Journey Escape...Arcade Game

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Journey Escape...Arcade Game

Postby Bamamutt » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:49 pm

Things do move in a cycle and alot of the music that most of us grew up listening too is becoming popular once more...Alot of bands from the 80s are doing summer and fall tours and just about all of them are fairing alot better than the new acts that are out and about...

Just like the music, alot of the classic arcade games are becoming somewhat popular....A company called Jakks pacific sales retro looking Atari/Video game joystick games with each unit containing from 5 to 10 games..All one needs are 4 AA batteries and a tv to plug into and then it's playtime...

Journey released their arcade game in the early 80s...."JOURNEY ESCAPE"...Great game I thought...Later on they released a version of the game for the Atari 2600 gaming systems....Scanning ebay I come across one of these from time to time...I've also seen links to where Journey Escape can be down loaded onto one's pc....Have any of you downloaded this game and if so, is it just as good as the original or at least worth down loading?....Also what with alot of 80s era items becoming popular again and the video gaming company Jakks pacific releasing games such as Pac-Man, Ms Pac-Man, Astroids, Centipid, Galixian, and Galaga plus in the near future releasing the games of Joust, Ghost-N-Goblins, Spy Hunter, and Defender; do you think that Journey would agree to release the game once again?
Bamamutt
Ol' 78

Postby Monker » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:03 pm

First of all, downloading an emulator and ROM's to play old video games that you do not own is just as 'ilegal' as downloadning music.

I used to have MAME and a few ROM's, including the Journey arcade game (not the Atari 2600 version). I thought it was pretty much as i remember it. I always thought it was a dull game but by today's standards it's almost unplayable. IMO, the only reason to play it is to say you played it. It's just not that fun. But, it's worth a 'look' if you want to see it...There are THOUSANDS of other ROM's that you can get too, if you want to.

I doubt very much that anybody is going to rerelease the Atari Journey game. It's simply not a 'classic' like Defender, Joust, Pac Man, Galaxian/Galaga, etc. It may have a very small market to some Journey fans, but IMO it's not large enough for a company to invest in rereleasing the game. This is also a COMPLETELY different game then the arcade version...they did not take the game idea from the arcade and try to replicate it on the Atari...not that this is a bad thing...

I know there are Atari emulators out there and I am sure you can find the ROM's for the Journey game. But, I have never used an Atari emulator so I don't know how it plays on the PC.
Monker
MP3

Postby aragelfstone » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:58 am

I was never really into playing video games but I still have an old Journey Escape Atari game. Just because it's Journey and I want to have it as part of my collection.
aragelfstone
Radio Waves

Postby Bamamutt » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:06 pm

Was the Journey Escape game license through BAlly or Midway when it was out in the arcades?
Bamamutt
Ol' 78

Postby stevefan » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:52 pm

Bamamutt, since no one's replying, I will!
The first game from Atari was not licensed at all by Journey, so the band had it pulled from the shelves :cry: I was fortunate enough to get one when it first appeared (and I still have it with the game console, works wonderfully).
The arcade game was licensed and endorsed by the band and Nightmare (management)..so that one isn't as rare.
Does that answer your questions?
stevefan
Fresh Air

Postby perryfaithful » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:54 am

[quote="stevefan"]Bamamutt, since no one's replying, I will!

:?:
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby stevefan » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:31 pm

If you must know, I said that because the question was asked on the 24th and I responded on the 4th...just seemed like a while to wait for an answer.
stevefan
Fresh Air

Postby Monker » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:08 pm

stevefan wrote:Bamamutt, since no one's replying, I will!
The first game from Atari was not licensed at all by Journey, so the band had it pulled from the shelves :cry: I was fortunate enough to get one when it first appeared (and I still have it with the game console, works wonderfully).
The arcade game was licensed and endorsed by the band and Nightmare (management)..so that one isn't as rare.
Does that answer your questions?

This is interesting, since the band specificaly talks about the Atari game in different interviews.

I'd like to see some article where this is verified before I believe it.
Monker
MP3

Return to Journey