The Ultimate Song

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Do we still have Perry's "Ultimate Song" to look forward to?

He feels that he has already written it.
63%
He's still working on it.
37%

Total votes : 19

The Ultimate Song

Postby atthistime » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:13 am

Steve Perry once said that his dream was to write the ultimate song someday. I wonder if he, himself,f feels that he has achieved this. I'd love to know his thoughts on this.
atthistime
Ol' 78

Postby atthistime » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:51 am

He said that it should be simple and reach into everyone's heart.
atthistime
Ol' 78

Postby Bamamutt » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:23 pm

I feel that within my heart, he has more to give but he is doing things on his own accord..
Bamamutt
Ol' 78

Re: The Ultimate Song

Postby Monker » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:04 am

atthistime wrote:Steve Perry once said that his dream was to write the ultimate song someday. I wonder if he, himself,f feels that he has achieved this. I'd love to know his thoughts on this.

Nope, he hasn't written it...and since he no longer has an active career - he never will.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby yak » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:27 am

Monker wrote: Nope, he hasn't written it...and since he no longer has an active career - he never will.

Some can live in the real world. He is long gone, does not care about any fans he has, and some don't realize it! :lol:
yak
Cassette Tape

Postby Journeynut » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:16 pm

He is a perfectionist. Even if he wrote the perfect song, to him it would never be perfect enough.
Anyway, what was I saying.........
Journeynut
Ol' 78

Postby Bamamutt » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:37 pm

Journeynut wrote:He is a perfectionist. Even if he wrote the perfect song, to him it would never be perfect enough.

I agree with you Journeynut...Steve Perry is a perfectionist...He strives for the best...His music shows that....I truely believe that more is to come BUT only when he is ready and not a moment sooner...
Bamamutt
Ol' 78

Postby LAWoman » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:13 pm

How could there ever be an "ultimate" song? There is no such thing as a "perfect" song. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
LAWoman
45 RPM

Postby Monker » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:14 pm

LAWoman wrote:How could there ever be an "ultimate" song? There is no such thing as a "perfect" song. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

That is somewhat true. But, in that definition of 'touching everybody's heart' is a 'goal' that "he" can judge. I think there are a few 'perfect' songs in Journey's catalog, "Faithfuly", "Wheel In the Sky", and "Mother Father", for example - BUT, *NONE* of them were written solely by Perry.

I simply do not believe Perry is able to do it. When he is the ONLY writer, there is a LOT missing from the writing. They are songs that seem unfinished lyricaly, or IMO have generic music to backup his vocals. He has NOT written a complete song that has impressed me lyricaly and musicaly. There is always a hole there. I think he knows that and knows he needs another writer like Jonathan or Neal to bring his ideas together and to a higher level.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby atthistime » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:38 am

I think that some of the Beatles songs are perfection and I feel that "Yesterday" would be my idea of an ultimate song with it's simplicity and it certainly goes straight to the heart.. It being the most covered song ever makes it unique, imo.
For me, Perry makes any song he sings ultimate. He is the ultimate vocalist ,imo, and it's up to him to know if he has fulfilled his dream. We all have dreams. I, for one, have lived beyond my wildest dreams. I think that Perry would say that he has also. He said that it was magic.
atthistime
Ol' 78

Postby Monker » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:41 am

atthistime wrote:For me, Perry makes any song he sings ultimate.

YOUR definition of 'ultimate' is not what YOU wrote Perry's is. If his definition is "touches everybody's heart", then his vocals alone are NOT enough to meet that goal. The music behind his vocals MUST be there or it simply does not meet the challenge. Generic and computerized drums and bass, keyboards drowned out in the mix do NOT touch "everybody's" hearts - no matter what lyrics are being sung by whom. If it were then it would be FTLOSM that went 6x platinum and not Escape.

You mentioned "Yesterday" as being a 'perfect song' in that it touches people and is simple. That may be true...But, if it were not for the melody and rythm set by the piano then it would fail that test. The same goes for "Imagine" by John Lennon, or "Faithfully" by Jonathan. There is more that pricks and tugs at your emotions then just words and how they are sung. Perry is unable to write at that level - and I think he knows it.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby LAWoman » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:00 am

atthistime wrote:I think that some of the Beatles songs are perfection and I feel that "Yesterday" would be my idea of an ultimate song with it's simplicity and it certainly goes straight to the heart.. It being the most covered song ever makes it unique, imo.
For me, Perry makes any song he sings ultimate. He is the ultimate vocalist ,imo, and it's up to him to know if he has fulfilled his dream. We all have dreams. I, for one, have lived beyond my wildest dreams. I think that Perry would say that he has also. He said that it was magic.

Well, you hit the nail on the head when you said "my idea of an ultimate song". It's all subjectivewhich is why these lists of the best songs ever or the best vocalists or best guitarists vary so much. People will never agree about art so how can there ever be the "ultimate" song. Surely you have heard people saying they believe the Beatles are overrated and they don't like any of their stuff? That's definately not my opinion, but that's the whole point. One person will believe a single rose is perfection and someone else might say they have an allergy and they absolutely hate roses because they are the ugliest thing in nature--go figure.
LAWoman
45 RPM

Postby atthistime » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:16 am

Both of your posts make a lot of sense, Barb and monker. The ultimate song than is just a dream and if it exists, it's in the eye of the beholder , as you stated, Barb.
Can we maybe agree on "Happy Birthday?" :)
atthistime
Ol' 78

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:58 am

atthistime wrote:Both of your posts make a lot of sense, Barb and monker. The ultimate song than is just a dream and if it exists, it's in the eye of the beholder , as you stated, Barb.
Can we maybe agree on "Happy Birthday?" :)
I think everything has been downhill since the "Electric Slide." :P
"IT'S ELECTRIC!!!!" :P :wink:

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:12 am

No, as far as the "ultimate song", I think he probably already accomplished that in Journey (or came damn near close to it) with DSB. There were some good collaborations on Street Talk and Strange Medicine tho.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:37 am

I always thought that Missing You was one of his best. It tells a good story, lyrically. And the writing sessions demonstrate how frustrating of a process it could be.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:23 am

This is not the greatest song in the world,no. This is just a tribute. Couldn`t remember the greatest song in the world,no no. This is a tribute! :D
JourneyHard
LP

Postby RedWingFan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:04 pm

I think Perry should record a bunch of Motown covers. I'd love to hear that.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Aaron » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:39 pm

Perry is Jesus on a mic, there is now doubt. In my mind he's already covered that perfect song due to his vocal capability back in the day versus now. It may not be a fair assessment but I put a lot of weight on his energy and range from 77-81. If he still has it, bring it on. If not, I'll be happy to listen and enjoy his voice. But calling it the ultimate song, naw.
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Return to Journey