"CAN'T SLOW DOWN" COMMENTS/REVIEWS THREAD

Can't Slow Down

Moderator: Andrew

Postby wastingbeerz » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:50 am

Blueskies wrote:
wastingbeerz wrote:
Blueskies wrote:Coming from a female point of view...ballads are AWESOME and are often the hit makers!

Now with that said...
I don't get where some of you guys don't think this CD rocks enough. Can't Slow Down, Living In A Dream, Ready, Angel Tonight...even Lonely to a certain extent are all rockers. I think it has a good balance and is on par with exactly how Foreigner has always sounded. This is Foreigner, not metal, and they've always been known primarily for their stand out enduring ballads, anyway. :wink:


Depending on the ballad, but too much of one thing (even rockers) makes the album uneven... I like the album, just think it could use a few more rockers to be a more even Foreigner experience. Definitely much heavier on the ballad side of things. And "hit" making or not is irrelevant to me... I just want good songs!!!

I could care less if their hits either, but the bands usually do....and one of the reasons they go with the ballads. Think about all rock music over time...a large percentage of the enduring classic songs are ballads.


To me at least, a huge percentage of the more annoying "classic" songs are ballads. Especially the modern rock ballad hits of today... a good bit of those are definitely cringe-worthy. But honestly, I disagree, I think enduring classic songs are diverse, no greater percentage of any sort of style.
Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. YOU GOT THAT?



Image
User avatar
wastingbeerz
LP
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:45 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Postby Ehwmatt » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:35 am

Blueskies wrote:
wastingbeerz wrote:
Blueskies wrote:Coming from a female point of view...ballads are AWESOME and are often the hit makers!

Now with that said...
I don't get where some of you guys don't think this CD rocks enough. Can't Slow Down, Living In A Dream, Ready, Angel Tonight...even Lonely to a certain extent are all rockers. I think it has a good balance and is on par with exactly how Foreigner has always sounded. This is Foreigner, not metal, and they've always been known primarily for their stand out enduring ballads, anyway. :wink:


Depending on the ballad, but too much of one thing (even rockers) makes the album uneven... I like the album, just think it could use a few more rockers to be a more even Foreigner experience. Definitely much heavier on the ballad side of things. And "hit" making or not is irrelevant to me... I just want good songs!!!

I could care less if their hits either, but the bands usually do....and one of the reasons they go with the ballads. Think about all rock music over time...a large percentage of the enduring classic songs are ballads.


I mean most of those songs don't "rock" the way Foreigner is capable, looking at classics like Double Vision, Long Long Way From Home, Juke Box, or Hot Blooded... I wouldn't call "Living IN a Dream" a rocker at all either. As TNC and others pointed out, it sounds like a modern day top 40 song, at least in structure/melody etc.

I mean look at the way Mick & Co. rock it out on that DVD, especially with the extended jams and added arrangements - they are capable of getting pretty heavy when they want to. None of those songs on there, even Can't Slow Down, really hit you with a ball-crushing big rhythm guitar like those old classics do.
User avatar
Ehwmatt
MP3
 
Posts: 10845
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Postby Blueskies » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:24 am

Ehwmatt wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
wastingbeerz wrote:
Blueskies wrote:Coming from a female point of view...ballads are AWESOME and are often the hit makers!

Now with that said...
I don't get where some of you guys don't think this CD rocks enough. Can't Slow Down, Living In A Dream, Ready, Angel Tonight...even Lonely to a certain extent are all rockers. I think it has a good balance and is on par with exactly how Foreigner has always sounded. This is Foreigner, not metal, and they've always been known primarily for their stand out enduring ballads, anyway. :wink:


Depending on the ballad, but too much of one thing (even rockers) makes the album uneven... I like the album, just think it could use a few more rockers to be a more even Foreigner experience. Definitely much heavier on the ballad side of things. And "hit" making or not is irrelevant to me... I just want good songs!!!

I could care less if their hits either, but the bands usually do....and one of the reasons they go with the ballads. Think about all rock music over time...a large percentage of the enduring classic songs are ballads.


I mean most of those songs don't "rock" the way Foreigner is capable, looking at classics like Double Vision, Long Long Way From Home, Juke Box, or Hot Blooded... I wouldn't call "Living IN a Dream" a rocker at all either. As TNC and others pointed out, it sounds like a modern day top 40 song, at least in structure/melody etc.

