"CAN'T SLOW DOWN" COMMENTS/REVIEWS THREAD

Can't Slow Down

Moderator: Andrew

"CAN'T SLOW DOWN" COMMENTS/REVIEWS THREAD

Postby PianoMan1986 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:35 am

Hopefully I'll have more details later, but just for the sake of a general statement:

I enjoyed Foreigner's new album after a first listen. It's decent; I like the overall production on it. Was it worth the 4-year (well, 15 if you want to be technical) wait for new material with the current lineup? I'm not sure, I'll have to give it a few more spins. =)
PianoMan1986
LP

Postby Ehwmatt » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:47 am

I'm on to Too Late now so I'm almost there... It's a bit more adult contemporary then I thought it would be, I was hoping for a few more straight up rockers in the vein of Double Vision/Juke Box/Hot Blooded etc. But it's a very worthy effort and I do suspect these songs will grow on me more and more as I go.

In Pieces is my favorite so far... great tune!
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby PianoMan1986 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:50 pm

Yeah, In Pieces really jumped out at me too. Did you notice a high pitch frequency/squeaking at about 1:21 on that song though? Like maybe something with the synth patch that was used? That's the only thing that bothers me about it.
PianoMan1986
LP

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:09 am

There's some damn good rock on Disc1 "The Album" so far. I'm only one spin through so more to follow.
D2 "The Remixes" is also a cool thing to have as some of them sound markedly different and better, ALL sound clearly different than their original counterparts...almost RATHER have these than rerecords.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Ehwmatt » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:43 am

PianoMan1986 wrote:Yeah, In Pieces really jumped out at me too. Did you notice a high pitch frequency/squeaking at about 1:21 on that song though? Like maybe something with the synth patch that was used? That's the only thing that bothers me about it.

Yes, I posted that in the OT forum up top too... others have heard it as well. It's really pretty annoying and I honestly would like to see a CD reissue for that or at least a free song download for those who purchased the disc... there's no way that's supposed to be in there.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Re: "CAN'T SLOW DOWN" COMMENTS/REVIEWS THREAD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:59 am

PianoMan1986 wrote:Was it worth the 4-year (well, 15 if you want to be technical) wait for new material with the current lineup?

No, not even remotely.
Still a solid album tho.
As others have mentioned, a little too mellow.
One or two more rockers were def. in order.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Ehwmatt » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:00 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
PianoMan1986 wrote:Was it worth the 4-year (well, 15 if you want to be technical) wait for new material with the current lineup?

No, not even remotely.
Still a solid album tho.
As others have mentioned, a little too mellow.
One or two more rockers were def. in order.

The biggest disappointment is that Mick hardly ever lets loose on this album... and he is a very underrated guitarist. It's still a very nice album to listen to. But I can't see it getting tons of airplay in the summer, unlike an Arrival, a Just Getting Started, or even a Revelation
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Triple S » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:09 pm

Ehwmatt wrote:
PianoMan1986 wrote:Yeah, In Pieces really jumped out at me too. Did you notice a high pitch frequency/squeaking at about 1:21 on that song though? Like maybe something with the synth patch that was used? That's the only thing that bothers me about it.

Yes, I posted that in the OT forum up top too... others have heard it as well. It's really pretty annoying and I honestly would like to see a CD reissue for that or at least a free song download for those who purchased the disc... there's no way that's supposed to be in there.

No such sound on mine (that song is good, haven't got through the whole album yet). I was just totally suprised to actually find it at Walmart today, we're usually a lot further behind for new releases in Canada. Maybe the Journey DVD will be there Friday after all!
Triple S
Cassette Tape

Postby Don » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:13 pm

In fairness, A little while back, Mick did say this was aimed at the Adult Contemporary market. He didn't bullshit us about it being a heavy, rock album.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby wastingbeerz » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:48 pm

Ehwmatt wrote:I'm on to Too Late now so I'm almost there... It's a bit more adult contemporary then I thought it would be, I was hoping for a few more straight up rockers in the vein of Double Vision/Juke Box/Hot Blooded etc. But it's a very worthy effort and I do suspect these songs will grow on me more and more as I go.

So far that's the only one I'm having a hard time getting into... reminds me too much of the modern fake country-pop when the chorus hits. But I gotta remember, this is Foreigner. The rest of the song is fine. Maybe it'll grow on me in time. I just really am not into what passes for country music on the radio these days, and anything that reminds me of it tends to put a bad taste in my mouth. And, for an album called "Can't Slow Down", I was really expecting a bit more upbeat tracks.

