Here's a Journey question for our CEO, ANDREW....

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Here's a Journey question for our CEO, ANDREW....

Postby jrnyjetster » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:11 am

:?: Do you know if the guys have set a date to go into the STUDIO? Could they be there NOW, ya think? Jon's studio, perhaps? ;)

Anxious Journey fans would like to know, Andrew! Thanks for any info you might have.
jrnyjetster
Cassette Tape

Postby Andrew » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:31 am

No, no studio action yet, although apparently the song writing action has been fast and furious....

I believe that the guys won't hit the studio until late in the year / early 2005 - depending on how a couple of other things pan out.

I will try and get an update from Neal. He mailed yesterday to say hi before heading out to Japan....
Andrew
Administrator

Postby jrnyjetster » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:23 am

Andrew wrote:I believe that the guys won't hit the studio until late in the year / early 2005 - depending on how a couple of other things pan

hmmmm....:idea: and those "other" things might be? :P :wink: :D
jrnyjetster
Cassette Tape

Postby mystichealer » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:44 am

jrnyjetster wrote:
Andrew wrote:I believe that the guys won't hit the studio until late in the year / early 2005 - depending on how a couple of other things pan

Whether or not to continue Journey or move on and put all his efforts into making Soul SirkUS the next BIG melodic rock thing.

Lets face it (and i hate to say it), Journey's end is only a matter of time now.

MH
mystichealer
Ol' 78

Postby Tornado_Jackson » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:30 am

mystichealer wrote:
Whether or not to continue Journey or move on and put all his efforts into making Soul SirkUS the next BIG melodic rock thing.

Lets face it (and i hate to say it), Journey's end is only a matter of time now.
MH

Not according to Soul SirkuUS's lead singer, Jeff Soto, who assures that Journey is alive, well, and under Neal's watch certain to tour and play for many more years to come. Frankly, I think JSS has more inside info than you do.
Journey didn't end when Neal went and made HSAS w/ Sammy Hagar and it's not going to end now with SS.
Tornado_Jackson

Postby mystichealer » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:41 am

Tornado_Jackson wrote:
mystichealer wrote:

MH

Not according to Soul SirkuUS's lead singer, Jeff Soto, who assures that Journey is alive, well, and under Neal's watch certain to tour and play for many more years to come. Frankly, I think JSS has more inside info than you do.
Journey didn't end when Neal went and made HSAS w/ Sammy Hagar and it's not going to end now with SS.

I don't say that i have inside information on Journey, what i have posted is an opinion.
Journey are my favourite band. I was born and raised on the band, but i honestly feel that Journey's time is nearing the end. However, i say again that this is just MY opinion.

Also, do you seriously think that if JSS knew that if the band were coming towards the end of their illustrious career that HE would broadcast it?
I do not think so!!!!!

MH
mystichealer
Ol' 78

Postby Tornado_Jackson » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:45 am

mystichealer wrote:
Also, do you seriously think that if JSS knew that if the band were coming towards the end of their illustrious career that HE would broadcast it?
I do not think so!!!!!
MH

Umm, he'd have no reason to go out of his way, concoct a lie and state otherwise, either.
Tornado_Jackson

Postby mystichealer » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:53 am

Tornado_Jackson wrote:
mystichealer wrote:
I do not think so!!!!!
MH

Umm, he'd have no reason to go out of his way, concoct a lie and state otherwise, either.

Umm, maybe not. Who knows.

MH
mystichealer
Ol' 78

Postby Andrew » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:33 am

Ok, here goes....SS and Joruney can and WILL co-exist.
There is way to much money to made by Journey touring in North America, so don't expect that to stop anytime soon.

Neal says the guys hope to start the new album pretty soon - could be as early as after their Japanese/current tour dates.
Stay tuned....
Andrew
Administrator

Postby jestor92 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:23 am

I agree that their end is coming, personally I think the end should've come sooner for the band. This is coming from a newer fan and a Steve Augeri led Journey fan. I just think that its silly for this once great band to be going up on stage playing music for 5,000 people a night beating their die hard audience with the same old songs night after night, year after year which has been the case pretty much since 2001. The people want something new from the band to chomp on but because of contractual obligations somewhere from the Perry breakup they can't put out a live album which is something they've talked about for awhile now. No record company will touch the band and push it as the current record industry is looking for the next big thing, the next Britany Spears, N'Sync, etc. Reguardless of what Schon, Cain or anyone in that band do, they will never reach radio sucess again. It's unfortunate but true.