I mean look at the way Mick & Co. rock it out on that DVD, especially with the extended jams and added arrangements - they are capable of getting pretty heavy when they want to. None of those songs on there, even Can't Slow Down, really hit you with a ball-crushing big rhythm guitar like those old classics do.

I agree that this CD is softer and not as hard hitting overall. Didn't someone say that they intentionally wanted to go a bit softer on this one and gear it more towards the adult contemporary market? I don't know if it's true but I recall reading that somewhere said but not by whom. Anyway, maybe they will do more heavy hitting songs in the future, in the meantime I'm loving this new one along with the remixs and DVD to enjoy some heavier hitting songs as well.....theres a whole lot of everything to enjoy in this release, imo. :wink: :)
Blueskies
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 9620
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:09 am

Postby Don » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:12 am

Blueskies wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
wastingbeerz wrote:
Blueskies wrote:Coming from a female point of view...ballads are AWESOME and are often the hit makers!

Now with that said...
I don't get where some of you guys don't think this CD rocks enough. Can't Slow Down, Living In A Dream, Ready, Angel Tonight...even Lonely to a certain extent are all rockers. I think it has a good balance and is on par with exactly how Foreigner has always sounded. This is Foreigner, not metal, and they've always been known primarily for their stand out enduring ballads, anyway. :wink:


Depending on the ballad, but too much of one thing (even rockers) makes the album uneven... I like the album, just think it could use a few more rockers to be a more even Foreigner experience. Definitely much heavier on the ballad side of things. And "hit" making or not is irrelevant to me... I just want good songs!!!

I could care less if their hits either, but the bands usually do....and one of the reasons they go with the ballads. Think about all rock music over time...a large percentage of the enduring classic songs are ballads.


I mean most of those songs don't "rock" the way Foreigner is capable, looking at classics like Double Vision, Long Long Way From Home, Juke Box, or Hot Blooded... I wouldn't call "Living IN a Dream" a rocker at all either. As TNC and others pointed out, it sounds like a modern day top 40 song, at least in structure/melody etc.

I mean look at the way Mick & Co. rock it out on that DVD, especially with the extended jams and added arrangements - they are capable of getting pretty heavy when they want to. None of those songs on there, even Can't Slow Down, really hit you with a ball-crushing big rhythm guitar like those old classics do.

I agree that this CD is softer and not as hard hitting overall. Didn't someone say that they intentionally wanted to go a bit softer on this one and gear it more towards the adult contemporary market? I don't know if it's true but I recall reading that somewhere said but not by whom. Anyway, maybe they will do more heavy hitting songs in the future, in the meantime I'm loving this new one along with the remixs and DVD to enjoy some heavier hitting songs as well.....theres a whole lot of everything to enjoy in this release, imo. :wink: :)


Mick said that. They're not trying to re-invent the wheel, they know where bands like them and Journey have to go to be successful. If they hadn't gone through Wal-Mart, they wouldnt even have released a new album. Touring is where the money is now.
Don
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 24898
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:01 pm

Postby texafana » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:09 pm

Excellent package. Not impressed with all the post vocal production on the DVD though. :roll:
User avatar
texafana
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:52 pm

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:44 am

texafana wrote:Excellent package. Not impressed with all the post vocal production on the DVD though. :roll:


A little low in the mix for you too?
I've got to try it on another stereo system...I had the same problem with the Revelation dvd.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 12420
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Postby Starrider » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:53 am

PianoMan1986 wrote:
Triple S wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:
PianoMan1986 wrote:Yeah, In Pieces really jumped out at me too. Did you notice a high pitch frequency/squeaking at about 1:21 on that song though? Like maybe something with the synth patch that was used? That's the only thing that bothers me about it.


Yes, I posted that in the OT forum up top too... others have heard it as well. It's really pretty annoying and I honestly would like to see a CD reissue for that or at least a free song download for those who purchased the disc... there's no way that's supposed to be in there.


No such sound on mine (that song is good, haven't got through the whole album yet). I was just totally suprised to actually find it at Walmart today, we're usually a lot further behind for new releases in Canada. Maybe the Journey DVD will be there Friday after all!


Anyone else have that problem or notice a similar noise? Maybe I'll just have to take my copy back for an even-exchange.