Gotta say though, the remixes on the second disc are PHENOMENAL. Definitely something to be turned up to 11 for sure!!!
Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. YOU GOT THAT?

wastingbeerz
LP

Postby PianoMan1986 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:29 am

Triple S wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:

No such sound on mine (that song is good, haven't got through the whole album yet). I was just totally suprised to actually find it at Walmart today, we're usually a lot further behind for new releases in Canada. Maybe the Journey DVD will be there Friday after all!

Anyone else have that problem or notice a similar noise? Maybe I'll just have to take my copy back for an even-exchange.
PianoMan1986
LP

Postby Ehwmatt » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:29 am

PianoMan1986 wrote:
Triple S wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:

Anyone else have that problem or notice a similar noise? Maybe I'll just have to take my copy back for an even-exchange.

So far Triple S is the exception, not the rule - 3 or 4 of us have posted about the noise.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Ehwmatt » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:30 am

wastingbeerz wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:I'm on to Too Late now so I'm almost there... It's a bit more adult contemporary then I thought it would be, I was hoping for a few more straight up rockers in the vein of Double Vision/Juke Box/Hot Blooded etc. But it's a very worthy effort and I do suspect these songs will grow on me more and more as I go.

So far that's the only one I'm having a hard time getting into... reminds me too much of the modern fake country-pop when the chorus hits. But I gotta remember, this is Foreigner. The rest of the song is fine. Maybe it'll grow on me in time. I just really am not into what passes for country music on the radio these days, and anything that reminds me of it tends to put a bad taste in my mouth. And, for an album called "Can't Slow Down", I was really expecting a bit more upbeat tracks.

Gotta say though, the remixes on the second disc are PHENOMENAL. Definitely something to be turned up to 11 for sure!!!

I definitely expected it to rock a little bit more, especially since I thought KH had more of a rock pedigree. I'm enjoying it for sure, but I don't see myself getting it out much and listening to it all the way through even by like next March, let alone next October, past my select fave songs.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby wastingbeerz » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:50 am

Ehwmatt wrote:
PianoMan1986 wrote:
Triple S wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:

So far Triple S is the exception, not the rule - 3 or 4 of us have posted about the noise.

I've got the noise as well.

wastingbeerz
LP

Postby PianoMan1986 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:04 am

wastingbeerz wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:
PianoMan1986 wrote:
Triple S wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:

I went and exchanged it today, got in the car and went to that specific spot in the song -- still there, does the same thing. So either Walmart got a bad batch, or something got screwed up in production/copying.
PianoMan1986
LP

Postby Ehwmatt » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:19 am

PianoMan1986 wrote:I went and exchanged it today, got in the car and went to that specific spot in the song -- still there, does the same thing. So either Walmart got a bad batch, or something got screwed up in production/copying.

Most likely it's a production issue, although I don't know how they could have missed that - it's very noticeable. It's not like one of those things buried real low or something you can't hear unless you're on headphones. I've heard some songs that have like the little Windows "beep" in them real low in the mix that were left in there, but you have to basically be blasting it on headphones to hear. This really should be fixed with a track download or an exchange program.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby PianoMan1986 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:51 am

Ehwmatt wrote:
PianoMan1986 wrote:I went and exchanged it today, got in the car and went to that specific spot in the song -- still there, does the same thing. So either Walmart got a bad batch, or something got screwed up in production/copying.

Most likely it's a production issue, although I don't know how they could have missed that - it's very noticeable. It's not like one of those things buried real low or something you can't hear unless you're on headphones. I've heard some songs that have like the little Windows "beep" in them real low in the mix that were left in there, but you have to basically be blasting it on headphones to hear. This really should be fixed with a track download or an exchange program.

Yeah, I agree. I mean I know some synth patches can make noises like that, but it's not something that would be so up front in the mix.
PianoMan1986
LP

Postby PianoMan1986 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:53 am

A bit of a tangent from the disc error discussion...

What do you guys think of "Fool For You Anyway?"

Personally, I like it because it sounds different and in my mind you get to hear the band do something different, with a different sound/style -- especially Kelly's voice.
PianoMan1986
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:56 am

PianoMan1986 wrote:Anyone else have that problem or notice a similar noise? Maybe I'll just have to take my copy back for an even-exchange.

Yes, and I think I hear it on a few other songs (but much more faintly).
It doesn't really bother me.
In fact, I initially thought it was an intentional post-prod effect.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Blueskies » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:12 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
PianoMan1986 wrote:Anyone else have that problem or notice a similar noise? Maybe I'll just have to take my copy back for an even-exchange.

Yes, and I think I hear it on a few other songs (but much more faintly).
It doesn't really bother me.
In fact, I initially thought it was an intentional post-prod effect.

It doesn't bother me either....unless I listen with headphones its faint enough not to distract from the song.
Blueskies
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Blueskies » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:21 am

PianoMan1986 wrote:A bit of a tangent from the disc error discussion...