I'm going on a rant right here, what really ticks me off about this band is that Neal and Jon both say they want to get another hit so Deen and Steve can enjoy the sucess, that's all fine and dandy, but why write the music and songs if they're not going to support it live. The best thing this band can do right now if they seriously want another hit is to write another album, promote it to its fullest extend and play the songs live. I've saw the band 3 years in a row and the last 2 years I can count the number of Augeri era songs on one hand that they preformed. It's truly sad. Neal says the fans look at them like they have 4 heads or something when they play the new stuff and that they want to keep the fans happy and excited so they play the old stuff. If that's the case why even waste your time by going into the studio and writing. Stick a fork in this band announce a retirement tour and retirement record and be done with it all.

On a side if by some strange miracle Soul Sirkus takes off that's gonna be another dagger in the heart of Journey because Neal isn't going to be taking his top stuff the Journey a band that's not recording instead he'll take the top stuff to SS and try to keep that band on the top.

Sorry for the rant.
jestor92
8 Track

Postby Andrew » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:18 pm

jestor92 wrote:I'm going on a rant right here, what really ticks me off about this band is that Neal and Jon both say they want to get another hit so Deen and Steve can enjoy the sucess, that's all fine and dandy, but why write the music and songs if they're not going to support it live. The best thing this band can do right now if they seriously want another hit is to write another album, promote it to its fullest extend and play the songs live.

I believe that is the plan :)

But as for a new hit single - I don't think that is going to happen. And not because of the material or song quality - because of the industry and how it is run these days.
Last edited by Andrew on Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Fernando Ramirez » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:44 pm

Here's what I think is the problem. There were plenty of radio-friendly songs on ARRIVAL, and it was a great album... but the record company basically refused to promote the album. JOURNEY was willing to tour for it, but some blow hard A&R guy instead uses the "it's not the real Steve" excuse to not promote Journey. Why didn't they promote it? Because A&R dipshits aren't going to tell record companies to put any promotional muscle behind a band of older guys. The problem JOURNEY is facing is plain and simple AGE DISCRIMINATION. And let's face it... nowadays, if you don't promote the album ala BRITNEY or TIMBERLAKE's latest albums, it ain't goin' anywhere... no matter how good it is.

JOURNEY would be facing this problem even if the VOICE was in the band. I feel like they are facing this now. If people don't know your album exists, they aren't going to know your new songs when you play them. Personally, I don't think it's bad for the band to play their greatest hits in concert. They EARNED the right to do that... it's their frickin' back catalogue! Plus, I know I want to hear hits when I see them. I don't see what the problem is there... Perryheads would want to hear hits even if Perry was in the band.

Incidentally, lots of folks find it easy to look back and blame Steve Perry for the tanking of TRIAL BY FIRE, and to think that if Steve had stuck around for it it would have been an unqualified hit. However, I don't think so. I think if Steve had stuck around, TRIAL BY FIRE would have been a moderate success... moderate and not HUGE because those pesky A&R dorks wouldn't have put any BRITNEY or TIMBERLAKE scale promotion behind the album. Not for the old guys.

Age discrimination is so rampant, it's not funny. I grew up listening to 80s bands, and it's a shame so many great bands aren't given the fair shake. That's why I'm glad that there's places like melodicrock.com to promote it, and to provide a haven for the folks that love this kinda music. There are so few bands around nowadays that A&R reps let DEVELOP a career: instead, they fire them, and hire the latest 18 year old cookie cutter wunderkind singing about things he/she hasn't experienced... and who desperately needs a tech to "Antares" his vox in Pro Tools because he can't sing in tune properly. What about the many other talented folks out there... older musicians who have developed their craft and who would be in the position to write their asses off and create some really beautiful, and stirring melodic rock? I wish the US was more like Japan in that the Japanese really favor and respect older people... they recognize the wisdom and life experience the older folks have to contribute.
Fernando Ramirez
45 RPM

Postby LAWoman » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:30 pm

mystichealer wrote:
jrnyjetster wrote:

MH

Ah, I see people have found yet another thing to argue about. Isn't the end of everything just a matter of time--or do you plan to live forever? I will go out on a limb and say that Journey will most probably not still be touring and making new music 50 years from now. Pay attention to now--that's all there is.
LAWoman
45 RPM

Postby Bamamutt » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:01 pm

LAWoman wrote:
Ah, I see people have found yet another thing to argue about.

Actually this seems like a very civil discussion... :)
Bamamutt
Ol' 78

Postby mystichealer » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:13 pm

LAWoman wrote:
mystichealer wrote:
jrnyjetster wrote:

MH

Ah, I see people have found yet another thing to argue about. Isn't the end of everything just a matter of time--or do you plan to live forever? I will go out on a limb and say that Journey will most probably not still be touring and making new music 50 years from now. Pay attention to now--that's all there is.