I heard that squeak clear as day. I got a few of them right around 1:20-1:24. I ordered mine from walmart.com. F*ckers.
User avatar
Starrider
45 RPM
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:56 am

Postby texafana » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:16 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
texafana wrote:Excellent package. Not impressed with all the post vocal production on the DVD though. :roll:


A little low in the mix for you too?
I've got to try it on another stereo system...I had the same problem with the Revelation dvd.


Nah...it's the obvious piped in vocal redo's in post production. It's not very live sounding. The lead vox on the live dvd almost sounds like it was done in a studio. It's just not raw/live enough.
User avatar
texafana
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:52 pm

Postby RedWingFan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:03 am

Just finished one listen and need to convince myself to give it another go.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
User avatar
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 7679
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: The Peoples Republic of Michigan

Postby Ehwmatt » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:55 am

RedWingFan wrote:Just finished one listen and need to convince myself to give it another go.


I really have only gotten through it all once... heard several of the songs more than once though... just doesn't rock hard enough for me.
User avatar
Ehwmatt
MP3
 
Posts: 10845
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Postby Author2 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:42 pm

Liking it so far. Need to listen some more and finish the DVD.
Author2
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:14 pm

New F Album

Postby Franky » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:43 am

I was positively surprised of the quality of the new album. Thats mainly because of Kelly Hansen's voice, which I think is a very good substitution for Lou. He nearly reaches Lous voice as good as Arnel does it for Journey. From the musical pov the album is ok, not more or less, - man - what did u expect?!
User avatar
Franky
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:28 pm
Location: Germany

Postby Red13JoePa » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:28 am

Listened to it all the way through for the second time. Very slick production by Fredriksen and playing by Jones. Good stuff.
But Hansen, who I was "meh" on so far in his tenure especially after the live album absolutely blows me away on vocals.
Sounds like a young Gramm w/out sounding too much like him.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3
 
Posts: 11647
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Happy Valley

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:24 am

Been listening to the album in HEAVY rotation lately, both discs and can confirm it is REALLY holding up for me, I love this record (could've chopped a ballad or 2) but the title track, I'm Ready, Lonely, Too Late, Angel Tonight all the rockers are fantastic and Hansen just blows you away on vox.

As pointed out in AJM's review, the horns from the old days (not just sax) are back in some spots, very cool.

Also Hansen, as GB points out, cowrote most of the album that too is impressive...

also I notice the credits have Suzie McNeil listed as BG vox for the whole album, is this one of the chicks from Rockstar INXS?
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3
 
Posts: 11647
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Happy Valley

Postby Aaron » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:05 pm

The new cd was a great surprise. I don't like the detuning of the classics so I think that's bull shit with Kelly. However, the new cd sounds great and I like the material, and Kelly, on the new cd. It was a pleasant surprise.

As a side note, the remixed greatest hits cd with Lou was worth the entire cd price. Lou sounds great brought up in the mix on remixes. If nothing else, at least buy the cd to hear Lou, in his prime, in the original key.
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
User avatar
Aaron
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:55 pm
Location: Indiana, USA

Postby iceberg » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:13 am

PianoMan1986 wrote:A bit of a tangent from the disc error discussion...

What do you guys think of "Fool For You Anyway?"

Personally, I like it because it sounds different and in my mind you get to hear the band do something different, with a different sound/style -- especially Kelly's voice.


it's the most impressive piece of the cd to me and when i do my review, i'm going to call it out.

i'm amazed people are going "how come it's not harder!!!???" when was foreigner a "hard rock" band? juke box hero? reaction to action? long, long way from home?

their 1st release had "fool for you anyway" and that's a classic ballad that is so overlooked. i called it out on the jeff duran show (100.1 the edge in LA) a few weeks ago during my ice picks segment as an amazement to me they redid it.

the band didn't overlook the significance of that song but a vast majority of the fans seem to.

i'll agree the kelly is too produced to sound like lou. not as strong, not his skillset. while hauntning in fool for you anyway, kinda annoying overall. i got what i expected here and am happy to get it.
iceberg
leave me to my raging apathy
User avatar
iceberg
8 Track
 
Posts: 653
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:35 pm
Location: dallas wishing to be in iceland

Previous

Return to Foreigner / Lou Gramm Band

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests