Loverboy

Loverboy, Triumph, Coney Hatch, Kim Mitchell, Tom Cochrane, Glass Tiger...the list goes on...

Moderator: Andrew

Loverboy

Postby RedWingFan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:19 am

Hey Andrew. I thought the new cd was to be released in late June. Wazzup???
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Red13JoePa » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:12 am

Last I saw Andrew update it (week or 2 ago on the Noticeboard) he said the album is still in mastering and/or mixing right now.

But I just saw theses dudes live on On Demand (or at least 2006) and holy shit do they still absolutely ROCK.

Look forward to the record.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby RedWingFan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:14 am

Red13JoePa wrote:Last I saw Andrew update it (week or 2 ago on the Noticeboard) he said the album is still in mastering and/or mixing right now.

But I just saw theses dudes live on On Demand (or at least 2006) and holy shit do they still absolutely ROCK.

Look forward to the record.

Good looking out Joepa! Thanks
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby 7 Wishes » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:29 pm

I saw them about six weeks ago...Reno is bigger than the 'Loaf these days, but he sings his ASS off! He was flawless, as usual. The guy has NEVER had an off night live. He's one of the most underrated MR singers in the world.

They played a few tunes off the new record...pretty well received, but "I Want to Be the One" brought tears to my eyes...and that made me look like a jackass, since I was by myself in a crowd full of 30- and 40-somethings. It's going to be worth buying the whole album for that one song alone - it's that good.

I don't know about the rest of you, but most of my former concert-going friends got married and "started dying little by little, piece by piece". I can't drag anyone out to see any band these days.

"I'm 37..I'm not old!"
7 Wishes
Stereo LP

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:53 am

Yea, Reno's a little meatier than the Get Lucky days but who cares?

I want him to SING not flex, and he surely can do the former.
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby 7 Wishes » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:50 am

Yeah, I think if you stitched both of those red leather pants legs together, he couldn't get ONE leg into those pants these days. Why doesn't this guy get more love? He has a great rock voice, and he can belt with the best of 'em.

Red13, are you going to Indiana?
7 Wishes
Stereo LP

Postby RockInDetroit » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:10 am

I used to love these guys. But I have noticed that each album gets progressively worse. Six was terrible.....one decent song. So I have my doubts about the new cd. Still last time I saw them live they were really good. Too bad it has been like forever since they came. Last time they came to Detroit they weren't even advertised as opening for REO. The concert came into town "come see REO Speedwagon" and they did not even tell anyone Loverboy was the opening act. I hope things pick up a little for these guys.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby 7 Wishes » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:27 am

I don't know...they drew 3,500 at an outdoor makeshift stage in Charlotte. It was packed.
7 Wishes
Stereo LP

Postby 7 Wishes » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:48 am

VI had

"Maybe Someday"
"Big Picture"
"Hair of the Dog"

Awesome songs - the first two are rockin' power ballads, and the last one kicks serious ass. The rest of the record is kinda lame, though.
7 Wishes
Stereo LP

Postby Deuce » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:34 am

I came here to find out about the album as well. I could see a new Loverboy album hitting the spot. I can't find anything about it on their site. I saw them last night and it was quite good. They played the new song and it works very well live. I was glad to see them again because I saw them for the first time last summer and they seemed to be doing a great job in terms of performance and set list, but something was terribly wrong with the sound.

So, I guess that no one else knows anything about the album, either. Let's be sure to post the news here if we hear anything. Of course, we'll probably hear it first on this site.
Deuce
Ol' 78

Postby Andrew » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:43 am

AUGUST folks....not long now....
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Dux » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:10 am

Aww, our old thread from last summer is gone. Drats. Some good stuff on that one.

Anyway, I saw Loverboy last summer at the Square Fair in Lima OH. They sounded great despite the sound crew sucking so badly. And I swear, Reno's teeth were gone. I think his weight change is from diabetes and that's to be expected from anyone over 40.

I hope their new album goes over well. The show I saw, Reno did NOT hit any high notes...they were faked, which was too bad. He was good back in the day. I guess we don't all age gracefully.
Dux
Radio Waves

Postby 7 Wishes » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:58 am

He must have been having problems with laryngitis or an illness, because he was 100% spot on in May, and all the reviews from the rest of the tour support that contention.
7 Wishes
Stereo LP

Postby RedWingFan » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:13 pm

Andrew wrote:AUGUST folks....not long now....

It's October here. WTF???? Ah, Nov. 7th. Got it. Wait that's a Wednesday.
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:13 am

Got Just Getting Started and I'm kinda "eh" on it right now.

I don't like Paul Dean doing on lead vox, either.
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby 7 Wishes » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:54 pm

Say it isn't so, JoePa! This is their best record ever, bar none!!!
7 Wishes
Stereo LP

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:11 pm

It's not bad, it rocks pretty hard but there's not enough tension, a decided lack of hooks for me.

