petition for Journey's Induction to RNR Hall Of Fame Petition to Rock N Roll Hall of Fame was created by and written by Joy Crisler. This petition is hosted here at www.PetitionOnline.com as a public service. There is no express or implied endorsement of this petition by Artifice, Inc. or our sponsors. The petition scripts are created by Mike Wheeler at Artifice, Inc. For Technical Support please use our simple Petition Help form.

Last edited by arden on Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
arden
Radio Waves

Postby arden » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:21 am

There is NO fee involved for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

There is a $15,000 fee required for the Hollywood Walk Of Fame that must be paid before any ceremony will be scheduled.

These are two entirely different events in two entirely different cities.

[/quote]
arden
Radio Waves

Postby Playitloudforme » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:33 am

Is there a legal requirement to have full names, addresses and date of signature on each of these to be considered a true legal 'signature'? Many of the signatures on the petition were first name only, no city or state. Every 'petition' I've ever signed required full names, etc.

Was that even a factor in consideration when this was begun or is this petition more of an unofficial action, not required by the HOF judging committee, but designed strictly to remind the committee that Journey was an option?
Playitloudforme
Cassette Tape

Postby OldJourney » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:34 am

In viewing petition signatures, I see that not everyone listed an address, making it impossible to check the validity of such signatures.
OldJourney
Radio Waves

Postby OldJourney » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:42 am

OldJourney wrote:

In viewing petition signatures, I see that not everyone listed an address, making it impossible to check the validity of such signatures.

Sorry, read the disclaimer at the page bottom, however it doesn't make clear why some addresses are still included...If you're worried about spamming, you're worried about it across the board.

PetitionOnline.com has temporarily disabled the display of email addresses for signatories who chose to make their address public.We have done this to reduce the spread of harmful new viruses which harvest email addresses from the web cache of infected computers. This will also prevent spammers from harvesting email addresses from this site.
OldJourney
Radio Waves

Postby arden » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:58 am

The disclaimer is saying that they are not displaying EMAIL addresses. They are not.

OldJourney wrote:
OldJourney wrote:

Sorry, read the disclaimer at the page bottom, however it doesn't make clear why some addresses are still included...If you're worried about spamming, you're worried about it across the board.

PetitionOnline.com has temporarily disabled the display of email addresses for signatories who chose to make their address public.We have done this to reduce the spread of harmful new viruses which harvest email addresses from the web cache of infected computers. This will also prevent spammers from harvesting email addresses from this site.
arden
Radio Waves

Postby Monker » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:52 pm

perryfaithful wrote:

You guys are probably right. I probably just remember a list of those eligible....and the entire Neal/Santana thing happened around that same time too.

BTW, some of the posts in this thread are exactly why I never get involved in such things. Someone goes OUT OF THEIR WAY, taking THEIR time and effort to do something for the band...and all some 'fans' can do is critique it even to the point of implying there is some other motive.

If all you guys can do is critique this, then maybe you should start your own damn petition and see how much better YOU can do. Let's see how much of YOUR time you put into it. Let's see how long THAT effort lasts.
Monker
MP3

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:12 pm

Monker wrote:
perryfaithful wrote:

You guys are probably right. I probably just remember a list of those eligible....and the entire Neal/Santana thing happened around that same time too.

BTW, some of the posts in this thread are exactly why I never get involved in such things. Someone goes OUT OF THEIR WAY, taking THEIR time and effort to do something for the band...and all some 'fans' can do is critique it even to the point of implying there is some other motive.

If all you guys can do is critique this, then maybe you should start your own damn petition and see how much better YOU can do. Let's see how much of YOUR time you put into it. Let's see how long THAT effort lasts.
I started a petition to get allowed back into the RVR site...no one cared. I'm through with petitions Monker... :wink:

Postby Rockindeano » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:04 am

Journey was nominated once - and I doubt they will ever be again.[/quote]

Feel like making a wager on that? There is NO WAY they will never make it. It will happen. I just wonder if the committee says, "Hmm, if we induct these guys, will they a) show up, and b) who will show up?!
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby yak » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:27 pm

There is NO WAY they will never make it. It will happen.

Journey will definitely make it! It's just a matter of time. :D

I think the committee knows it's a given that Perry will be a no-show. The fans will take that the hardest. No way should he be allowed to hold the band hostage anymore.

Journey should get inducted anyway! The sooner, the better. Then all this nonsense can be put to rest once and for all.
yak
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfaithful » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:43 pm

[quote="yakov"][quote]

I think the committee knows it's a given that Perry will be a no-show.

by what power?
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Next

Return to Journey