New Foreigner cd is lousy

Can't Slow Down

Moderator: Andrew

New Foreigner cd is lousy

Postby bulldog » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:01 am

:cry: I am very disappointed in the sound of the new Foreigner 3 pack disc. I can't believe how weak the new digital recordings of the hits are. I am a huge Foreigner die hard fan and I am so disappointed .

The band sounds awesome live in concert and brings great energy to these hits . Kelly Hansen is a great singer but doesn't do a great job here . Kelly doesn't have Lou Gramm's emotion or powerful voice . Mick Jones guitar sounds weak . These re-records do not even come close to the original cuts . They sound like a trubute band .. Terrible ! I am surprised Mick Jones didn't rock hard here . The tunes of Can't Slow Down are much better produced and have that magical sound. Now I think Lou Gramm should get back in the studio and re-cut these tunes and see where the rock and roll came from !

The acoustic cd is ok. Nothing really stands out .. There is no wow or excitement here .

Buy Can't Slow Down instead and the 2 Extended Versions Cds At Walmart for $ 5 instead . This is proof you can't beat the original vibe with the original guys. Nobody can replace the great Lou Gramm .. !
bulldog
Ol' 78

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:16 am

I just got it, only half way through D1 Acoustique....

I did cheat ahead and listen to the new electric version of LLWFH and was not moved. Kelly in particular sounded ho hum.
I usually like stuff like this though, so I'm sure I'll find a lot to like here as well.

Curious to see how it sells.

Seems to be this route is what WalMart initially wanted to do with Journey's Revelation but Neal pushed for a second disc of all new songs.

I can see Foreigner going for it as they're barely 2 years out from an album that took a 15 years to conceive.

This could be done quickly without the pain of writing.

PS had NO frigging clue about LiLo's ex-boyfriend being Mick's step daughter until I saw her on the album credits and then read up on it. :o
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby bulldog » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:23 am

:) It just doesn't have that vibe ! The new re-records are incomplete. Urgent and Feels Like The First Time seem to use the old music specially for the opening . Hot Blooded sounds week and lacks the power of the original track .

I am just surprised that Mick Jones is actually going to be happy with this . Lou Gramm's voice and the passion and power made the songs special. Maybe because he co-wrote most of them. Kelly is a great singer but he is not Lou Gramm . Nobody could recapture what was recorded 30 plus years ago.

Can't Slow Down sounds much more like Foreigner than this new stuff.
bulldog
Ol' 78

Postby Red13JoePa » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:05 am

Where are the guitars on the new song Save Me :?:
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:16 am

Love Kelly, but his performance on "Can't Slow Down" does nothing for me. Voice is very blah and monotone. Which is odd, cuz live he rules. Will be picking up the new 3-disc cd after work today.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Slander » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:58 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Love Kelly, but his performance on "Can't Slow Down" does nothing for me. Voice is very blah and monotone. Which is odd, cuz live he rules. Will be picking up the new 3-disc cd after work today.

I think it's a great value at 11 bucks. I enjoyed Kelly's take on the songs but clearly this isn't is as good as Can't Slow Down, and how can it be? Kelly's got to clear an awful high bar to match Lou Gramm in his prime. Now having said that, I am grateful Foreigner is still around thanks to Kelly. Lou does not cut it any more and that's a real shame.
"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby G.I.Jim » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:03 pm

Slander wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:Love Kelly, but his performance on "Can't Slow Down" does nothing for me. Voice is very blah and monotone. Which is odd, cuz live he rules. Will be picking up the new 3-disc cd after work today.

I think it's a great value at 11 bucks. I enjoyed Kelly's take on the songs but clearly this isn't is as good as Can't Slow Down, and how can it be? Kelly's got to clear an awful high bar to match Lou Gramm in his prime. Now having said that, I am grateful Foreigner is still around thanks to Kelly. Lou does not cut it any more and that's a real shame.

Couldn't agree more with this post! I think it's cool to hear his take on the electric originals, and like you said... it's hard to compare with Lou in his prime. I did enjoy hearing the acoustic takes on the songs also, as I think they did a great job stripping them down. I'm just peeved that they didn't include my favorite song of all time... That Was Yesterday. :?