It's like a Journey Trial By Fire...all the players were there but where's the great Separate Ways/Hot Girls In Love tension?
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Deuce » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:41 am

I was a bit underwhelmed by it, but it is a good album. I gave it quite a few spins when I first got it (that's what I usually like to do with an album), but I haven't listened to it for a few weeks now. I thought that it would rock a bit harder and I agree with Red13JoePa that it seems to lack hooks. Still, it is an enjoyable release, I'm VERY glad that they decided to do a new album, and it will be a good listen from time to time. I give it about an 8/10.
Deuce
Ol' 78

Postby lavender » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:14 am

I love these guys and always will! I get crap sometimes for it but i really don't care! They're good in concert and the songs are so darn catchy.
lavender
Radio Waves

Loverboy cd

Postby RockInDetroit » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:28 am

I agree with 7 Wishes this new Loverboy cd is great. I won’t say it is their best cd ever but honestly this cd has 10 great songs.

Lacking Hooks??????? Come on! Try listening to these tracks again. #7, #4, #5, #1 and #8. The cd is very melodic in my mind. In the year 2008 you can not ask for a better record from an 80’s band.
RockInDetroit
LP

Re: Loverboy cd

Postby RedWingFan » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:18 am

RockInDetroit wrote:I agree with 7 Wishes this new Loverboy cd is great. I won’t say it is their best cd ever but honestly this cd has 10 great songs.

Lacking Hooks??????? Come on! Try listening to these tracks again. #7, #4, #5, #1 and #8. The cd is very melodic in my mind. In the year 2008 you can not ask for a better record from an 80’s band.

Agree 100%. Great cd, full of hooks, catchy as hell!
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Slander » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:12 am

RedWingFan wrote:
RockInDetroit wrote:I agree with 7 Wishes this new Loverboy cd is great. I won’t say it is their best cd ever but honestly this cd has 10 great songs.

Agree 100%. Great cd, full of hooks, catchy as hell!

Just Getting Started is great! He RedWingFan here is an interview I just conducted with Mike Reno last week if you are interested. What a great guy.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VDZ3AzYQRBk
"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Slander » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:30 am

7 Wishes wrote:Say it isn't so, JoePa! This is their best record ever, bar none!!!

Hey 7, I couldn't agree more. This album is great. It is one of the most hook filled albums I have heard in a long time. I recently interviewd Reno about it if you are interested here's the link on youtube:http://youtube.com/watch?v=VDZ3AzYQRBk
"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby 7 Wishes » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:26 pm

Slander wrote:
RedWingFan wrote:Just Getting Started is great! He RedWingFan here is an interview I just conducted with Mike Reno last week if you are interested. What a great guy.

Man, you don't look anything like your brother, dude. :wink:

Seriously...great interview. You're a very talented reporter, Slander. Very professional, knowledgeable, and engaging.
7 Wishes
Stereo LP

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:41 pm

There's no arguing that Reno still sounds fantastic but I just don't get the album yet.

Gonna listen again over the weekend.
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Slander » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:01 am

7 Wishes wrote:
Slander wrote:
RedWingFan wrote:Just Getting Started is great! He RedWingFan here is an interview I just conducted with Mike Reno last week if you are interested. What a great guy.

Seriously...great interview. You're a very talented reporter, Slander. Very professional, knowledgeable, and engaging.

7 thanks for the kind words. Mike was generous with his time. He also let's you get to know him. It makes doing the interview fun. He also told me he would like to record "Remember the Heroes" again. What a great song. Thanks again 7.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Slander » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:09 am

Red13JoePa wrote:There's no arguing that Reno still sounds fantastic but I just don't get the album yet.

Gonna listen again over the weekend.

I just saw Loverboy in Tacoma in December! Reno sounds great. Please give "just getting started" another spin Red. It has a great vibe to it. I don't think there is a weak song on the album.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby 7 Wishes » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:49 pm

Red, you think Generations was Journey's best effort since Frontiers, but "don't get" Just Getting Started.

I just don't get it, dude.
7 Wishes
Stereo LP

Postby RockInDetroit » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:06 am

Slander wrote:
7 Wishes wrote:
Slander wrote:

7 thanks for the kind words. Mike was generous with his time. He also let's you get to know him. It makes doing the interview fun. He also told me he would like to record "Remember the Heroes" again. What a great song. Thanks again 7.

When I get some freetime at home I will definitely watch your Reno interview...sounds very interested.

So he is going to remake Remember the Heroes....yes great song but what differently would he do to it? Did he not like the original version? Would it be with Hagar again?
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby Slander » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:01 am

RockInDetroit wrote:
Slander wrote:
7 Wishes wrote:
Slander wrote:

When I get some freetime at home I will definitely watch your Reno interview...sounds very interested.

So he is going to remake Remember the Heroes....yes great song but what differently would he do to it? Did he not like the original version? Would it be with Hagar again?

Mike said it would be a good time to do it because of Iraq. I agree. What a great song. We just talked about it briefly. I don't think there is a plan to re-cut it. I hope he does. Doe you like hagar?
Slander
Stereo LP

Next

Return to Canadian Rock Bands