What do you guys think of "Fool For You Anyway?"

Personally, I like it because it sounds different and in my mind you get to hear the band do something different, with a different sound/style -- especially Kelly's voice.

I'm digging this CD so much overall that it's one of the few exceptions out of music I've gotten for awhile where it's been difficult for me to make a listing of preference.... but so far my top pick is When It Comes To Love and Fool For You Anyway is second. :)
Blueskies
Digital Audio Tape

Postby hgwy407 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:51 am

As a huge fan, I have to say I love parts of the album, but overall, this album is waaayyy to mellow. Two real rockers and 11 Agent P meets Inside Infos. Was this album worth a 15 year wait?? No way...that said, stand out songs are Can't Slow Down, Too Late, When It Comes To Love, Lonely and my fave...In Pieces.
hgwy407
Radio Waves

Postby weatherman90 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:26 am

Jonas Brothers - Paranoid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7gt_rv5Okg

"Living in a Dream"?
Matt
--------------------------------------
www.melodicrockconcerts.com
weatherman90
Cassette Tape

Postby Triple S » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:49 am

wastingbeerz wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:
PianoMan1986 wrote:
Triple S wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:

Maybe my old bat ears just don't hear as well as some of you younguns' :wink: . Seriously, I've listened a few times in my car/home stereo/laptop. I think I may hear what you guys are talking about, but it's so faint I probably would not have noticed if I hadn't read this thread. Doesn't bother me in the least.

The CD is very good, wouldn't call it great so far - like someone else said, it's sounding a little too mellow overall right now.
Triple S
Cassette Tape

Postby Ehwmatt » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:56 pm

Man, I just popped in the DVD for the first time - did Kelly Hansen study at the Jeff Scott Soto School of How to be a Kickass Modern Day Rock Frontman? The guy's an incredible performer! I've seen YouTube clips before, but they don't do him any justice.

Hearing him on the rockers makes me wish this CD rocked harder all the more...
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:23 am

Ehwmatt wrote:Man, I just popped in the DVD for the first time - did Kelly Hansen study at the Jeff Scott Soto School of How to be a Kickass Modern Day Rock Frontman? The guy's an incredible performer! I've seen YouTube clips before, but they don't do him any justice.

Vocally too, I think there is some similarity.
Hansen can hit those highs, but there's also this deep barritone-type quality about him.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:26 am

Ehwmatt wrote:But I can't see it getting tons of airplay in the summer, unlike an Arrival, a Just Getting Started, or even a Revelation

As it stands, it's almost on par with the original version of Arrival, before Neal added WGW and NCC.
The album's a grower tho.
I just hope they get a chance to rock out more on the next one...IF there is a next one.
I get a feeling this won't move alot of units the same way Revelation did.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Blueskies » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:12 am

Coming from a female point of view...ballads are AWESOME and are often the hit makers!

Now with that said...
I don't get where some of you guys don't think this CD rocks enough. Can't Slow Down, Living In A Dream, Ready, Angel Tonight...even Lonely to a certain extent are all rockers. I think it has a good balance and is on par with exactly how Foreigner has always sounded. This is Foreigner, not metal, and they've always been known primarily for their stand out enduring ballads, anyway. :wink:
Blueskies
Digital Audio Tape

Postby wastingbeerz » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:41 am

Blueskies wrote:Coming from a female point of view...ballads are AWESOME and are often the hit makers!

Now with that said...
I don't get where some of you guys don't think this CD rocks enough. Can't Slow Down, Living In A Dream, Ready, Angel Tonight...even Lonely to a certain extent are all rockers. I think it has a good balance and is on par with exactly how Foreigner has always sounded. This is Foreigner, not metal, and they've always been known primarily for their stand out enduring ballads, anyway. :wink:

Depending on the ballad, but too much of one thing (even rockers) makes the album uneven... I like the album, just think it could use a few more rockers to be a more even Foreigner experience. Definitely much heavier on the ballad side of things. And "hit" making or not is irrelevant to me... I just want good songs!!!

wastingbeerz
LP

Postby Blueskies » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:03 am

wastingbeerz wrote:
Blueskies wrote:Coming from a female point of view...ballads are AWESOME and are often the hit makers!

Now with that said...

Depending on the ballad, but too much of one thing (even rockers) makes the album uneven... I like the album, just think it could use a few more rockers to be a more even Foreigner experience. Definitely much heavier on the ballad side of things. And "hit" making or not is irrelevant to me... I just want good songs!!!

I could care less if their hits either, but the bands usually do....and one of the reasons they go with the ballads. Think about all rock music over time...a large percentage of the enduring classic songs are ballads.
Blueskies
Digital Audio Tape

Next

Return to Foreigner / Lou Gramm Band