Well i will go out on a limb (as you put it), and say that imo Journey will not be touring or making new music in 18 months. They will have called it a day. I honestly don't want this to happen, i have been a fan for 25 years, but i really do feel that the end is very near.

Fans just don't want to think about it that way. They believe the band will go on and on, and will continue to make cd's. 'Arrival' flopped (although i loved it), Red 13 was a disaster, so unlike Journey it was unbearable, and i cringe every time i hear it.

People do not want to hear any new songs in a Journey show, they only want to hear Perry era stuff. This does not include me, i love the stuff from Arrival, but when a new song is played it's toilet time for most people. Thats a fact. People don't wanna hear the songs.

I flew over 3000 miles (twice) in 2001 to see the band, and it was disgusting when i heard so called fans behind me and in front of me during the performance shouting 'F--k this new shit', we want the old stuff, and it's true for most people.
After the performance had ended i still continuously overheard so many people saying 'That new stuff is shit', 'They shouldn't play it'. Some fans don't want to give the present incarnation a chance.
I have evn heard Neal say at one stage that when they play any new stuff that people look at him as if they are thinking 'What the hell is this' 'Why are you playing this'.
Just how long does anyone seriously think the band are going to want to carry on when fans don't want to hear new stuff?
They will NEVER have another hit. I honestly think they realize that now.

MH
mystichealer
Ol' 78

Postby Tornado_Jackson » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:41 pm

mystichealer wrote:
Well i will go out on a limb (as you put it), and say that imo Journey will not be touring or making new music in 18 months. They will have called it a day.

Umm, as long as the guys are having fun and the band still makes money when they tour then theyy will continue to tour. People don't like hearing new stuff at most classic rock concerts.....it's just the way it is. It's not specific only to Journey. I will go out on a limb and state that I firmly expect this Journey to tour for another 6 years at the very least.
Tornado_Jackson

Postby perryfaithful » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:55 pm

Tornado_Jackson wrote:
mystichealer wrote:
Well i will go out on a limb (as you put it), and say that imo Journey will not be touring or making new music in 18 months. They will have called it a day.

Umm, as long as the guys are having fun and the band still makes money when they tour then theyy will continue to tour. People don't like hearing new stuff at most classic rock concerts.....it's just the way it is. It's not specific only to Journey. I will go out on a limb and state that I firmly expect this Journey to tour for another 6 years at the very least.

From USA TODAY

"Concert Sales hit a Low Note"
This is where the guote from Ray Waddell of Billboard came from

"And how many times can you go to the well without offering something new and different?"

So Journey, as a "veteran act" is going to keep bringing the same old show to the "well" for 6 more years and expect to have anyone in the audience? On the one side you have Neal saying he can't do these shows with new stuff cause no one wants it, but then how many years can you keep milkin' the old stuff? Those who watch the market are saying it is getting tough!!
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby atthistime » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:30 am

The guys can have a blast on stage at their concerts but you can't tell the fans what to like or how they are supposed to react to their performance.

I have read many posts at one time or another, even from Neal, that they just could not appreciate a band who performed without someone that they considered too important for the band to be crediable without.

Too many people think that TBF is one of Journey's best efforts at that time in their history. I believe that if the guys got together for a new cd with Perry, the chemistry would be there as before and a fairwell concert for it would fill a stadium. Make a dvd of the concert and it would be an instant hit. That original, super lineup could do it without a tour. Times have changed.

You can blame everyone for the success of Journey's last few attempts at new material but to most fans, it's just not Journey. Pull up the lyrics of Arrival on the net and read them, one after the other, in one sitting, and put it to Country Western music. That might help. It's all bad poetry, not like anything close to real Journey material, lovin', losin'& livin'.
atthistime
Ol' 78

Postby LAWoman » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:16 am

Anybody who thinks that Journey could fill a stadium with Perry has not been paying attention to the current state of the music business. There are very few bands who can fill stadiums. This is not 1985. It is a total overestimation of the draw of Perry to believe that he can fill a stadium with or without Journey. Although Perry may be the center of the Universe for a few people on the internet, the vast majority of the world only has a vague memory that he was once in a rock band named Journey. Out of sight, out of mind.

I have been to many Journey concerts in the last few years. People are going to hear the music they remember. They seem to be, for the most part, casual fans who probably don't even know the names of all the band members. If these fans really cared that Perry was not there, Journey would not keep selling tickets as they do every year.
LAWoman
45 RPM

Return to Journey