I watched the dvd, and while i have several others, I really liked the quality of this one. The sound quality was great as well. Is this the best album? HELL no. It is a great deal at $11.88 though, and definitely worth it. I'm glad that Kelly gives us a chance to still see a great band. He does a great job, and they couldn't have found a better replacement for Lou. :wink:
The artist formerly known as Jim. :-)
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby Slander » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:15 am

G.I.Jim wrote:[ I'm just peeved that they didn't include my favorite song of all time... That Was Yesterday. :?
:wink:

Also would like to hear Down On Love, Heart Turns To Stone, and would love his take on some songs like Low Down and Dirty and I'll fight for you. Am I the only person that really likes Unusual Heat?
"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby G.I.Jim » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:11 am

Slander wrote:
G.I.Jim wrote:[ I'm just peeved that they didn't include my favorite song of all time... That Was Yesterday. :?
:wink:

Also would like to hear Down On Love, Heart Turns To Stone, and would love his take on some songs like Low Down and Dirty and I'll fight for you. Am I the only person that really likes Unusual Heat?

Yep! Lol!! No, I'm with you. That is a great album. :wink:
The artist formerly known as Jim. :-)
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby Red13JoePa » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:02 am

Slander wrote: Am I the only person that really likes Unusual Heat?

Nope.

I love it.
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Slander » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:03 am

Red13JoePa wrote:

Nope.

I love it.

Hi Red, good to see you here. Any idea what the hell happened to Johnny Edwards?
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:48 pm

Slander wrote:
Red13JoePa wrote:

Nope.

I love it.

Hi Red, good to see you here. Any idea what the hell happened to Johnny Edwards?

Great Foreigner album. Waaay better than the snore that is "Can't Slow Down". As for Edwards, here's a recentish profile of him.

http://www.louisvillemusicnews.net/webm ... ny_Edwards
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Abitaman » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:47 am

Red13JoePa wrote:

Nope.

I love it.

One of my top 3 Foreigner cds.
And the boot concerts of that tour are awesome
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:53 am

New track, "Save Me", does nothing for me. If this is the best Foreigner can come up with, maybe Mick should collaborate with Lou.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Slander » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:47 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:New track, "Save Me", does nothing for me. If this is the best Foreigner can come up with, maybe Mick should collaborate with Lou.

Can Lou even sing? Better yet what kind of showman is he now? Listen, I love the old days with Lou, and in a perfect world wish it were the original line up but I live in reality and Kelly has kept the FOREIGNER name alive.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Aaron » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:45 am

Yes. Check at 1:00 and tell me he can't bring it any more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFuZJ6GHqEg

Slander wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:New track, "Save Me", does nothing for me. If this is the best Foreigner can come up with, maybe Mick should collaborate with Lou.

Can Lou even sing? Better yet what kind of showman is he now? Listen, I love the old days with Lou, and in a perfect world wish it were the original line up but I live in reality and Kelly has kept the FOREIGNER name alive.
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Slander » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:08 am

Aaron wrote:Yes. Check at 1:00 and tell me he can't bring it any more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFuZJ6GHqEg

[/quote]

He sounds great! He really does. Not sure he would cut it as a front man anymore, but that's just my opinion. Listen, I love Lou! I do. Midnight Blue is one of my all-time favs, but I think Kelly deserves some credit!
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Yoda » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:47 am

Just to be clear, we are talking about their album from a couple of years ago, correct? This one?

“Do or do not... there is no try.”
Yoda
8 Track

Postby Slander » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:54 am

Yoda wrote:Just to be clear, we are talking about their album from a couple of years ago, correct? This one?

Yes, I think Kelly deserves a lot of credit for keeping FOREIGNER alive. Mick deserves credit as well for assembly a great band together even though it is not the original line up.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Yoda » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:58 am

OK good. I just wanted to be clear. I have listened to the new CD and the remix CD. I love them both. I haven't watched the DVD though (I suppose it's a DVD I haven't even taken it out of the case.)
“Do or do not... there is no try.”
Yoda
8 Track

Return to Foreigner / Lou Gramm Band