Foreigner Reunion?

Can't Slow Down

Moderator: Andrew

Foreigner Reunion?

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:55 am

From a Lou interview on 11/27/2010 -

"We had a meeting [with Mick] in New York about six months ago, and I talked to him about a reunion/farewell concert, which I think would be a great way to go out. Maybe get a couple more of the original members, if they're still playing. Play a dozen and a half cities in the states and the same in Europe, Asia and the rest of the world. We'd call it Foreign Farewell...."

While Lou is sounding better these days, he can't pull off the set like Kelly. I know Lou has talked about retiring, but the current Foreigner lineup stands nothing to gain by this.

http://www.tampabay.com/features/stuck- ... mm/1136653
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 12410
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Postby Irwin M Fletcher » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:27 am

ive never seen Foriegner live so next summer supporting Journey/Styx will be my first time. While i love Lou Gramm, theres no denying his voice aint what it used to be. Ive seen clips of Kelly Hansen singing and the guy is super!!! I think id be happier seeing Foreigner as they are right now.
...And the cradle will rock...
Irwin M Fletcher
45 RPM
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 am

There's no denying there's a slight spring in Lou's voice again, but to replace Kelly? No way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eXsFLEf ... re=related
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 12410
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Postby Saint John » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:36 am

If he can progress as significantly from this year to next year as he did from last year to this year, yes, I could see this happening. But regardless of what his voice is like, there would be something awfully special about him doing one more small tour.

Honestly, and I don't know what his health limitations are (if any), his voice is there ... it's his power that's lacking. If he can lose some weight and regain (some of) that lung power, he would be able to go out with a bang. He hasn't lost any of his tone and he still sounds like Lou ... he just talks a lot more than he sings, and that's because he doesn't seem to have his wind back yet. Regardless, I'd go see him in a minute.
User avatar
Saint John
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 21737
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:31 pm
Location: Uranus

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:13 am

Saint John wrote:If he can progress as significantly from this year to next year as he did from last year to this year, yes, I could see this happening. But regardless of what his voice is like, there would be something awfully special about him doing one more small tour.

Honestly, and I don't know what his health limitations are (if any), his voice is there ... it's his power that's lacking. If he can lose some weight and regain (some of) that lung power, he would be able to go out with a bang. He hasn't lost any of his tone and he still sounds like Lou ... he just talks a lot more than he sings, and that's because he doesn't seem to have his wind back yet. Regardless, I'd go see him in a minute.


Agreed. At least he is sounding like a tenor again, which is something that couldn't be said a few years back. His voice can handle the slower-paced ballads. It's still not up to par for rocking tracks like Jukebox Hero, but who knows what the future holds? Lately, he's been talking about retirement.

As for health problems...I know in recent interviews he says his adrenal glands don't work as a result of his surgery, and takes one shot plus 14 pills daily.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 12410
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Postby mrsromek » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:07 am

I saw Lou at some fest about 3 years ago and he sounded damn good to me. Maybe not as good as he did back in the day, but it worked.

I'm not a fan of the Foreigner tribute band (or most of these bands that go out with 1-3 members and call themselves that band) that currently tours and plays the same crap each year. I saw this version of Foreigner in 2007 and I think their setlist was the same this past summer. What's funny is that 25 of the 30 people in our group that night thought Lou was still in the band until I let them know otherwise.

How would they bill the tour, Foreigner featuring Lou Gramm?
mrsromek
45 RPM
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:07 am

Postby BRETT5150 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:29 pm

keep the same line-up please. kellys great and he does it well. the new album is one of my faves in recent years.
What is understood need not be discussed
BRETT5150
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:01 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Postby Saint John » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:55 am

mrsromek wrote:I saw Lou at some fest about 3 years ago and he sounded damn good to me. Maybe not as good as he did back in the day, but it worked.

I'm not a fan of the Foreigner tribute band (or most of these bands that go out with 1-3 members and call themselves that band) that currently tours and plays the same crap each year. I saw this version of Foreigner in 2007 and I think their setlist was the same this past summer. What's funny is that 25 of the 30 people in our group that night thought Lou was still in the band until I let them know otherwise.

How would they bill the tour, Foreigner featuring Lou Gramm?


Bands evolve, man. The songs stay the same, but sometimes members need to/want to be replaced. They'll call themselves the same thing they always have ... Foreigner. 'Cuz that's what they are ... with or without Lou Gramm. :)
User avatar
Saint John
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 21737
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:31 pm
Location: Uranus

Postby mrsromek » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:14 pm

Oh yeah, I know they do. I think we also all know that it's about dollars. Why bother playing rare tracks, etc, or touring on your own and playing smaller venues (or even bars) when only 200-500 people might show up? Package tours are the way to go, even though I'm not the biggest fan of them-especially when the setlists (or the bands) never seems to change at all.
mrsromek
45 RPM
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:07 am

Postby Saint John » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:31 am

mrsromek wrote:Oh yeah, I know they do. I think we also all know that it's about dollars. Why bother playing rare tracks, etc, or touring on your own and playing smaller venues (or even bars) when only 200-500 people might show up? Package tours are the way to go, even though I'm not the biggest fan of them-especially when the setlists (or the bands) never seems to change at all.


I completely agree. The bad thing is that casual fans generally make up about 90% of any given audience and they flip out if they don't hear every single hit song. It's probably tough for groups to play the same songs over and over, but, like you said, it's what pays the bills. :wink:

I'm a big fan of these impromptu shows where bands just show up and play whatever the hell they want. That seems to be one of the only ways to really let loose on some older songs. Listening parties and impromptu shows are great ways to showcase new and old music. Sadly, very few bands do this anymore, though.
User avatar
Saint John
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 21737
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:31 pm
Location: Uranus

Postby mrsromek » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:19 am

It just bugs me when members are still alive and they cannot reconcile for a bit and do a proper farewell tour/gigs. Then, retire, call it quits, move on, whatever. Then again, look at KISS. They tried to, I guess, and then Gene got rid of the two after what, two farewell tours? Now I've heard they are still great live with Tommy and Eric-and more money in Gene and Paul's pockets by not having Criss and Ace around.
mrsromek
45 RPM
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:07 am

Postby Glenn » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:44 pm

mrsromek wrote:It just bugs me when members are still alive and they cannot reconcile for a bit and do a proper farewell tour/gigs. Then, retire, call it quits, move on, whatever. Then again, look at KISS. They tried to, I guess, and then Gene got rid of the two after what, two farewell tours? Now I've heard they are still great live with Tommy and Eric-and more money in Gene and Paul's pockets by not having Criss and Ace around.



Allow me to set the record straight....There was only ONE Farewell tour...2000. And it was also stated it was the Farewell Tour of the original 4 in makeup.


I heard Gene say this on almost every radio interview back then...

Ace and Peter, when brought back for the reunion tour were brought back as employes...They had contracts and when the contracts were up, Gene and Paul were to decide if another contract was in order. In late 2000, Peter wanted more money and massively upped his price thinking that they would not go on without him...think again. Ace walked away in 2001.
User avatar
Glenn
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1262
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:30 am
Location: TEXAS


Return to Foreigner / Lou Gramm Band

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest